Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Need new tire..tubeless installation

Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Old 06-24-20, 07:25 AM
eaglesandcycling

Bikes: 2019 Trek Checkpoint ALR5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 23 Posts

Thinking to buy a tubeless tire and install it myself (I have a 2019 Trek Checkpoint ALR5) but it looks a bit complicated from watching some youtube videos. Is it?
Old 06-24-20, 07:34 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
If you don't own a compressor, it can be a little tough to get some tires seated. Other than that, it's pretty much like mounting any other tire.
Old 06-24-20, 10:28 AM
sarhog

Bikes: GR300, Grail, Live Wire, 5010

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 241 Times in 121 Posts
It’s pretty straightforward. Here’s a couple of tips.... Remove the presta valve core when attempting to seat the tire, you’ll get lots more air volume that way, and...don’t add sealant until you’ve already seated the tire. Once the beads have seated and everything looks good, remove the pump head from the presta valve (of course all the air will escape). Then add the desired amount of sealant thru the presta (the valve core is still missing at this point). Finally, install the valve core and air it up again to whatever pressure you’ll be running, and slosh the tire around to spread the sealant around.
Then mount the wheel and ride.
Likes For sarhog:
Old 06-24-20, 12:58 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked 841 Times in 475 Posts
Skinny strippers are the nuclear option. If they came out when tubeless was created, we would have like a quarter as many threads asking about tubeless problems.

No matter what rim an tire combo, leaky valve stem, or peeling tape, skinny strippers basically fix it.

I install them once I decide I like the tire and hope to keep it on until the tire is totally worn out.

I always keep 2 in the garage and reorder if I run low.
Old 06-24-20, 01:25 PM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Its often easy, sometimes impossible. The hardest part is getting the tire on the rim (especially some hook-less rims). If you can do that, the rest is well documented above by sarhog. I always figured if I couldn't use my hand pump, I'd go to the local gas station and use their compressed air. But skinny strippers work great if it won't mount on its own.

Give it a try and let us know how it goes...
Old 06-24-20, 01:43 PM
fourfa

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 35 Posts
So far I've had 100% success with the following on my gravel wheels:

Remove valve core, install tire with tube
Inflate and get both beads to seat all the way
Deflate, unseat one bead, CAREFULLY remove the tube leaving the other bead fully seated
Install valve core
Set the wheel horizontally on the ground with the open bead down, so gravity helps a bit rather than hinders
Carefully tug on the tread to get the open bead as close to the rim as you can. You might be able to set about half of the circumference all the way into the bead.
Pump hard

But there's such a wide range in rims and tires, best you can do it try and see what happens. If you're in the market for a new floor pump there are a bunch now with air chambers you can compress with the handle then release in a burst, this makes a lot of sense to me.
Old 06-24-20, 03:01 PM
tangerineowl

Bikes: Curve Grovel v2 ti

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 73 Posts
Originally Posted by fourfa
So far I've had 100% success with the following on my gravel wheels:

Remove valve core, install tire with tube
Inflate and get both beads to seat all the way
Deflate, unseat one bead, CAREFULLY remove the tube leaving the other bead fully seated
Install valve core
Set the wheel horizontally on the ground with the open bead down, so gravity helps a bit rather than hinders
Carefully tug on the tread to get the open bead as close to the rim as you can. You might be able to set about half of the circumference all the way into the bead.
Pump hard

But there's such a wide range in rims and tires, best you can do it try and see what happens. If you're in the market for a new floor pump there are a bunch now with air chambers you can compress with the handle then release in a burst, this makes a lot of sense to me.
Sometimes I will need to apply a little soapy water on that unseated bead side, just to make it a little easier to move the bead up on the rim shelf, when pumping up.

If one bead still does not want to seat, I will use a tyre lever to force the bead up on the shelf; running the lever around the rim. About 3/4 of the bead tends to seat before things get too tight to lever by hand any more. Then I pump up. There is a final trick where you can perform a similar bead lifting action by putting the wheel/tyre back in the dropout, and using the tyre lever in a hand-locked position, while slowly turning the wheel with your hand/bodyweight force. This takes much less force/effort than doing the same off the frame. Of course, I am only resorting to this method if run out of / or have no cO2.

Last edited by tangerineowl; 06-24-20 at 03:03 PM. Reason: txt
Old 06-24-20, 11:17 PM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Bikes: R5, Allez Sprint, Shiv

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 295 Posts
Skinny strippers?

Somehow, i dont think it means what i think it means.
Old 06-25-20, 09:16 AM
csrpenfab

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 99 Times in 57 Posts
On my Niner RDO, the tubeless G1's go on pretty easy by hand. Now on my Trek FX6S, you're not getting the tubeless Bontrager tires on without some mechanical assistance. I've found this handy Kool-Stop tire jack and a bit of soapy water makes that a 10 second task with no cursing or sore hands.

Old 06-25-20, 10:41 AM
chas58

Originally Posted by guadzilla
Skinny strippers?

Somehow, i dont think it means what i think it means.
Well, the orignial product was fatty strippers. Word of advice: don't google this at work.
Likes For chas58:
Old 06-25-20, 10:43 AM
chas58

Originally Posted by csrpenfab
On my Niner RDO, the tubeless G1's go on pretty easy by hand. Now on my Trek FX6S, you're not getting the tubeless Bontrager tires on without some mechanical assistance. I've found this handy Kool-Stop tire jack and a bit of soapy water makes that a 10 second task with no cursing or sore hands.
+1. Highly recommended. One of the best bang for the buck tools I have ever bought. Never thought of it before tubeless, but it makes life so much easier (and sometimes solves impossible jobs).

Y'all go buy one
Likes For chas58: