Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

1967 Zeus Professional

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

1967 Zeus Professional

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-09, 11:34 AM
devinfan

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 27 Posts
1967 Zeus Professional

Hi all,

This is my most recent find, a Zeus Professional that I bought from the original owner, who bought it new from International Cycle and Sports in Toronto in 1967. The gruppo is all Zeus Criterium with the exception of the shifters - he requested Campy bar end shifters at the time of purchase. It is also sporting Universal Super 68 brakes, which he insists came on the bike, even though he bought it in 1967. I have no reason to doubt him because he seemed very sharp and clear on everything else, so who knows? The paint is pretty chipped up and faded, but the painted logos (not decals) are in great shape. He upkept the bike himself, so the only things that have been changed over the past 42 years are one of the bb cups (to Campy) and the brake pads. Nothing else! It came to me without saddle or bar tape, so that is all I added. The saddle is 1962, so a little earlier than the rest of the bike, but it is suitably scuffed up so I think it works. I have temporarily added a stick on head-tube decal until I can locate an ever elusive Zeus headbadge.

I can't put into words the ride. It is so lively and responsive, by far the nicest riding bike I've ridden (even though it doesn't really look it.) It took me a day or so to get all the creaks and groans out of it, but it was nothing that couldn't be solved by tightening and oiling necessary parts.

The only mystery is the tubing. The owner knows it was Reynolds tubing. After a little research on this forum I decided it must be Reynolds "A Quality" tubing, because the Zeus seatpost is clearly marked 26.2, and I know that another member's Zeus Professional from a similar timeframe was made of Reynolds A, which from my understanding is a plain gauge Reynolds tubing that was exported to Spain and France. HOWEVER, through the very faded and thinned out paint I can clearly read on the top-tube: REYNOLDS BUTTED 9/22 A. It is etched in very fine letters so I couldn't capture it with my lousy camera, but it is very legible. I have never heard of (in my very limited experience) of a butted tube-set with a 26.2 post that is not shimmed or pinched, but there it is. There is a rectangle of bright green paint where I can tell there was a tubing decal but sadly it is gone. In any case, it weighs an astonishing (to me) 22 lbs , or even a shadow under if you look at the scale optimistically, and it goes like the wind.

I love it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_3580.jpg (102.1 KB, 570 views)
IMG_3581.jpg (84.3 KB, 248 views)
IMG_3582.jpg (96.4 KB, 321 views)
IMG_3583.jpg (89.5 KB, 276 views)
Old 03-11-09, 11:43 AM
trueno92
Building a better Strida

Bikes: bianchi brava 1988. fuji track 2007, 2006 Bianchi Pista, 1987 Miele and a strida knock off

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
wow what a great find.

when you say lively, what are you comparing this to? im having the same experience with a recent find, but am finding it hard to describe.

you need shallac'd tape in the biggest way!!
Old 03-11-09, 11:47 AM
dbakl

Bikes: Cinelli, Paramount, Raleigh, Carlton, Zeus, Gemniani, Frejus, Legnano, Pinarello, Falcon

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Checkout the CR site for a little Zeus info.

https://www.classicrendezvous.com/Spa...s_bicycles.htm

The yellow bike is mine. It was originally brown and totally rusted so it was repainted. Brakes when I got it were Universals. No wheels, so hubs are Tipos.
Attached Images
Bike_2s.jpg (2.9 KB, 824 views)
Old 03-11-09, 12:19 PM
devinfan

Originally Posted by trueno92
wow what a great find.

when you say lively, what are you comparing this to? im having the same experience with a recent find, but am finding it hard to describe.

you need shallac'd tape in the biggest way!!
Thanks dbakl! Ha ha you are so right about the shellac'd tape. Unfortunately none of my LBS's carry coloured cloth tape anymore so I will have to get it online, and I wanted to get it on the road right away. I found some I liked at the Rivendell website, but when I went to "check-out" I discovered the shipping was going to be $25! So I checked out without any tape. I am flat broke right now but maybe two paychecks form now I will be able to get some tape, the bike pretty much cleaned me out.

