Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Update: Drilling holes in seatstays

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-18, 07:24 PM
nishiki12
Plato's Featherless Biped

Bikes: Nishiki Anasazi, Schwinn something or other

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey Y'all

Back in March, I joined this forum and my first post was about my ****ty decision to drill 2 1/4" holes in my seatstays to mount a rack. I took 'em out at the end of February, and then I read an article on Material Physics and realised how bad big ass holes in cylindrical aluminum can be. You gave me mixed answers (i.e. "ur a dumbass, ur gonna have ur bike fall out from under you and you'll break your tailbone")

Well, I did smash my tailbone, but that was during a basketball game. What didn't happen was that my bike, with its holy stays, broke in half. I did crash it several times doing fast downhill trails at a local park, and every time I checked it for cracks, and every time there were none. I even made a fiber optic light from an old lamp and peeked inside the stays to look for cracks inside, and found none.

Now, during the summer I took the rack + ammo can panniers off, since trail riding with loud rattling behind you is not ideal. But now, it's winter again, and Mother Nature has decided to nuke my city with snow for a couple of weeks, so the rack and panniers are going on again.

This time, I'm mounting them with proper p clamps on the seatstays and chainstays, so no stress will be directly on the holes. My question is, do you guys think that my bike'll be fine through this winter and into next summer + fall (I'm getting a new bike sometime around this time next year)?

Just in case these come in handy:

Bike: Nishiki Anasazi Hardtail
Wheels: 27 in, 700c
Frame Size: 16
Frame Material: Aluminium
Holes: Clean through both sides of the seatstays, 1/4 - 1/3" diameter

Thanks in advance
Mounting points: 6 (2 factory-drilled holes, 2 p clamps on seatstays and 2 on chainstays)
Rack + Pannier Weight: Max 10 lbs, Normally around 7 lbs
Riding Area: Suburban Neighborhoods + maybe gravel roads
Old 11-18-18, 07:28 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Riv nuts go in larger holes, then reinforce them as they expand..

plan B) fill with epoxy putty

and worry..

Last edited by fietsbob; 11-19-18 at 11:03 AM.
Old 11-18-18, 08:32 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
I remember that thread. I am guessing you will get the same answers as you did last time.

I believe mine was alomg the lines of “ride it and see what happens, you’ve got nothing to lose, and you are not going to die if it fails”.

And I will say the same now.

Last edited by Kapusta; 11-19-18 at 07:22 AM.
Old 11-18-18, 09:13 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Nobody can give an authoritative answer but a mechanical engineer, and they're not going to. Anything else is a guess.
Old 11-19-18, 04:31 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
it was a bad idea, but the result is not guaranteed ... your seat stays might or might not fail at any time. Since you have been willing to gamble this far .... whatever.
Old 11-19-18, 05:54 AM
jj1091
Mike J

Bikes: 1975 Peugeot PX-50L, 1971 Peugeot PX-10, 1974 Peugeot PX-8

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I clicked on it just wanting to see how you'd drill 2 1/4" holes in anything on a bike. Well, maybe the seat.
Old 11-19-18, 06:05 AM
nishiki12
Plato's Featherless Biped

Bikes: Nishiki Anasazi, Schwinn something or other

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lol no, I meant that there was one 1/4" hole per seatstay. 2 was the amount of holes.
Old 11-19-18, 08:01 AM
Mark Manner

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Kapusta
I remember that thread. I am guessing you will get the same answers as you did last time.

I believe mine was alomg the lines of “ride it and see what happens, you’ve got nothing to lose, and you are not going to die if it fails”.

And I will say the same now.
If it fails going down hill or in traffic, you might die. Other places maybe just broken bones. To me it wouldn't be worth the risk, and I would save up and buy a new frame and hang that one on the wall. Frames make cool looking art anyway, and it is always fun to get a new one.
Good luck!
Mark
Old 11-19-18, 08:34 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,218 Times in 2,365 Posts
Originally Posted by Mark Manner
If it fails going down hill or in traffic, you might die. Other places maybe just broken bones. To me it wouldn't be worth the risk, and I would save up and buy a new frame and hang that one on the wall. Frames make cool looking art anyway, and it is always fun to get a new one.
Good luck!
Mark

No, nishiki12 won't "die" if the frame fails under most any circumstances. Frame failures aren't of the "bike shatters into a million pieces" variety...even self-inflicted frame failures. Both seat stays are unlikely to fail at the same time and even if they did, the bike wouldn't do anything more than hit the tire against the seat tube. It might be an exciting ride but it wouldn't result in "death!"

Was it something dumb to do, yes. But it isn't deadly.

