Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Official Trek DS owners thread

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Official Trek DS owners thread

Old 05-25-20, 06:00 PM
hls811

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 10 Posts
I have a 2019 Dual Sport 3, I'm just wondering how much off-road use these can take. A friend of mine invited me to go along on a mountain bike ride with him.. According to him its not technical, mostly a dirt trail and some small hills.. He's ridden the trail on a 15 year old Specialized Rockhopper (regular fork, not suspension). He has wider tires though compared to my DS.. I"m just wondering how much is too much for the Dual Sport to handle.
Old 05-25-20, 06:04 PM
shed

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by hls811
I have a 2019 Dual Sport 3, I'm just wondering how much off-road use these can take. A friend of mine invited me to go along on a mountain bike ride with him.. According to him its not technical, mostly a dirt trail and some small hills.. He's ridden the trail on a 15 year old Specialized Rockhopper (regular fork, not suspension). He has wider tires though compared to my DS.. I"m just wondering how much is too much for the Dual Sport to handle.
I take my DS3 on fire trails and dirt trails all the time, and even the odd single track. I don't think it's one of those bikes you do some big technical root where you're flying round corners and jumping, but it seems like it's not that. Should be fine, and I doubt anything terrible will happen though YMMV (literally). They do market it as a hybrid!!!
Likes For shed:
Old 05-25-20, 06:08 PM
hls811

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by shed
I take my DS3 on fire trails and dirt trails all the time, and even the odd single track. I don't think it's one of those bikes you do some big technical root where you're flying round corners and jumping, but it seems like it's not that. Should be fine, and I doubt anything terrible will happen though YMMV (literally). They do market it as a hybrid!!!
Thanks! I was thinking it could handle it, glad to hear you've put it through the paces!
Old 05-26-20, 12:31 AM
Cajarines

Bikes: Trek dual sport 3 2018

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 8 Posts
I've Dual Sport 2018, and to make routes on roads, some trail, even some descent (obviously nothing aggressive or technical), is more than enough. Don't worry.
Old 05-26-20, 04:45 AM
Gangplank
Back-to-the-Bike

Bikes: Trek Dual Sport

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The DS is basically a mountain bike frame with skinny tires and a hybrid fork. The only real issue you might have are traction and bottoming out the fork. For traction you can put wider and more off-road oriented tires on the wheels. Different years of the DS have different width tires. My 2020 DS 1 can take tires as narrow as 700 x 35 (i.e same as 29” x 1.4”) up to 700 x 45 (29” x 2.0” mtb) or even wider tires without fenders on.

There are quite a few options on tires from Continental or Schwabble.

Last edited by Gangplank; 06-02-20 at 04:25 AM.
Old 05-26-20, 08:55 PM
DS4TireDestroyr

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tire upgrade for road commute and curb jumps?

I have an 2018 DS4 with Bontrager affinity TLR wheels, andBontrager LT2 Comp 700c x 38 tires
I absolutely love the bike, and lately with more use I have a tront tire problem.
Any insight on the - Most durable tubeless tire for a replacement? and longest before pressure loss? - in a 700c x 38 or 40 or 42?
.And are all options compatible with the existing wheel?

Bottom line is I want something that holds air for an extremely long time (or as good as it gets), and puts up with my daily commute abuse. (High speed incline hits and curb jumps, walking baths occasional light gravel and light park terrain).
I accept any trade off for weight and speed is very important but I will go a little wide, and I think that may help.

I appreciate any suggestions that are known good, please keep in mind this is my daily transportation to work and a reliability is key.

Thanks!

Background: Front tire has had a slow leak, I have to pump it up every day before heading to work. All the service centers around me are closed with curb side only and are so backed up they are not taking any new appointments right now. Now the leak has gotten so bad in a few hours it is flat if even. I'm afraid soon I won't get through a ride. I ordered some Muc-Off No Puncture Hassle Tubeless Sealant in a pouch and hopefully that gets me through until I get a new tire.

