Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Dirty in 5 minutes: New shoes for the '51 Raleigh

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Dirty in 5 minutes: New shoes for the '51 Raleigh

Old 09-17-18, 07:12 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2412 Post(s)
Liked 4,373 Times in 2,086 Posts
Dirty in 5 minutes: Impractical new shoes for the '51 Raleigh

For those who have been around C&V for longer than any of us should admit, you may remember my ’51 Raleigh Sports “C” Tourist - a build that I pieced together back in 2005-2006 from a New York-sourced frameset off eBay and some bits and bobs from here, there, and forum member @nlerner (who also connected me up with a matching ladies '51 Sports).

Part of that original build included a set of block-tread Duro whitewalls that I convinced a local shop to order, back when F&R Lowrider Co. was importing whitewalls with an endless selection of tread styles. They looked nice a few years ago.

Not anymore.

I exaggerate a bit, of course – they still have life in them and feel very strong from the inside, but the drywall rot doesn’t do them any favors, cosmetically.

Nevertheless, the ’51 is a favorite and I owed it some new shoes. But my mind wasn’t on whitewalls anymore. To satisfy my generally overeager desire to be a grubby little attention hog (hey, at least I admit it ) at the expense of practicality, I settled on throwing some all-crème tires on it.

I’ll probably regret it after wiping the tires 10 times over, but I love the look. Just enough to confuse someone whether it’s a retro C&V-wannabe off the bike shop floor, or the real deal. I’m sure the paint flaking off the chaincase (only thing that isn't from the original frameset; it's also been spraybombed black - it's no longer the original Raleigh enamel, sadly) should seal the answer to that question.

Speaking of ancient history, I’m still running a Dunlop tube in the back. Front is a late ‘60s Raleigh tube (which I forgot to photograph…of course). If anyone has some good spares with full threaded Schrader valves that hold air, let me know. These guys both hold air better than any Made-for-a-Price-Point tubes I’ve ever had.

Granted, the tires are a bit of a anachronism for something as new as the ’51, but the look also appears truer to its roots than the distinctly Americanesque whitewalls. Got my fingers crossed for another 10 years of service…if I can hack how bad they’ll look by then.

It's dark out, so this is the best photos I have of the final job. I’ll snap some better ones tomorrow.

-Kurt

P.S.: I put a post in ISO, but just in case: I’m looking for a really clapped out Raleigh Twenty frame and fork for a decidedly not-period correct or C&V project. Will involve brazing, cutting, and generally sacrilegious not-so-C&V modifications, so I don’t want it to be a nice one by any means. Rusty, dented junk preferred...

Last edited by cudak888; 12-17-19 at 09:16 PM.
Likes For cudak888:
Old 09-17-18, 07:18 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3084 Post(s)
Liked 6,544 Times in 3,757 Posts
Lookin' good Kurt!
Old 09-17-18, 07:22 PM
Cute Boy Horse

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
To be honest they stand out too much.
Old 09-17-18, 07:35 PM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1451 Post(s)
Liked 2,183 Times in 960 Posts
Ride them through some hot tar on a sunny day and they will look, from a distance, like most other tires.

Kurt, looks great. Just add a cream colored Brooks and you'll be all set!

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Old 09-17-18, 07:58 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Originally Posted by cb400bill
Lookin' good Kurt!
Thanks, Bill! Nice to see you around.

Originally Posted by Cute Boy Horse
To be honest they stand out too much.
Kinda like its owner. To each their own

Originally Posted by pastorbobnlnh
Ride them through some hot tar on a sunny day and they will look, from a distance, like most other tires.

Kurt, looks great. Just add a cream colored Brooks and you'll be all set!
I haven't come across hot tar, but I'm sure I must have framed that photo of the '51 in the road just for you: The main triangle circles all of those recycle bins and trash cans that serve as that running gag of ours...

No creme Brooks for me. Not unless such a thing won't stain tan pants, in which case, I like the idea. Just not for this bike though.

That said, I can't tell you how good it is to hear from you. Must catch up on old times someday. Let me know.

-Kurt

Old 09-17-18, 09:56 PM
Lascauxcaveman 

Bikes: A green one, "Ragleigh," or something.

