Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Should I upgrade?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Should I upgrade?

Old 05-18-20, 06:02 AM
Sn00p444

Bikes: Vintage Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Should I upgrade?

I recently picked up a 93ish specialized Allez which has a shimano downtube mounted shifter and Rx100. Curious if I should update it to a handle mounted shifter integrated into the brake handles such as a shimano Claris. Everything seems to work but I need to replace the tires, cables, and cable outers.
Old 05-18-20, 06:29 AM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1954 Post(s)
Liked 3,656 Times in 1,677 Posts
Originally Posted by Sn00p444
I recently picked up a 93ish specialized Allez which has a shimano downtube mounted shifter and Rx100. Curious if I should update it to a handle mounted shifter integrated into the brake handles such as a shimano Claris. Everything seems to work but I need to replace the tires, cables, and cable outers.
only if u dont like the current shifters. Personally i use barend friction on everything.
Old 05-18-20, 06:31 AM
microcord

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 52 Posts
In your place, I wouldn't.

When you ask whether you "should" update the bike, I wonder if you're worried about something. As long as 1993 technology is working well (and it very likely is), there's nothing to worry about.

Brifters save a small amount of the rider's time. This is important if you're racing. Most people aren't racing and never will race; and if they did want to race, they could make much greater time savings by training than by changing the location of their gear levers.
Likes For microcord:
Old 05-18-20, 11:56 AM
Insidious C. 

Bikes: One of everything and three of everything French

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 462 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 211 Posts
DT looks best IMO. Run what you've already got. Brifters offer very incremental benefit but cost $$ and mess up your bike's feng shui with more cables shooting out of the bars.
Old 05-18-20, 01:52 PM
3Roch

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 24 Posts
Just to offer another opinion. I have bikes with both brifters (shifter/brake combined) and bar end shifters, and spent many years/ miles with downtube shifters. I like brifters much better than the alternatives; mostly because you don't need to move your hand to shift( bar ends depending on where your hand is) or take your hand off the bar to shift (dt shifters) . Not a big deal if you are just rolling along but if I'm pounding up a hill in traffic I would just as soon keep both hands on the bars

Yeah, I know people used downtube shifters for decades......but
Likes For 3Roch:
Old 05-18-20, 01:53 PM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked 2,023 Times in 989 Posts
Shimano's RX100 is a solid groupset, provided it's not been abused (of course). If you know how to replace cables, cable housings, tires, etc and tune everything up again, keeping the original groupset is the simplest way to get the bike back in action and better than it's pre-maintenance state.

I really like the Claris groupset as it looks sharp, the STI/brifters are comfortable and work well, and it doesn't cost an arm and a leg yet gives you proven performance. The brake and shift cables are both under the bar tape, so the look is very clean. It is 8-speed, so a new rear wheel is needed to operate to full potential as 7-speed freehub bodies are shorter/less wide than 8-10/11-speed freehub bodies. You could put 7 of the 8 cassette cogs on your current wheels and do that to save time and hassle if you wanted. I'd lean towards a new wheel/wheelset with 8-10 (or 8-11) speed compatibility because it saves the hassle of fidgeting with things and not forgetting, plus you get all 8 speeds and the ability to go to more speeds at some point in the future if you ever want to. That's just me though, and there are plenty of decent new and used wheelsets (~$100) for sale that should do the trick.

STI/brifters offer a lot of convenience and can be more comfortable than older brake levers (with whatever bars were used with them), so you won't find me discouraging you from going ahead with them. I think or I assume you "should I" question is a matter of practicality as you'll have everything disconnected and thus it makes it a perfect time to put other parts on it before cabling it all up.
Old 05-18-20, 02:15 PM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,123 Times in 746 Posts
I like brifters too -- they were common enough by '93 -- go for it.
Old 05-18-20, 02:18 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3857 Post(s)
Liked 6,449 Times in 3,189 Posts
"Upgrade?? Upgrade??!!"

"Refund??!!"
Old 05-18-20, 03:40 PM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2607 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 932 Posts
Originally Posted by 3Roch
Just to offer another opinion. I have bikes with both brifters (shifter/brake combined) and bar end shifters, and spent many years/ miles with downtube shifters. I like brifters much better than the alternatives; mostly because you don't need to move your hand to shift( bar ends depending on where your hand is) or take your hand off the bar to shift (dt shifters) . Not a big deal if you are just rolling along but if I'm pounding up a hill in traffic I would just as soon keep both hands on the bars

Yeah, I know people used downtube shifters for decades......but
Exactly.

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 05-18-20, 05:59 PM
MadKaw

Bikes: 1977 Raleigh Super Course, 1993 Trek 8000, 2016 Diamondback Haanjo Comp, 2018 Marin B-17, 2018 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
I think the reason for riding vintage bikes has little to do with what's "best". My old Super Course will never be the bike that my Roubaix is, but I still love it for what it is. I recommend keeping it as original as possible.
Likes For MadKaw:
Old 05-19-20, 12:36 AM
Lascauxcaveman 

Bikes: A green one, "Ragleigh," or something.

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked 630 Times in 356 Posts
I like brifters; but I like downtube shifting just as well. I guess what I like about brifters is mostly the complex gadgetry component of the whole deal. "Can I get all this persnickety stuff to work the way it's supposed to?" Turns out I can,and yeah, it's fun to use, but the plain old downtube shifters work just as well for me, and they basically fall into place on their own.

And Shimano Claris is as fugly as it gets - at least on a classic old steel frame. There is no love in my heart for that grotesque stuff.
● 1971 Grandis SL ● 1972 Lambert Grand Prix frankenbike ● 1972 Raleigh Super Course fixie ● 1973 Nishiki Semi-Pro ● 1979 Motobecane Grand Jubile ●1980 Apollo "Legnano" ● 1984 Peugeot Vagabond ● 1985 Shogun Prairie Breaker ● 1986 Merckx Super Corsa ● 1987 Schwinn Tempo ● 1988 Schwinn Voyageur ● 1989 Bottechia Team ADR replica ● 1990 Cannondale ST600 ● 1993 Technium RT600 ● 1996 Kona Lava Dome ●

Likes For Lascauxcaveman: