Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

My commuting bicycles

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

My commuting bicycles

Old 07-31-20, 06:51 PM
countrydirt
Occasional poster

Bikes: 1997 Trek 520, 2020 Trek Marlin 5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 13 Posts
My commuting bicycles

I am taking up bicycle commuting after August 10 when we go back to school. I say 'after August 10" as I am having a minor procedure on shoulder/back next week and it will keep me off a bike for a few days to a week.

On the left is my new to me 2002 Trek 520. I just added the Schwalbe Marathons in 35 today in fact and they roll smoothly and should last a good long time. Since our local flower is the puncture vine (goathead) I went ahead and added thornproof tubes just in case. I intend to change out the rear rack as the stock Trek rack simple is too short for my Lone Peak Panniers. I have a front rack that I may add if I take up some fall 2-3 day tours, but that's a ways down the road. Any suggestions on a good robust rear rack are welcome.

On the right is my 1988ish Miyata Trail Runner. I've had this bike for around 10 years and enjoy the heck out of it. It is running some 1.95" low profile knobbies and has a good solid rack. I'll use it if I feel like a need a bit more upright ride. It has carried me camping a couple of times and is a solid steel bike. I can cruise along at 14-18 mph without much worry.

My one way commute distance is right around 5.5 miles and is a combination of paved country roads/streets and about 2 miles of 4 lane highway with pretty low traffic and a wide shoulder. So far my trial runs have taken about 25 minutes or less, so I feel confident. Of course, it's a little uphill going home, but not like a steep climb anywhere. Both bikes have front lights and rear blinkies. I will need to add a saddle wedge on one of them at some point.

Last edited by countrydirt; 07-31-20 at 07:04 PM. Reason: clarifying after photo upload
Likes For countrydirt:
Old 07-31-20, 10:10 PM
georgiaboy
Retro-nerd

Bikes: 1991 Serotta Colorado II, 1986 Vitus 979, 1971 Juene Classic, 2008 Surly Crosscheck, 1956 Riva Sport

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 39 Posts
Looks like you’re all set to go. Two contrasting type bicycles mean you can switch up your ride now and then.

I see you have been on BFs for 15 years, even contributing to Joe so, all this is probably old hat for you.

Wish you the best!
Old 08-01-20, 05:07 AM
countrydirt
Occasional poster

Thanks georgiaboy I haven't commuted regularly since around 1998 or 1999, so this will be a new adventure for me. I'm looking forward to doing my part.
Old 08-01-20, 07:39 AM
countrydirt
Occasional poster

Out for an early morning ride of our river trail.
Beautiful cool 10 mile spin.
Old 08-02-20, 09:47 AM
countrydirt
Occasional poster

Okay, I have a question. I just put 700 X 35 C tires on. I am changing the rack out in the next week. I want to put fenders on this bike. Anyone have a good recommendation for a brand or model of fenders for this 2002 Trek 520?

Thank you in advance.
Old 08-02-20, 08:07 PM
But its me 

Bikes: A few older US made Cannondales, a modern Soma Saga (no longer made, alas!), and one gifted crabon Specialized. Never enough.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 39 Posts
I run SKS p45 longboards on my Soma Saga commuter. I also run Marathons in 35mm, and they fit perfectly. The longboards work well as they really are longer than the standard SKS models, with a mud flap for the front (and rear) that gives good coverage. Plenty flexible for the bus bike racks too. Considered fancier (and pricier) all metal fenders, but the bus rack wheel clamp mechanism would do a number on those — the Longboards bounce right back. I would assume the Trek could handle the fenders without issue.

For a rear rack, I run an Ortlieb 3 (not sure model) rack and ql3 commuter bags, but my previous rack was the Racktime AddIt. Sturdy rack from parent company of Tubus (and Ortlieb?). Not quite a Tubus rack, but reasonably priced, and plenty stout.

Last edited by But its me; 08-02-20 at 08:14 PM. Reason: Misspellings ocd
Likes For But its me:
Old 08-06-20, 05:10 AM
countrydirt
Occasional poster

My procedure went well yesterday afternoon, and if the way I feel this morning is any indication, I likely will be back on the bike by Monday, so my commute should be on schedule.
Old 08-06-20, 09:25 AM
Nyah
QR-disc must die!!!

Bikes: '99 Trek 520, '20 Kona Sutra (FOR SALE 48cm), '21 Simon-Bikes mini-velo and a chromoly-framed folding bicycle with drop-bars and V-brakes, that rolls even while folded.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 147 Posts
I use a bicycle very similar to your Trek. Mine is a '99 Trek 520 w/35mm Marathon Greenguards. I have only about 6mm space between the tire and the fork-crown. To have a front fender, I will have to split it and use some kind of bracket to hold the front piece with. So far the only solution that I know of is this pack of Reacharound brackets by River City Bicycles. Maybe I will try to fabricate my own version, since I don't need the one for the rear wheel.
Likes For Nyah:
Old 08-06-20, 09:28 AM
countrydirt
Occasional poster