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked 630 Times in 356 Posts
I like them. But then again, I've bought all white and all yellow CSTs for a couple bikes. Only one of them was a fixie.
● 1971 Grandis SL ● 1972 Lambert Grand Prix frankenbike ● 1972 Raleigh Super Course fixie ● 1973 Nishiki Semi-Pro ● 1979 Motobecane Grand Jubile ●1980 Apollo "Legnano" ● 1984 Peugeot Vagabond ● 1985 Shogun Prairie Breaker ● 1986 Merckx Super Corsa ● 1987 Schwinn Tempo ● 1988 Schwinn Voyageur ● 1989 Bottechia Team ADR replica ● 1990 Cannondale ST600 ● 1993 Technium RT600 ● 1996 Kona Lava Dome ●

Old 09-18-18, 01:56 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,747 Times in 937 Posts
Normally. I would say pooey-stinko to something that jumps out at me on a vintage bicycle. However, those white tires add vintage appeal, in my mind, and look just right to me. Well done and nice bike.

Do not ride a tar road! Been there, done that and boy, what a mess to clean up later.
Old 09-18-18, 04:20 AM
BigChief 

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 85 Posts
Lovely bike! Yeah, those Duro whitewalls are anything but durable. I also really miss those Dunlop tubes with the threaded stems and in my experience, they do actually hold air better than modern tubes. I wish I bought a bunch of Dunlop block treads and tubes back when they were available, but who knew? Tires are a compromise by necessity these days. I like the look of the cream tires on this bike. Keeping them on the road is the most important factor. Nice job on the build.
Old 09-18-18, 04:23 AM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1451 Post(s)
Liked 2,183 Times in 960 Posts
Kurt, great to see your post--- and I thought about saying something about the all the trash-bins--- but decided that was old history that most others would not understand nor appreciate.

Yes, we need to catch up and I could really use a winter trip to MB this coming year--- but I don't think it will be possible!

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Old 09-18-18, 05:32 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Originally Posted by Lascauxcaveman
I like them. But then again, I've bought all white and all yellow CSTs for a couple bikes. Only one of them was a fixie.
Interesting you mention white. That was the first thing I saw and the easiest thing to get, but I thought it would be far too harsh for the period look. Took a while to find a seller with these creme tires who wasn't asking an arm and a leg for them.

Originally Posted by randyjawa
Normally. I would say pooey-stinko to something that jumps out at me on a vintage bicycle. However, those white tires add vintage appeal, in my mind, and look just right to me. Well done and nice bike.

Do not ride a tar road! Been there, done that and boy, what a mess to clean up later.
Pretty sure most of Miami is tar-less asphalt. At least, I bloody hope so.

Originally Posted by BigChief
Lovely bike! Yeah, those Duro whitewalls are anything but durable. I also really miss those Dunlop tubes with the threaded stems and in my experience, they do actually hold air better than modern tubes. I wish I bought a bunch of Dunlop block treads and tubes back when they were available, but who knew? Tires are a compromise by necessity these days. I like the look of the cream tires on this bike. Keeping them on the road is the most important factor. Nice job on the build.
Well, they held up for 12 years, so I give them some credit. Can't be any worse than gumwalls from CST or Kenda; all substandard rubber. The ladies' 51 has Goodyear tires on it, and they were fine until last year when the front blew out, and I dare say the rubber on those looked better to the end.

The Dunlop tubes and old rubber are superior. I don't know what the chemical difference is, but if you've ever bought modern automotive vacuum hose (not OEM) from an auto parts store, it also cracks apart in 6 months. Same for the vacuum caps. It's maddening.

Originally Posted by pastorbobnlnh
Kurt, great to see your post--- and I thought about saying something about the all the trash-bins--- but decided that was old history that most others would not understand nor appreciate.

Yes, we need to catch up and I could really use a winter trip to MB this coming year--- but I don't think it will be possible!
Old jokes never die, they just wait for another comedian to steal them. I'm sure that I can reinvigorate that gag tonight

If not this year, next year. Perhaps we can ride the South Dade trail sometime - missed out on a group ride on it last weekend due to some plumbing issues at the house.

-Kurt

Old 09-18-18, 10:15 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7333 Post(s)
Liked 2,430 Times in 1,419 Posts
That's a great bike. I keep a 1962 Rudge Sports at my mother in law's place in Palm Beach. It's a nice bike for Florida. I geared it way down when I was in the hilly part of NJ. I don't need the low gears any more, but it doesn't bother me much, either. I just use 2nd and 3rd gears, because 1st is too low for anything there.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 09-18-18, 12:05 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 278 Post(s)
Quoted: 2192 Post(s)
Liked 4,571 Times in 1,758 Posts
Nice to see you posting again, Kurt. Kinda missed your style. WRT the tires: those natural rubber-colored tires have been the default in my area for all of my youth, so nothing out of the ordinary there.

