Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Tour de Cure: Just plain awesome

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-10, 05:42 PM
Crazy88s

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This was my first year doing the Tour de Cure. I had planned on riding the 60 mile route but with my wife joining me and knowing she can't ride 60 miles, I rode the 30 mile option with her. I had it my mind that this was a ride and not a race and it started off that way.

The 8:30am start came around and tons of people were lined up ready to roll. Everything from $5,000 bikes all the way down to $100 bikes joined the action and it was awesome!! Everyone was so nice. It was quite a sight to see so many cyclist take to the road for such an amazing cause.

As we started off, my wife and I were in the middle of the group. After each mile it seemed we were getting closer and closer to the front. At this point I knew that both my wife and I were too competitive to just ride so we amped it up. We had a wicked downhill and I knew at some point we'd have to pay for it and we did. There was a massive hill but both my wife and I just powered up it. I even had a decked out skinny guy say "wow" as I passed him on the hill.

At the end of the ride, we averaged close to 16mph. We are definitely getting faster.

The amount of support and comradely made this event a memorable one. There was live music, plenty of food and the weather was perfect.

If you want to be part of a truly awesome cycling event then I strongly recommend you ride in a Tour de Cure.

I rode for my mom, my dad and my brother. All had/have diabetes.

My wife and I after the ride.
Old 05-16-10, 05:56 PM
mdohertyjr

Bikes: 2010 Trek 7.2 FX, 2011 Cannadale Synapse Carbon 6c

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The wife and I will be doing our 1st Tour de Cure in Philadelphia next Sunday. I hope we both have the same outcome as you and your wife! Thanks for the post, put a smile on my wife's face.
Old 05-16-10, 06:08 PM
Neil_B

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
I'm riding my second Tour de Cure this Saturday in Boiling Springs, PA. I agree it's awesome.

BTW, you've lost a LOT of weight. This is you eight months ago:

Old 05-16-10, 06:15 PM
Crazy88s

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mdohertyjr
The wife and I will be doing our 1st Tour de Cure in Philadelphia next Sunday. I hope we both have the same outcome as you and your wife! Thanks for the post, put a smile on my wife's face.
You guys are going to love it. The event here was well organized. I was a little nervous at first riding with so many people but I quickly got over it. So much fun and friendly conversation while riding makes the ride go by very fast.
Old 05-16-10, 06:17 PM
Crazy88s

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by The Historian
I'm riding my second Tour de Cure this Saturday in Boiling Springs, PA. I agree it's awesome.

BTW, you've lost a LOT of weight. This is you eight months ago:

Wow! That was my first 30 mile ride ever and it just about killed me. I've lost about 130 pounds so far. I'm down to 240. That was my old Trek Navigator. I've since upgraded to a nice road bike and a mountain bike. I did about 14 miles of singletrack yesterday. I just really love cycling.
Old 05-16-10, 09:06 PM
fixedgearinker

Bikes: '01 Cannondale CAAD5 3000si, Framed Minnesota2 Fattie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Crazy88s
Wow! That was my first 30 mile ride ever and it just about killed me. I've lost about 130 pounds so far. I'm down to 240. That was my old Trek Navigator. I've since upgraded to a nice road bike and a mountain bike. I did about 14 miles of singletrack yesterday. I just really love cycling.
congrats on the ride and the weight loss - lookin good man. I am doing the Tour De Cure here on June 27, I am opting for the century. Anyone else doing this one (seneca valley/harmony PA) ? hit me up if so and we can get some miles together !
Old 05-16-10, 10:02 PM
funrover 

Bikes: Mostly schwinn... few classics

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Way to go!
Old 05-16-10, 10:18 PM
mtalinm

Bikes: 2009 Trek Soho

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
that's fantastic. i love blowing by the zero-body-fat kids on the downhills ... just like we learned in Pinewood Derby: weight --> faster downhill
Old 05-17-10, 07:31 AM
Crazy88s

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Found another picture which shows off our bikes. My wife rides a Trek WSD and I ride a Specialized Allez Elite.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
m&l..jpg (95.6 KB, 15 views)
Old 05-17-10, 08:01 AM
2Klose

Bikes: 08 Cannondale Comfort4

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nicely done! I am looking forward to my first TdC this weekend as well. I have heard nothing but great things, so I am excited.
Old 05-17-10, 08:07 AM
Tom Stormcrowe
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.

Bikes: Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
I have done TdC for years, and love the ride. I can't do it this year, but may volunteer, if my cardiologist OK's it.

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant
Old 05-17-10, 09:15 AM
russgross

Bikes: Raleigh SC40

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm doing the Indy TdC for the first time next month. 100 miles around the motor speedway! Can't wait!
Old 05-17-10, 03:19 PM
chasmm

Bikes: '85 Rossin Super Record, '88 Specialized Sequoia, '10 Raleigh Cadent FT2, '10 Specialized Roubaix Elite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Congrats on your ride. I'm riding the TdC on Long Island next month. It'll be my first century in over 20 years. I'm Type2 diabetic and this ride is what helped get me back into cycling after so many years away from the bike...

Charles