Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

Your Motivation For Becoming Car-Free or Car-Light

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Your Motivation For Becoming Car-Free or Car-Light

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-14, 04:28 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuchi
I guess I want specifics about which bike lock to get. I know you can lock them, but the thieves are pretty good at cutting them off or what ever. A trailer sounds too cumbersome. I have to carry my bike down apartment stairs. I don't know what a pannier or a long tail bike are, I'm going to look those up. I'm thinking about getting this bike when I save up enough: https://www.xootr.com/folding-bicycle.html. But it's so expensive, I would die if somebody stole it. Thanks for the advice.
These are all points that are crying for their own threads. The problem with dealing with these issues here is that they are basically inaccessible to others. So please start some threads!! If you have a question, many others are wondering the same thing....

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 01-14-14, 05:53 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuchi
I haven't gone car free yet, but I am thinking about it, mainly for financial reasons. But I have questions on how to do it. I live in a big city. How do you keep your bike from being stolen when you leave it outside the store? I have been looking at the fordable bikes, but I kind of doubt if I could get away with bringing them inside and shopping with them. I'm also thinking I would have to make a lot of trips to the store to get groceries, which will be kind of a pain because I buy a lot of cat litter, cat food and bottled water (my apartment has undrinkable water). I do not think I would be able to transport my cats to the vet on a bike, I think I would have to get a ride or take a taxi for that. My other concern is just how scary it is to ride a bike in the horrible traffic here.
The issue of going completely car-free with pets is one I've had, too! I'm going to start a thread.
Old 01-14-14, 06:02 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 3943 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 92 Posts
We debate all the time about why to live car-free (which is very important), but the forum was set up to discuss how to live car free so it is great to see these questions come up and I want to see those new threads.
Old 01-14-14, 06:22 PM
Chuchi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cooker
We debate all the time about why to live car-free (which is very important), but the forum was set up to discuss how to live car free so it is great to see these questions come up and I want to see those new threads.
I just started a new thread.
Old 01-14-14, 07:56 PM
mister

Bikes: Checkpoint SL 7.5, FX 4

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts
For me, going car light had nothing to do with going green, reducing my carbon footprint, not wanting a car, etc. and everything to do with finances. When we looked at how much we could save a month, and that the money I got from my car paid off multiple credit cards, it was a no brainer. We didn't need two cars and if I need to travel for work, they pay for it.
Old 01-15-14, 02:18 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by mister
For me, going car light had nothing to do with going green, reducing my carbon footprint, not wanting a car, etc. and everything to do with finances. When we looked at how much we could save a month, and that the money I got from my car paid off multiple credit cards, it was a no brainer. We didn't need two cars and if I need to travel for work, they pay for it.
Yep!

I had been keeping track of how much my ex and my vehicle cost us for a while, and when it was totalled, we didn't replace it. What a savings!! In no time, I had paid off all my debt and had taken a trip to Europe.
Old 11-09-14, 05:13 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Especially for the newcomers to the forum ... what's your motivation for being car free or car light?
Old 03-20-15, 07:11 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Originally Posted by Machka
Especially for the newcomers to the forum ... what's your motivation for being car free or car light?
2015 bump ...

Why are you, or were you, car-free or car-light? What motivated you to take that step?

There are threads here from people wanting encouragement to become car-free or car-light ... maybe sharing what motivated those of us who have gone that route will encourage others.
Old 03-20-15, 09:32 PM
MikeRides

Bikes: Trek 1.1

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
My motivation for becoming car light was to lose weight and get fit, then maintain said fitness(which is what I'm working on now). I work 12 hours a day, 6 days a week, and when I'm not working I'm a single parent, so when would I otherwise find time to get exercise in?
Old 03-20-15, 09:47 PM
mcfastie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My motivation for being car free is lack of interest in driving a car. I was able to get my license at 14, I think. I didn't bother getting it until my mother dragged me to the DMV when I was about 18 or 19 lol. I have always been able to get around the city's i'v lived in without a car. Eventually I did get one and I got in trouble with it a couple times. In fact the only times I have been in trouble is in a car or truck. The way I look at is i'm clearly not interested or responsible enough to own a car, so why bother? I get around just fine on my bike, public transit or even a cab. I save hundreds of dollars a month and get great exercise from being car free!
Old 03-22-15, 09:03 PM
ussprinceton

Bikes: '18 S-Works Tarmac (white letters), '18 S-Works Tarmac (black letters), '22 Allez Elite, '16 Emonda SL, '03 fuel100, '14 adventure3

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 66 Posts
staying in shape
Old 04-08-15, 09:48 AM
jiggity

Bikes: Surly LHT, Novara Flyby, Seven Odonata, Trek beach cruiser

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think it started out as health reasons. I am not a go to the gym type, but if I can get 8 miles in every day and a few more here and there, that would meet where I want to be health wise. Going vegetarian is a whole other thread that I've contributed to, that also correlates to health.

