Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Road rage

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-08, 01:49 PM
Vern

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Road rage

Bike rage against other riders is stupid. So is racing against people who don't realize you're racing them. A roadie rode by me the other day in full kit, which I always think is kind of absurd, but whatever, he's minding his own business and having a good time on a nice day. And then, like 20 seconds later, a couple of goons blow by me and my lady, almost knocking her over, while in hot pursuit of the roadie, who probably doesn't realize he's being tailed. One of the goons is really mashing, in really sloppy form, like he really has a bone to pick with this oblivious roadie. Being a classy kind of guy, he rides through a busy cross walk parallel wise, at full speed, then through a group of people who've just gotten off of a bus, and then onto the sidewalk, which he continues to barrel down for a couple blocks. Finally, he gets just in front of the meandering roadie and, from the right and with a parked van to make him practically invisible from the street, cuts the startled guy off, who has to swerve a little to avoid clipping wheels with the goon. The other goon, who was good enough to stay on the street rides next to/behind the roadie, and together the two goons pretty much harass and impede this guy for what appears to be no good reason. Oh yeah, they were on single speeds, and seemed to have some sort of chips on their shoulders about it. I mean, I know roadies can be annoying, uppity snots, but honestly...I was totally embarrassed to be on a one gear bike that day. Stupid.

Old 10-22-08, 02:04 PM
timmhaan
more ape than man

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
yeah, everyone does ******** stuff - no matter which bike. i'll give an example of both:

1. Geared Bike: lady scolds me for riding outside the bike lane...then proceeds to bomb through a red light herself. whaa?

2. Fixed Gear: messenger riding downtown no-handed and with his feet up on the bars. a pedestrian crosses the street and they almost collide. the messenger yells and tries to take a swing at the ped as he rides away.

awesome world we live in.
Old 10-22-08, 02:15 PM
middy
Ketchup

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 2 Posts
Yeah, it's a messed up world.

I saw a TV show where a tribe of chimps attacked another tribe of chimps and ate their babies.

True story.
Old 10-22-08, 03:00 PM
pirate

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you run a stop sign and cut someone off, almost hitting them with your vehicle, then yell at the person you almost killed to "watch out", chimps should eat your babies and/or reproductive system.

Fun ride home today.
Old 10-22-08, 03:03 PM
Critical Jeff
Permanent Beater Rider

Bikes: Windsor Hour

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
some chicks from my school randomly spit spit balls at me while i was riding down a 4 lane (2 drive lanes, 2 parallel parking lanes). There was about a 4 ft gap between the parked cars and the moving cars, so I wasn't in the way at all. They do their immature deed and speed away making a right then a left. I catch up to them at a stop light about two blocks down and throw my half full plastic bottle of green tea at their big ass gas guzzling SUV. I swear, i hope that **** makes the paint peel, too bad it wasn't soda. If there passenger side window was open i would have thrown it into the cabin.
Old 10-22-08, 03:13 PM
Thetank

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got a drunk couple in a truck calling me and my riding buddy "****" and tell us to ride on the sidewalk cause streets are for cars. They didn't try to run us off the road but rather just intimidate us to move out of their way by honking and flashing their lights. Now I always carry a pocket size bottle of mace which is helpful for when dogs give chase too.
Old 10-22-08, 03:22 PM
teiaperigosa
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by timmhaan
yeah, everyone does ******** stuff - no matter which bike. i'll give an example of both:

1. Geared Bike: lady scolds me for riding outside the bike lane...then proceeds to bomb through a red light herself. whaa?

2. Fixed Gear: messenger riding downtown no-handed and with his feet up on the bars. a pedestrian crosses the street and they almost collide. the messenger yells and tries to take a swing at the ped as he rides away.

awesome world we live in.
Old 10-22-08, 03:23 PM
timmhaan
more ape than man

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
why are you winking at me? i report what i see
Old 10-22-08, 03:27 PM
elTwitcho
Live without dead time

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Thetank
I got a drunk couple in a truck calling me and my riding buddy "****" and tell us to ride on the sidewalk cause streets are for cars. They didn't try to run us off the road but rather just intimidate us to move out of their way by honking and flashing their lights. Now I always carry a pocket size bottle of mace which is helpful for when dogs give chase too.
Around here it seems almost all the people who yell from their cars or harass cyclists are cowards. I make a point of confronting people who put me at risk because they don't like bikes whenever I catch up to them at an intersection. There was one guy a few weeks ago I caught at an intersection who just moments before was comfortable wailing on his horn and then passing me close enough to almost clip my front wheel but wouldn't make eye contact when I was banging on his window telling him to get out of his car.

