Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Cycling club - Did I make a mistake?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-18, 08:16 AM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 1,656 Times in 783 Posts

I recently got back into bicycling after about 30 years. During my "time off" I had a hip injury and a heart attack. Now retired, I have time to ride. Picked up a used Trek road bike, fixed it up, and started riding with some strict guidelines provided by my cardiologist.

I've worked my way up to 25 miles or so, at an average speed of 13.5MPH. The hills still kill me, as I have to watch my heart rate. I haven't been able to find any riding partners, so I just joined a local cycling club in the hopes of going out on some group rides.

Most of their group rides are B pace (15-17 MPH) or above, with rides starting at 30 miles (if the route is particularly hilly) and going up to 60+. I don't want to hold the group up, but at the same time, being new to the area, I don't want to get dropped out on unfamiliar roads. Not too crazy about the idea of pushing myself into another heart attack trying to keep up, either! I'm beginning to think I may have made a mistake. I'm actually setting my bike up on an indoor trainer to use with Zwift - I figure if I get 'dropped' on a group ride there, well, just get off the bike and head for the shower.

The club has over 170 members, but seldom have more than 10-15 on group rides. I'm thinking there may be other older, slower riders like me in the same boat. When my new jersey comes in, I'm hoping to attract a group for a more relaxed group ride.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Capture.JPG (20.0 KB, 476 views)
Old 02-05-18, 08:57 AM
prathmann

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I'd check with whoever in the club is responsible for posting the rides. Clubs I've been involved with have always been receptive to having additional rides scheduled, especially some slower-paced rides for beginners or others who don't want to push so hard. Usually the problem is finding someone who is willing to commit to hosting such rides.
Old 02-05-18, 09:24 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,475 Times in 1,836 Posts
Originally Posted by prathmann
I'd check with whoever in the club is responsible for posting the rides. Usually the problem is finding someone who is willing to commit to hosting such rides.
All this.

If you are willing to thoroughly research a route and show up every single week early , and take responsibility for anything which might go wrong, likely the club will be happy to post your "Old, Slow, and Infirm" ride.

Being old, slow, infirm, and also fat and lazy ... i am in your group. Our local shop has a Sunday recovery ride--no drop for real---and keeps the pace moderate or slower.

There are always some folks who tear off at high speed .... but there are always folks who cannot, or don't feel like it, or really are recovering and should not, and there is always someone who drops back to keep the slowest rider company all the way in.

Even though I am always okay, it never hurts to have someone ask as i am struggling up a hill wheezing louder than a battalion of bagpipers.
Old 02-05-18, 12:37 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Even the super fit riders appreciate a recovery ride. I say take the initiative and plan a route. On my team, typically someone will post on our FB page a start time and place, a destination, and a predicted pace. Pick a flat route and say max speed 15mph, no drop ride. Emphasize that everyone is welcome but everyone is expected to stay together and if you ride off the front, you're on your own.
Old 02-05-18, 12:39 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Yeah, similar issue here. I wanted to challenge myself after getting a road bike last June -- first time I'd ridden a road bike since the 1980s. I worked pretty hard on improving my conditioning until I could average 16 mph on 20-30 mile routes.

Then I tried a local B-group that claims to average 15-16 mph over 30-60 mile rides. But they often push toward 17-18 mph and I struggled to keep up. Usually I could hang on for the first 20 miles but when we hit the roller coasters gaps would open and I'd burn myself out sprinting to close the gap. So usually I drop myself after about 20 miles and go my own way, a little slower.

Funny how riding only 1-2 mph slower makes all the difference. Another issue -- one I remember well from my youth racing crits -- is adapting to the ebb and flow of a group. It's not just that they're riding at the limit of my conditioning. They're also varying the pace in ways I wouldn't if I were riding alone. For example, the groups tend to loaf on flats and coast downhills, while I prefer to push myself harder on flats and blast downhills as fast as safely possible. Then they'll pick up the pressure on hills where I'm weaker. The variations are so different from my preferences that it's exhausting after about 20 miles.

And it shows in my Strava segments. I have a few top ten times on some fast downhills, but am solidly middle of the pack on climbs. Probably more a reflection of my recklessness on fast downhills, rather than physical capability. I suspect most folks my age don't care to risk a fall blasting downhill as fast as possible. I don't care to burn myself up climbing at 15-17 mph when 12-14 mph seems just fine, thanks.

The fellow who originally organized that B-group would hang back with me when I fell behind, which was nice. I could handle the 15-16 mph pace. But he's been busy and hasn't made many of those rides lately, so I quit showing up.

I'm familiar with the routes so getting dropped didn't bother me. In fact, I'm not really fond of the route variations they take. It's usually counter-clockwise, which means too many instances of crossing against traffic. I prefer the clockwise version of the same routes. And another route spends too much time on the narrowest, twistiest part of the MUP that's also popular with joggers and walkers. I'm a little uncomfortable riding faster than 10 mph on that path, especially at night, but the group usually rides 12-15 mph there. Doesn't leave any margin for error.