The other reason is one day I just woke up and couldn't deal with people's BS anymore. Nor did I want to. So, I left a decent paying job and went to work in minimum pay/minimum stress academia back office. Made a pittance, but downsized my expenses and stress of driving in traffic and enjoyed public transport and cycling. Eventually moved out of the suburb and into town about two miles north of my office on campus. I take the bike trail and can ride home for lunch everyday. And I avoid the $800 annual parking fee so I am $800 richer.

Outside of getting to a Bestbuy or a Microcenter, I live within a 10min walk/2 minute ride of everything I need. With the cashflow that I have now, there has been discussion of getting a toy(convertible) but I am really enjoying not being part of the mainstream and like the challenge of being carfree.

When the weather is inclement or dangerous, or the cycle route is too far or dangerous, I will employ the Car2Go car sharing service. So I guess I am carfree heavy?
Old 04-08-15, 11:35 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Originally Posted by jiggity
I think it started out as health reasons. I am not a go to the gym type, but if I can get 8 miles in every day and a few more here and there, that would meet where I want to be health wise. Going vegetarian is a whole other thread that I've contributed to, that also correlates to health.

The other reason is one day I just woke up and couldn't deal with people's BS anymore. Nor did I want to. So, I left a decent paying job and went to work in minimum pay/minimum stress academia back office. Made a pittance, but downsized my expenses and stress of driving in traffic and enjoyed public transport and cycling. Eventually moved out of the suburb and into town about two miles north of my office on campus. I take the bike trail and can ride home for lunch everyday. And I avoid the $800 annual parking fee so I am $800 richer.

Outside of getting to a Bestbuy or a Microcenter, I live within a 10min walk/2 minute ride of everything I need. With the cashflow that I have now, there has been discussion of getting a toy(convertible) but I am really enjoying not being part of the mainstream and like the challenge of being carfree.

When the weather is inclement or dangerous, or the cycle route is too far or dangerous, I will employ the Car2Go car sharing service. So I guess I am carfree heavy?
The only category I would put you in is a guy who really knows how to get what he wants out of life!

Originally Posted by mcfastie
My motivation for being car free is lack of interest in driving a car. I was able to get my license at 14, I think. I didn't bother getting it until my mother dragged me to the DMV when I was about 18 or 19 lol. I have always been able to get around the city's i'v lived in without a car. Eventually I did get one and I got in trouble with it a couple times. In fact the only times I have been in trouble is in a car or truck. The way I look at is i'm clearly not interested or responsible enough to own a car, so why bother? I get around just fine on my bike, public transit or even a cab. I save hundreds of dollars a month and get great exercise from being car free!
And you've got it figured out also!

"Think Outside the Cage"

Last edited by Roody; 04-08-15 at 11:42 AM.
Old 11-17-15, 07:19 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Tasmania's Move More Sit Less program in combination with the Walk to Work day on Nov 13, did encourage me to get off the bus a stop earlier and walk a bit more. I'm hoping to do that on Friday again ... maybe even tomorrow if the bus has a fairly quick run into town.

Get Moving Tasmania - Move more, sit less
Home Page: Walk to Work Day
Old 11-17-15, 07:20 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

We've been talking in another thread about: "Why would you get a car and give up LCF?" ... so let's revisit why we would become car free or car light.
Old 11-17-15, 07:59 PM
Bandera
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 119 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
We've been talking in another thread about: "Why would you get a car and give up LCF?" ... so let's revisit why we would become car free or car light.
Like most competitive cyclists I've know for the last 40 years or so using a bicycle for errands, shopping and general plootering about was taken for granted, it was what one did as a matter of course. Other modes were selected for hauling hay bales, covering a few thousand miles rapidly or traveling to other continents.

None of that has changed for me lately, or is likely to since I do all with some regularity.
I'll be cycling to the farmer's market on Saturday, with some FG miles in-between, and flying back to the Orient as required.

