Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recreational & Family
Reload this Page >

8 year old can't ride a bike please help

Notices
Recreational & Family Ride just to ride? Have a family and want to get them into cycling? Drop in here to discuss recreational and family cycling issues.

Old 06-17-09, 01:18 PM
cldwingnut

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

my 8 year old daughter who lives with her mom brought to my attention that she hasn't learned to ride a bike yet and dosn't even own one. My parrents have 2 older bicycles that were my younger sisters one is a 20 inch Huffy single speed coaster brake, you know the ones with the pads painted pink, yes its a Huffy but a made in the USA vintage and free. the other is a bigger bike not sure of the brand but nicer quality 18 speed with handbrakes. My thoughts are to teach her on the Huffy even though she is slightly too big for it then move her up to the 18 speed. If she lived with me I'd buy her a new nice bike but for every other weekend and the few blocks that will be ridden on it the 18 speed should be more then sufficient. OH and I will have it looked over by a LBS.

What are your thoughts on this idea. What is the best way to teach and older child to ride esp one that is a little afraid of the bicycle. Any thoughts or ideas would be apreaciated.

Thank You
Old 06-17-09, 02:15 PM
limeylew

Bikes: A 3-speed fixed, a single speed (freewheel), etc.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cldwingnut
my 8 year old daughter who lives with her mom brought to my attention that she hasn't learned to ride a bike yet and dosn't even own one. My parrents have 2 older bicycles that were my younger sisters one is a 20 inch Huffy single speed coaster brake, you know the ones with the pads painted pink, yes its a Huffy but a made in the USA vintage and free. the other is a bigger bike not sure of the brand but nicer quality 18 speed with handbrakes. My thoughts are to teach her on the Huffy even though she is slightly too big for it then move her up to the 18 speed. If she lived with me I'd buy her a new nice bike but for every other weekend and the few blocks that will be ridden on it the 18 speed should be more then sufficient. OH and I will have it looked over by a LBS.

What are your thoughts on this idea. What is the best way to teach and older child to ride esp one that is a little afraid of the bicycle. Any thoughts or ideas would be apreaciated.

Thank You
Get her a scooter first, so she can learn the 'balancing' thing.

Good luck.
Old 06-17-09, 02:20 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1349 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
Take the pedals off and let her scoot around on a bike.
When she is ready for pedals she will tell you.

Old 06-17-09, 02:45 PM
avmanansala

Bikes: Cannondale Road Warrior

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by limeylew
Get her a scooter first, so she can learn the 'balancing' thing.

Good luck.
+2 My son had a hard time learning how to balance without training wheels. We got him a scooter (Razor) and he picked up his balance inside of two weeks. Had a neighbor do the same thing with the same result. Just about all the kids in the neighborhood ride now.
Old 06-17-09, 02:52 PM
atbman

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Search teaching a kid/child to ride on this section - umpteen threads on it.

However...

1. Remove pedals (LH pedal has LH thread, i.e. opposite to normal
2. Make sure she can reach ground easily with feet but legs not very bent
3a) find gentle slope, preferably leading to level ground, and get her to roll down it until she can keep her feet off the floor for a decent distance
or
3b) If no slope, get her to "walk" the bike along until the same thing happens
4. When she can travel at sufficient speed to keep her feet of the ground and steer reasonably well, put the pedals back on and then your troubles start.
5. Once she can ride, she may need a helping hand to get going until her muscles become strong/co-ordinated enough. If so, place your hand on her back, don't push the bike - it will then go where you're pushing it, which may not quite be where she's steering it.

Good luck.