As to your first question, I'm not sure at all how to put it into words. The handling is very sharp and responsive, almost telekinetic. It FEELS very light on the road, and seems to want to go forward on its own. It corners at speed like its on rails, and I don't feel that I am having to put effort into leaning the bike. As to comparisons, I am comparing it to the other vintage bikes I have owned and ridden - my Legnano Gran Premio, a Pinarello Treviso I rode, a nice vintage Trek I can't remember the model, a Gitane Super Corsa, and a host of other lesser bikes. All of the nicer ones were great riders, but the Zeus is just so much fun to ride, it definitely feels different. My Legnano gets many more compliments, and people at work keep asking "Why aren't you riding the nice one?" But the Zeus is the one I love the experience of just riding. I remember thinking of my Super Corsa that I couldn't think of how anything could ever ride better, because it "disappeared" under me when I was riding, but the Zeus offers something different. It doesn't disappear, it feels like it always wants to go faster. This probably sounds a little over the top, but that's been my experience, anyway.
Old 03-11-09, 12:22 PM
devinfan

Originally Posted by dbakl
Checkout the CR site for a little Zeus info.

https://www.classicrendezvous.com/Spa...s_bicycles.htm

The yellow bike is mine. It was originally brown and totally rusted so it was repainted. Brakes when I got it were Universals. No wheels, so hubs are Tipos.
That yellow bike is yours??? I love that bike!! I have looked at it with admiration many times when I was initially trying to find a Zeus a year or two ago. What a beautiful job.
Old 03-11-09, 12:53 PM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
The fine print is actually 19/22, representing the gauges of tubes. Reynolds did have a 19/22 gauge seat tube. The wall thickness for for 22 gauge is 0.028" (0.71mm). Normally, this works out to a 27.18mm inner diameter, which is why you find many Reynolds frames with 27.0-27.2mm posts.

However, the Spanish bicycle industry adopted the French standards and used metric tubing. The outer diameter of the metric seat tube is 0.6mm smaller, making for posts of 26.4-26.6mm. Yours is just slightly under that. Maybe you didn't notice the slight pinching (it would only be about 0.4mm) or maybe they went one size under, due to slightly heavier scale build-up inside the tube.
Old 03-11-09, 01:00 PM
ricgre
Falcon Chaser

Bikes: Raleigh, Trek, Schwinn, Falcon, Specialized

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
And Zues components can be top notch. I had an English bike with those fine French components.

I as well have admided that yellow Zeus for some time.

PS - I am seeking a 26.2 seat post for a Falcon.
Old 03-11-09, 01:13 PM
dbakl

Bikes: Cinelli, Paramount, Raleigh, Carlton, Zeus, Gemniani, Frejus, Legnano, Pinarello, Falcon

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by devinfan
That yellow bike is yours??? I love that bike!! I have looked at it with admiration many times when I was initially trying to find a Zeus a year or two ago. What a beautiful job.
Yeah, I had one like yours too, but sold it in a time of desperation... The yellow idea came from a Zeus track bike I saw once.
Old 03-11-09, 01:19 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3582 Post(s)
Liked 3,395 Times in 1,929 Posts
Hi all,

This is my most recent find, a Zeus Professional that I bought from the original owner, who bought it new from International Cycle and Sports in Toronto in 1967. The gruppo is all Zeus Criterium with the exception of the shifters - he requested Campy bar end shifters at the time of purchase. It is also sporting Universal Super 68 brakes, which he insists came on the bike, even though he bought it in 1967. I have no reason to doubt him because he seemed very sharp and clear on everything else, so who knows? The paint is pretty chipped up and faded, but the painted logos (not decals) are in great shape. He upkept the bike himself, so the only things that have been changed over the past 42 years are one of the bb cups (to Campy) and the brake pads. Nothing else! It came to me without saddle or bar tape, so that is all I added. The saddle is 1962, so a little earlier than the rest of the bike, but it is suitably scuffed up so I think it works. I have temporarily added a stick on head-tube decal until I can locate an ever elusive Zeus headbadge.

I can't put into words the ride. It is so lively and responsive, by far the nicest riding bike I've ridden (even though it doesn't really look it.) It took me a day or so to get all the creaks and groans out of it, but it was nothing that couldn't be solved by tightening and oiling necessary parts.

