Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Who's riding the "wrong" frame size?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Who's riding the "wrong" frame size?

Old 09-11-20, 04:54 AM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked 1,292 Times in 646 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce19
Why is it that people seem to think that the only way to determine frame size is with your height? Start with inseam.
Manufacturer marketing, and R*ddit

Last edited by Germany_chris; 09-11-20 at 12:55 PM.
Old 09-11-20, 10:42 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1722 Post(s)
Liked 1,272 Times in 734 Posts
Originally Posted by Germany_chris
Manufacturer marketing, and ******
And, it's cheaper to manufacture a bike in 3 sizes (S-M-L) than to build many more and more precise sizes.
Old 09-11-20, 03:55 PM
Dylansbob 
2k miles from the midwest

Bikes: ~'75 Colin Laing, '80s Schwinn SuperSport 650b, ex-Backroads ti project...

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked 931 Times in 446 Posts
5'10, just bought this "XL" frame

15yrs ago, I was riding 53cm road bikes. Comparing stack/reach between the large and XL, the XL was 7mm longer and 21mm higher. I'll take that, especially considering I don't want a stack of spacers on a carbon fork. Seatpost height already set.
Old 09-11-20, 04:32 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked 1,040 Times in 663 Posts
Well, this 22” RockHopper is fairly tall for a vintage MTB frame, but clearly, if I could find a taller frame it would be closer to “correct”. I’d be delighted to have a 25” frame that runs 26er wheels. Standover height would be considerable, I’m sure.

Otto
Old 09-11-20, 04:33 PM
spdntrxi

Bikes: not enough

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 52 Posts
I'm riding a BMC 47cm TimeMachine Road... but it's comparable to other companies 51-52 (except the stack is a little low) so it works for me.
Old 09-11-20, 04:42 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked 1,414 Times in 801 Posts
I bought a 55cm Lemond Poprad in August of last year knowing that it was too big for me. I fit best on 53 or 54 cm frames, 5'8" with 32" inseam. The Poprad, being a CX bike, is tall for a 55cm. Not a big deal, I used a 80mm stem, lowered the seat post below what would be normal, and placed the saddle almost to the forward maximum. It was quite comfortable, but the stand over height was definitely too tall, 806mm. The toptube was about as close to my crotch as it could be without actually touching my body. I have other bikes that are proper size, consequently, I did not ride the Poprad all that much, even though I really liked it.

A couple of weeks ago, on a different forum, I saw a post by a fellow that had acquired a 52cm Poprad that was too small for him. He is located about 140 miles from me. I posted that my Poprad is 55cm and too tall for me, would he consider a trade. We pm'ed, emailed and talked on the phone, exchanged some pictures, and decided to meet halfway and make the trade even up. Both bikes are in great shape, the 52cm Poprad is just right for me and the 55 for him. We are both very pleased about the whole deal. So, I no longer ride a Poprad that is too big.

I do have another bike, a late 80s Ochsner that I have owned since it was new. It is considered a 57 by the builder. It really is more like 55.5 to 56. I have always been comfortable riding it with the way I have it set up. I thought I would never consider selling it, but I am now thinking about doing that. I have definitely become more comfortable on a proper fitting bicycle. If I sell the Ochsner I will no longer be riding a bike that is the wrong fit. I now have 7 road bikes of different varieties, 6 of them fitting right, and the Ochsner. Once again, I like riding the Ochsner a lot, but do not use it that often anymore, going for one with the proper fit.
Old 09-11-20, 04:42 PM
gravyface

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bruce19
Why is it that people seem to think that the only way to determine frame size is with your height? Start with inseam.
I just measured. 33.5". So still thinking XL frame is the way to go.
Old 09-12-20, 05:06 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1722 Post(s)
Liked 1,272 Times in 734 Posts
Originally Posted by gravyface
I just measured. 33.5". So still thinking XL frame is the way to go.
I'd make sure by checking the manufacturer's specs and trying it out. Good luck