Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Got smoked..felt shame.

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Got smoked..felt shame.

Old 06-11-20, 07:28 AM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 206 Posts
I recommend EPO. Then if possible, hunt Johnny Wad down and inflict some pain.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 06-11-20, 07:53 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 957 Post(s)
Liked 562 Times in 423 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob Ross
You're new around here, aren't you? https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycl...-yell-you.html
Well, doesn't look like OP was doing a group ride...
Old 06-11-20, 08:11 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
Originally Posted by alcjphil
One thing I have learned in almost 50 years as a cyclist: No matter how good my fitness, there is always someone who is stronger than me
This happens in all facets of life. At least for me.

Back when I was a charter and corporate pilot, no matter how big or fast the airplane was I flew into a little podunk airstrip, someone else in a bigger faster airplane would soon pull up on the ramp next to me. Similar things too after getting on with the airlines.
Old 06-11-20, 09:33 AM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 276 Times in 144 Posts
Drope that hammer!
Likes For tagaproject6:
Old 06-11-20, 09:43 AM
Random11

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Diverge, 2021 Cervelo Caledonia

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 378 Times in 197 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Back when I was a charter and corporate pilot, no matter how big or fast the airplane was I flew into a little podunk airstrip, someone else in a bigger faster airplane would soon pull up on the ramp next to me. Similar things too after getting on with the airlines.
I feel your pain. (I fly a Cessna 172.)
Old 06-11-20, 10:52 AM
taco2ewsday

Bikes: 2021 Canyon Endurace SL8, 2019 Cannondale Topstone Sora, 2002 Giant Yukon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 148 Times in 57 Posts
I got passed by an older white haired dude on a geared beach cruiser looking thing, I have no ego
Old 06-11-20, 11:17 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 957 Post(s)
Liked 562 Times in 423 Posts
Originally Posted by taco2ewsday
I got passed by an older white haired dude on a geared beach cruiser looking thing, I have no ego
The only ego I have when I ride is to finish my ride. If I set a 100km goal, I know I won't be able to see the finish line if I start racing with random people at the beginning of my ride or even half-way through.
Likes For eduskator:
Old 06-11-20, 11:47 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
The guy was actually being nice. He was
doing intervals, and his comment essentially was saying, don’t worry, I can’t keep this pace up for the whole climb either.

Broader point, there will always be people faster and slower than you, but his comment was a friendly gesture.
Exactly. I've had people jump on my wheel while I'm out doing intervals and I didn't realize it. When I sat up at the end of the interval, the wheel sucker nearly took us both out because I guess he thought I was going to pull him indefinitely. I've also had people who didn't know I was doing intervals and were trying to be helpful and do their share of pulling. It makes it hard to maintain your target wattage when you're now stuck behind someone. And then finally, I had this situation where I kept catching up to a young woman rider and I wanted to let her know that I wasn't creeping on her
Likes For caloso:
Old 06-11-20, 08:36 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 2,019 Times in 1,055 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
That's what's cool about endurance sports, we can feel the hurt just as bad as the pros do (even though we're slow). You can't really go out and dunk like Jordan or smash a serve like Serena. But you can grind your guts out up a climb.

When I see a slower rider hurting up a hill, they could often be hurting worse than I do at any point on my ride. Freaking kudos to that person!
On a 1200k like PBP the fast guys on the front suffer by choice, finishing with no sleep in 43ish hours. The real, brutal, life changing suffering happens at the back. People just barely making the time cutoffs, fighting sleep deprivations, physical, and mechanical issues for 90 or more hours. The most gut wrenching stories are the out of time finishers.

Faster just means faster.
Likes For downtube42:
Old 06-11-20, 09:14 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1124 Post(s)
Liked 1,171 Times in 682 Posts
Originally Posted by PoorInRichfield
I'll admit that when I'm riding solo and I see another rider ahead of me, the "race is on" even if the other rider has no idea that it is I like chasing down other riders just to give me incentive to ride a little harder than I normally do.
i got a chance to do that in zwift one night after a workout. I saw this guy, seemed like a hundred miles ahead, took that long t catch up. Wound up getting a kom on that ride. (Must have been a slow night)
Old 06-11-20, 10:06 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
I got passed by a kid on a skateboard today.

Going 15mph up 1%. He seemed to be holding a clicker -type thing in his hand.
Old 06-11-20, 11:20 PM
justonwo

Bikes: 2020 Pinarello Dogma F12 Disc (Enve SES 3.4), 2020 S-Works Roubaix (Zipp 303 NSW), 2020 Canyon Ultimate Evo 10.0 (DT Swiss DICUT 1100), 2006 Cervelo Soloist (10 speed Ultegra), 2018 S-Works Camber, 2019 S-Works Epic

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 32 Posts
It's not junior high. You don't have to care about what other people do or think. Ride for yourself.
Likes For justonwo:
Old 06-12-20, 08:00 AM
Ilbiker

Bikes: 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 Sport 2021 Trek Domane SL6

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
The older we get, the slower overall we get. Fact of life. And there’s going to be someone faster, stronger, more endurance etc than you out there somewhere. Won’t be seeing any AARP members winning the TdF, Boston, Kona anytime soon. Age group competitive yes, overall winner, ain’t gonna happen.

But, that doesn’t mean you still can’t be competitive for your age. I run/ride my own race.
Old 06-13-20, 03:07 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Originally Posted by Ilbiker
The older we get, the slower overall we get. Fact of life. And there’s going to be someone faster, stronger, more endurance etc than you out there somewhere. Won’t be seeing any AARP members winning the TdF, Boston, Kona anytime soon. Age group competitive yes, overall winner, ain’t gonna happen.