I read some very old threads about Maxxis sidewalls being thicker and more durable on the Exo trim tubeless tires.
I was thinking to go with them, I read they also have a new tire that does not require sealant.
The more fool proof the installation the better I'm working with limited tools and experience.
There are so many new tubeless tires out now, I'm not sure which are the best for my application and are most durable I think at one time Continental had leakage issues but that might be better now on the 5000's that came out last year? Thanks for any tips..
Here is one example I was thinking to go with:
Maxxis Rambler Tire: 700 x 40mm, Folding, 120tpi Casing, Dual Compound, EXO Protection, Tubeless Ready, Black

Last edited by DS4TireDestroyr; 05-26-20 at 09:00 PM.
Old 05-27-20, 06:13 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 758 Times in 567 Posts
Originally Posted by DS4TireDestroyr
Any insight on the - Most durable tubeless tire for a replacement?
Is tubeless a requirement? You also said you have limited tools and equipment, and foolproof is better.

I'm thinking you'll be way more than covered, from a reliability standpoint, with a set of traditional tubed Schwalbe Marathon Plus tires. Anything in Schwalbe's line that says "Plus" has even more puncture protection than the already generally high level across their line. Schwalbe markets it as a "flatless" tire and, while I'm sure it's possible to puncture it, it seems the tire is a very durable tire. You can also add Slime to a traditional tube to get some of the same self-sealing attributes of a tubeless setup without having to deal with a tubeless tire.

There may be tubeless tires that will meet your needs as a commuter, but your situation is a pretty strong match for the Marathon line of tires.
Old 05-27-20, 06:31 AM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 1,000 Times in 488 Posts
I have an 2018 DS4 with Bontrager affinity TLR wheels, andBontrager LT2 Comp 700c x 38 tires
I absolutely love the bike, and lately with more use I have a tront tire problem.
Any insight on the - Most durable tubeless tire for a replacement? and longest before pressure loss? - in a 700c x 38 or 40 or 42?
.And are all options compatible with the existing wheel?

Bottom line is I want something that holds air for an extremely long time (or as good as it gets), and puts up with my daily commute abuse. (High speed incline hits and curb jumps, walking baths occasional light gravel and light park terrain).
I accept any trade off for weight and speed is very important but I will go a little wide, and I think that may help.

I appreciate any suggestions that are known good, please keep in mind this is my daily transportation to work and a reliability is key.

Thanks!

Background: Front tire has had a slow leak, I have to pump it up every day before heading to work. All the service centers around me are closed with curb side only and are so backed up they are not taking any new appointments right now. Now the leak has gotten so bad in a few hours it is flat if even. I'm afraid soon I won't get through a ride. I ordered some Muc-Off No Puncture Hassle Tubeless Sealant in a pouch and hopefully that gets me through until I get a new tire.
All tubeless tires leak a bit over time; but if it is deflating completely in one day, it could be that it needs more sealant. Be aware that mixing sealants is not advisable.

For street/light mixed use, I'd recommend a smoother tread; file patterns are great for mixed use.

Personally, I've used tubeless since 06, and for my grab-and-go bikes I prefer tubed for its low down time due to ease of maintenance.
Old 05-28-20, 02:15 AM
Cajarines

Originally Posted by The Snowman
Have a 2018 DS3 and it’s time to change brake pads. Anyone know the part numbers of a) the stock pads, b) alternatives, c) recommendations.

My wife’s 2018 Neko 2 is also coming close, so part numbers and suggestions for her bike are also appreciated.