Old 09-18-18, 05:09 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

This thread is worthless without more pictures. So here are more pictures.

Should I hate myself now or later for using auto exposure for this?

Here are two that only Bob will understand:

Broke them in. #NotAShowqueen

Originally Posted by noglider
That's a great bike. I keep a 1962 Rudge Sports at my mother in law's place in Palm Beach. It's a nice bike for Florida. I geared it way down when I was in the hilly part of NJ. I don't need the low gears any more, but it doesn't bother me much, either. I just use 2nd and 3rd gears, because 1st is too low for anything there.
Shame we can't meet up there for the Twenty pickup

Originally Posted by non-fixie
Nice to see you posting again, Kurt. Kinda missed your style. WRT the tires: those natural rubber-colored tires have been the default in my area for all of my youth, so nothing out of the ordinary there.
Glad to be back.

Hard enough to find 26 x 1-3/8" 590's around here in any color much less creme in this day and age though.
-Kurt

Likes For cudak888:
Old 09-19-18, 03:31 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

The more I look at the bike, the more I like it. However, get rid of the water bottle holder. It does not fit in with the looks of the bike, nor the build quality. Just an opinion.
Old 09-19-18, 05:30 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

The more I look at the bike, the more I like it. However, get rid of the water bottle holder. It does not fit in with the looks of the bike, nor the build quality. Just an opinion.
I don't like it either - especially the fact that it's an aluminum Blackburn from the 1980's for lack of a steel cage (which weren't being reproduced by V-O at the time) - but its the least intrusive solution that allows me to drag a bottle around with ease.

Speaking of mounting stuff that isn't period correct, one of my other complaints is that this bike has zero utility. Wouldn't mind throwing a period-looking pannier set on it, but I can't even find a rack that looks appropriate to the 1940's-1950's period. Not keen on the randonneur look either for this particular bike.

-Kurt

Old 09-19-18, 06:21 AM
randyjawa 

This bar mount chrome steel cage might fit the bill. It was fitted to my 1973 X10 and I have no intention of using it. It is not perfect, cosmetically, but it did clean up reasonably well. Pretty sure that I have a REG one also. I will look when She gets up.

And, as far as a rack goes, there just might be an original later model Raleigh rack at Bicycles for Humanity. I will look next Wednesday, when I go to the city. Can't go today, as today is test the fleet day. Yeehaa! I do, however, have this one hanging on the beam under my lake cottage...
Old 09-19-18, 07:16 AM
bwilli88 
Not lost wanderer.

Bikes: In USA; 73 Raleigh Super Course dingle speed, 72 Raleigh Gran Sport SS, 72 Geoffry Butler, 81 Centurion Pro-Tour, 74 Gugie Grandier Sportier

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 885 Post(s)
Liked 985 Times in 518 Posts
For some full threaded Schreader tubes I might have some.
Originally Posted by cudak888
Speaking of ancient history, I’m still running a Dunlop tube in the back. Front is a late ‘60s Raleigh tube (which I forgot to photograph…of course). If anyone has some good spares with full threaded Schrader valves that hold air, let me know. These guys both hold air better than any Chinesium tube I’ve ever had.

I might be able to bring a few tubes back with me from Cambodia next week. They might be 26" 1.75?
Old 09-19-18, 07:55 AM
BigChief 

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 85 Posts
Here's something that may be of interest to you. An article about reproducing old style woven cable housings. It's down near the bottom of this page. I haven't tried it yet. I was lucky and the housings on my Rudge were still intact. But I am planning a project where it will be necessary for me to give it a try. I'll post my progress here when I do.

Cable Parts « Myrons Mopeds
Old 09-19-18, 09:49 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Originally Posted by bwilli88
For some full threaded Schreader tubes I might have some.

I might be able to bring a few tubes back with me from Cambodia next week. They might be 26" 1.75?
Do let me know, would be interesting. Partial to originals though; as much as I wouldn't mind full-threaded spares, their use would be quite limited if paired with cheap rubber.