By the way, there are some very good tips to be garnered from a BBC East Midlands programme which is on their website, where an adult reporter is taught to ride on line - I'll try and find it (in fact it's on this forum under the heading "Kylielearns to ride and then takes a trip". The teaching is a model of clarity and structure.
Old 06-18-09, 09:27 PM
jenly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
on that tiny huffy you might not even need to remove the pedals first
Old 06-21-09, 11:27 PM
Velo Dog

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
This is what I did with both my kids, in addition to lowering the seat a little so they could put their feet flat on the ground easily. We live across the street from a school with a very slight slope to the ground, so with a little push, they could coast quite a distance. My daughter (best athlete in the family by far) picked it up in about 10 minutes at age 5. My son was a little older and did a lot of 8-foot rides before he finally made it all the way across, but as I recall (it was 20 years ago), it took a couple of half-hour sessions before he was zooming in circles. Then put the pedals back on as footrests, and soon they'll be riding.
Incidentally, I was 10 or 11 before I learned to ride, and I've been doing it for more than 50 years now.
Old 06-21-09, 11:46 PM
prathmann

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Removing the pedals is a big help since it avoids hurt ankles and shins from hitting the pedals - and with a reluctant learner you definitely want to avoid anything that hurts.

As others have indicated, the main thing is to use a bike that's small enough so the child can comfortably sit on the lowered seat and have their feet flat on the ground even with a slight bend at the knees. That way they can stop any incipient fall by just stepping down on the ground. Removing the fear of falling provides the confidence to try coasting for longer and longer distances.

Should take under an hour to get the balancing down well enough to coast for extended distances and steer the bike in the desired direction. Then adding the pedals (still with a much lower than normal seat) and learning to ride comes very quickly - especially if they've ever ridden a tricycle. Finally start raising the seat in small increments to get more efficient pedaling.
Old 06-27-09, 03:31 PM
mappable

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
tube handle on seat

use an old tube wrapped around the seat post as a handle to help their balance on the bike.

it beats bending over trying to hold the seat on the smaller 12" wheeled bikes.

this method worked quickly with our 4 year old. he was scared of losing the training wheels, but we made him lose them on his birthday.
Old 06-27-09, 05:22 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,686 Times in 2,509 Posts
My son never really wanted to ride, and then finally he decided he had to learn at age 9. I thought about removing the pedals, but I don't know if he would have followed up on that at his advanced age. So I did the old "push the kid until he figures out how to balance" trick. Worked with my daughter, she learned in about 30 minutes. My son wouldn't balance, he forced me to do it for him. I think my neck never recovered from that... Still only took a few hours over 2 sessions.
Old 06-29-09, 12:33 PM
wilda.gardens

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had a unique method for teaching my kids to learn to ride a bike. Neither of them had a lot of interest at first, but I did the old hold seat thing for each of them. The difference for me was, I was always on my roller blades when I was holding the bike. That way I could coast next to them and let them get up to speed a bit before I would attempt to let them go for awhile. I know this won't work for everyone, but it did wonders for the kids confidence and it made me feel good about being the one to teach them how to ride.

Last edited by wilda.gardens; 06-30-09 at 05:32 AM.
Old 06-29-09, 06:40 PM
gcottay

Bikes: Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Already been some good techniques suggested here so I will only add

Relax
Have Fun
No Rush
Ice Cream Breaks Work Wonders
Shop Together for Pink Streamers
Old 07-23-17, 05:13 AM
bluboy

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Stupid responses

First, is the child learning disabled or Autistic? Maybe you should mind your own business. I know a child that was 11 and had these issues. She could never roller skate and learned to ride a bike but was hit by a car because she can't deal with all the things around her and riding too.

You shouldnt endanger this child by tying a tube around her. These PEOPLE ARE ********. An old bike IS NOT GOOD. Safety issues have been dealt with since then. If you are so nosy that you want to interfere with how her Guardians are dealing with her, then get your cheap a_ _ to a Walmart and buy a bicycle for $70. Buy one with TRAINING WHEELS or order the TRAINING WHEELS separately.

TRAINING WHEELS are a SAFE WAY TO LEARN.
Old 07-23-17, 06:03 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3084 Post(s)
Liked 6,561 Times in 3,763 Posts
Chill out.