Originally Posted by nishiki12
Hey Y'all

Back in March, I joined this forum and my first post was about my ****ty decision to drill 2 1/4" holes in my seatstays to mount a rack. I took 'em out at the end of February, and then I read an article on Material Physics and realised how bad big ass holes in cylindrical aluminum can be. You gave me mixed answers (i.e. "ur a dumbass, ur gonna have ur bike fall out from under you and you'll break your tailbone")
While I stand by what I said above, your frame is probably going to fail at some point as you know from the article you read. The more you pound it, the more sooner the failure will occur. When it does, I would suggest a less destructive method of attaching a rack to your new frame. A p-clamp will do the job nicely. A much better, but more expensive, clamp is available from Tubus . I've had great success using that mount even for the lower mount on bikes without rack mounts.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 11-19-18, 09:19 AM
Mark Manner

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by cyccommute
No, nishiki12 won't "die" if the frame fails under most any circumstances. Frame failures aren't of the "bike shatters into a million pieces" variety...even self-inflicted frame failures. Both seat stays are unlikely to fail at the same time and even if they did, the bike wouldn't do anything more than hit the tire against the seat tube. It might be an exciting ride but it wouldn't result in "death!"

Was it something dumb to do, yes. But it isn't deadly.
Hi, I agree it's not more likely than not to result in death. However, I never said or thought that the frame was going to explode upon failure. I do think that if one seat stay breaks going downhill at 40mph and the seat tube hits the tire, it very likely could result in a crash. At that speed, its serious.
Old 11-19-18, 12:21 PM
wingless

Bikes: 2011 Trek 1.2 + 2016 Trek 1.1 H2

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts
FWIW, an Adel clamp is frequently referred to as a P clamp.

The OP should use a video camera during operation, in-case something happens.
Old 11-19-18, 12:31 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
search Amazon "vinyl coated clamp." Use innertube rubber as a shim if needed.
Old 11-19-18, 12:34 PM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
can you hear the noise from the holes?
Old 11-19-18, 12:47 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,696 Times in 2,517 Posts
I forget if I answered the other thread. I am a mechanical engineer, and I did my Ph.D. thesis on monitoring fatigue cracks in aluminum. The answer is that it may take a long time to break or it might never break. The one thing to consider is that if it does start to crack and the cracks become visible, the growth will start to accelerate exponentially. The loading on stays may be such that you will not get any cracking, it's hard to know without doing more analysis.

I do think it's better at this point to use p-clamps. The top of the rack doesn't need much stabilization. The holes are much more likely to crack if the load is applied there with a bolt. I found a paper about that once, but I failed to save the reference.
Old 11-19-18, 07:34 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1744 Post(s)
Liked 1,370 Times in 719 Posts
Why not reinforce the holes with something like a bolt bonded in place? Back in the 90's steel bikes with holes in the top tubes for internal cable routing sometimes failed at the holes if they did not have a reinforcing collar around the hole brazed in place. Perhaps bonding something into the hole will have the same affect as a reinforcing collar.
Old 11-19-18, 07:56 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
Ride it until it breaks and kills you ... then come here and post about it.
Old 11-19-18, 08:41 PM
Wileyrat

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix, 1983 Team Fuji, 2019 Marin Nail Trail 6

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 137 Posts
The only thing I can add is good luck. Oh, and keep your medical insurance up to date.
Old 11-23-18, 09:23 AM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
If you manage to ride the bike into next year without killing yourself (likely or you’d probably be dead by now) be absolutely clear about what you’ve done to the frame to the next owner. Should you create a situation whereby ANYONE takes possession of that frame, you have the moral obligation to be clear and honest about the risk. Frankly, when you move to the next bike as you’re planning to do, this frame should be destroyed.

-Kedosto
Old 11-23-18, 12:52 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,696 Times in 2,517 Posts
I forgot to mention that you should look at those holes fairly frequently.
Old 11-23-18, 05:17 PM
Hoopdriver
On Holiday

Bikes: A bunch of old steel bikes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Seat stays are probably the least stressed of all frame members. It's doubtful that there will be a dramatic failure; especially with rim brakes, which would resist any wheel misalignment. Disk brakes create their own stresses on a seat stay but not at the point of your experimental modification. I wouldn't worry too much but you probably want to keep your eye on them.
Old 11-23-18, 07:56 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 396 Posts
OP, you weren't the first to do this.

Old 11-23-18, 08:31 PM
mtbikerinpa
Shimano Certified

Bikes: 92 Giant Sedona ATX Custom

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Such overtightening on those.... ouch.

In my experience a seat stay on a rim brake bike takes more deflective force than a disc would. The compliance outward is often higher than it is on vertical(what disc would do). Can of worms maybe, but my steel frames especially were prone to bowing outward (as much as 1/8") with v-brakes or cantilevers and haven't had a single problem with flex since adding discs(which was adding the tabs). As was stated, the failure mode is not instantaneous in either case, so if you monitor your frame when you clean it there shouldn't be any sudden surprises. If the holes were fairly cleanly drilled and centered the tensile force would be carried around the eyelets in a decent manner. All aluminum frames fatigue at some point its just a matter of when and what point of the frame goes first.
Old 11-24-18, 03:04 PM
NickDandy

Bikes: Raleigh Record ?

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
Find someone with a TIG welder that does Aluminum. Maybe a place that repairs Mag Rims for cars.
Just have to keep it cold while welding.

Shawn