Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Diamondback Century 3

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Diamondback Century 3

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-20, 10:37 AM
ChargersSB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Diamondback Century 3

I am looking to get an endurance bike as my first real road bike. I saw a Diamondback Century 3, new, for around $989. It has Shimano 105 5800 groupset, mechanical disc brakes, carbon fork etc. Is that a decent deal on a new endurance bike with that groupset? I have been checking Craigslist, Ebay, all the sales etc. and can't really find anything else in that price range with 105 groupset, disc brakes (at least not in my size).
Old 05-27-20, 11:43 AM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
Great price in these days of bike scarcity. Are you getting it directly from Diamondback? I ask because they only have one size left in stock, and you really need to make sure it fits you because no amount of savings on an illfitting bike is a good deal.
Old 05-27-20, 03:10 PM
ChargersSB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That is the size I need. My current single speed cheap bike is that size, so it is almost a perfect scenario. I just wasn't sure if that was a good deal right now.
Old 05-27-20, 04:26 PM
smashndash

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 247 Posts
On paper, it seems great. The mechanical disc brakes were my only concern, but it seems like they’re the TRP Spyre, which are about as good as those get. I’d consider upgrading to some compressionless brake housing if they feel a bit too squishy.

Also if the FD is 5800 and not 5801/R7000, I’d consider that (small) upgrade as well. It was a significant design change.
Old 05-27-20, 04:31 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
Right now it's hard to find new/NOS bikes at that price and especially at the 105 level because everyone is buying up inventory. If you could time travel back 2-3 years ago, Diamondback put the Century 3 on sale for $800, but I've not seen that price since. Unless you have other specific needs in mind for a road bike, I think it's a good buy.​​
Old 05-28-20, 10:09 AM
ChargersSB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for all the input. I ended up getting it. Super excited! I have been searching for months and have not found anything until this popped up.
Old 05-30-20, 12:18 PM
FujiQG7

Bikes: 2021 Ridley Helium SLX Disc, 2018 Diamondback Century 6C, 2014 Fuji Roubaix 1.3

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 15 Posts
I think you'll enjoy it. Diamondback is low key decent. I have the Century 6C and love it. Of course things could be upgraded but overall a great bike.
Old 05-30-20, 02:46 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3660 Post(s)
Liked 5,408 Times in 2,747 Posts
FWIW, I had one of the Raleigh cousins with the TRP Spyres. I found them to be nice brakes and easy to maintain. The bike came with compressionless brake housing.
Old 05-30-20, 02:59 PM
OUGrad05

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts
Those are good value for money and for someone just getting into it. Congrats.