The OP never states the child has any learning disabilities. Nobody mentions anything about tying a tube to the child. The OP came asking for help and forum members offered some valid ideas. So nobody needs to "mind their own business". Except, maybe you.

Originally Posted by bluboy
First, is the child learning disabled or Autistic? Maybe you should mind your own business. I know a child that was 11 and had these issues. She could never roller skate and learned to ride a bike but was hit by a car because she can't deal with all the things around her and riding too.

You shouldnt endanger this child by tying a tube around her. These PEOPLE ARE ********. An old bike IS NOT GOOD. Safety issues have been dealt with since then. If you are so nosy that you want to interfere with how her Guardians are dealing with her, then get your cheap a_ _ to a Walmart and buy a bicycle for $70. Buy one with TRAINING WHEELS or order the TRAINING WHEELS separately.

Old 07-23-17, 08:06 AM
JonathanGennick 

Bikes: Priority 600, Priority Continuum, Devinci Dexter

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 37 Posts
It's been eight years. I trust the child has learned by now
Old 07-23-17, 08:16 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3084 Post(s)
Liked 6,561 Times in 3,763 Posts
Originally Posted by JonathanGennick
It's been eight years. I trust the child has learned by now
Ha! I didn't notice that this was a Zombie Thread.
Old 07-25-17, 07:43 PM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 145 Posts
Originally Posted by bluboy

Holy mother of pearl!!! Did you just register here and revive a zombie thread just so you can show off your epic curmudgeon self?
Old 07-25-17, 07:49 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5764 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,404 Posts
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
+1

2 year old children routinely master so-called balance bikes in an hour or so, often much faster.

Removing the pedals and lowering the seat so she can place both feet on the floor will solve the confidence issue, and she'll master the "steer to balance" coordination which is key to bicycling. Once that's programmed, it's there for life (it's true that you cannot forget how to ride a bike), and then you can raise the seat and mount the pedals, so she can add this second skill to the first and be good to go.

BTW - you can't "teach" someone how to ride a bike. It's learned naturally during play, and anything you try to add only gets in the way. Set up the bike as described, take her to a safe wide open place to play with it. Be sure to bring a lawn chair, beer cooler and entertainment because you're not needed.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 07-25-17, 07:56 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
She is 16 now.
Old 07-25-17, 08:01 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Add me to the list of those who HATE zombie threads.

However, we never know who might see it and find it of interest for themselves, so there's never any harm in rehashing good ideas.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

Old 07-25-17, 08:14 PM
flxbike

Bikes: FLX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cldwingnut

Thank You
You could get him a balance bike and/or try easing him into riding on a tandem bike.
Old 07-25-17, 08:31 PM
prathmann

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
Removing the pedals and lowering the seat so she can place both feet on the floor will solve the confidence issue, and she'll master the "steer to balance" coordination which is key to bicycling. Once that's programmed, it's there for life (it's true that you cannot forget how to ride a bike)
This video shows that one can indeed forget how to ride a bike - but it takes considerable effort.
Old 07-25-17, 08:41 PM
FBinNY 

Originally Posted by prathmann
This video shows that one can indeed forget how to ride a bike - but it takes considerable effort.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFzDaBzBlL0
Actually, as you know, it shows how riding a bicycle is so deeply programmed in our brains that it's near impossible to unlearn and reprogram.

Old 07-27-17, 12:29 AM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

Bikes: 3 Chinese Gas Pipe Nerdcycles and 2 Chicago Electroforged Boat Anchors

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 2358 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott
She is 16 now.
Yeah, Dad has bigger things to worry about now.
Old 07-28-17, 04:39 PM
Quator94
Marco Junger eBike Expert

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SquidPuppet
Yeah, Dad has bigger things to worry about now.
But you mean also something with "riding" E Bike 45 kmh

Last edited by Quator94; 08-09-18 at 04:19 PM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.