Originally Posted by Nyah
I use a bicycle very similar to your Trek. Mine is a '99 Trek 520 w/35mm Marathon Greenguards. I have only about 6mm space between the tire and the fork-crown. To have a front fender, I will have to split it and use some kind of bracket to hold the front piece with. So far the only solution that I know of is this pack of Reacharound brackets by River City Bicycles. Maybe I will try to fabricate my own version, since I don't need the one for the rear wheel.
That looks like a good workaround. My fenders should arrive today and I'll likely put them on this afternoon.
Old 08-09-20, 09:06 AM
countrydirt
Occasional poster

My shoulder/neck procedure went well and I've ridden every day since Wednesday, so I'm going to start the commute tomorrow. Fortunately we are going to be "virtual" from our classrooms and social distanced in our auditorium, so I don't care if I'm a little sweaty and stinky. I will pack my lunch in my trunk pack and probably through a shirt or two in a set of panniers. I'll leave a pair of shoes at school and then just bring clean socks daily.
Old 08-10-20, 06:18 PM
countrydirt
Occasional poster

First commute went well. Left my house around 6:20 and made it to the school about 6:45 - I didn't push at all. Home was different. I had a nice tailwind and so cruised home in 20 minutes.
Old 08-11-20, 12:07 AM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked 1,292 Times in 646 Posts
I may be the odd man out but I prefer my weight on the front so I run the front rack only most of the time.

As far a racks go nitto and tubus make some of the best IMHO
Likes For Germany_chris:
Old 08-11-20, 09:38 AM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

countrydirt here's how I do it..

The panniers carry clothes/groceries/computer etc. when needed and I take the handlebar bag in with me and it carries all the daily stuff.
Likes For Germany_chris:
Old 08-11-20, 10:30 AM
frogman

Bikes: Wife says I have too many :-)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 248 Times in 158 Posts
country dirt,

I like your reference to your "local flower" the Goathead. We have this lovely plant around here also. I switched to Conti Gatorskins for awhile to minimize flats from the little creeps. A lot less flats but the ride is very rough over our poorly maintained streets.
Likes For frogman:
Old 08-11-20, 05:00 PM
countrydirt
Occasional poster

Originally Posted by Germany_chris

countrydirt here's how I do it..

The panniers carry clothes/groceries/computer etc. when needed and I take the handlebar bag in with me and it carries all the daily stuff.
I like that setup. I have a front rack, but haven't mounted it yet.
Old 08-11-20, 06:20 PM
countrydirt
Occasional poster

Today's commute was nice in the morning and somewhat brutal in the afternoon - 65F in the morning, 100F in the afternoon. Light headwind headed home in the heat, but I only had to endure for about 25 minutes.
Old 08-14-20, 11:22 AM
countrydirt
Occasional poster

Completed my first week of commuting for a total of 60 miles. 4 rides were on the Trek 520 and one was on the Miyata.
Old 08-14-20, 10:06 PM
Gene Machine

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
love the colour

I love a green bike with brown leather seat and tape. I have an old peugeot that i'd love to repaint to that colour scheme.

I am doing a recce of my new commute tomorrow, 35km each way. fortunately, mostly on bike paths across town. I plan to start that up on Monday.
Likes For Gene Machine:
Old 08-19-20, 08:11 AM
countrydirt
Occasional poster

Here is my set up this week. The trunk pack holds my lunch. I have the small Lone Peak panniers in case I need to bring home my computer or haul clothes.
Old 08-28-20, 04:48 AM
countrydirt
Occasional poster

I finished my 3rd week of commuting every day this week. It has been a nice change from driving for sure. I want keep going as long as the weather allows. I may add another mountain bike to the lineup as my youngest son just (yesterday) received his driver's license and no longer needs me to ride along with him when he goes to see his girlfriend (dropped him off then drove home) so I just might take over his newer Trek 4300. Here in southern Colorado, I believe I should have at least 2 months of pretty warm weather for riding but may have to add socks to my sandals in the mornings.

My weight continues to drop and my blood pressure is dropping as well. Not enough to get off the meds just yet, but I'm feeling pretty good. I'm going to be able to fit back in some pants that I've not worn for several years!
Old 09-24-20, 04:36 PM
.cosmonaut.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by countrydirt
My weight continues to drop and my blood pressure is dropping as well. Not enough to get off the meds just yet, but I'm feeling pretty good. I'm going to be able to fit back in some pants that I've not worn for several years!
This is cool, congrats!!
Likes For .cosmonaut.:
Old 09-24-20, 04:47 PM
Gene Machine

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Gene Machine
I love a green bike with brown leather seat and tape. I have an old peugeot that i'd love to repaint to that colour scheme.

I am doing a recce of my new commute tomorrow, 35km each way. fortunately, mostly on bike paths across town. I plan to start that up on Monday.
well, been riding to work at least 4 days a week. I’m over 700km for September so far, aiming for 1000.

mostly on my Giant hybrid, but started using my Fuji Sportif more and more. I cut about 10 min off my ride since it’s so much faster, but it doesn’t have a reach or fenders like the Giant.
Likes For Gene Machine:
Old 09-25-20, 01:04 PM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Originally Posted by Gene Machine
well, been riding to work at least 4 days a week. I’m over 700km for September so far, aiming for 1000.

mostly on my Giant hybrid, but started using my Fuji Sportif more and more. I cut about 10 min off my ride since it’s so much faster, but it doesn’t have a reach or fenders like the Giant.

that’s nothing a trip to eBay won’t fix..

I just ordered fenders et. al. 15 minutes ago for my winter beater