Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Front Rack for Trek Hybrid

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-18, 06:25 PM
kerouac1957

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have a 2017 Trek FX3 that I’m slowly getting ready for bike touring. I haven’t had much luck with finding front rack that will work. My local Trek store hasn’t been much help with the recommendations. Has anyone else put a front rack on their Trek hybrid and how has it worked?
Old 05-05-18, 06:52 PM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 759 Times in 568 Posts
Hi; welcome! What type of rack are you looking to install? A front pannier rack (sometimes called low rider racks) where you can hang a pannier bag on each side of the fork, or a higher rack up near the bar, at about the same height as a front basket?
Old 05-05-18, 07:42 PM
kerouac1957

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I’m open to either a low rider or a higher one. My thought is to be able to carry my tent and sleeping bag in front when traveling, or put some groceries when grocery shopping. I have looked at the Specialized Pizza Box, some by Soma and Surly, and the Tubus Tara for a low rider. But with their costs being not cheap, I want to make sure what I buy will work. My front fork does not have any front attachments, only one on each side of the front fork.
Old 05-06-18, 06:27 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 759 Times in 568 Posts
The Specialized Pizza Box mount looks pretty cool. It looks like it mounts to the bike using three points -- the mid-point rack mounts on the fork and the brake hole in the fork crown. According to Trek's Archive website, your fork does have the mid-point rack mounts on the side, and you will have a brake hole in the fork crown, but it looks like the linear pull brake cable may be directly in front of that, which could conflict with the rack's top strut, which mounts to the fork using that hole in the crown. You could install linear pull brakes with either longer or shorter arms, to better uncover that hole for the rack strut.

Since you do have linear pull brakes with the brake bosses, you do have some more options for racks, as a number of them use the brake bosses as mounting points. For example, the Velo Orange website has as good number of front rack options, some of which utilize the brake bosses (cantilever and linear pull brakes use the same mounting points, so they are equivalent from that regard). Most of those have in-use pictures if you click on each style to give you some ideas on how you could mount them.