Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Do you like these styles?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-20, 03:10 PM
hybridbkrdr
we be rollin'

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 24 Posts

I don't have enough money to start a bike company but I'm wondering what people think of the following:

-aluminum frame & cro-mo fork with front & rear eyelets for racks & fenders
-Hollowtech II 46/30T crankset with chainguard
-integrated sealed bearing headset
-sealed bearing plastic pedals with reflectors
-V-brakes for hybrids, mini V-brakes for road bikes
-semi-slick tires like the Kenda Drumlin or Schwalbe Delta Cruiser
-mostly silver components to avoid black paint that rubs off and looks cheap
-Schrader tubes
EDIT: thru axles
ANOTHER EDIT: kickstand plates
YET ANOTHER EDIT: I'd go with replaceable chainrings

Last edited by hybridbkrdr; 08-19-20 at 07:17 PM.
Old 08-15-20, 05:24 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3654 Post(s)
Liked 5,392 Times in 2,737 Posts
This is bizarre but I'll play for awhile. The first three seem OK. No interest in plastic flat pedals, even with reflectors. Mini Vs suck in comparison to normal road calipers. I like silver components but it's getting hard to find them that aren't cheap. Could live with Schrader but what's the point? Now tell us why you ask.
Old 08-15-20, 05:29 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
Looks good. Go for it.
Old 08-15-20, 05:36 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6939 Post(s)
Liked 10,944 Times in 4,677 Posts
I'm not really sure why you are asking...?
Old 08-15-20, 06:07 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
Originally Posted by hybridbkrdr
I don't have enough money to start a bike company but I'm wondering what people think of the following:

-Schrader tubes
It sounds like a pretty boring generic and cheap hybrid of lower quality. The Hollowtech II and 46/30 gearing can be nice if quality but if just riveted chainrings no thanks.
Old 08-15-20, 06:08 PM
hillyman
WALSTIB

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 384 Times in 183 Posts
Ah, won't sell unless you market it with a bs name. I suggest a Stormrider Bike

Old 08-15-20, 08:56 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
Unfortunately I don’t think there is a chance that a small independent bicycle manufacturer can succeed with an aluminum frame steel fork bike.

That formula sits in the low to low-mid price range and offers no innovation nor does it create that steel is real mystic that companies like Soma have been able to occupy.

I don’t think it matters what components you use, it will be almost impossible to compete with Trek and Giant, not to mention the lower Schwinns.

John
Likes For 70sSanO:
Old 08-15-20, 09:37 PM
Nyah
QR-disc must die!!!

Bikes: '99 Trek 520, '20 Kona Sutra (FOR SALE 48cm), '21 Simon-Bikes mini-velo and a chromoly-framed folding bicycle with drop-bars and V-brakes, that rolls even while folded.

Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 147 Posts
- I like chromoly for both frame and fork. I don't like aluminum for either of these foundation parts.
- I like triple chainwheel cranks. I do not like compact doubles. Chainwheel guards need to be standard on all cranksets with more than one chainring so, good on you for that.
- I like both slick and semi-slick tires.
- I do prefer raw metal color rather than painted.
- I like thru-axles.
- I prefer Presta.

If "hybrid" is meant to have flat handlebars, then no, I prefer drop-bars.
Likes For Nyah:
Old 08-15-20, 10:38 PM
mattcalifornia

Bikes: 2002 Eddy Merckx Team SC Resto-Mod; 2019 Ibis Hakka MX; 2017 Spot Brand Ajax Belt Drive

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 192 Times in 121 Posts
I absolutely hate Schrader valves. The rest seems pretty random.
Likes For mattcalifornia:
Old 08-16-20, 05:14 AM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 1,001 Times in 488 Posts

-Schrader tubes
EDIT: thru axles
+1 on boring and standard with odd specifics.

Why? That's a serious question to the OP
Old 08-16-20, 07:14 AM
hybridbkrdr
we be rollin'

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by DorkDisk
+1 on boring and standard with odd specifics.

Why? That's a serious question to the OP
The choices out there I find pretty bleak. I mean my sister asked me what I'd suggest. So I looked online and saw bicycles like the Fuji Touring bike. Well, that does a chainguard and likely a more upright position which would make it more pleasant to ride. But it still has a steel frame instead of aluminum. The other choices out there, I wasn't sure what to say. I mean there's the Opus Classico Lightweight that has rim brakes but has a 1x drivetrain. There's the Trek Domane AL 3 but it has no chainguard, looks to have an aggressive position and no mention of Direct-Mount brakes (which I believe all modern road bikes should have). And there are no front rack mounts to speak of.

