Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Comparing ride data - any high-mileage riders to compare?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Comparing ride data - any high-mileage riders to compare?

Old 01-02-20, 09:50 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by KC8QVO
What I asked was:

The question was to the group to illustrate how they are able to achieve those numbers.

As far as my riding goes, I was wanting a comparison to see the above, and the other way around - a comparison for those that are hitting high miles the other end of the spectrum (not sure that really matters or is of interest, but the comparison is at least a 2-way street here).

As to my goal for next year - I set that back at 1500. I think that is a reasonable number that fits how I ride. There is no need for competition, other than some riding motivation. What I would like to try to do differently this year is to not loose my riding shape. I am in Ohio and the 2 worst winter weather months are historically January and February = now on. If I can make it through those months with a few 15-30 mile rides that would be great. Even better would be some weekend "day tours" in the 40-60 range. We'll see how it works out.

I did make some gear changes (namely warm boots with SPD cleats) that allow cold weather riding comfort. Down in to the 30's I'm a lot more comfortable. So that right there is a huge bonus for stretching the riding season. I don't know how much colder I could ride, though. If temperatures were in the mid-40's or above I would consider a day tour (lows in the mid-40's, highs 50-60). If highs are in the mid-40's (lows hopefully around or above freezing) then that would hold my miles back to a smaller 15-30mi ride.

Sorry if I misunderstood the point of this thread, but part of the process of getting my miles higher has been getting faster. It's kind of a circular thing, the more you ride the faster you get, and the faster you get the more you can ride in a given time.

Like I said, I keep track of miles because it motivates me a bit to push the speed, but it's all about having a fitness program I find fun.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 01-02-20, 09:55 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

I have been registered with Strava for years, however I never had a way to upload data to it. I got my Edge 1000 about 3-4 years ago but never had it "set up" with WiFI etc. I started messing around with that this Fall and got the auto-sync to Strava worked out. I actually like having that ability. Before I shut down my Edge 1000 after a ride Garmin Connect and Strava have the ride data.

The other thing of note here is I have my Strava locked down. All I use it for is personal logging. I also like, for the most part, that the data assists the Heat Map creation. I don't care for the "community" aspect and comparison to other riders - which is why I have it locked out. So for data collection for my use and the creation of the heat map it's pretty cool.

I use Komoot because it gives me real time speed while recording my ride. I just find that most of the data I get from Strava isn't what I'm interested in. Komoot is more bare bones, but it gives me exactly what I'm looking for.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 01-02-20, 10:05 PM
KC8QVO

Bikes: Surly Disk Trucker, 2014 w/Brooks Flyer Special saddle, Tubus racks - Duo front/Logo Evo rear, 2019 Dahon Mariner D8, Both bikes share Ortlieb Packer Plus series panniers, Garmin Edge 1000

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
If you record on Strava you get both "moving time" and "elapsed time." If you have somehow turned off auto-pause, I suppose that might be different. Normally "moving time" is used to figure average speed. Doesn't mean you have to do it that way. This 59 mile ride was about 30 minutes difference, moving vs elapsed.
Well son of aboich...

The strava data does show "moving time" vs. "elapsed time". I never knew that. Then again, admittedly I have never pulled the data from Strava - only the computer.

What did catch my attention is seeing the speed average drop when I was stopped. That's how I figured out the speed average was based on the total time on the unit.

However, that having been said - according to the ride on Strava - the average speed was 11.2mph and on the computer was 9.64mph. I find that interesting. It does go to support the point I made a few posts up about the last ride I did averaging close to 10mph over a 22mi ride with stops. The point I made was in this example (the same ride with the metrics here) that my ride average wasn't as low as the 7mph annual "average speed" - including the stops. The data here should show that quite clearly.

It is interesting that Strava separates the moving vs. stopped metrics, whereas the computer does not have an option to display it yet the recording source for both is the same. Maybe I am missing something?

For the record, in the trip profile I use I do have the "auto pause" disabled. I don't recall setting that, but that is what it is - off. Because the all up averages are most important to me that is what I will leave it set to.

It is, also, interesting to note that there are slight differences in the numbers between Strava and the computer. The trip time for example - 2 hours, 16 minutes, 7 seconds on the computer vs. Strava showing 2 hours, 16 minutes, 10 seconds for the "elapsed time". The speed average, though, is based off of moving time on Strava and all up time on the computer, so those are different calculations entirely - not just the same result displayed 2 different ways.

Old 01-02-20, 10:08 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

I guess the way I consider "ride time" is the time I jump on the bike at the start all the way to the time I get off the bike at the end, over the course of 1 day.