Anyway, I'm still pushing my own conditioning, but solo and on my own schedule and routes. My weakness is hills so I cut back on riding the flatter routes. Sure, the flatter routes seem superficially impressive when I can average 16-17 mph over 20-30 miles. But it's much easier. So I'm tackling hillier routes and repeating some segments with either longer 2% grades, or shorter and steeper climbs. My average speed isn't impressive, usually around 14 mph, but I'm getting stronger on climbs.

So maybe I'll improve enough to hang with the somewhat faster groups. We'll see how it goes this spring and summer.
Old 02-05-18, 12:52 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18415 Post(s)
Liked 15,550 Times in 7,330 Posts
Originally Posted by prathmann
I'd check with whoever in the club is responsible for posting the rides. Clubs I've been involved with have always been receptive to having additional rides scheduled, especially some slower-paced rides for beginners or others who don't want to push so hard. Usually the problem is finding someone who is willing to commit to hosting such rides.
+2, especially the last sentence.

OP: Also talk to people who have listed rides and ask if you can co-lead a listed ride only at a slower pace. That happens with some regularity in my club. Helps attract more participants, especially since someone like yourself who may be worried about getting dropped by the faster pace knows he or she will have a group to fall back to.
Old 02-05-18, 01:47 PM
1nterceptor
LET'S ROLL

Bikes: 2014 BMC Gran Fondo, 2013 Brompton S6L-X

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 33 Posts
Some of your options; lead your own rides(w/in or outside of your club), find other clubs(Facebook, local shops, ask other riders), solo.
One local club in my area has mostly no drop rides - Five Boro bike Club:
Another has more members, more rides(A, B, C) - New York Cycle Club:
Old 02-05-18, 03:31 PM
Bald Paul

Thanks for all the suggestions, and also for letting me know I'm not alone in this situation.

I've put together an 'easy' ride (about 20 miles with one difficult* climb - there is no such thing as a flat route around here) and may present it at the next club meeting as a possible OSD (Old, Slow, Decrepit) group ride. If the club okays it, the club insurance will cover everyone riding it. Riders could opt out of the climb and shorten the route by a little more than a mile if they wanted to. We'll see how that idea flys.

*the level of difficulty on this climb refers to the agony my body will go through accomplishing it.
Old 02-05-18, 03:51 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18376 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
At least our local recreational cycling group lists rides:

10-12 MPH
12-15 MPH
16+ MPH

GEARs ? Advocacy | Education | Recreation
Ride Schedules ? GEARs

It looks like there are quite a few slower rides around here, although most still seem to be in the mid 30's for distance. Oh... I like the new Monday rides... "Hills for the 'dis-in-climbed'"

Keep in mind that the slower rides are usually "no drop" rides. I don't know exactly what that means, but it should be organized so that someone stays with those that has bike problems, and the group stops and regroups periodically.
Old 02-05-18, 04:02 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 5788 Post(s)
Liked 2,580 Times in 1,430 Posts
At this stage, you are best avoiding the club's rides. My suggestion is based on the fact that you're operating under a stress cap, and need to respect that.

This is hard enough when riding solo, but a full order harder when you factor the keep up with the group psychology. This subtle, unintended peer pressure can easily suck you into overload trouble.

As you continue to ride solo, two things will happen. First you'll get stronger, so may reach the point where the club rides aren't a challenge. Second, the doctor will crank the taps open allowing you more latitude to push harder.

Until, either or both happen do club rides only if you have a buddy willing to drop out and ride home with you at your pace.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 02-05-18, 07:24 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,836 Times in 2,229 Posts
2nd the idea that your cycling club is missing a huge segment if there are no sub-15mph rides with a coffee stop. You might be their best recruiter if you guide nice rides for the Spring/Summer season.

The problem I foresee is that slower riders most often want shorter distances. More mechanical issues with Newbie riders.

edit: I've been on a couple of rides where the mid-point food/bev stop was a main attraction, seemingly sandwiched between between 2 rides. An early ride with a Pastry Shoppe stop and alternating weeks start a bit later with a more luncheon offering.

(I used to do the same thing solo when living in hilly Missouri = Saturday's ride was after weekend household chores and had the luncheon theme, Sunday was a ride to a distant Donut-type Shoppe).

Last edited by Wildwood; 02-05-18 at 07:42 PM.
Old 02-05-18, 07:25 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
General comments on club rides ratings . . .

Other than A, B, C, etc., there are two different classification systems for intensity: average pace, and pace on the flat. Some clubs use one, some the other. When they list pace, you need to inquire which it is, because it makes a huge difference.