26" x 1.75" would be standard MTB stuff; that wouldn't work. "ISO 590" would be the thing to look for.

Originally Posted by BigChief
Here's something that may be of interest to you. An article about reproducing old style woven cable housings. It's down near the bottom of this page. I haven't tried it yet. I was lucky and the housings on my Rudge were still intact. But I am planning a project where it will be necessary for me to give it a try. I'll post my progress here when I do.
Just read the process. What an effort - but what a result too.

Right now, I have period Clarke's (or Clark's, don't remember) replacement brake cables on it, though I had to re-make the rear cable out of a ladies' Sports cable by heating and re-soldering the end after flipping the adjuster barrel. If I recall right, the shifter cable housing is modern Teflon-lined silver housing, but inside it is a gray-lined 1960's Raleigh replacement cable that was cut to length, with a solder-on adjuster barrel added to avoid any clamp-on misery. I'm happy with the balance between look and function for now.

-Kurt

Last edited by cudak888; 09-19-18 at 09:53 PM.
Old 09-20-18, 03:44 AM
bwilli88 
Not lost wanderer.

Bikes: In USA; 73 Raleigh Super Course dingle speed, 72 Raleigh Gran Sport SS, 72 Geoffry Butler, 81 Centurion Pro-Tour, 74 Gugie Grandier Sportier

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 885 Post(s)
Liked 985 Times in 518 Posts
Do let me know, would be interesting. Partial to originals though; as much as I wouldn't mind full-threaded spares, their use would be quite limited if paired with cheap rubber.

26" x 1.75" would be standard MTB stuff; that wouldn't work. "ISO 590" would be the thing to look for.

Kurt
I have 4 in my suitcases. 1 was in my stash and 3 I bought for real cheap.
I will let you know how much to ship when I get back to the States
Old 09-20-18, 10:06 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

You take really good pictures, Kurt.

If you can wait until February, when I believe I'll be in Palm Beach, we could do the handoff there. I could send it by Greyhound. I sent my 3-speed there that way. The Greyhound depot is at the train station.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Old 09-20-18, 03:46 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

This bar mount chrome steel cage might fit the bill. It was fitted to my 1973 X10 and I have no intention of using it. It is not perfect, cosmetically, but it did clean up reasonably well. Pretty sure that I have a REG one also. I will look when She gets up.

And, as far as a rack goes, there just might be an original later model Raleigh rack at Bicycles for Humanity. I will look next Wednesday, when I go to the city. Can't go today, as today is test the fleet day. Yeehaa! I do, however, have this one hanging on the beam under my lake cottage...
Unfortunately, center mounting isn't an option with the headlight.

Later model Raleigh rack? You mean those pressed-steel Superbe types? Not really keen on them, but I would put it on the '80 Sports if I ever actually finish that thing.

Originally Posted by bwilli88
I have 4 in my suitcases. 1 was in my stash and 3 I bought for real cheap.
I will let you know how much to ship when I get back to the States
Sounds good.

You take really good pictures, Kurt.

If you can wait until February, when I believe I'll be in Palm Beach, we could do the handoff there. I could send it by Greyhound. I sent my 3-speed there that way. The Greyhound depot is at the train station.
Either way works. Are you near the Palm Beach Brightline station? Let me know. Otherwise, Greyhound works for me too - it's near the Tri-Rail station here too.

-Kurt

Old 09-20-18, 03:56 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

I don't remember which station it was. And of course, I meant that it's in West Palm Beach. I'm pretty sure Palm Beach doesn't have a train station.

Old 09-20-18, 05:36 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

I don't remember which station it was. And of course, I meant that it's in West Palm Beach. I'm pretty sure Palm Beach doesn't have a train station.
Brightline is brand new, so it probably isn't anywhere near where you remember the Amtrak station.

Still, if you find out what Greyhound wants, let me know. Probably cheaper than the $30 round trip train ticket.

-Kurt

Old 09-22-18, 05:14 AM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2607 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 932 Posts
This thread is worthless without more pictures. So here are more pictures.
Broke them in. #NotAShowqueen

Dig.

Rest of the pix are beautiful as well!

Regarding the rack situation- please forgive my ignorance- but would a Schwinn style rack work on these?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Schwinn-Rea...8AAOSwcoFboSxo

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1940-50s-Sc...ty!53186!US!-1

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.