Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Headsweats Type Cap for Larger Head Size

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-20, 11:37 AM
August West

Bikes: Domane SLR7 Project One

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 105 Posts

Can anybody recommend a headsweats type cap that will comfortably fit a larger head size (62mm)?

I bought a headsweats shorty in 2015 which it fit great and kept most of the sweat out of my eyes. Last year I ordered 2 more but they have redesigned the caps. One is tight but marginally wearable. The other is even tighter and starts to give me a headache after about an hour. Both leave deep indentations on my forehead that take hours to go away.

I would prefer a full cap to a sweatband to keep the sun off my scalp since I now sporting a ⅛" buzzcut thanks to COVID-19 (and might just keep it).

TIA
Old 05-29-20, 12:00 PM
taco2ewsday

Bikes: 2021 Canyon Endurace SL8, 2019 Cannondale Topstone Sora, 2002 Giant Yukon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 148 Times in 57 Posts
I bought cheapo neck gaiters off amazon and pull them over my head

https://www.amazon.com/Venswell-Head...775185&sr=8-34
Old 05-29-20, 12:09 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
I hear ya.. I liked the original Shorty a lot more than the SuperDuty ones that they now have. However, noticed they also now have a Repreve version, with an elastic back as well as a terry lining (maybe like the original shorty?). I'm tempted to try.
https://www.headsweats.com/repreve-s...lue-honeycomb/

Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 05-29-20, 12:28 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
https://www.arcteryx.com/us/en/shop/calvus-cap

This is excellent. And fully adjustable. When it's completely saturated with sweat, it drips off the end of the brim away from your face. Doesn't stain from sweat or washing. Also does a great job of keeping the sun out of your eyes and from burning your forehead.
Old 05-29-20, 12:40 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
https://www.arcteryx.com/us/en/shop/calvus-cap

This is excellent. And fully adjustable. When it's completely saturated with sweat, it drips off the end of the brim away from your face. Doesn't stain from sweat or washing. Also does a great job of keeping the sun out of your eyes and from burning your forehead.
My neck aches looking at a hat with that long of brim..
Old 05-29-20, 02:13 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Let's the ladies know what to expect.
Old 05-29-20, 04:12 PM
August West

Bikes: Domane SLR7 Project One

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 105 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions.

After the OP I decided I wasn't going to endure the cranial vise treatment anymore so I grabbed a sharp knife and proceeded to do a little surgery on the 2 tight ones. I was able to cut the stitching away from the elastic band in the back and remove the elastic entirely. Now they both fit pretty loosely, about like my original Headsweats. But since I wear them under my helmet I don't care if they are loose or not since they aren't going anywhere. Should be able to make it through the summer now and will worry about getting replacements next year.
Old 05-29-20, 04:52 PM
jrobe

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 22 Posts
What works best for me is a combination of a Headsweats sweatband which works best for absorbing sweat with a very light Headsweats skullcap for sunny days to keep the top of my head protected from the sun. They both fit my head well and are very thin so they fit well under my helmet. Kind of the best of both worlds.
Old 05-30-20, 08:46 AM
justonwo

Bikes: 2020 Pinarello Dogma F12 Disc (Enve SES 3.4), 2021 S-Works Aethos (Roval Alpinist CLX II), 2024 Topstone Lab71 (Terra CLX II), 2006 Cervelo Soloist (10 speed Ultegra), 2021 S-Works Epic

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 34 Posts
What is the tail for on the Headsweats cap for?
Old 05-30-20, 10:43 AM
PoorInRichfield

Bikes: Trek Domane SL7 Disc, Cannondale F29

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Liked 324 Times in 185 Posts
Having a big noggin', I've gone down this road before and found most "skull caps" have elastic bands in them that are just too tight. In addition, some skull caps add just enough bulk to make my helmet fit too tight, creating a different problem. I currently have a bunch of really cheap, tie-able sweatbands from Voler that did the job for cheap, but even they stopped making the bands However, I do see they make a skull cap that is tied in the back so maybe this is a good alternative for us big noggin' people?

I'm still wanting a full skull cap for two reasons... I'm starting to get a "solar panel" (thinning hair) on the top of my head which I don't want sunburned through my helmet vents. Second, I have issues with bugs getting into my helmet quite frequently. If my head is covered with a skull cap, unless the bug is super angry, I shouldn't even notice it's in my helmet.

https://www.voler.com/browse/product/li/1240451

Old 05-30-20, 10:44 AM
PoorInRichfield

Bikes: Trek Domane SL7 Disc, Cannondale F29

Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Liked 324 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by justonwo
What is the tail for on the Headsweats cap for?
I believe this acts as a path to redirect collected sweat to your back instead of dripping down your forehead after the sweat band or cap is saturated.
Old 05-30-20, 04:54 PM
Princess_Allez

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 40 Posts
I'm 100% satisfied with Castelli's sweat cap. I used to drench my face, dripping sweat during summer. It perfectly soaks up all my sweat and dries quick enough so as to not become oversaturated.
Old 05-30-20, 10:27 PM
sfrider 
Asleep at the bars

Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 135 Posts
I'm happy with the Giro SPF 30 Ultralight skullcap. It might be too small for a 62cm head though, but otherwise I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it. I have a 60cm head and the GIro stays on without a helmet on the trainer, but outdoors in wind it might not. Not an issue with a helmet. As long as it keeps sweat out of my face I'm good.