Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Best way to remove deafening screeching sound from vintage rim brakes?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 08-26-20, 06:29 AM
datord

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Hi Guys! whats the Best way to remove deafening screeching sound from vintage rim brakes??
Old 08-26-20, 06:41 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Toe in the shoes. Trailing edge in a millimeter or two. This is accomplished in one of several ways, depending on the type of pad and/or cartridge/holder your pad has. Provide more detail on the rim type, caliper type (brand/model), and the pad or block type. These all factor in.

The old school method with simple bolt-on pads that lack angular adjustment was to bend the aluminum caliper arm ends to accomplish the toe in. Done with a crescent wrench, or alternatively, with a screwdriver prying through the opening in the end of the caliper (pad removed). I wouldn't recommend this for anyone under 55 years old, though.

Alternative factors that can contribute to better braking, but not at all to the chirping: rubber compound selected for the block, rim material (chrome steel versus aluminum, machined braking surface versus smooth), and rim surfaces kept scrupulously clean.
Old 08-26-20, 07:07 AM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked 799 Times in 467 Posts
Sigh..so we've reached the point where rim brakes are considered "vintage"..and novel..quaint... while wooden rims are certainly vintage, I hope rim brakes are not..

(..and OP..there's tons of info on the web about adjusting brakes..rim or otherwise..)
Old 08-26-20, 08:15 AM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
Originally Posted by fishboat
Sigh..so we've reached the point where rim brakes are considered "vintage"..and novel..quaint... while wooden rims are certainly vintage, I hope rim brakes are not..

(..and OP..there's tons of info on the web about adjusting brakes..rim or otherwise..)
I think the OP means they have a vintage bike.
Old 08-26-20, 08:24 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1792 Post(s)
Liked 1,671 Times in 955 Posts
Some rim brakes on older bikes are more prone to brake squeal than others. Knowing which ones you have would be helpful if you want useful answers
Old 08-26-20, 08:40 AM
branko_76 

Bikes: ........................................ .....Holdsworth "Special"..... .......Falcon "Special".......... .........Miyata 912........... ........................................

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 701 Post(s)
Liked 667 Times in 417 Posts
Originally Posted by datord
Hi Guys! whats the Best way to remove deafening screeching sound from vintage rim brakes??
Do you have steel or aluminum rims?
Old 08-26-20, 09:55 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
1) replace the antique rubber brake pads.
Likes For fietsbob:
Old 08-26-20, 12:06 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3905 Post(s)
Liked 7,181 Times in 2,905 Posts
Replace them with vintage disc brakes?
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 08-26-20, 05:29 PM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 526 Posts
Sometimes it's just not going to go away, but try these things:
Toe in your pads, but just slightly
Clean your rims. I use acetone but others use alcohol (which does little IMO)
Resuface your pads by lightly sanding them. Mount the sandpaper on a flat surface.
Change your pads. I like the Kool Stop products.
Rebuild your calipers. Sometimes there is too much play in the center pivot that causes resonance in braking
Check your hubs. Sometimes play in the axle can cause a resonant vibration in your rim when braking (so I've heard).

Not recommended: I heard about a chap who treated his rims with auto body wax. Apparently it reduced the squeal but also reduced his braking performance big time.
Old 08-26-20, 05:36 PM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
Originally Posted by Moe Zhoost
Not recommended: I heard about a chap who treated his rims with auto body wax. Apparently it reduced the squeal but also reduced his braking performance big time.
Along a similar line just don't use the brakes.

Chamferring the edge of the pad helps as well.
Old 08-26-20, 05:54 PM
BoraxKid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 72 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
Toe in the shoes. Trailing edge in a millimeter or two.
This sounds backwards. All of the toeing-in advice I ever got was to have the front edge of the pads toed-in a millimeter or two, so that you have more control and it's easier to modulate the braking force. Why would you want the back of the pads to hit first? What would that accomplish?
Old 08-26-20, 06:08 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10244 Post(s)
Liked 11,597 Times in 5,944 Posts
Originally Posted by BoraxKid
This sounds backwards. All of the toeing-in advice I ever got was to have the front edge of the pads toed-in a millimeter or two, so that you have more control and it's easier to modulate the braking force. Why would you want the back of the pads to hit first? What would that accomplish?
Might depend on how you define "leading edge" and "trailing edge".