I am also interested in this topic!
Old 05-28-20, 07:26 AM
DS4TireDestroyr

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the insight;
After researching this problem I realize only now I should have been putting some kind of teflon sealer inside the tire periodically all this time, 18 months later never had a problem with the rear but riding much more in the last 8-10 weeks (about 65-75 miles a Week).
I'm guessing I have a small puncture in the front sidewalls.
I also notice the nut at the base of the presta valve on the front tire comes loose on its own. If it was really loose enough to leak I doubt it would hold air for 6-7hrs like it does.
After I tighten the nut by hand but comes loose again.
I ordered some sealant, and gorilla tape, and replacement valve stem with removable cores and injection tool, plastic tire shiv etc.
I will put the leak sealer fluid in and start with that.
I would rather not add a ton of weight and rotating mass with a tubed tire, but maybe they are lighter than I'm thinking.
I think I will work towards having a spare wheel and tire that is tubed with an extra disk already on it, so I can hot swap it and take my time addressing a tubeless problem.when they arise. In the end I think it would be better to have the tubed tire on the rear and two tubeless setups in the front that are slightly wider for impacts and cornering but plenty of time for that down the road.
Overall absolutely love the bike and at my weight (210 lbs) and speed and impacts on curbs the bike overall seems very durable and amazing how fast I can get going... almost as fast as local traffic on some light down hills!
Old 05-28-20, 12:35 PM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 1,000 Times in 488 Posts
I would rather not add a ton of weight and rotating mass with a tubed tire!
So pick a lightweight tire and tube.

Tubeless rims and tires can weigh more due to more material being required, and the goop is not weightless.
Old 05-31-20, 11:17 PM
Nicktrek8.4

Bikes: Trek DS 8.4

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I currently use a set of continental race kings 29x2.0 with tubes. They are a bit noisy on the road but don’t seem to drag that bad. Just done a ride over 100km without any issues. I don’t expect them to last to long on the road tho so am looking at maybe Schwalbe marathon GT tours as they go up to 28x2.0 and will handle most terrains (expect wet mud) well. Also interested to see if the marathon e plug 28x2.15 will fit. Anyone tried this?

Old 06-01-20, 02:34 PM
DS4TireDestroyr

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Nicktrek8.4
I currently use a set of continental race kings 29x2.0 with tubes. They are a bit noisy on the road but don’t seem to drag that bad. Just done a ride over 100km without any issues. I don’t expect them to last to long on the road tho so am looking at maybe Schwalbe marathon GT tours as they go up to 28x2.0 and will handle most terrains (expect wet mud) well. Also interested to see if the marathon e plug 28x2.15 will fit. Anyone tried this?
Nice! love the fenders also...
I'll have to look into those Schwalbe marathon GT tours..
Old 06-02-20, 09:54 AM
The Snowman

Bikes: 2017 Trek DS3

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Cajarines
I am also interested in this topic!
Since no one answered, I did searching. I purchased a set of Shimano B01S pads that came with pad springs and cotter pins. The pad swap took less than 20 minutes.
Old 06-02-20, 10:12 AM
Gangplank
Back-to-the-Bike

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Nick,
I’m wondering the same thing. It depends on the actual width of the tire.

I saw in another post you upgraded your shock to the RockShox 30 w/ 100 mm travel. Why do you feel it’s over the top now? I’m trying to decide between the 30 gold w/ 80mm travel and the Paragon gold w/ 65mm.

Also which wheels did you get and how do you like them?

Finally are those the m530 pedals or m8120?
Old 06-02-20, 10:22 AM
Cajarines

Originally Posted by The Snowman
Since no one answered, I did searching. I purchased a set of Shimano B01S pads that came with pad springs and cotter pins. The pad swap took less than 20 minutes.
Thank you very much, you will tell us how they work. I have read that they are organic brake pads, what difference is there with those that are not oragic?
Old 06-02-20, 01:18 PM
Nicktrek8.4

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Gangplank
Nick,
I saw in another post you upgraded your shock to the RockShox 30 w/ 100 mm travel. Why do you feel it’s over the top now? I’m trying to decide between the 30 gold w/ 80mm travel and the Paragon gold w/ 65mm.

Also which wheels did you get and how do you like them?

