Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

are there any new products for tire slashes

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 08-24-20, 05:33 AM
Toespeas

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 41 Posts

i dont know how you tubeless road guys do it , i tried but its just my luck i get a near inch slash on my barely month old tires ( shwalbe pro one evo addix tube version ), i dont mind these tires they haven't failed me at all i just hit something nasty doing like 10 mph , figures , not even tubes could fix this hole
right now i just put two layers of gorilla tape on the inside with some string in between , from para cord just to try and reinforce it , i really dont want to buy new tires , i thought about using an aluminum can strip under the gorilla tape , but i wonder if someone had developed a glue or putty that will just fill in that hole and bond with rubber , you think they would have made something like that by now ????

tire rant segment : i found some original pro one tubeless for 19.99 each , so i might just buy those because they will be the best tires for the money from now , i do have some standards in my tires they have to have some performance , i just miss the gp4000 i had those on every bike and never had a worry , now its only the evil gp5000 ruining the market and driving up the price of tires , really REALLY sucks stupid continental cant just make the gp4000 , i bet it would out sell the 5000 , now i im forced to use shwalbe , all i have used so far is conti or swalbe and they are not bad , the ultra sport 3 are a bit heavy and sluggish , but for 50 bucks best tire available right now i guess in my market ..........
Old 08-24-20, 07:37 AM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1084 Post(s)
Liked 854 Times in 483 Posts
I've always wondered about flex seal tape. We've all seen the commercial.

​​​​
Old 08-24-20, 08:04 AM
Juan el Boricua

Bikes: 1980's Royce Union "fixed wheel", 1995 Trek 370, 406 -wheeled " shopper/minivelo"for running errands, SS Raleigh M60

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 46 Posts
My experience for repairing tubed tires is this: using a leather stitching needle (probably a large eyed, sturdy needle would work also) and dental floss, ran a couple of stitches with an "x" pattern acroos gash; don't pull tight, just snug the thread. Add a thin layer of Shoe Goo or E6000 Industrial Adhesive over repair (inside of tire), and then a piece of duct/Gorilla tape. Used it until I found a suitable replacement (which was 18 months later; it was used on 30mile trips, once a week on avge.). YMMV. In no way I'm endorsing for you to do this; if you do it's at your own risk.
Old 08-24-20, 08:34 AM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
I've done needle with carpet thread and super glue, still working 3 years later.
Old 08-24-20, 09:47 AM
Eggman84

Bikes: 2014 Bruce Gordon Rock&Road, 1995 Santana Visa Tandem, 1990 Trek 520, 2012 Surly LHT

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 35 Posts
Many would say the "new product" for a tire slash is a new tire. Some times you are just unlucky and a tire gets damaged beyond repair prematurely. My favorite is car drivers ranting about the state of the roads and how a pothole destroyed one of their $200+ "high performance" tires. All I can think of is slow down and watch the road, but that is not how the world works.
Likes For Eggman84:
Old 08-25-20, 08:16 AM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
1/32" reinforced rubber gasket material that is used in pipe flanges. I super glue it in place and cover it with duct tape to prevent fretting flats. I put the repaired tires on the back even though I have not had one fail.
Old 08-27-20, 05:03 PM
sch

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 104 Posts
Suturing the sidewall might work for smaller cuts, under 0.5" but 1" cuts?? The carcass has a minimum of 27 threads/in and
probably with the Schwalb closer to 100. Putting 8-10 dental floss stitches is not going to do much for strength. A hefty internal
glued in boot will be needed. Proof of success would be lack of a bulge under pressure after the repair. Sewing up the treaded part seems
like an exercise in futility. I am currently riding a GP4000 with a 0.25" sidewall full thickness cut, booted with a small then large
tire patch on the inside. After ~1000 miles so far, no bulge.
Old 08-27-20, 06:19 PM
cpach

Bikes: Too many. Giant Trance X 29, Surly Midnight Special get the most time.

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 236 Posts
Dude, your face is worth the cost of fresh rubber. While you could probably repair that tire in the post apocalypse, the risk of tire failure is too high when you can buy another. It sucks yours had a short life, but seriously how often do you get massive slashes in your tires?
Old 08-27-20, 07:35 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4330 Post(s)
Liked 3,955 Times in 2,644 Posts
A tube is not designed to fix a hole in the tire. A slashed tire is not really that sensibly repairable unless I was in the middle of nowhere with no towns in sight and nobody else around and had the ability to fix it as described by some above.
Me personally I would just suck it up and buy a new tire. If I was worried about punctures and destruction of the tire I would go with something thick like a GatorHardshell.