In "pace on the flat" rides, the group will hold the given range, say 14-16 on the flat, but on the climbs you may find that they've been loafing in zone 1 and all of a sudden they're busting a nut and climbing at 2000'/hour. So that pace system can be deceptive because one doesn't know what the group is going to do.

In "average pace" rides, the group will of course go harder on the climbs than the flat, but in general will try to ride at an intensity which will most efficiently produce the posted average. However this pace system also can be a bit deceptive because one may not realize what the intensity will have to be to produce the posted average. There will be a big difference in intensity depending on the amount of climbing. For instance my group most enjoys rides with about 50' of climbing per mile. At that rate of gain, to average 16 we will have to ride at ~20 on the flat. To average 18, 22-23 on the flat. As the rate of gain per mile goes up, so will speed on the flat as well as climbing intensity for any given average.

It's actually more complicated than that because given a particular average speed, stronger climbers can go slower on the flat, and conversely, slower climbers will have to go faster on the flat to produce the same average. Hence the desire to find a compatible group with about the same climbing ability as oneself, and the need to understand the classification system being used.
Old 02-05-18, 08:41 PM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Forming up a specific group for your ride requirements is not to bad an idea, as long as you don't become infected with the competitive spirit that can overtake group rides. I agree with FBinNY about not letting things go beyond your present stress load caps the cardiologist placed. There is a reason for his doing so, as I feel sure you know already. If an experienced club member, that will keep things controlled, will serve as the ride leader, you could gather together a suitable riding group for your pace, speed, and abilities. the ride leader will have to be familiar with the need to keep the ride in the range that is safe yet enjoyable for all involved. JMHO.

Good luck with your continued recovery and your cycling, its pretty amazing how far you have come.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 02-05-18, 11:02 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

On a slow ride you need two people---the leader and the sweep. The leader has to know the turns, and has to not be a.... hyper-competitive individual. The sweep has to be willing to wait with the slowest rider. "off the front, on your own" is a fine policy for slow rides.

As for stress, best way to mange stress is to let the stressors go off the front. Let the leader ride the advertised pace and drop back to check the sweep now and then (unless the sweep is three miles back.)

Cell phones work wonders ... last Sunday we had a guy on a borrowed bike who hadn't ridden in six months. A couple guys rode with him at his pace and called ahead to say all was well when the gap got really big. Everyone had fun.

I usually stay back just because I can .... i go hard for the first third or two-thirds (which means I keep up with the slow riders) and then i just cruise the rest. It isn't a race, where I finish doesn't matter. Every week there are a couple guys who feel like going slow, and reinforcing the idea that this is fine benefits everyone.

Unless you get more than a dozen brand new riders ("I am not sure--do I have a flat?") then noobs shouldn't be an issue. If other riders don't care enough to help out when needed, just as well let them go. But unless peopel deliberately ride through glass, flats and mechanicals shouldn't happen much ... and when everyone show up, if you see a person who is brand new, you can talk a little and get some sense whether they can ride safely and manage simple stuff .... of course the sweep would stay there (or better still, another volunteer) but it isn't likely that people who have never ridden a bike would be looking to join a bike club, i wouldn't think--and the kind that would, would probably be serious enough to come somewhere like here first.
Old 02-05-18, 11:36 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8280 Post(s)
Liked 9,044 Times in 4,477 Posts
I've been a member of a large road club for 28 years. We have 3 or 4 rides to choose from every Saturday and no speeds are ever advertised. People who do the shorter rides are usually slower (not always) and they can become friends and set whatever pace they like.
My point is if you meet enough riders you may find some who want to ride at your pace and you might even make some good friends, I know I have.
Old 02-06-18, 07:04 AM
Bald Paul

Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
General comments on club rides ratings . . .

Other than A, B, C, etc., there are two different classification systems for intensity: average pace, and pace on the flat. Some clubs use one, some the other. When they list pace, you need to inquire which it is, because it makes a huge difference.

In "pace on the flat" rides, the group will hold the given range, say 14-16 on the flat, but on the climbs you may find that they've been loafing in zone 1 and all of a sudden they're busting a nut and climbing at 2000'/hour. So that pace system can be deceptive because one doesn't know what the group is going to do.

In "average pace" rides, the group will of course go harder on the climbs than the flat, but in general will try to ride at an intensity which will most efficiently produce the posted average. However this pace system also can be a bit deceptive because one may not realize what the intensity will have to be to produce the posted average. There will be a big difference in intensity depending on the amount of climbing. For instance my group most enjoys rides with about 50' of climbing per mile. At that rate of gain, to average 16 we will have to ride at ~20 on the flat. To average 18, 22-23 on the flat. As the rate of gain per mile goes up, so will speed on the flat as well as climbing intensity for any given average.