Finally are those the m530 pedals or m8120?
Im still playing around with the setup to be honest, I’m getting there. The forks are great! They allow me to go around with my full sus buddies at the local trails as well as around town. The issues I’ve encountered trying to use these forks on a hybrid is the lack of mounts. Being no mount for a mudguard I’ve had to glue a thread insert into the bridge for the bolt (haven’t put a bolt in yet, glued still drying. Cable tied up to now). I’ve also just ordered a xt Dynamo hub, being that the paragon has a cover for the wiring I do feel a little left out lol. I have been tempted to swap for a paragon but they are hard to get hold of. I dont know if the neat wiring will be worth the sacrifice of the 100mm travel. I’m hoping I can do a neat enough job on the wiring and the bolt holds.

my pedals are xt m785 and really like them!

ive got xt hubs mounted on the original Bontrager rims currently but Probably am swapping out for DT Swiss tk540d. Trying to get the bike to a position where I’m comfortable to take it for a long bike packing trip!
Old 06-03-20, 02:32 PM
The Snowman

Bikes: 2017 Trek DS3

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Cajarines
Thank you very much, you will tell us how they work. I have read that they are organic brake pads, what difference is there with those that are not oragic?
Here is a good article on the difference of organic and sintered brake pads: https://www.worldwidecyclery.com/blo...lly%20quieter.

As for performance, I haven't noticed a difference in the pads that came with DS3 and the pads that I purchased.
Likes For The Snowman:
Old 06-03-20, 04:22 PM
zurcenegue

Bikes: 2017 Trek DS 4, 2019 Trek DS4

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Backrack on my DS4

Hello
I just installed a Back Rack from Bontrager to my 2019 DS4.

Old 06-04-20, 09:57 PM
Gangplank
Back-to-the-Bike

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Im still playing around with the setup to be honest, I’m getting there. The forks are great! They allow me to go around with my full sus buddies at the local trails as well as around town. The issues I’ve encountered trying to use these forks on a hybrid is the lack of mounts. Being no mount for a mudguard I’ve had to glue a thread insert into the bridge for the bolt (haven’t put a bolt in yet, glued still drying. Cable tied up to now). I’ve also just ordered a xt Dynamo hub, being that the paragon has a cover for the wiring I do feel a little left out lol. I have been tempted to swap for a paragon but they are hard to get hold of. I dont know if the neat wiring will be worth the sacrifice of the 100mm travel. I’m hoping I can do a neat enough job on the wiring and the bolt holds.

my pedals are xt m785 and really like them!

ive got xt hubs mounted on the original Bontrager rims currently but Probably am swapping out for DT Swiss tk540d. Trying to get the bike to a position where I’m comfortable to take it for a long bike packing trip!
interesting. I was trying to decide between the RS 30 Gold 80mm & the Paragon Gold 65mm. The mud guard isn’t important to me but guides for cables would be. I suppose I could just zip tie them where I want them.

I got my seat finally. Planning to test it out this weekend. Shopping for pedals & shoes next.
Old 06-04-20, 10:50 PM
Nicktrek8.4

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Gangplank
interesting. I was trying to decide between the RS 30 Gold 80mm & the Paragon Gold 65mm. The mud guard isn’t important to me but guides for cables would be. I suppose I could just zip tie them where I want them.

I got my seat finally. Planning to test it out this weekend. Shopping for pedals & shoes next.
which seat did you go for? I got a ergon st core but think I need to change it, had it a while and still can’t manage more than a couple of hours before I start to get uncomfortable. What are you planning to do with the bike? You installing a dynamo to? If so what setup are you going with?
Old 06-04-20, 10:53 PM
Nicktrek8.4

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by zurcenegue
Hello
I just installed a Back Rack from Bontrager to my 2019 DS4.

ive just brought this too but when I went to pick it up they got the wrong one so having to what till Monday now. Do you plan on getting the MIK truck bag?
Old 06-04-20, 11:11 PM
zurcenegue

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
ive just brought this too but when I went to pick it up they got the wrong one so having to what till Monday now. Do you plan on getting the MIK truck bag?
Yes, that is part of my plan to have an integrated backrack system.
Old 06-05-20, 01:06 AM
Nicktrek8.4

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by zurcenegue
Yes, that is part of my plan to have an integrated backrack system.
if you could get some pictures of it on the bike and of inside it that would be great! I can’t find anything of it’s interior online, not even on the bontrager website
Old 06-05-20, 08:31 AM
zurcenegue

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thumbs up

if you could get some pictures of it on the bike and of inside it that would be great! I can’t find anything of it’s interior online, not even on the bontrager website
Yes, I will .

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.