Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

What's your expected mileage for a tubeless tyre?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-20, 10:24 PM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts

Barring any tyre destroying sidewall gashes, or holes that are too big for sealant for seal, how many KMs/miles do you expect to get out a tubless tyre before the tyre is done?

I'm not speaking of any tyre brand in particular here. Although if you want to share the brand that gave you the most life/longest mileage that's fine too. Cheers.
Old 09-03-20, 05:31 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
For the rear tire, I'm personally happy with 2,500 miles or more out of a sporting tire [by that I mean something appropriate for race day but with some concessions to practicality (some kind of puncture protection layer, tread that's not super thin) such as: my current Schwalbe Pro One Addix TLE, Conti GK5k TL, Vittoria Corsa TLR; Michelin Power Road TLR, Pirelli Zero Race TLR, etc.]

For the front, I'm looking at twice that or better (I usually buy tires in sets of three; mount the front and leave it there while going through two rear tires).

My rear Pro One Addix is just about to tick over 2,500 miles today and I'm at the point where the tread wear indicator has just disappeared. I'll keep riding it, though, 'til the casing starts becoming visible or until the sealed punctures become more apparent. I wouldn't be surprised if it makes it to 3k.

edited to add: I'm a bigger guy, as road cyclists go, and have been between 180lb and 195lb the last few years, depending upon the time of the year, etc. I would expect better mileage for those that are lighter.

Last edited by WhyFi; 09-03-20 at 05:48 AM.
Old 09-03-20, 06:27 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
Pretty much the same as with a tubed tire.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 09-03-20, 07:05 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
For the rear tire, I'm personally happy with 2,500 miles or more out of a sporting tire [by that I mean something appropriate for race day but with some concessions to practicality (some kind of puncture protection layer, tread that's not super thin) such as: my current Schwalbe Pro One Addix TLE, Conti GK5k TL, Vittoria Corsa TLR; Michelin Power Road TLR, Pirelli Zero Race TLR, etc.]

For the front, I'm looking at twice that or better (I usually buy tires in sets of three; mount the front and leave it there while going through two rear tires).

My rear Pro One Addix is just about to tick over 2,500 miles today and I'm at the point where the tread wear indicator has just disappeared. I'll keep riding it, though, 'til the casing starts becoming visible or until the sealed punctures become more apparent. I wouldn't be surprised if it makes it to 3k.

edited to add: I'm a bigger guy, as road cyclists go, and have been between 180lb and 195lb the last few years, depending upon the time of the year, etc. I would expect better mileage for those that are lighter.
+1

2500 miles is about right for a rear tire, and 2x that up front.
Old 09-03-20, 07:55 AM
noodle soup

Originally Posted by Kapusta
+1

Depending on how often you get tire punctures, tubeless might even save money. Once I add in the cost of tubes and CO2(10-12 punctures per year), tubed tires weren't any cheaper than tubeless tires + sealant.
Old 09-03-20, 07:59 AM
NoWhammies

Originally Posted by Kapusta
Which is what distance?

noodle soup WhyFi Thanks for the information. I just replaced my rear tyre that had 5,000km on it, so I guess that's pretty good.

Last edited by NoWhammies; 09-03-20 at 08:02 AM.
Old 09-03-20, 08:14 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by NoWhammies
Which is what distance?

This is a misguided question. Anywhere from 1000 to 5000 miles. Tires vary drastically in how fast they wear, and wear much faster on the back. Furthermore, “tubeless” in and of itself makes no difference.

Sorry to come off as rude, but this is like asking how many calories are in a bowl of cereal that comes in a red box.
Old 09-03-20, 08:26 AM
noodle soup

Originally Posted by NoWhammies
Which is what distance?

noodle soup WhyFi Thanks for the information. I just replaced my rear tyre that had 5,000km on it, so I guess that's pretty good.
What tire is that?

When I say I expect 2500 miles on a rear tire, that a minimum mileage. I expect more than that from the Pro1 Addix bassed on how long it took for the front tire to shed it' center seam.
Old 09-03-20, 12:02 PM
deacon mark

Bikes: Habanero Titanium Team Nuevo

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 121 Posts
I try not to ride on bad roads but on Conti GP II's I get 6000 miles with one tire rotation from front to rear around 2000 miles as long as the rear looks good. Sheldon never when for rotating so I am in violation but as long as rear looks good rotate once. Tube or tubeless it is all the same.
Old 09-03-20, 05:31 PM
gsa103

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito (Celeste, of course)

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 77 Posts
The same as a similarly constructed tubed tire. For an ultra-light race day tire, that might be less than 1,000mi, for a heavy duty commuter tire something above 10k mi. A Schwalbe Pro One Time Trial is going to wear much much faster than a Schwalbe Lugano Endurance or Marathon. But it's going to have similar life to it's tubed equivalent.
Old 09-03-20, 10:02 PM
NoWhammies

Originally Posted by noodle soup
What tire is that?

When I say I expect 2500 miles on a rear tire, that a minimum mileage. I expect more than that from the Pro1 Addix bassed on how long it took for the front tire to shed it' center seam.
I just replaced a Pirelli Cinturato Velo tubeless tyre with just over 5,000k on it. The tyre was on the rear of my bike and I decided to replace it after seeing half a dozen or so wet spots on the tyre.

The front tyre I had on my bike was a Schwalbe Pro One. That tyre had just under 3,500k on it. I replaced the tyre because I wanted to have the matching set of Veloflex Corsa EVO tubeless tyres that I purchased a while back mounted on my bike. So far, I have nothing but good things to say about the Veloflex tyres.
Old 09-05-20, 01:21 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,280 Times in 740 Posts
I have been riding about 2K miles per year. But, I split it between 2 bike both of which are Mavic USTs. So, for the past 2 years the tires on both bikes are just fine. So, maybe 2K each bike and still good.