In that example "ride time" is accounting for every second between those two points in time - whether I am in the saddle pedaling or not.

Is there a more usual or customary definition of "ride time" that goes in to everyone's numbers?

I guess that goes back to my first post in the thread and my explanation of the "average" I came up with being, perhaps, "bogus". The reason I call it "bogus" is there are variables in the creation of the time metric in the "average" that invalidate the accuracy of it. All of the "time" (according to how I defined it here - from the time I start a ride to the time I end a ride, no pausing) was not accounted for in my 7mph or so average. I don't think the time not in there, over the course of the calendar year, would shift the average that much, but it would drop. The time commitment, or maybe I should restate that to "time consumption", to "riding" means every slow down on a ride is accounted for. If you have 15 minutes down on a loaded trip to repair a flat that is 15 minutes you don't get back. That is where I wanted to see others' numbers that hit high miles. I still question the time in those high mile reports - what variables are they, and are they not, taking in to account for? If auto-pause is being used - what percentage higher time are those riders actually seeing? (those questions don't need answers, that is just what is in my mind as I compare all the numbers in the thread)

Yep. Quantifying it and comparing it is interesting.

Since we're compiling numbers for our own purposes, there's really no right or wrong way to look at it. To give an example, my sons live about 38 miles from me, so I often ride to where they live, hang out and have lunch with them and then ride home. I definitely pause the timer while I'm hanging out.
Old 01-03-20, 09:27 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
It is interesting that Strava separates the moving vs. stopped metrics, whereas the computer does not have an option to display it yet the recording source for both is the same. Maybe I am missing something?
Strava uses it's own algorithms for everything. My moving time on Strava is virtually never the same as the moving time recorded on the device, unless I never come to a stop.
Stop for 15, 20, or 30 seconds, Strava will just tack it back on to the moving time.Yesterday I did my 100km to start the month, and stopped at the bike shop to hang out and eat
lunch about 2/3 of the way through the ride. I was stopped for about an hour, and Strava took 3 and a half minutes of that time and slapped it right back on my moving time.
If you begin to pay attention at all to moving vs. elapsed time, Strava will get creative on you about 95% of the time. That said, I don't want the timer to keep running while I'm
stopped for lunch. I'm not in the middle of PBP. I can stop whenever I want.
Old 01-03-20, 11:30 AM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
When the question is simple, the answer is simple: don't stop riding. Twenty miles a day, every single day will put a rider over 7k miles for the year. I don't ride every day, so I make up by having a per-ride average of around 35 miles.
This. I averaged 4-5 rides a week, average ride distance around 42 miles. I don't do a lot of short rides, if I'm gonna get suited up, I'm usually on the bike for at least two hours, with minimal stops.
Old 01-03-20, 11:46 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2577 Post(s)
Liked 1,900 Times in 1,192 Posts
Originally Posted by Notso_fastLane
As noted, I lived in Tucson, where biking 12 months/year is much more feasible than just about anywhere else in the US.
I might have said 8-9 months a year. Saying it's cooler than Phoenix mid-May through mid-September isn't saying much.

I am in Ohio and the 2 worst winter weather months are historically January and February = now on. If I can make it through those months with a few 15-30 mile rides that would be great. Even better would be some weekend "day tours" in the 40-60 range. We'll see how it works out.
Of course, you could always move to Tucson!
Old 01-03-20, 01:55 PM
Notso_fastLane

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 418 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
I might have said 8-9 months a year. Saying it's cooler than Phoenix mid-May through mid-September isn't saying much.
Yeah, but I'm one of those crazy people that actually enjoys Tucson summers. I wait until 1-ish in the afternoon in the summer months to go riding. That way, I get the trail all to myself!

And all but the first Tucson-Phx ride I did were in August.
Old 01-04-20, 01:17 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 329 Posts
I am looking over my ride data from 2019 and am setting a mileage goal for 2020. I know there are people that ride in the 7,000+ mile range in a year out there and I am curious how that is possible.

My average speed came out to 7.012mph for the year. This speed is factored off the trip time on my computer vs total miles. The trip time is somewhat of a bogus number because that largely includes stopped time, yet on some rides I did pause it (for example - fixing a flat I paused the trip timer through that period). So the 7.012mph is not a moving average, it is a time vs distance average across the year.

Using that speed average and saying that an average day's ride is in the 8 hour ballpark, for hitting 7,000 miles for the year that would require a bit over 123 days riding - with a mileage average around 56-57 miles per ride.