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 08-26-20, 06:12 PM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Yes. Probably a terminology error on my part. The edge forward most, that makes contact first when toed in properly. My bad...
Old 08-26-20, 06:17 PM
BoraxKid

Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
Yes. Probably a terminology error on my part. The edge forward most, that makes contact first when toed in properly. My bad...
OTOH, I could see why having the rear-most edge of the pad contact the rim first might be preferable: it could clear away any debris and effectively clean-off the rim before the rest of the pad makes contact. Has anyone tried this?
Old 08-26-20, 06:19 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10244 Post(s)
Liked 11,597 Times in 5,944 Posts
OTOH, I could see why having the rear-most edge of the pad contact the rim first might be preferable: it could clear away any debris and effectively clean-off the rim before the rest of the pad makes contact. Has anyone tried this?
But the friction with the rim would have the effect of twisting the rest of the pad AWAY from the rim reducing the contact surface, wheres with proper toe-in, the friction twists the pad TOWARD the rim.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 08-26-20, 07:03 PM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
Yes, that works wonderfully to make the brakes squeal
Old 08-26-20, 07:13 PM
BoraxKid

Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
Yes, that works wonderfully to make the brakes squeal
that's what I suspected, but I couldn't remember why people don't do that. it's nice to get a refresher course now and then.
Old 08-26-20, 07:43 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,664 Times in 2,497 Posts
The squealing on a vintage Mafac brake can be fixed with a few minutes and a small round file. Or you can get these angled washers from Rene Herse
https://www.renehersecycles.com/shop...e-washer-pair/
Old 08-26-20, 10:34 PM
frogman

Bikes: Wife says I have too many :-)

Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 248 Times in 158 Posts

Exactly...........
Old 08-27-20, 01:26 PM
flan48

Bikes: Cannondale Quick 2

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 22 Posts
A real screeching sound, i.e. somewhat high pitched, could be due to the brake pads having slipped and now partially in contact with the tire. It's a terrible screeching sound!

Best regards

Last edited by flan48; 08-27-20 at 01:27 PM. Reason: Mis-typed
Old 08-27-20, 02:01 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked 1,040 Times in 663 Posts
Some, if not all, Kool Stop pads have this feature. The tip of the rear most end of the pad is shaped to point in and contact the rim before or about the same time as the properly toed-in front end contacts the rim. Of course, that part is subject to wear just like the rest of the pad, so eventually it ends up worn down to the rest of the pad.

Otto

Last edited by ofajen; 08-27-20 at 04:03 PM.
Old 08-28-20, 12:55 PM
63rickert

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 329 Times in 245 Posts
It can be and has been done both ways and both ways work. Backwards looks strange and goofy and reason enough to leave it alone. Has definitely been a remedy that works for brakes where everything else has been tried and fails.

My Mafac brakes still squeal on very humid days. If I lived where total humidity was constant don’t know what could be done. Fortunately around here total humidity is like today when it is so freaking hot not one is riding or it happens a short time early in a.m.
Old 08-28-20, 01:12 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
Toeing in, a brake pad, is actually the trailing edge of the brake pad touching first, because the top of the wheel rim is moving forward..
Likes For fietsbob:
Old 08-28-20, 01:28 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3846 Post(s)
Liked 6,437 Times in 3,183 Posts
So much time and energy are wasted on these threads featuring no real information from the source like one simple photograph.
Old 08-28-20, 01:31 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6882 Post(s)
Liked 10,873 Times in 4,637 Posts
Buy a bike with disc brakes. They might still screech, but it'll be in a different pitch, for variety.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.