Look at the Giant Toughroad for example. I can celebrate the fact that Giant wants to make an interesting bike. But why not use 27.5x2.2" instead of 700x50? The tires they chose changes the geometry some people like. And no version with V-brakes? What if someone wants something easier to work with in the middle of the woods? Are people going to bleed hydraulic disc brakes on the side of the road? The front rack could also be attached to the upper front part of the fork to the middle of the fork like a Racktime Topit.

I mean I'm sure the bike designers are experts and these are large corporations but they don't seem to be able to get together and get things right.
Old 08-16-20, 07:50 AM
Ferrouscious 
Some Weirdo

Bikes: '86 Schwinn Prelude, '91 Scott Sawtooth, '73 Raleigh "Grand 3"

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 92 Posts
The choices out there I find pretty bleak. I mean my sister asked me what I'd suggest. So I looked online and saw bicycles like the Fuji Touring bike. Well, that does a chainguard and likely a more upright position which would make it more pleasant to ride. But it still has a steel frame instead of aluminum. The other choices out there, I wasn't sure what to say. I mean there's the Opus Classico Lightweight that has rim brakes but has a 1x drivetrain. There's the Trek Domane AL 3 but it has no chainguard, looks to have an aggressive position and no mention of Direct-Mount brakes (which I believe all modern road bikes should have). And there are no front rack mounts to speak of.

Look at the Giant Toughroad for example. I can celebrate the fact that Giant wants to make an interesting bike. But why not use 27.5x2.2" instead of 700x50? The tires they chose changes the geometry some people like. And no version with V-brakes? What if someone wants something easier to work with in the middle of the woods? Are people going to bleed hydraulic disc brakes on the side of the road? The front rack could also be attached to the upper front part of the fork to the middle of the fork like a Racktime Topit.

I mean I'm sure the bike designers are experts and these are large corporations but they don't seem to be able to get together and get things right.
1-What's wrong with a quality steel frame?
2-What's wrong with a 1x drivetrain?
3-Why would a road bike have a chainguard and rack mounts, especially in the front?
4-Why would Giant limit their customers' tire choices so massively by using 27.5 slicks?
5-Are you fixing your bike in the middle of the woods? Why?
6-You don't need thru-axles with rim brakes. The advantage is for disc brake alignment.

Sounds to me like you want a base model Specialized Sirrus or any of the other big brand basic hybrids. Install a kickstand and a chainguard.

Likes For Ferrouscious:
Old 08-16-20, 07:58 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Might be worth rethinking some of your criteria, seems random and half baked. Chain guard, Schrader valves? Most cyclists aren't interested in that. Learn more about bikes and you'll better understand why some features are popular. Edit- thru axles with rim brakes?

Last edited by shelbyfv; 08-16-20 at 01:38 PM. Reason: more nutz
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 08-16-20, 08:25 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

There's more to this, whatever this is about https://www.bikeforums.net/hybrid-bi...2-4-tires.html
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 08-16-20, 09:23 AM
Nyah
QR-disc must die!!!

Bikes: '99 Trek 520, '20 Kona Sutra (FOR SALE 48cm), '21 Simon-Bikes mini-velo and a chromoly-framed folding bicycle with drop-bars and V-brakes, that rolls even while folded.

Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 147 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Might be worth rethinking some of your criteria, seems random and half baked. Chain guard, Schrader valves? Most cyclists aren't interested in that. Learn more about bikes and you'll better understand why some features are popular.
Might be worth rethinking your criteria for a "cyclist", seems elitist. Not including an easily removable chainwheel guard saves you hardly any money but alienates many people who find putting on tights to be an unreasonable expectation for transporting oneself by bicycle. Finding chainwheel guards as aftermarket parts is nearly impossible. Learn more about peoples' interest in bicycling and you'll better understand why more people don't do it.

"Cyclists", the enemies of bicycle interest, acceptance and ubiquity.

