Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Like a Bridge Over Troubled Water...

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-13, 10:13 PM
buzzman
----

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 4 Posts

So I'm back living in NYC, working in Brooklyn and living uptown in Manhattan, which means a daily bridge commute over either the Manhattan Bridge or the Brooklyn Bridge.

I love the ride over the bridge and I've crossed a lot of bridges by bike but I can't recall the last time I had to do it regularly as part of my commute. As I was up there today in the wind and the rain I was wondering how do regular bridge commuters deal with even more severe conditions.

For example, the other night just as I arrived home a wall of thunderstorms came hurling through and I was glad I was on this side of the bridge. Do you wait them out? Have you ridden over a bridge like that in a storm?

Keep in mind I am literally an every day commuter. In snowy Boston, even this year, I didn't miss many days. And I ride in pretty nasty stuff commuting or on tours. But somehow the bridge feels like a commitment- once you start riding over...well, you know...
Old 04-13-13, 08:56 AM
AdamDZ
Bike addict, dreamer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I also try to ride every day. I live in Queens and work in Manhattan so we ride the opposite ways. Although I had a long break this Winter due to surgery. I mostly ride over the Williamsburg bridge most of the time, sometimes I take Queensboro or Manhattan for variety, usually on the way back home. Yes, I rode in strong storms and even blizzards. Sometimes it's somewhat scary if there is lightning or when the bridge is iced. Sometimes I get rewarded with an awesome, full rainbow And usually I get rewarded with an empty bridge

I will be riding a green Surly Trucker with Axiom rear panniers and I hit the WillyB around 8am so wave if you see me
Old 04-13-13, 09:19 AM
buzzman
----

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 4 Posts
Thanks for your reply AdamZ.

Yeah, yesterday I pretty much soloed my way down the West Side path- I did see a few cyclists, but not very many, and saw two other cyclists on the Manhattan Bridge but conditions seemed pretty reasonable to me- just some wind and rain. But it got me wondering if I'd be the only one up there on the bad days.

I'm on a black Novarra Flyby folder, usually with a black rack trunk, red helmet and I max out height wise on the bike at 6'3 so I'm tough to miss. I'll watch for you- I'm on a later schedule but might see you on your return trip.
Old 04-13-13, 10:08 AM
AdamDZ
Bike addict, dreamer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by buzzman
Thanks for your reply AdamZ.

Yeah, yesterday I pretty much soloed my way down the West Side path- I did see a few cyclists, but not very many, and saw two other cyclists on the Manhattan Bridge but conditions seemed pretty reasonable to me- just some wind and rain. But it got me wondering if I'd be the only one up there on the bad days.

I'm on a black Novarra Flyby folder, usually with a black rack trunk, red helmet and I max out height wise on the bike at 6'3 so I'm tough to miss. I'll watch for you- I'm on a later schedule but might see you on your return trip.
I don't recall a tall guy on a folder wearing a red helmet I'm sure, I'd take notice! So I guess our rides don't overlap.

I remember once in Winter I rode over the WillyB bridge entirely by myself. There was no other cyclist to be seen. It was right after heavy snowfall and I can see why most people would rather not ride. I had 2" studded MTB tires and still it was hard since the studs didn't help much with snow. I had to lower the saddle on the way down, I was skidding way too much. But it was fun. People were skateboarding down the bridge on the Manhattan side!