Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

My Brooks is destroying my clothes

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

My Brooks is destroying my clothes

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-12, 04:59 PM
bhchdh 

Bikes: '07 Trek 520, '09 Gary Fisher Triton, '04 Trek 8000, '85 Trek 500, '84 Trek 610, '85 Trek 510, '88 Trek 660, '92 Trek 930, Trek Multitrack 700

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have a black B-17 that I have ridden for more then five years. I ride regularly in kakhi work pants or shorts and have no problems. I find that Dawn dish washing liqued is an excellent grease cutter, working well on chainring stains and even for cleaning chains. Be sure to wipe off the excess proofide.
"When I hear another express an opinion, which is not mine, I say to myself, He has a right to his opinion, as I to mine; why should I question it. His error does me no injury, and shall I become a Don Quixot to bring all men by force of argument, to one opinion? If a fact be misstated, it is probable he is gratified by a belief of it, and I have no right to deprive him of the gratification."

T. Jefferson

Last edited by bhchdh; 03-10-12 at 05:04 PM.
Old 03-10-12, 06:01 PM
Six jours

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by RaleighSport
How far would you say you have to ride for the brooks to cause a stain Six?
About three hours on our typical 70 degree days. As little as one hour on 90+ degree days.
Old 03-10-12, 06:47 PM
chefisaac

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Especially since Brooks has an amazing reputation.

I would suggest, please, changing the name. Brooks Saddles are not in question.
Old 03-10-12, 07:01 PM
megalowmatt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"My Cannondale Carbon Frame is a Heavy Dog"...

But it's not really carbon, it's pressed steel. And it's not a Cannondale, either.

I hate riding it.

Anybody else have this issue?
Old 03-10-12, 08:57 PM
AlmostGreenGuy
Intrepid Bicycle Commuter

Bikes: 1976 Motobecane Grand Jubile, Austro Daimler 'Ultima', 2012 Salsa Vaya, 2009 Trek 4300, Fyxation Eastside, State Matte Black 6, '97 Trek 930 SHX, '93 Specialized Rockhopper, 1990 Trek 950

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 34 Posts
I've got two Brooks black saddles, and never a stain on my khaki cotton shorts.
Old 03-11-12, 12:10 AM
gerv 
In the right lane

Bikes: 1974 Huffy 3 speed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Six jours
I use Brooks, V/O, and Selle An-Atomica. They all can stain if I ride far enough, and the manufacturers of all three warn about it.
^This.

Here's a little quote from Sheldon Brown"
Most leather saddles are dyed black. Oiling the saddle will partially dissolve the dye, which will stain on your clothes. This is why cycling shorts are black. Wear light colors at your own risk! If you must wear day-glo pink shorts, put a seat cover on the saddle.
https://sheldonbrown.com/leather.html

I own a VO saddle , an Ideale, a Fuji Belt. All pretty dark. All leather just like a Brooks.

Applying too much Proofide is probably not a good thing and I'm probably guilty of this. And it's probably part of the staining issue. Some manufacturers (like my VO saddle) recommend a thin coating of Proofide every 3 months.

I believe this may be too much.
Old 03-11-12, 06:36 AM
TurbineBlade
Kid A

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I've never had a problem with the honey b67, but I never wear "good" fancy pants or anything...just jeans, cheap jogging pants, cargo shorts, etc.
Old 03-11-12, 09:05 AM
Grim

Bikes: Cannondale T700s and a few others

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by gerv
^This.

I own a VO saddle , an Ideale, a Fuji Belt. All pretty dark. All leather just like a Brooks.

Applying too much Proofide is probably not a good thing and I'm probably guilty of this. And it's probably part of the staining issue. Some manufacturers (like my VO saddle) recommend a thin coating of Proofide every 3 months.

But you dont have a Brooks and chose to specifically name them with a negative comment. Please ask the Moderators to fix the title to replace "Brooks" with "Leather saddles".

The Profide I have noticed a residue shortly after using it. Its a water proofing agent. I do make sure to buff out the saddle really well after allowing the Profide to settle in over night. Again this is a problem with the product being applied to the saddle not Brooks brand saddles specifically.
Old 03-11-12, 12:01 PM
Six jours

Originally Posted by Grim
But you dont have a Brooks and chose to specifically name them with a negative comment. Please ask the Moderators to fix the title to replace "Brooks" with "Leather saddles".
Brooks themselves state that "All leather saddles stain light clothing over time." Frankly, until I came across this thread, I thought that was common knowledge. I kind of doubt Brooks would look at this discussion as defamatory.
Old 03-11-12, 01:02 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
only recently have bike shorts not been black, for a reason..

I dont apply Proofide so often, in fact 30 years ago I treated my
Brooks Pro by heating the saddle in the oven to the melting point ,about 100F,
of the waxes in the stuff, saddle upside down, the big dollop of melted waxes
soaked in and then It has been fine ever since..

though in a wet climate , commuting, I don't have the saddle on a bike
I leave out in the rain under a heavy plastic bag.

you might throw a plastic bag over your saddle when you put on your Khakis ..
Old 03-11-12, 02:04 PM
gerv 
In the right lane

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
you might throw a plastic bag over your saddle when you put on your Khakis ..
This is the best advice actually.

I was surprised by the link posted by Six Jours. The response seems to be coming from Brooks support.

Written by Janet Jones from UK 7/9/2011

I am having a problem with my B17 ladies saddle in so much as it stains my clothing. I have used the proofhide on it from time to time, but I think the black colour must come out of it as the seat of my trousers, after riding the bike for a while, turns grey.