-Bandera

Last edited by Bandera; 11-17-15 at 08:10 PM.
Old 11-21-15, 09:24 PM
Mako Jak

Bikes: 1996 Giant Iguana

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A very rough end to a long marriage, financially railroaded, facing homelessness in as little as another month potentially, losing vehicle within a week or two. No choice but to go car free right now. The choice is whether or not to stay this way once I get back on my feet... and everyday I learn more about this lifestyle, I love it more and more. Car Free seems the way for me.. to be I can already see all kinds of ways this is going to better my life. It will be challenging but I am going to find the good, latch on and focus this into a great life change!!
Old 11-22-15, 08:21 PM
baldilocks

Bikes: Giant ATX Lite & Schwinn Mesa

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
My desire to be car light come's from:
1 My love of the bicycle. The joy in the journey.
2 My desire to save money.
3 My desire to loose weight.
4 My dislike of autos. To many over complicated electronics to break.
Old 11-22-15, 09:49 PM
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by mister
I had a similar situation. I started bicycle commuting to a new job and I was getting flack from family members. My wife at the time was urging me to get a car although I had already bicycle commuted to 3 other jobs while we had been married. So I had her do the math and she realized that my bicycle commuting was the thing keeping our budget in the black and out of the red.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 11-22-15, 09:52 PM
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Mako Jak
A very rough end to a long marriage, financially railroaded, facing homelessness in as little as another month potentially, losing vehicle within a week or two. No choice but to go car free right now. The choice is whether or not to stay this way once I get back on my feet... and everyday I learn more about this lifestyle, I love it more and more. Car Free seems the way for me.. to be I can already see all kinds of ways this is going to better my life. It will be challenging but I am going to find the good, latch on and focus this into a great life change!!
Keep us up to date Mako Jak. Sounds like you are at a low point looking up. As you get reestablished, I bet you will want to retain something that has worked well for you in dark times.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 11-23-15, 01:41 PM
tramptrade 
Some Canuck on a Bike

Bikes: Cannondale, Brodie

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally we went car free because we were throwing money away every month on a vehicle we were not using much.

My wife and I work from home and are semi-retired so we had a $700.00 per month (auto lease and insurance) commitment sitting in the driveway mostly unused. We decided to get rid of the car and save the money. As my wife put it, "that's an expensive driveway ornament".

The side benefits were increased exercise / health, and a more frugal shopping style - less wasted food and money. Part of me also wanted to embrace a more "Earth-Friendly" approach to life.

We did eventually end up getting another vehicle (used and cash-paid) as a safety net for emergencies as mentioned in the other thread.

We remain committed to using it as little as possible.
Old 11-23-15, 02:04 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Some of the last few posts are from people (Machka, Bandera, tramptrade,baldilocks, mister, MikeRides, and others) who own cars but use them frugally and responsibly. Represent!

I find this to be very very inspirational. If more motorists were as conscientious as them, I wouldn't be the least bit "anti-car", although I would continue to push the "pro-bike" agenda to make it easier for everybody to use bikes or feet to get around more.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 11-23-15, 03:45 PM
Robert C

Bikes: This list got too long: several ‘bents, an urban utility e-bike, and a dahon D7 that my daughter has absconded with.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 48 Posts
Me? I'm just too cheap to buy a car. I am also too lazy to put up with all the hassles of car ownership.
Old 11-23-15, 03:56 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Originally Posted by Robert C
Me? I'm just too cheap to buy a car. I am also too lazy to put up with all the hassles of car ownership.
Yes, it really appeals to my inner cheapskate and lazybones! After a while, carfreedom becomes such an established way of life that I can't even think about owning a car without getting the willies.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 11-23-15, 04:27 PM
Sangetsu

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 570 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 21 Posts
Hmm, here in my nighborhood a parking spot costs about $600 a month, highway tolls are stupidly expensive, it will cost me $70 in tolls to use the Aqualine for a round-trip to the countryside (about 60 miles away). Annual road tax is based on engine size, for my 6 liter V8 car that adds up to $80 per month, and then bi-annual inpsections are required, and are not cheap. And lastly is the cost of gasoline, which runs nearly $7 a gallon here.

This might sound good to those who dislike cars, but the costs apply to trucks as well, and pushes up the cost of all goods which require transportation (which is everything). Next, though Japan is a small country, public transportation does not go everywhere, and since driving to other parts of the country is a luxury few city-dwellers can afford (most Japanese live in the metro areas), the rural areas get few visitors, and are in steep economic decline. There are 8 million vacant homes in Japan now, and most of these are in the countryside.

This flight to the cities pushes up the cost of housing, and most people can afford only small apartments. Many of these are too small for families, so people forego having choldren. The lack of people in the countryside has resulted in a decline in farmers, the average farmer in Japan is over 60. And since there are no young people taking up farming, more than one-third of Japanese farmland is now undeveloped.

Being able to get around in a car cheaply is not necessarily a bad thing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.