Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Am I the dinosaur?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Am I the dinosaur?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-20, 05:12 AM
Germanrazor

Bikes: Trek Madone

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 54 Posts
Am I the dinosaur?

Okay.....call me old and out of touch. I would probably agree to a point. But when I look at new bikes online the push seems to be either pure road bikes migrating to disc brakes (hydraulic or mechanical) as the almost only option. I still love my caliper brakes due to simple simplicity.

So the dinosaur I seem to be, do you feel the eventual path is to certainly extinct the caliper concept?
Likes For Germanrazor:
Old 05-14-20, 05:53 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
It's all about what sells and disc brakes are what the average rider wants. Manufacturing a rim and disc brake version might not be economically viable.

But there will always be small bespoke builders that will offer rim brakes, but your choices will be limited.

BTW.. .do you have really short arms?
Likes For GlennR:
Old 05-14-20, 06:10 AM
tobey

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts
I will take safety over the simplicity of caliper brakes anytime. I switched to disc brakes a couple of years ago and the improvement in braking especially in wet hilly conditions has just reinforced that decision. To me besides cost its a no brainer.
Likes For tobey:
Old 05-14-20, 06:47 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,280 Times in 740 Posts
Rim brakes are sort of like manual transmissions in cars. It will get harder to find them. They will exist but discs will account for 90-95% of bikes. I have 3 road bikes and 1 CX bike. The CX has discs and IMO they are just better. But, rim brakes are no big issue for me. As for cars....you couldn't sell me an auto tranny. Go figure. But, that's a different story.
Likes For bruce19:
Old 05-14-20, 06:58 AM
sced
South Carolina Ed

Bikes: Holdsworth custom, Macario Pro, Ciocc San Cristobal, Viner Nemo, Cyfac Le Mythique, Giant TCR, Tommasso Mondial, Cyfac Etoile

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 138 Posts
No doubt discs have their place, but living in South Carolina where the year-round weather is favorable to cyclists, the technical argument for discs is weak. Bicycles are inherently simple machines and what drives new waves of "cycling improvements" is the consumptive, herding nature of humans.
Old 05-14-20, 07:11 AM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 444 Post(s)
Liked 844 Times in 408 Posts
I don't feel 'underserved' by the calipers on my bikes. they're all very good groupset components and give me plenty of 'negative horsepower' ... but if I were a bike maker, I'd simply ask "what sells at best intersection of quallity/value/margin" ?
Likes For blacknbluebikes:
Old 05-14-20, 07:13 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

BTW, i have 2 bikes, one has rim and the other disc. One is a road bike and the other is a CX.

Bikes are like tools, there is no single bike that does it all.

Likes For GlennR:
Old 05-14-20, 07:39 AM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
Originally Posted by Germanrazor
Okay.....call me old and out of touch. I would probably agree to a point. But when I look at new bikes online the push seems to be either pure road bikes migrating to disc brakes (hydraulic or mechanical) as the almost only option. I still love my caliper brakes due to simple simplicity.

So the dinosaur I seem to be, do you feel the eventual path is to certainly extinct the caliper concept?
Probably not extinct, but as others have said, harder to find. You can still find Crystal radios, but........
https://www.walmart.com/ip/crystal-r...ctedsellerid=0
Old 05-14-20, 07:40 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 438 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR
It's all about what sells and disc brakes are what the average rider wants. Manufacturing a rim and disc brake version might not be economically viable.

But there will always be small bespoke builders that will offer rim brakes, but your choices will be limited.

BTW.. .do you have really short arms?
It's either what the customer wants or what the industry is making the customer want. The average John Smith was just fine with rim brakes a few years ago.

Regardless, this subject has been discussed over and over on the Internets and especially on this forum. I don't believe rim brakes will disappear from the shelves anytime soon.
Old 05-14-20, 07:44 AM
stevel610 

Bikes: Novara Safari, CAAD9, WABI Classic, WABI Thunder

Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 457 Times in 240 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR
Bikes are like tools, there is no single bike that does it all.
I'm working to get down to 1. Currently down to a touring bike and a fixed gear.
Old 05-14-20, 07:45 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Originally Posted by eduskator
It's either what the customer wants or what the industry is pushing towards customer. The average John Smith was just fine with rim brakes a few years ago.

Regardless, this subject has been discussed over and over on the Internets and especially on this forum. I don't believe rim brakes will disappear from the shelves anytime soon.
Not totally but many bikes are only available in disc. Even cheap bikes have disc, mechanical cable.

Remember when front disc brakes were an option on cars? Then only sports cars had 4 wheel disc.Now every car has front disc and most have real also.

BTW.. nothing wrong with rim brakes, but they are not best suited for every situation. My "winter - foul weather" bike has hydro disc for better braking in the wet.
Old 05-14-20, 07:47 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Originally Posted by stevel610
I'm working to get down to 1. Currently down to a touring bike and a fixed gear.
I had 3 but realized that mountain biking was not for me, so I have a road and a CX that I can take on trails.
Old 05-14-20, 07:58 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
This subject has been discussed over and over on the Internets and especially on this forum.
Yeah, the subject has been discussed to death here,

Discs are here to stay,and rim brakes will become hard to find on high end bikes in the near future.
Likes For noodle soup:
Old 05-14-20, 08:05 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 438 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup
Yeah, the subject has been discussed to death here,

Discs are here to stay,and rim brakes will become hard to find on high end bikes in the near future.
Guess it's time to stack-up rim brake parts just like hoomans did with toilet papers 2 months ago.
Old 05-14-20, 08:28 AM
xroadcharlie

Bikes: 2018 Giant Sedona

Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 95 Posts
I'm with you and have 0 interest in dealing with hydraulics for a bicycle when proper rim brakes work just fine on the kind of riding I do. No racing for sure and no frequent steep descents in the rain. Thankfully Giant still makes a road bike with powerful rim brakes and an outstanding value balancing performance and comfort.