I have had the saddle for 3 years now and do not want to change it as I have broken it in nicely, but do need a solution. Do you have one? (apart from wearing black trousers all the time!!!)
A> All leather saddles (including the ones made by our competitors) stain light clothing over time. The best solution is to use a saddle cover when wearing light trousers. This is also the reason that cycling shorts traditionally are black, btw.
Old 03-11-12, 08:01 PM
Schwinnrider
Mirror slap survivor

Bikes: Gunnar Sport, Surly Pacer, Access MTB, Ibex Corrida, one day a Simple City

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gerv
^This.

Yes, you are using too much Proofide. Still doesn't explain why you chose to use Brooks in your title when you don't own a Brooks. You could easily have specified which saddle you have, or even just use the words "leather saddle" in your header.
Old 03-12-12, 07:54 AM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
I was thinking about getting a Brooks, but probably won't now, having read this.
Old 03-12-12, 08:34 AM
mikeybikes

Bikes: Tons

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't get staining from either of my black Brooks saddles...

I also only use Proofide on the underside.
Old 03-12-12, 09:56 AM
ottawa_adam

Bikes: kona dew hybrid, MEC shadowlands

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have never had any staining from my black B.17. I only use proofide in the winter, when I'm not riding my bike.
Old 03-12-12, 10:24 AM
when

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Aardvark seatcover. Done.

You don't buy leather saddles for the look, you buy them for comfort.
Old 03-12-12, 10:53 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
I use Proofide sparingly, wipe off the excess before riding, wear dark jeans (when I do wear jeans), and have had no trouble with staining. Oh, and I don't start libelous threads about problems I'm worried could happen.

It would be like starting a thread titled "Gerv keeps kicking my dog!" when in reality, he just looks warily at it when riding by. See how this works?
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 03-12-12, 11:03 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
The Proofide goes on the Under side , and butt heat pulls it in..
Old 03-12-12, 11:07 AM
Schwinnrider
Mirror slap survivor

Bikes: Gunnar Sport, Surly Pacer, Access MTB, Ibex Corrida, one day a Simple City

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
The Proofide goes on the Under side , and butt heat pulls it in..
I've applied Proofide exactly once to my saddles, and the youngest one is 3 years old. I'll tell you my trick. When I first got the saddles, I applied a coat of Proofide top and bottom, then placed the saddle in my car for a day. A day in a car in Florida is like sitting in a barbecue smoker for a day. I think it melts the Proofide right in.

To be fair, I've never allowed my saddles to get wet, other than from butt sweat. I carry a saddle cover, and if there's a hint of rain it goes on.
Old 03-12-12, 11:36 AM
BILLB58

Bikes: '79 Schwinn Varsity

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
28,350 miles on my B17.....no stains
Old 03-12-12, 11:46 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2599 Post(s)
Liked 1,924 Times in 1,208 Posts
Brooks themselves state that "All leather saddles stain light clothing over time." Frankly, until I came across this thread, I thought that was common knowledge. I kind of doubt Brooks would look at this discussion as defamatory.
Since you're not actually using a Brooks saddle, it's misleading at best. If you were sued (which Brooks probably won't waste legal fees over), you could not defend yourself with the defense that what you said was true.

FWIW, I have some blue and green shorts, in addition to black, and I've had zero stain problems on those from my Brooks saddles (it's the truth, your honor!).
Old 03-12-12, 05:56 PM
Six jours

I use Brooks saddles on a regular basis. Mostly I wear black wool shorts with them. But I also have a "dedicated" pair of khaki shorts that are permanently stained by my black Brooks saddle. I suppose this will be exhibit "A" in the lawsuit. Exhibit "B" will be the Brooks website warning that Brooks saddles will stain light-colored clothing.

I would've thought fans of English bike parts would have a better grasp of English.
Old 03-12-12, 07:16 PM
justadude

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My experience using black Italian leather saddles for a long time, is that over time they get dirty with accumulation of dust. At least once or twice a year, I notice the leather appears dry or leaves a dirt mark when wiped with a light towel. What I do is clean it with saddle soap (Kiwi brand), following the directions on the label. The result is a clean and moisturized leather that looks newer and leaves no dirt mark. I've not used Proofide, so cannot say whether or not it is the equivalent or different from saddle soap. Would anyone who's used both products comment on a comparison of Proofide vs. saddle soap? Thanks.
Old 03-12-12, 08:23 PM
gerv 
In the right lane

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I use Brooks saddles on a regular basis. Mostly I wear black wool shorts with them. But I also have a "dedicated" pair of khaki shorts that are permanently stained by my black Brooks saddle. I suppose this will be exhibit "A" in the lawsuit. Exhibit "B" will be the Brooks website warning that Brooks saddles will stain light-colored clothing.

I would've thought fans of English bike parts would have a better grasp of English.
You need to tread carefully here.

Apparently, Brooks leather is quite unlike any other. You believe you have a Brooks saddle, but do you have any evidence to back up your claim? From all testimony here, your claim is doubtful. I suspect your really sitting on an Ideale or a Gyes. Other, inferior saddles claim to be made of leather, but in reality are made from other hides, probably kangaroo or somesuch. There is only one true leather saddle... and it is a Brooks.

I need to ad the mods for forgiveness taking the name of Brooks in vain.
Old 03-13-12, 06:39 PM
Confederate

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by justadude
Would anyone who's used both products comment on a comparison of Proofide vs. saddle soap? Thanks.
I use saddle soap on my leather boots, but have only used Proofide on my saddle. I did, though, wonder if the saddle soap would work. I suspect that you'll be fine. I just wasn't willing to take the risk. One product to be wary of is mink oil. I learned the danger of mink oil early on, by ruining a pair of boots with it. Mink oil will soften leather to the point that it loses all shape. Stay away from it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.