Last edited by Nyah; 08-16-20 at 09:26 AM.
Old 08-16-20, 09:54 AM
Ferrouscious 
Some Weirdo

Bikes: '86 Schwinn Prelude, '91 Scott Sawtooth, '73 Raleigh "Grand 3"

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by Nyah
Finding chainwheel guards as aftermarket parts is nearly impossible. "Cyclists", the enemies of bicycle interest, acceptance and ubiquity.
SKS makes one. Multiple, actually. https://www.sks-germany.com/en/produ...s/chainguards/
Old 08-16-20, 10:28 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

The problem is this is a niche design. It can’t be completely found because there is not enough of a market for this style. It is still a valid design, but at what price would someone spend to get it.

Will someone spend $1000, $2000, or more for specific design and components that together are fairly unique today?

The major manufacturers can get 90% there for probably a fraction of the cost due to their purchasing power. They have networks of shops and some warranty assurance, although somewhat limited.

I think the biggest issue is if you line up 50 people to give his/her ultimate bike, you’ll get 50 different responses, even if it is a type of valve, or no tube at all.

John
Old 08-16-20, 10:52 AM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
Add a slack geometry and long chainstays and you have just described a gravel bike that can be used for commuting or touring, Especially with decent racks. Switch the front fork to carbon, add disc brakes and you have described the Diamondback Haanjo

46/30 compact crank implies Shimano's new GRX stuff. I really want to put one of those on my 2x11 Tamland, will give me the lower gearing I need for long rides with lots of gear. The GRX stuff isn't readily available just yet.

Every bike should use through axles, disc brakes or not.
Old 08-16-20, 11:23 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Originally Posted by Nyah
Might be worth rethinking your criteria for a "cyclist", seems elitist. Not including an easily removable chainwheel guard saves you hardly any money but alienates many people who find putting on tights to be an unreasonable expectation for transporting oneself by bicycle. Finding chainwheel guards as aftermarket parts is nearly impossible. Learn more about peoples' interest in bicycling and you'll better understand why more people don't do it.

"Cyclists", the enemies of bicycle interest, acceptance and ubiquity.
I don't think folks who play putt putt are considered "golfers."
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 08-16-20, 12:10 PM
70sSanO

While I wouldn't go quite this far, there is a distinction between someone who is dedicated and someone who is more casual in any activity.

It doesn't matter the activity, it is the dedication to getting as good as possible, even if that level is not elite, at "something". Putting in the hours helps to get the "ist", but without the skill it is a bit hollow. It is just the way it is.

I am not a cyclist, or surfer, or golfer, or musician, and I am happy about that. I enjoy what I am able to do and my dedication in a specif discipline waxes and wanes. I do okay.

But I will always tip my hat to the person who is a great climber, or can tackle the toughest technical sections, or can ride all day. It just doesn't happen.

John
Likes For 70sSanO:
Old 08-16-20, 01:40 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3897 Post(s)
Liked 4,828 Times in 2,228 Posts
Sounds like a cheapie, unless you are specific with components. Huffy with a thru axle?
Old 08-16-20, 05:06 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts

I don't think riding any kind of bicycle is the equivalent of playing putt putt.

Anyone who plays golf is a golfer, anyone who rides a bike is a cyclist. You want to qualify it, use your adjectives. There's plenty of urban commuters and utility bicyclists who might want a couple of those features you disdain. I know people who want Schrader stems so they don't have to carry a pump as long as they're close to a gas station, which they generally are when they ride.

That said, I still don't get this thread. Is op asking if any other poster wants that particular list, or are they asking if we've done some kind of market research to know if someone else will?
Old 08-16-20, 05:27 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Originally Posted by livedarklions
I don't think riding any kind of bicycle is the equivalent of playing putt putt.

Anyone who plays golf is a golfer, anyone who rides a bike is a cyclist. You want to qualify it, use your adjectives.
Fair enough, maybe we'll compromise. I'm not inclined to call a DUI bum rider or a kid on a Barbie bike a cyclist except in the broadest sense of the term. I'll still call that putt putt. I like your term "utility cyclist" and maybe I'll try "cycling enthusiast" for what has heretofore been known as "cyclist" on BF. And yes, again a bizarre couple of threads by OP. Is he trying to market a bike or just noodling?
Old 08-16-20, 06:05 PM
jack pot 
Fxxxxr

Bikes: wabi classic (stolen & recovered)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2670 Post(s)
Liked 1,149 Times in 871 Posts
I don't have enough money to start a bike company but I'm wondering what people think of the following ...
> what do you call it & what color is it ??
Old 08-16-20, 06:39 PM
70sSanO

Originally Posted by livedarklions
Anyone who plays golf is a golfer
Charles Barkley?

John

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.