Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Hot Foot, need some new carbon shoes for my commute - suggestions?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-18, 06:31 PM
MulliganAl

Bikes: 2007 Specialized Tarmac with Mavic ES wheels, 2009 Specialized Hardrock, 2014 Rivendell Sam Hillborne

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

I had a nice Specialized road bike which I sold along with my Sidi shoes but now I'm finding that I could use a full carbon shoe even with my commuter bike. I had hot foot really bad years ago so I purchased a pair of full carbon bottom Sidi shoes and the issue was gone. Any suggestions for a nice carbon mtn bike like shoe, something that is easy to walk around in while off the bike?
Old 09-06-18, 06:10 AM
crazyravr

Bikes: 1 for road & 1 for gravel

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 28 Posts
Originally Posted by MulliganAl
I had a nice Specialized road bike which I sold along with my Sidi shoes but now I'm finding that I could use a full carbon shoe even with my commuter bike. I had hot foot really bad years ago so I purchased a pair of full carbon bottom Sidi shoes and the issue was gone. Any suggestions for a nice carbon mtn bike like shoe, something that is easy to walk around in while off the bike?
Carbon shoes and walking? Not happening. Not ever.
Old 09-07-18, 11:00 AM
PaulRivers

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
If you found a shoe that worked for you, I'd suggest going out of your way to buy that same model of shoe again. If you can't do that, buy a newer similar model from the same manufacturer. It's probably less the "carbon" aspect and more that the new shoe was made in a way that matched up with fitting your foot well.

After several shoes, fittings, pedal systems, etc, I started seeing studies that said that clipless was not faster than flats and I tried going back to flats. (They might have small advantages for sprinting etc which matter in racing but I'm not racing). Long story short good flat pedals and shoes the hotspots went away for me completely and I enjoyed riding a lot more without needing to constantly change shoes whenever I would ride somewhere.

I use Five Ten Freerider flat bike shoes ($100), which use a special extra sticky kind of rubber that grips a pedal with pins well:
https://www.adidasoutdoor.com/FT07.h...men-bike-shoes

I use DMR Vault pedals ($100) which are the most comfortable pedals I've used:
https://www.dmrbikes.com/Catalogue/P...lt-2/Vault-NEW

Might as well for you as it has for me, if you're looking for something you can ride in without hot spots and also walk around in off the bike in normal shoes.

They make cheaper good flat pedals as well, I own another pair of shorter specialized pedals, but it was the dmr vaults that I moved to my main bike because they've been consistently so comfortable to ride on.

Last edited by PaulRivers; 09-07-18 at 11:15 AM.
Old 09-07-18, 11:08 AM
Harhir

Bikes: Fahrradmanufaktur Trekking Bike, 2 x Lightning Phantom, bikeE AT, Radwagon3

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 138 Times in 72 Posts
Since I started sweating in my Shimano shoes once the temperature went up I switched to Keen sandals. I really like them although they could be a little bit wider:
https://www.keenfootwear.com/p/M-COMMUTER-4.html
Old 09-07-18, 11:20 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
I got an MTB shoe that Nike got made in Italy (by IDK who) ..
maybe 30 years ago ,, they seem OK.
don' t ride in them much, anymore, or screw the clipless pedals on any bike's crank .

maybe add a Carbon fiber composite Sheet under your insole ,
toe of shoe wont flex, so walking may suck.
Old 09-07-18, 11:31 AM
ptempel

Bikes: 2007 Ridley Excalibur, 2003 Orbea Orca, 199? Cannondale Headshock MTB hardtail

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
I don't think the sole has to be carbon to be stiff and reasonably light. The Bont a-three and Mavic Ksyrium II shoes that I have had both don't have carbon soles. They were plenty stiff, but unfortunately not meant for walking. For walking, most folks seem to use a Shimano SPD compatible pedal system with shoes that can have the cleat a bit recessed (like MTB shoes). I have yet to use them since I've been using Look cleats and pedals since the early 1990's. So I guess that I'm proof that you can use just about any shoe and pedal system that floats your boat. Walking be damned. Actually, I use cleat covers to protect the cleats and improve walking a bit.
Old 09-09-18, 06:46 AM
Archwhorides 

Bikes: Death machines all

Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 63 Posts
Do walking and carbon really mix?

I've had good success with mid-range MTB shoes with recessed SPD cleats, they balance the right amounts of stiffness for riding and tread/flex for walking. (Higher end MTB shoes shave tread to lose weight for racing and IMO that is bad for commuting/walking).
  • I wore out a pair of Sidi SD15 shoes after 3 years of daily use. The last year the sole was getting a little too flexible and starting to get a little "hot", but a great shoe overall.
  • Currently riding Fizik M6B, which are a little stiffer than the Sidi. Love these shoes.
I'm totally sold on the Boa closure tech available with this type of shoes, so fast, secure and comfortable.

Last edited by Archwhorides; 09-09-18 at 07:46 AM.
Old 09-09-18, 07:33 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
Serious MTB shoes have a set of holes in the sole at the toe for traction cleats. The holes usually are covered with screws. They tend to go clip-clop like heels. Probably any treaded shoe that lacks these will be fine for walking.
Old 09-09-18, 07:45 AM
Archwhorides 

Bikes: Death machines all

Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
Serious MTB shoes have a set of holes in the sole at the toe for traction cleats. The holes usually are covered with screws. They tend to go clip-clop like heels. Probably any treaded shoe that lacks these will be fine for walking.
My MTB shoes have these holes/screws, but they are sufficiently recessed to avoid contact with the pavement (unless the pavement is hard and irregular).