Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

10 speed Campy Chain Alternatives & Questions

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-20, 03:35 PM
tNuvolari

Bikes: 1986 Torpado Beta, 2006 Wilier Triestina Izoard

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 13 Posts

I'm setting up a Campy 10 speed on my 80's bike and I need a new chain. Of course, I originally was looking at Campagnolo chains but then I read that it needs a specific chain breaking tool and a new chain pin every time the chain is separated which seems a bit excessive and costly. So, first of all, am I understanding this correctly that I need an expensive Campy tool and new pins every time?

After searching for alternative brands, I found that KMC chains are usually reviewed positively and they are well priced. What other brands should I consider? I think $40 is the area I'd like to stay--KMC starts at $25 and then goes to slightly above $40 for light and super light versions. Also, KMC chains come with a (slightly) reusable master link which is highly regarded also.

Anything further I should be aware of?

Thanks.
Old 05-19-20, 03:49 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1086 Post(s)
Liked 858 Times in 487 Posts
10 speed Chorus chain with KMC quick link. Works perfectly and is quieter than Shimano on the same bike.
Old 05-19-20, 03:55 PM
CyclingFool95 

Bikes: 1987 Pinarello Montello, 1996 Litespeed Classic, 1996 Colnago Master Light, 1997 Litespeed Ultimate, 2006 Opera Leonardo FP, 2006 Pinarello Paris FP, 1984 Pinarello Record, 89-ish Cornelo Profilo

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 73 Posts
Campy chain and quick link (your choice of manufacturer) is my preference. I'm going the same route with 80s Pinarello and 10 speed Chorus but I'm planning on using an 11 speed Chorus chain since I have several spares and no 10 speed chains. It's worth pointing out that all chains, of any speed, have the same inner dimensions. The small outer difference between 10 and 11 should pose no issues.
Old 05-19-20, 06:16 PM
tNuvolari

Bikes: 1986 Torpado Beta, 2006 Wilier Triestina Izoard

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by rosefarts
10 speed Chorus chain with KMC quick link. Works perfectly and is quieter than Shimano on the same bike.
Ah, I didn't know that was possible....good to know.

Originally Posted by CyclingFool95
Campy chain and quick link (your choice of manufacturer) is my preference. I'm going the same route with 80s Pinarello and 10 speed Chorus but I'm planning on using an 11 speed Chorus chain since I have several spares and no 10 speed chains. It's worth pointing out that all chains, of any speed, have the same inner dimensions. The small outer difference between 10 and 11 should pose no issues.
And was also wondering about 11 speed chains as they are easier to find and often cheaper than the 10 speeds.

Thanks for the info. So are you saying the Campy chains work better than KMC?
Old 05-19-20, 06:35 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
KMC chains have been great for me.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 05-19-20, 06:39 PM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by tNuvolari
I'm setting up a Campy 10 speed on my 80's bike and I need a new chain. Of course, I originally was looking at Campagnolo chains but then I read that it needs a specific chain breaking tool and a new chain pin every time the chain is separated which seems a bit excessive and costly. So, first of all, am I understanding this correctly that I need an expensive Campy tool and new pins every time?
Use a C10 chain with a KMC 10CR missing link. The inner links are different widths so you can't use the standard SRAM/SHIMANO KMC.

I usually buy a card of 6 from Amazon for $12-$18 whenever I run out, but there was a sale where I picked up three cards for $6 total which will get me through the next 80,000 miles.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004DM22UW

After searching for alternative brands, I found that KMC chains are usually reviewed positively and they are well priced. What other brands should I consider? I think $40 is the area I'd like to stay--KMC starts at $25 and then goes to slightly above $40 for light and super light versions. Also, KMC chains come with a (slightly) reusable master link which is highly regarded also.
Use the Campagnolo. The pins and inner plates are made from harder metal so most get replaced due to degraded shifting between rings from increased lateral flexibility before they elongate too much.

I usually replace my chains around 4500 miles at 1/32" of elongation, and have over 25,000 miles on my current cassette.

Anything further I should be aware of?
Cost per mile.

Last edited by Drew Eckhardt; 05-19-20 at 10:24 PM.
Old 05-19-20, 07:10 PM
cpach

Bikes: Too many. Giant Trance X 29, Surly Midnight Special get the most time.

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 236 Posts
Campy with a KMC Campagnolo specific quick link would be my choice also. Aside from that KMC X10 is fine.