Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

New helmet advice - is MIPS worth it?

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-18, 09:20 AM
RicePudding

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR GX 1 (2018), Giant Talon 2 (2010, RIP)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm on the market for a new helmet as my old Fox Flux is getting rather worn and tatty after using it for many many years.

Of course the big thing in cycling helmets currently is MIPS with many claiming that it reduces the chances of concussion and brain injuries in a collision.

I've seen many professional websites claim that it is a worthwhile investment if you're looking at a new helmet. On the other hand I have seen a lot of criticism citing that there is no tangeble evidence that MIPS actually works and is all just marketing hype.

So based on this I am looking at two helmets in the same price category:
Kask Mojito or Giro Cinder MIPS

Both attainable for around £80
Which would you pick?
What is your opinion on MIPS?
Old 11-13-18, 09:42 AM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
What I look for first in a helmet is fit.
Since I have a head that's more oval than average, that can be a challenge.

If I were to find a helmet that was a good fit, and with MIPS, then that's what I'd buy.
Maybe it isn't such a life-saver some claim, but I haven't seen anyone suggesting that MIPS adds any danger.
For the frequency that I replace helmets, the cost isn't really a concern.
OTOH, if the best fitting helmet isn't MIPS, then I'd buy that anyhow.
A non-MIPS helmet that gets used will do more good than a MIPS helmet left at home.
Old 11-13-18, 10:01 AM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 219 Posts
1. Just remember that bicycle helmets make money for helmet manufacturers.

2. Helmets make your head BIGGER, so you are more likely to hit it.

3. The range of impact where any bicycle helmet makes a difference is small.

4. Most helmets mid-range to high end will be MIPS soon, so you won't have any choice.

5. MIPS must offer more protection because helmet manufacturers say it does. See #1
Old 11-13-18, 10:09 AM
RicePudding

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR GX 1 (2018), Giant Talon 2 (2010, RIP)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I do plan to try the helmets before buying, being the tight individual I am, I don't easily part with £80 without thoroughly justifying it to myself. I agree that a well fitted helmet will make better mileage than a helmet sold on just looks or features.

I was curious that Kask make some excellent helmets but they don't offer any MIPS variants of their helmets and from what I have read, they don't plan on implementing it in the future, which made me further question its effectiveness.
Old 11-14-18, 07:12 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 571 Posts
I can't say that what I've read on MIPS is all that convincing. Time will tell. But if I could get a helmet that met fit, ventilation, and weight considerations that also had MIPS, I'd probably opt for it. It can't hurt. And the prices have come down to where it doesn't seem that MIPS helmets are much more expensive. OTOH, I wouldn't reject a helmet I really liked because it didn't have MIPS.
Old 11-16-18, 02:54 PM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
MIPS is nothing more than an attempt to mitigate sheer forces transferred from the helmet to the skull and finally the brain in the event of a crash. Unfortunately, MIPS selling point is based around the notion that cyclists helmets are currently being fastened so tightly that virtually no sheer forces are lost in transfer from the helmet to the skull during the impact. I know of no instances where anyone could possibly wear a helmet that tight and remain even slightly comfortable. In reality many riders wear the helmet too loose or improperly positioned and the helmet shifts on impact. The shifting on impact (sheer force reduction) is exactly what MIPS proposes to provide. MIPS may possibly allow cyclists to strive for a tighter fit while still providing sheer force protection, but I suspect such a tight fit would still be largely uncomfortable. As other have already stated, MIPS doesn't appear to add any negatives, so one could reasonably assume "it can't hurt." I would argue fit, more than anything, is the best criteria for choosing a helmet.

-Kedosto
Old 11-16-18, 03:11 PM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
Originally Posted by RicePudding

I was curious that Kask make some excellent helmets but they don't offer any MIPS variants of their helmets and from what I have read, they don't plan on implementing it in the future, which made me further question its effectiveness.
You might want to hold off with that judgement a bit.
Things like this, there’s generally a licensing agreement lurking somewhere.
Kask may not have anything against MIPS as such, but may simply object to the (size of the) licensing fee.
Old 11-16-18, 05:32 PM
wingless

Bikes: 2011 Trek 1.2 + 2016 Trek 1.1 H2

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts
Here is my Bell Z20 MIPS Helmet Topic.

