Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Cooking and Eating in the rain

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Cooking and Eating in the rain

Old 04-13-19, 09:42 AM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
Hopefully that last one was in jest

I eat healthy food but don't politicize or demonize sources based on junk science fads. To me it is either for enjoyment or fuel; on the bike usually the latter. I eat a lot of Clif bars on the road...
Old 04-23-19, 10:11 AM
tmac100

Bikes: More bicycles than I can ride at one time: 2 custom made tourers, a Brompton 6-speed, and an Indian-made roadster.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by str
we do real beans, not some bag or can beans. easy
At your home and in your kitchen - I understand. However bicycle touring and soaking beans and THEN wasting a LOT of fuel to cook them - well, I frankly do NOT understand that.

OTOH, if you are riding/touring in a "Chuckwagon" and making a campfire when you have stopped to camp a few hours before dinner, then cooking the beans in a cast iron "Dutch oven" - well, I understand that too ...
Old 04-23-19, 10:17 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
A nice lakeside county park with shelters built over BBQ cooking area, here, is unfortunately Day Use Only..

Is that common where you are, or went?
Old 04-23-19, 02:52 PM
zacharyhoyt

Bikes: 1998 Trek 520

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I travel in the Adirondack region on my annual weeklong trip, and so far have not had bear problems. I never cook, I just eat cold foods unless I make a fire if I am camping in an official campsite where there's a fire ring, and then I don't do anything more than toast bagels and melt cheese over the fire. I like to cook when I'm at home and do a fair amount, but when I'm camping I'd rather spend my time looking at the scenery than trying to cook and wash dishes in challenging circumstances. When it rains I eat in my tent, if I'm camping, or under my overturned canoe if I'm away from camp. If I'm on the road I look for a place, it's not usually too far to get to a town where I can find an overhang on some building to get under for a few minutes to eat.
Zach
Old 04-28-19, 09:22 PM
tmac100

Bikes: More bicycles than I can ride at one time: 2 custom made tourers, a Brompton 6-speed, and an Indian-made roadster.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
My touring in outback Australia necessitates shortcuts. I seldom use wood as it is hard to find in places and my SVEA- based SIGG touring stove set works well. Usually easy to cook foods as white gas/naptha goes a long way. I bring raw eggs and they last a week or so - until eaten in a meal. Oatmeal is good with powdered milk and nuts/raisins.

If I go past a roadhouse then I stop in for a cooked meal, and a beer and move on to a wild camp.
Sometimes grocery food sources are a week apart, so I have to use the KISS approach when prepping meals.