How is that humanly possible?

Therein lies my question. Those of you that are riding way up there in miles - what do your numbers show? How are you able to dedicate the time to your riding to achieve those numbers?
My biggest year was 14588.4 km (9064.8 mi) but I've done several in the 9-11,000 km ranges.

7.012 mph is 11.3 km/h ... do you take really long breaks?

The minimum total speed (not moving speed) for randonneuring/audax events is 15 km/h (9.3 mph) so first I'd suggest trying to pick up your speed.

Now, using 15 km/h (9.3 mph), to reach 7000 miles, you'd need 753 hours. Riding 3 hours a day, that's 251 days. You've still got another 105 days just in case.
Old 01-04-20, 04:47 AM
gif4445

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Specialized Diverge, Volagi Liscio, LHT, Trek 1.2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 32 Posts
I had over 11,000 miles this year. Only because for the first time ever, I kept track of inside miles. And I did a U.S. coast to coast race. And long distance is the only bike thing I'm faintly good at. It will be interesting to see where the mileage falls this year, as I don't have the race or that goal to work toward.
Likes For gif4445:
Old 01-04-20, 06:06 AM
horatio 
Hump, what hump?

Bikes: See signature

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 145 Posts
Thanks, OP. Interesting reading.
2010 AB T1X ** 2010 Cannondale SIX-5 ** 1993 Cannondale RS900 ** 1988 Bottecchia Team Record ** 1989 Bianchi Brava ** 1988 Nishiki Olympic ** 1987 Centurion Ironman Expert(2) ** 1985 DeRosa Professional SLX ** 1982 Colnago Super ** 1982 Basso Gap ** 198? Ciocc Competition SL ** 19?? Roberts Audax ** 198? Brian Rourke ** 1982 Mercian Olympic ** 1970 Raleigh Professional MK I ** 1952 Raleigh Sports

Old 01-04-20, 07:57 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by gif4445
I had over 11,000 miles this year. Only because for the first time ever, I kept track of inside miles. And I did a U.S. coast to coast race. And long distance is the only bike thing I'm faintly good at. It will be interesting to see where the mileage falls this year, as I don't have the race or that goal to work toward.

You did a what race?! Holy crap! How long did that take?
Old 01-04-20, 05:36 PM
gif4445

Originally Posted by livedarklions
You did a what race?! Holy crap! How long did that take?
I finished in 28 days, 5 hours and change. It was a (mostly) fun adventure!
Likes For gif4445:
Old 01-04-20, 07:11 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

I finished in 28 days, 5 hours and change. It was a (mostly) fun adventure!

Pics or it didn't happen.

Kidding, I just want to see pics.
Old 01-04-20, 08:09 PM
gif4445

Old 01-04-20, 08:22 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3906 Post(s)
Liked 7,181 Times in 2,905 Posts
Looks like the Yorktown Monument, so must have been the Trans Am Race? Very nice.
Old 01-04-20, 09:01 PM
dieselgoat

Bikes: Too damn many to list, seriously.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 14 Posts
I've been on Strava for five years and have done no less than 10K miles a year. My high was a little over 13K in 2017. Never again. I am a teacher/coach on the middle school level so I have plenty of time off. But 13K is a lot of miles no matter what. Some of it seemed like work as I rode all but about 25 days that year. I live in Georgia so I can ride all year.

I've got 12 bikes that I split the mileage on, so my rides average wildly from 13 mph to 20+. I did 10,600 in '19 with 266 active days and 487,000 ft of climbing. I am creative in getting my mileage. I will ride a lot of places to meet my wife. Sometimes, I will ride back also. A couple of weeks ago I rode to Auburn, AL. (about 60 miles) to meet her after she did some Christmas shopping. It was about to rain, so I rode back with her.

I'm 57 with no kids so I can ride whenever I want to. That's probably the biggest reason I get so many miles.
Likes For dieselgoat:
Old 01-04-20, 09:12 PM
gif4445

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Looks like the Yorktown Monument, so must have been the Trans Am Race? Very nice.
Yes it was.
Old 01-05-20, 10:43 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 997 Posts
Well son of aboich...

The strava data does show "moving time" vs. "elapsed time". I never knew that. Then again, admittedly I have never pulled the data from Strava - only the computer.