Check out this Giant Contend 1.
https://www.giant-bicycles.com/ca/contend-1

I have their entry level 2018 Sedona comfort bike with Tektro linear pull brakes. Not only do they work in the rain, but have more stopping power then I'll ever use, and are very easy to modulate with little effort. The much better rim brakes on the Contend, even with the higher speeds of a road bike should be even more effective.

Last edited by xroadcharlie; 05-14-20 at 09:30 AM.
Likes For xroadcharlie:
Old 05-14-20, 08:29 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Guess it's time to stack-up rim brake parts just like hoomans did with toilet papers 2 months ago.
Parts will be available for many years, but I don't see many complete bikes sold with rim brakes. The only bikes my shop sells with rim brakes, are low end road and comfort bikes.
Old 05-14-20, 08:40 AM
Clipped_in
Rubber side down

Bikes: are fun! :-)

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 225 Times in 105 Posts
OP, I guess I am a dinosaur too. I'm not a luddite, but I'm not an early adopter either. Like you, I like the simplicity of rim brakes and they are perfectly adequate for my needs. And I do ride a lot in the mountains. Then again, since I'm not racing these days, I ride very high-quality alloy rims, not carbon wheels that seem to be currently mandatory to be a "real" cyclist.

So, ride what you prefer. It's not like rim brake pads and brake cables will not be available anytime soon.
Likes For Clipped_in:
Old 05-14-20, 09:24 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3885 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
I wish we had rim brakes on our tandem. We go through a rim every year - they last 2 years and I stagger the wheel rebuilds. We ride outside all winter and the roads are gritty. It's actually worse when the roads are wet and it's not raining. That wouldn't be so bad except that good rims come and go as the market changes, which then changes spoke length, which gets expensive with 36 CX-Rays. So yeah, I'm glad rims brakes are disappearing on tandems.

I'd feel the same about singles except that I have a rain bike with 20 y.o. Open Pro Ceramic rims which simply don't wear, period. If not for that, I'd have to look for a disc rain bike. I don't mind the stopping issue particularly; one get's used to that, it's the rim wear.
Old 05-14-20, 09:35 AM
PoorInRichfield

Bikes: Trek Domane SL7 Disc, Cannondale F29

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 183 Posts
Think about it this way: What do rim brakes do better than disc brakes to justify making both?

I have had several bikes with both and much prefer discs. In terms of safety, discs win w/o question. There is apparently a small aero and potential weight advantage to rim brakes, but it's apparently not a big enough advantage to impact racers who are winning on disc brakes. Over time as manufacturers refine disc brakes, I suspect any advantages that rim brakes currently possess will be erased.
Those of you who prefer to work on rim brakes will learn to work on disc brakes and learn to love them ... unless of course you're super stubborn and refuse to learn new things, then there's no hope for you
Likes For PoorInRichfield:
Old 05-14-20, 10:09 AM
sced
South Carolina Ed

Bikes: Holdsworth custom, Macario Pro, Ciocc San Cristobal, Viner Nemo, Cyfac Le Mythique, Giant TCR, Tommasso Mondial, Cyfac Etoile

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 138 Posts
In the future there will be a rim brake fad for their beauty and simplicity
Likes For sced:
Old 05-14-20, 10:10 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22573 Post(s)
Liked 8,918 Times in 4,152 Posts
Agree on "high end" road bikes will be harder to find unless you go fully custom.

It's like someone posting and saying they want a bike with down-tube shifters. You can still do this with modern components, but it's no longer the default.

You can always find a home in C&V.
Old 05-14-20, 10:21 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
You may choose to evolve, or be a rara avis

Old 05-14-20, 10:23 AM
Jimmy Wisdom
-__-

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 8 Posts
I adore the hydraulic disc brakes on my Specialized Roubaix, and think they're without any doubt better than the very best rim brakes, but rim brakes still have a place out there. In fact, I just picked up an old used Litespeed that I'm looking to update with new components, including new rim brakes, because it'll still make for a great ride.
Old 05-14-20, 10:37 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4790 Post(s)
Liked 3,918 Times in 2,548 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty

That looks like a flying dinosaur. Birds - the dinosaurs that made it. And bats. They go back as far.

Not all dinosaurs had short arms. Everybody thinks Tranny Rex but the flyers had wingspan. I know, I am one. 6'0" with a wingspan of 6'2" (on narrow shoulders). And I ride rim brakes on all my bikes. 60% of my bikes are fix gears, I approach big hills like the early Tour de France dinos - stop and flip the rear wheel around.

We dinos have lived through eras of far more water. We know those ancient brakes, set up with the wisdom of the elders, worked just fine.

Ben
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 05-14-20, 10:41 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4790 Post(s)
Liked 3,918 Times in 2,548 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty

That looks like a flying dinosaur. Birds - the dinosaurs that made it. And bats. They go back as far.

Not all dinosaurs had short arms. Everybody thinks Tranny Rex but the flyers had wingspan. I know, I am one. 6'0" with a wingspan of 6'2" (on narrow shoulders). And I ride rim brakes on all my bikes. 60% of my bikes are fix gears, I approach big hills like the early Tour de France dinos - stop and flip the rear wheel around.

We dinos have lived through eras of far more water. We know those ancient brakes, set up with the wisdom of the elders, worked just fine.

Ben

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.