Notices
Forum Suggestions & User Assistance Have a suggestion for the forums? Need help with the Forums? Post here.

Trolls

Old 04-23-20, 04:23 PM
mjac

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 481 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 75 Posts
Trolls

Since BF does not like the way I handle Trolls that come on my threads, how do you report a Troll that appears on your thread?

Edit: Had to edit post on advice of moderators.

Last edited by mjac; 04-24-20 at 09:46 AM.
Old 04-23-20, 04:44 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
I've had the same problem, with the same trolls. I suspect many others have, too. It is clearly a policy on the part of the forum.

For whatever reason, some of these trolls always get a free pass. If you complain, you get in trouble. It is basically a club or playground run by the bullies, and the intellectual caliber of most discussions suffers as a consequence.

There are however many thoughtful, intelligent, interesting people here, which hopefully some day the powers that be will realize is their primary asset.
Old 04-23-20, 04:55 PM
mjac

Originally Posted by wgscott
I've had the same problem, with the same trolls. I suspect many others have, too. It is clearly a policy on the part of the forum.

For whatever reason, some of these trolls always get a free pass. If you complain, you get in trouble. It is basically a club or playground run by the bullies, and the intellectual caliber of most discussions suffers as a consequence.

There are however many thoughtful, intelligent, interesting people here, which hopefully some day the powers that be will realize is their primary asset.
Very well said, you addressed every single one of my concerns. Would others like to chime in here?

Last edited by mjac; 04-23-20 at 05:19 PM.
Old 04-23-20, 04:57 PM
ahsposo 
Artificial Member

Bikes: Retrospec Judd, Dahon Boardwalk, Specialized Langster

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 6731 Post(s)
Liked 5,443 Times in 3,200 Posts
One can only imagine how these creatures are "handled". Like the wild, vicious animals they are one hopes.

Tasers? Stun guns? Bear traps?
Old 04-23-20, 05:24 PM
mjac

Originally Posted by ahsposo
One can only imagine how these creatures are "handled". Like the wild, vicious animals they are one hopes.

Tasers? Stun guns? Bear traps?
BF ties your hands and they do nothing, leaving the Trolls to operate of their own free will. Very frustrating. Until now.
Old 04-23-20, 05:53 PM
mirfi

Bikes: Vilano Urbana, DownTube FS9, Montaque paratrooper, Nano mini-velo, Motobecane CX, Raleigh 20, MIFA folder, ROG Pony, Iverson Grand Touring folder, Exclusiv German folder

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked 191 Times in 119 Posts
I just figured the trolls were the moderators. Oops, I'm gonna get censored. But I used the sarcasm font!!!!
Old 04-23-20, 06:24 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26250 Post(s)
Liked 10,232 Times in 7,101 Posts
Originally Posted by mjac
Very well said, you addressed every single one of my concerns. Would others like to chime in here?
Likes For 3alarmer:
Old 04-23-20, 08:17 PM
mjac

Originally Posted by mirfi
I just figured the trolls were the moderators. Oops, I'm gonna get censored. But I used the sarcasm font!!!!
You asking for it.
Old 04-23-20, 08:20 PM
mjac

Originally Posted by 3alarmer
Discretion is the better part of Valor...I wish I would have learned that.
Old 04-24-20, 07:16 AM
ahsposo 
Artificial Member

Bikes: Retrospec Judd, Dahon Boardwalk, Specialized Langster

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 6731 Post(s)
Liked 5,443 Times in 3,200 Posts
Before this spins out of control, may I remind everyone that the mods are doing their jobs as a volunteer service for us. You owe them respect and gratitude.

And there is an "Ignore" feature in your user controls. It works like magic.
Old 04-24-20, 08:37 AM
mjac

Before this spins out of control, may I remind everyone that the mods are doing their jobs as a volunteer service for us. You owe them respect and gratitude.

And the mods told me to report them to the mods, not handle it myself and add to the discord. So that is what I did. I just wanted to know is there an official way to do it or just contact a specific moderator. We will see what happens.
Old 04-24-20, 09:25 AM
IBJoel
Administrator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked 224 Times in 146 Posts

Click this button on any post and you can send a report to the mods. It will be the fastest, easiest way for them to handle issues. If you're using the mobile skin, it will look a little different, but still be an exclamation point button.
Old 04-24-20, 09:47 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11894 Post(s)
Liked 6,491 Times in 3,417 Posts
And the mods told me to report them to the mods, not handle it myself and add to the discord. So that is what I did. I just wanted to know is there an official way to do it or just contact a specific moderator. We will see what happens.
Just push the red button and file your complaint, we'll get to it within 24 hours. We have private lives too, so please be patient.

Thank you, kind sir!
Old 04-24-20, 09:53 AM
mjac

Originally Posted by IBJoel

Click this button on any post and you can send a report to the mods. It will be the fastest, easiest way for them to handle issues. If you're using the mobile skin, it will look a little different, but still be an exclamation point button.
Good Graphics.

You generally would prefer this to reporting to a specific moderator? If you do, will something be done about these people trolling your threads constantly? I do not like asking people to take care of my business.
Old 04-24-20, 10:01 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3059 Post(s)
Liked 6,379 Times in 3,692 Posts
Good Graphics.