Go figure

People who are rude I almost always ignore, it's the odd ******* who almost causes me to crash because of their hostility who make me see red.
Old 10-22-08, 03:36 PM
veganeric

Bikes: several

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Thetank
Instant rage. https://www.imeem.com/hubert13/music/...ulock_justice/
Old 10-22-08, 03:37 PM
Bala

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This week:
Monday, air horn out the window of passing car. (that's a new one)
Tuesday, garbage truck honks and guns it around me in the empty lane to my left.

Couldn't catch up to either, but from now on I'm getting license plate numbers and...well I have some ideas.
Old 10-22-08, 03:56 PM
Mr Wiggles

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Does anyone know the rules for macing someone? What kind of consequences can you face for macing? What I'm really getting at is can you get in trouble for macing someone operating a vehicle if they threaten to use it was a weapon (run you over) or just attempted to and you met them at a stop?
Old 10-22-08, 03:58 PM
elTwitcho
Live without dead time

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr Wiggles
Does anyone know the rules for macing someone? What kind of consequences can you face for macing? What I'm really getting at is can you get in trouble for macing someone operating a vehicle if they threaten to use it was a weapon (run you over) or just attempted to and you met them at a stop?
From a legal standpoint the law would almost certainly not be on your side and you would face something along the lines of assault
Old 10-22-08, 04:02 PM
Critical Jeff
Permanent Beater Rider

Bikes: Windsor Hour

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by elTwitcho
From a legal standpoint the law would almost certainly not be on your side and you would face something along the lines of assault
You cant compare Canadian law to US state law.
Old 10-22-08, 04:07 PM
TheSodaJerk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would imagine macing a person inside of their car would be illegal. If they tried to run you over and you caught up with them to mace them it isnt defense, its retribution.
Old 10-22-08, 04:10 PM
elTwitcho
Live without dead time

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Critical Jeff
You cant compare Canadian law to US state law.
Sure you can. From a criminal law standpoint many of the laws are very similar.

What's your counterargument that approaching someone and assaulting them with mace would be legally allowed? You're not allowed to hurt people just on the basis of them probably deserving it...
Old 10-22-08, 04:24 PM
Thetank

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wouldn't catch up to a person and spray them while in their car, I would simply confront them and if they step out I would then proceed to spray them in the face. That is unless they threw something at me then I would proceed to spray the contents of my water bottle in their seat if the window is open.
Old 10-22-08, 04:36 PM
Mr Wiggles

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you're at a stop, and they openly threaten to run you over when the light turns green I really don't see a difference between that and someone approaching you with a knife. The point isn't whether or not you're in the right to mace, it's the point of macing someone that's operating a vehicle...is it illegal since they're operating it?
Old 10-22-08, 04:40 PM
TheSodaJerk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lets just say itd be very easy for an officer to charge you with public endangerment. at least I would imagine so.
Old 10-22-08, 05:00 PM
somegeek
Harumph

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The world is full of 'em.... unless you're gonna track an individual down and resolve an issue, let it go. Just eats a person up inside and makes them bitter. You had to deal with said moron for a few seconds... they have to live with themselves every day.

Life is too short... **** 'em.
Old 10-22-08, 05:01 PM
elTwitcho
Live without dead time

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr Wiggles
If you're at a stop, and they openly threaten to run you over when the light turns green I really don't see a difference between that and someone approaching you with a knife. The point isn't whether or not you're in the right to mace, it's the point of macing someone that's operating a vehicle...is it illegal since they're operating it?
You would have to be beside someone to mace them.

How can you be beside someone and simultaneously be in danger of them running you over?

This is a bit ridiculous...
Old 10-22-08, 05:06 PM
egads

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Isn't this a touch overboard? I mean, they're *******s, ya, but murderers? Doubtful. Lots of people utter death threats and all sorts of mean ****, that doesn't make it reasonable to put them in excruciating pain.Plus, Knives and cars are fundamentally different. The function of one is murder, the function of the other is transportation.
Old 10-22-08, 05:12 PM
bbllaakke

Bikes: Raleigh Sports, Giant Cadex, Waterford X-11, Specialized Rockhopper Comp FS, Viscount Aerospace Pro, Scwinn Passage

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by middy
Yeah, it's a messed up world.

I saw a TV show where a tribe of chimps attacked another tribe of chimps and ate their babies.

True story.
llollzolzlolzzlzollloollolz
Old 10-22-08, 05:16 PM
bbllaakke

Bikes: Raleigh Sports, Giant Cadex, Waterford X-11, Specialized Rockhopper Comp FS, Viscount Aerospace Pro, Scwinn Passage

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Bala
This week:
Monday, air horn out the window of passing car. (that's a new one)
Tuesday, garbage truck honks and guns it around me in the empty lane to my left.

Couldn't catch up to either, but from now on I'm getting license plate numbers and...well I have some ideas.
let's hear your ideas, i'm interested
Old 10-22-08, 05:23 PM
mastershake916

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by veganeric
ulock justice

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.