Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northeast
Reload this Page >

Rochester, NY to Boston, MA

Notices
Northeast Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York |Rhode Island | Vermont |

Old 07-01-11, 10:20 PM
jsharp9242

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi All,

I am thinking of doing a tour starting in my home of rochester, ny and ending up somewhere a little north of boston. The idea is currently in its infancy, however, I'm doing research to find the best possible route and to see if anyone has any recommendations for places to stay outside, good roads to take/avoid, or any other helpful information. I would be heading straight east probably going through/around syracuse, utica, and albany. I feel pretty comfortable with New York but everything past the MA border is kind of a crap shoot for me. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
Old 07-02-11, 02:43 PM
bktourer1

Bikes: Diamondback "parkway" Spec. "expedition

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 33 Posts
If you can find them get the Rubels bike maps for mass. MAss rt 20 East is pretty hilly but you're going through the berkshires. Look into Warmshowers for places to stay. Camping or motel? Time Frame?
can provide more info from teh Springfield Ma area eastbound. Contact me off list
Old 07-03-11, 03:40 PM
danacf

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Take a look at some crazyguyonabike.com journals. Clyde Kessel left north Boston about two months ago and is now in Colorado. Maps are included in his journal. Mike Noonan is heading toward Boston and has an earlier cross country journal. I'm sure there are many others.
Old 07-08-11, 07:51 PM
buzzman
----

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 4 Posts
I do the ride across Massachusetts with some regularity from between Lee/Pittsfield to near Watertown Square. I would avoid Route 20 after Westfield. My route is Route 20 East to 112 North to 66 East to Rt. 9 east in Northampton, pick up the bike path in Northampton or continue on Route 9 east and wend your way to Bay Road (past Hampshire College) and back to Route 9 east . I then take Paxton Road (near Spencer) north to Rt. 31 N to Rt. 122A to Rt. 70 n. to Rt 62 east to Rt 126 S to picking up Rt. 20 again. You can take 20 all the way through Waltham and pick up the bike path into Boston in Watertown Square.

If you want a more detailed cue sheet/map of this ride with some smaller connecting roads that will take you off the state highways at times. PM me and I'll send it to you.
Old 07-09-11, 04:14 AM
bktourer1

Bikes: Diamondback "parkway" Spec. "expedition

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 33 Posts
I rode from Boston to Springfield via the Charles River over to Waltham and RT 117 most of the way into Worcester. As I couldn't find (at the time) a cheap motel for the night I rode over to Auburn and stayed there.
Next day I headed for Rt 9 West to Rt 148 and from there to RT 20 to Springfield. RT 117 was a really quiet road.