But, that doesn’t mean you still can’t be competitive for your age. I run/ride my own race.
The older we get, the less raw athletic potential we have. Most of us recreational athletes have so much headroom to our potential, we can stave off significant performance loss for a long time. Eventually, sure, that ceiling comes down hard.
Likes For downtube42:
Old 06-14-20, 12:14 PM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Bikes: R5, Allez Sprint, Shiv

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 295 Posts
Originally Posted by justonwo
It's not junior high. You don't have to care about what other people do or think. Ride for yourself.
There's a term for people like that - Freds.
Old 06-14-20, 06:18 PM
one4smoke

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 224 Posts
Originally Posted by PoorInRichfield
I'll admit that when I'm riding solo and I see another rider ahead of me, the "race is on" even if the other rider has no idea that it is I like chasing down other riders just to give me incentive to ride a little harder than I normally do.
Used to do that all the time, now it just depends on if it's one of the good days or not.
Likes For one4smoke:
Old 06-15-20, 11:38 AM
grumpyoldguy

Bikes: Scott, Kona

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
The great thing about being an old geezer (I'm almost 70) is that they don't get any satisfaction when they see who they've passed.
Old 06-15-20, 11:41 AM
ncracing72

Bikes: '86 Guerciotti, Colnago Extreme Power, Langster, BMC CX-01, Specialized Stumpjumper Comp HT, Santa Cruz Blur

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
the theory of relativity

Originally Posted by thehammerdog
as i was doing my thing climbing up a nice 1 mile steady incline near end of my ride Jonny the Wad cyclist zooms by and yells Doing Intervals......i instinctly jump on wheel to save face only to blow up 50 yards later.
Shame.🤥
i remember racing as a junior in France and getting to train with a few pro tour riders. These guys were domestiques for a team called RMO. I can't recall their names, but I can remember that they were so strong that they simply annihilated me without even trying to do. Pretty humbling considering I was at the top of my game at the time at the time, even competing at US nationals. Quickly learned then that (a) these guys had freaky genetics (b) I wasn't going to become a pro and (c) riding is for fun, at least for me. I always chuckle on group rides when people boast about their times and how they beat so and so. I get it, I used to complete. But it's all very relative...
Likes For ncracing72:
Old 06-15-20, 12:03 PM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by ncracing72
i remember racing as a junior in France and getting to train with a few pro tour riders. These guys were domestiques for a team called RMO. I can't recall their names, but I can remember that they were so strong that they simply annihilated me without even trying to do. Pretty humbling considering I was at the top of my game at the time at the time, even competing at US nationals. Quickly learned then that (a) these guys had freaky genetics (b) I wasn't going to become a pro and (c) riding is for fun, at least for me. I always chuckle on group rides when people boast about their times and how they beat so and so. I get it, I used to complete. But it's all very relative...
so very true. of most things.
🙂
Old 06-15-20, 12:13 PM
downtube42

Cycling buddy of mine was an Air Force vet. He would say "jets are fast, bikes are slow".

Then there's the story of the space shuttle captain who stepped in on some radio conversation about current velocity.

Relative for sure.
Old 06-15-20, 12:17 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Originally Posted by downtube42
Then there's the story of the space shuttle captain who stepped in on some radio conversation about current velocity.
Blackbird, not space shuttle.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 06-15-20, 02:14 PM
355Mono

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
I just yell "Showoff!" It does bug me a bit. I have to remember my age, fitness level, and keep pushing.
Old 06-15-20, 04:05 PM
johnd01

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by thehammerdog
as i was doing my thing climbing up a nice 1-mile steady incline near end of my ride Jonny the Wad cyclist zooms by and yells Doing Intervals......i instinctly jump on wheel to save face only to blow up 50 yards later.

Shame.🤥
I have two stories that kind of fit this. I was about 65 for both of these. I Ride the American River Bike trail almost exclusively.

Story 1. A young, 14-16 girl passes me. I jump on her wheel just before a short steep downgrade. She speeds up. I can tell she is working hard to stay ahead of the old man. Four miles later, I die climbing up a grade to the bridge where the bike trail crosses the American River. I stop in the centre of the bridge and pant as she keeps going. My time was faster than any woman time on that 4-mile segment.

Story 2. We do a moonlight ride that is 50 miles, but I ride 16 miles there and 16 miles back home. We have dinner for about an hour and a half in the middle.

The ride starts at mile 0. On my way home about mile 5, a big guy on a bike passes me in the dark. I jump on his wheel and manage to keep up with him until mile 12.5 where he turns off the trail. I am kind of glad it ended that way, I saved face and was dead again if he would not have turned I would have lost him.

Story 1 was going downstream, and story two was going upstream, but in both cases, I have not been able to establish a new personal best for either segment set more than 6 years ago. I have tried. There is something about motivation trying to keep up with a faster rider that makes a lot of difference. It is more than just drafting.
Old 06-15-20, 04:29 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Wow. Please don’t do that.
Likes For caloso:
Old 06-15-20, 04:46 PM
Viich
Hack

Bikes: TrueNorth CX bike, 88 Bianchi Strada (currently Sturmey'd), 90's Giant Innova (now with drop bars), Yess World Cup race BMX, Redline Proline Pro24 race BMX Cruiser

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 127 Posts
Rule 71. https://www.velominati.com/

Not that I'm normally into that stuff, most of it's mostly nonsense. But - don't worry about anyone you're not riding with. Achieve the goal you set out for the ride you're doing. Don't get distracted.

Last edited by Viich; 06-15-20 at 04:55 PM. Reason: hit enter too soon.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.