This is is a good helmet and I have zero hesitation to recommend this product.
Old 11-16-18, 06:09 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,928 Times in 2,553 Posts
2 weeks before I'd ever heard of MIPS, I crashed hard, over the bars aan on on to my left side. Collarbone, a couple of ribs, an acre of road rash and my last memory was of the right side of my helmet hitting the road hard, then a long grind. I snapped to full attention as soon as I stopped moving; no concussion. (Just my brain/body saying "you don't need to witness this." There was no time lost. The car behind me was right where it should have been.)

The striking facts of this crash were 1) I hit hard, including my helmet. Apparently I never tightened the straps enough because the helmet spun around, knocking my classes off and near severing my ear. And I had no concussion at all. (I've had a massive TBI and many concussions since because I live with NFL quality "loose brain syndrome". (I coined that but any NFL lineman would know instantly what I am talking about.)

Read about MIPS and was an instant believer. How else do you explain my hit and zero concussion? If MIPS helps just a little, I want it. I paid a lot more for my POC Trabec than the non-MIPS version (first helmet I saw that fit and was not a dark color). Don't regret it at all. ve that for my next helmet, I have a lot of MIPS choices and the prices have come way down.

Ben
Old 11-21-18, 03:57 PM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1668 Post(s)
Liked 1,821 Times in 1,059 Posts
BTW, kids, just so we're all up to speed: MIPS is a patented, proprietary design which seeks to reduce rotational energy to the brain in a crash. MIPS is licensed to numerous helmet companies.

Other companies have their own in-house designs that seek to reduce rotational energy to the brain in a crash: 6D with their Omni-Directional Suspension, Kali Protectives with their LDL, Leatt with their 360º Turbine, POC with their SPIN and probably others.

Other 'beyond mandated minimum safety tests' considerations besides weight and ventilation: visible-ness, rounded exterior with no snag points, slick outer surface that slides instead of catches, extended rear coverage, dual density foam energy management.
Old 11-21-18, 04:04 PM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1668 Post(s)
Liked 1,821 Times in 1,059 Posts
Originally Posted by Kedosto
As other have already stated, MIPS doesn't appear to add any negatives...
The first generation MIPS helmets were existing models that removed some thickness of polystyrene to make room for the MIPS. They still met minimum standard, possibly by using harder foam. Shrug.
Old 11-23-18, 10:06 AM
skye

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Save your money, buy a mirror instead. Way better for your safety.
Old 11-23-18, 01:12 PM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Originally Posted by skye
Save your money, buy a mirror instead. Way better for your safety.
Save your money on the mirror, buy a Bar Mitts instead. Way better for the cold.

-mr. bill

Last edited by mr_bill; 11-23-18 at 02:26 PM.
Old 11-26-18, 12:38 AM
superdex
staring at the mountains

Bikes: Obed GVR, Fairdale Goodship, Salsa Timberjack 29

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 197 Times in 112 Posts
1) something not from a manufacturer: https://helmets.org/mips.htm

2) it gives my wife peace of mind, that works for me.
Old 11-26-18, 02:36 AM
Teamprovicycle
Banned

Bikes: Specialized tarmac sl2 giant tcx zero

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Here is a thought , how about a moto gp helmet .?
motor cycle helmets are made to withstand higher forces NO?
Old 12-02-18, 02:15 PM
Dahon.Steve

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Kedosto
MIPS is nothing more than an attempt to mitigate sheer forces transferred from the helmet to the skull and finally the brain in the event of a crash. Unfortunately, MIPS selling point is based around the notion that cyclists helmets are currently being fastened so tightly that virtually no sheer forces are lost in transfer from the helmet to the skull during the impact. I know of no instances where anyone could possibly wear a helmet that tight and remain even slightly comfortable. In reality many riders wear the helmet too loose or improperly positioned and the helmet shifts on impact. The shifting on impact (sheer force reduction) is exactly what MIPS proposes to provide. MIPS may possibly allow cyclists to strive for a tighter fit while still providing sheer force protection, but I suspect such a tight fit would still be largely uncomfortable. As other have already stated, MIPS doesn't appear to add any negatives, so one could reasonably assume "it can't hurt." I would argue fit, more than anything, is the best criteria for choosing a helmet.

-Kedosto
+1
Very good points.

I was thinking about this and you are not supposed to wear a helmet extremely tight, because once it presses very hard against your temples, it becomes painful and likely to give you headaches! The reason I avoid MIPS is that it appears to add a layer of plastic that covers the vents making it hotter in the summer. Helmets are hot enough during the summer and adding technology that blocks even a portion of the vents will be a good enough reason NOT to wear one.

Helmets are like bicycles. If it does not fit, you will not use one.