What did catch my attention is seeing the speed average drop when I was stopped. That's how I figured out the speed average was based on the total time on the unit.
Even better is to install the "Elevate" app plugin for Strava (formerly known as Stravistix): You'd get a screen in the stats that eg. looks like the below -- you'll have Average Speed, plus your "Full Time Avg Speed"

Old 01-06-20, 07:48 AM
John_V 

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
..... How is that humanly possible? .....
If you're wondering how 7,000+ miles a year is humanly possible, try wrapping your mind around 86,573 miles (237 miles/day, average) in 365 days. It was done by Amanda Coker on May 15, 2017 and is currently the Guinness World Record for most cycling miles ridden in a single year. She went on to break the Guinness World Record for the fastest person to reach 100,000 miles, which she did in 423 days; 77 days sooner than the 500 day record (Tommy Godwin, 1939) which stood for 77 years.That's her standing next to me in my avatar. She's the tall one.It was taken the day she broke the 29,603 mile, woman's world record (Billie Fleming, 1939) which she did in 130 days.

My stats aren't quite as impressive. Normally, I do above 10,000 miles (I'm retired) but 2019 wasn't a good year for my cycling stats with 8,005 miles logged. Lots of rained out and other bad weather days, more doctor's visits than usual and getting older (73) had a lot to do with the decline in mileage. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this year will see a rise in mileage.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress

Last edited by John_V; 01-06-20 at 07:57 AM.
Likes For John_V:
Old 01-06-20, 12:16 PM
jskash

Bikes: 2021 Specialized Sirrus 6 and 2018 Giant Escape Disc

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 26 Posts
I was able to ride over 7,000 miles in 2016 and 2017. I rode every day of the year in 2017 and ended up with 7,445 miles. I did not get sick that entire year, which is difficult for a school teacher. The last two years I have over 6,000 miles. Spinal stenosis and illnesses kept me off my bike around 30 days each of the last two years.
Likes For jskash:
Old 01-06-20, 12:41 PM
Goldrush

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
My wife and I are both retired and live in Florida, so we ride year round. I'm turning 70 this year and she will be 67. We ride 40 to 50 miles a day, 4 days a week, but on the other 3 days still do neighborhood rides of 6 to 12 miles. After flirting with 10,000 miles for several years, we set to a goal pass 10,000 in 2019. We ended up with 11,178. I think we used the goal as a motivation to get out the door. Not sure what we will do this year. My wife is the real animal. In addition to riding she does several difficult classes at the gym every week, sometimes going twice a day. She also does quite a bit of line dancing. She never seems to get tired and I'm betting could easily ride several thousand more miles than her hubby.
Likes For Goldrush:
Old 01-06-20, 02:40 PM
atoler64

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
what i consider high mileage year.

So i use my bikes for primary transportation all the time. I commute every day. If i choose to hop the bus for part of it i still get about 12 miles of riding. if i skip the bus i range between 16-24 miles a day. Also been adding 40-65 mile days every week or two. Last June was a month i wanted to see what i did. I did 543 miles that month not counting short around town rides. My average speeds have been about 10.2 mph for rides longer than 2 hours. I have not kept a perfect log but for 2019 my best estimate is between 2200 and 2400 mile for the year.
Old 01-06-20, 03:46 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by John_V
If you're wondering how 7,000+ miles a year is humanly possible, try wrapping your mind around 86,573 miles (237 miles/day, average) in 365 days. It was done by Amanda Coker on May 15, 2017 and is currently the Guinness World Record for most cycling miles ridden in a single year. She went on to break the Guinness World Record for the fastest person to reach 100,000 miles, which she did in 423 days; 77 days sooner than the 500 day record (Tommy Godwin, 1939) which stood for 77 years.That's her standing next to me in my avatar. She's the tall one.It was taken the day she broke the 29,603 mile, woman's world record (Billie Fleming, 1939) which she did in 130 days.

My stats aren't quite as impressive. Normally, I do above 10,000 miles (I'm retired) but 2019 wasn't a good year for my cycling stats with 8,005 miles logged. Lots of rained out and other bad weather days, more doctor's visits than usual and getting older (73) had a lot to do with the decline in mileage. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this year will see a rise in mileage.

Great post, but one question. Why 29,603 miles?
Old 01-06-20, 03:58 PM
Steeler_fanatic

Bikes: 2022 Trek Émonda SLR 6 eTap, 2018 Trek Domane ALR 5, 1974 Batavis Tour de l’Europe

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 13 Posts
I did 8,416 miles last year with 472 hours of moving time. I am semi-retired so have the luxury of riding during the day. I had a split of 60% outdoor (mostly solo) and 40% indoor (mostly Zwift). I try to ride outdoors whenever the weather permits (for me about 50°F and above). This was my first full time year of riding in 40+ years

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.