It's actually more complicated than that because given a particular average speed, stronger climbers can go slower on the flat, and conversely, slower climbers will have to go faster on the flat to produce the same average. Hence the desire to find a compatible group with about the same climbing ability as oneself, and the need to understand the classification system being used.
All of that is so true. My "average speed" (as shown on my bike computer) is around 13.5 MPH. On the flats (the few that I've found) I can ride at 18-20 MPH without much trouble. The hills, as I mentioned, are my Achilles Heel. I have to slow to as low as 8-10 MPH to keep my heart rate within my levels on climbs I used to sprint up when I was much (much) younger.

I met up with a club group last weekend. They advertised a 17-18 MPH pace ride, 30 miles. I knew I wouldn't be able to sustain that, but wanted to introduce myself to some of the members. The posted route started about 4 miles from my home and went right by our subdivision, so I rode a 10 mile route to the start point, and explained that I was going to peel off at my subdivision entrance. I was able to keep pace for the first 2.5 miles, and then the group hit the first climb. They were climbing at 15 MPH. I (foolishly) hung onto the back until my HRM alarm went off, then watched them disappear in the distance.

If the club wants to concentrate on training and racing, and isn't interested in casual rides, I won't bother renewing my membership next year. Option B is to start a local group listing on Meetup to see if there is any interest.
Old 02-06-18, 08:34 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
I like the shirt
Old 02-06-18, 10:09 AM
Maelochs

I am in a slightly similar situation .... my lungs give way before my heart rate spikes (took a couple years after my ablation for my heart to calm down) but it is similar in that if i push too hard on the hills (or going fast in the heat) I can get that sick hollowness in the chest cavity that means my heart is sick and tired and is going to make me slow down.

That's the "riding sweep" benefit.

Two weeks ago i felt good and I stayed with the lead riders through the first few miles, which include a few very short climbs ... I caught up on the downhill because of my aero-belly. Then we rounded a corner and hit the first real hill---all of 1.7 percent or some such---and the Entire line rode by me. Even the "slow" riders dropped me.

After a while one of the ride organizers dropped back to make sure I was okay ... and did that a few times. As long as I was in sight and not dying, everyone was cool with me riding my pace. And one of people who run the ride made sure to slow way down so that he always had an eye on me.

One the ride back there were a couple of us ... riders resting, riders suffering, and the sweep rider, whose job was being last or at least really close to the last rider.

He could go up the hills at 5 mph, who cares? So long as he didn't leave anyone behind him, he was doing it right.

I have ridden that role a few times myself ... seems I am perfectly suited to finish last, so why not help others while doing my own ride?

Start your group ride.
Old 02-06-18, 10:12 AM
Bald Paul

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
I like the shirt
Thanks! "Team Tortoise" was actually coined after a group of us completed the MS150 ride that left from Northern Essex Community College in Haverhill in the 70s. (Yes, originally from Mass!)
Old 02-06-18, 10:45 AM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 945 Post(s)
Liked 1,986 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
I've been a member of a large road club for 28 years. We have 3 or 4 rides to choose from every Saturday and no speeds are ever advertised. People who do the shorter rides are usually slower (not always) and they can become friends and set whatever pace they like.
My point is if you meet enough riders you may find some who want to ride at your pace and you might even make some good friends, I know I have.
Damn ... I was going to say the same thing.

If you ride with a big enough group, you'll meet people who like riding at your pace, and make new friends. At that point, you don't need the bike club at all. Give your new friends a holler and go for a ride.

Old 02-06-18, 11:07 AM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
Our bike club runs rides like Big John's in post #15. There is no ride leader but every Sunday there is a choice of 3-4 rides with different lengths, say 30mi, 50mi, or 75 mi with a century ride about every month. For each separate ride there my be 30 to 40 riders so that it is common to find yourself in a small group of 10 or so who ride at a similar pace. Occasionally I'll do a longer distance but begin my ride as much as an hour early and finish about the same time as everyone else.
Old 02-06-18, 11:37 AM
Stormsedge

Bikes: 2017 Trek Domane SL6 Disc, 1990 Schwinn Crosscut Frankenroadbike, 2015 KHS Team 29 FS, 2000 Gary Fisher Tassajara--gone but not forgotten

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 30 Posts
Both our local bike shops offer A, B, and C level rides weekly in season. Potentially another option for you.
Old 02-06-18, 01:52 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
Originally Posted by Bald Paul
originally from Mass!
right on, tho I'm a transplant myself
Old 02-07-18, 08:02 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
My club has something like 700 active riders, and I'm forever hearing the complaint that "there's no ride for me." My answer is always the same: Follow the club guidelines and post your own ride. That way it will always be at a day and time you want, and be the length and speed you want.
Old 02-07-18, 08:32 AM
Maelochs

Our local shop club .... some guy does 6 a.m. Wednesday morning rides .... and gets people to join him. Too fast for me or I would too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.