You generally would prefer this to reporting to a specific moderator? If you do, will something be done about these people trolling your threads constantly? I do not like asking people to take care of my business.
Your report will go into a Mods only forum for the Mod Staff to discuss and make a joint decision on how to proceed.
Old 04-24-20, 10:13 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11894 Post(s)
Liked 6,491 Times in 3,417 Posts
Except that you've been advised that is not the best course of action. Don't let trolls nudge you off a cliff.
Originally Posted by BillyD
Just push the red button and file your complaint, we'll get to it within 24 hours. We have private lives too, so be patient.
Old 04-24-20, 10:21 AM
IBJoel
Administrator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked 224 Times in 146 Posts
Good Graphics.

Now who's the troll? I'm working from home and wanted to give you a quick answer, so Snip & Sketch it was.

But yes. Basically, using the report post button will create a ticket that all moderators will see. The moderator of that particular forum will have priority to take action, but a senior mod can also handle it. This also let mods discuss what action should be taken in the case of an egregious rule-breaking or a post that's more open to interpretation (which is not super common, but comes up from time to time).
Old 04-24-20, 10:34 AM
mjac

Just push the red button and file your complaint, we'll get to it within 24 hours. We have private lives too, so please be patient.

Thank you, kind sir!

Originally Posted by cb400bill
Your report will go into a Mods only forum for the Mod Staff to discuss and make a joint decision on how to proceed.
I want to put this out publicly and will also communicate it to the specific moderator I am dealing with if he gets back to me. This is all well and good. But it is common knowledge that there are a handful of members on BF that are out of control that see fit to Troll many, many if not just about all threads on BF and nothing has been done about it. See the post by the fella WgScott in the second post. Everyone says to use the ignore feature, but there posts still appear in your threads insulting you and worse, insulting other members who have posted on thread. You just don't see it. But the damage is still done. If out of all of this a policy could be developed that a member can notify BF that they do not want certain members on their threads, and these certain members are notified not to go on those threads or they will be sanctioned then this would be worthwhile.If the members who are trolling insist going on these threads anyway, the thread starter merely reports them and the administration takes care of them. Not a lot of blocking technology needed. I do not want so and so on my threads, he is notified, he appears anyway, you report him (no matter what the post is) and he is sanctioned. It will curtail this activity.
Old 04-24-20, 10:45 AM
mjac

Now who's the troll? I'm working from home and wanted to give you a quick answer, so Snip & Sketch it was.

But yes. Basically, using the report post button will create a ticket that all moderators will see. The moderator of that particular forum will have priority to take action, but a senior mod can also handle it. This also let mods discuss what action should be taken in the case of an egregious rule-breaking or a post that's more open to interpretation (which is not super common, but comes up from time to time).
I apologize. I was joking. It is better then I could do. But thanks for the quick, detailed response, I appreciate it. But these Trolls are out of control, they are affecting BF and something has to be done about it. I got in trouble trying to do something about it. So it is up to ya'll. See my post on this upstream with the multi quotes.
Likes For mjac:
Old 04-24-20, 12:35 PM
mjac

You could have drawn a straight line.
Likes For mjac:
Old 04-24-20, 01:03 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 924 Times in 610 Posts
You generally would prefer this to reporting to a specific moderator?
Yes, A specific moderator might be on vacation, busy, or otherwise not available for a period of time.
Using the "Report" button allows the Mod team to look at all issues needing attention.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Likes For Homebrew01:
Old 04-24-20, 01:41 PM
mjac

Originally Posted by Homebrew01
Yes, A specific moderator might be on vacation, busy, or otherwise not available for a period of time.
Using the "Report" button allows the Mod team to look at all issues needing attention.
That is fine, but there has already been one member posting that you report these people and nothing happens. That is my only concern. Because it has certainly gone on unabated up until now.
Old 04-24-20, 02:08 PM
mjac

Except that you've been advised that is not the best course of action. Don't let trolls nudge you off a cliff.
At least you recognize them as Trolls. You don't have to go any further then WikiPedia. Read the definition, it describes these people to a T.
Old 04-24-20, 03:07 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 924 Times in 610 Posts
That is fine, but there has already been one member posting that you report these people and nothing happens. That is my only concern. Because it has certainly gone on unabated up until now.
Every report gets attention. As for "Nothing happens".... Mods discuss the report, and if action is warranted, it happens, although it may not be obvious to those not directly involved.
It may range from a simple PM to a member, to permanent ban, and various options in between.

Reporting posts is the best way for Mods to be made aware of possible problems.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 04-24-20, 06:26 PM
mjac

Originally Posted by Homebrew01
Every report gets attention. As for "Nothing happens".... Mods discuss the report, and if action is warranted, it happens, although it may not be obvious to those not directly involved.
It may range from a simple PM to a member, to permanent ban, and various options in between.

Reporting posts is the best way for Mods to be made aware of possible problems.
Let me ask you a simple question since it appears you may be a senior moderator. If I notify you I do not want a particular person on any of my threads, will you notify that person not to go on those threads and if he does he will be sanctioned?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.