The only mystery is the tubing. The owner knows it was Reynolds tubing. After a little research on this forum I decided it must be Reynolds "A Quality" tubing, because the Zeus seatpost is clearly marked 26.2, and I know that another member's Zeus Professional from a similar timeframe was made of Reynolds A, which from my understanding is a plain gauge Reynolds tubing that was exported to Spain and France. HOWEVER, through the very faded and thinned out paint I can clearly read on the top-tube: REYNOLDS BUTTED 9/22 A. It is etched in very fine letters so I couldn't capture it with my lousy camera, but it is very legible. I have never heard of (in my very limited experience) of a butted tube-set with a 26.2 post that is not shimmed or pinched, but there it is. There is a rectangle of bright green paint where I can tell there was a tubing decal but sadly it is gone. In any case, it weighs an astonishing (to me) 22 lbs , or even a shadow under if you look at the scale optimistically, and it goes like the wind.

I love it.
+1

That's a keeper!
Old 03-11-09, 01:20 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Originally Posted by ricgre
And Zues components can be top notch. I had an English bike with those fine French components.

I as well have admided that yellow Zeus for some time.

PS - I am seeking a 26.2 seat post for a Falcon.
Umm, except Zeus is Spanish...
Old 03-11-09, 01:54 PM
bibliobob

Bikes: '53/'54 Bianchi CDM, '62ish Altenburger Cinelli Mod B, '69 Rene Herse Competition, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '73-74 Colnago Super,, '73-74 Cinelli SC, '78ish counterfeit Confente, '82 Medici Gran Turismo, '67ish Mondia Speciale, Eddy Merckx Pro

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 257 Times in 87 Posts
I'm a little bit jealous
Old 03-11-09, 03:14 PM
devinfan

Originally Posted by T-Mar
The fine print is actually 19/22, representing the gauges of tubes. Reynolds did have a 19/22 gauge seat tube. The wall thickness for for 22 gauge is 0.028" (0.71mm). Normally, this works out to a 27.18mm inner diameter, which is why you find many Reynolds frames with 27.0-27.2mm posts.

However, the Spanish bicycle industry adopted the French standards and used metric tubing. The outer diameter of the metric seat tube is 0.6mm smaller, making for posts of 26.4-26.6mm. Yours is just slightly under that. Maybe you didn't notice the slight pinching (it would only be about 0.4mm) or maybe they went one size under, due to slightly heavier scale build-up inside the tube.
Thanks T-Mar, that makes sense. There DOES appear to be "scale build up" if that's what it is, inside the seat-tube, so maybe that exlpains it. In that case then I will assume it's Reynolds 531db because of the "butted" designation I can read on the tube.
Old 03-12-09, 07:56 AM
devinfan

Tubing mystery solved. This was a mystery of interest I'm sure to no-one but myself, but just in case there are any other Zeus Pro owners who were curious: I sent a picture to the original owner so that he could see the bike built up again, and he said that he'd remembered the decals - foil with Reynolds in an arc and "a big white 531" on them. He also said that I would have had no way of knowing, but in the past the bike had always sported orange handlebar tape " in memory of his Jaques Antuequil racer"! I thought that was kind of funny. I guess I will hunt down some of that orange cat-eye tape .
Old 03-12-09, 10:15 AM
dbakl

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Tubing mystery solved. the decals - foil with Reynolds in an arc and "a big white 531" on them.
Not really. Doesn't sound like any Reynolds decal I've seen! This is the typical Reynolds butted decal from the 60s, early 70s. I can send you one if you like!
Attached Images
531.jpg (12.7 KB, 714 views)
Old 03-12-09, 10:44 AM
rotharpunc
BEHOLD! THE MANTICORE!

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I guess I will hunt down some of that orange cat-eye tape .
I get cloth tape from a hockey equipment place. Its cheaper, seems to hold up better, and comes in every color.
Old 03-12-09, 10:52 AM
brooklyn_bike

Bikes: 3Rensho SuperRecord Export, Bridgestones MB1 RB1 XO2, Colnago Super, Medici GranTurismo, Schwinn Paramount, Olmo Competition, Raleigh Portage, Miyata 1000, Stumpjumper, Lotus Competition, Nishiki Maxima, Panasonic DX6000, Zeus Criterium

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 36 Posts
i just scored a really nice zeus mystery bike late last night from CL. couldn't find a tubing decal either. has nervex lugs though. i'll post some photos soon and get CVs feedback...
Old 03-12-09, 11:25 AM
devinfan

Not really. Doesn't sound like any Reynolds decal I've seen! This is the typical Reynolds butted decal from the 60s, early 70s. I can send you one if you like!
Thanks for the offer dbakl! Actually I have one of those decals too. I'm not sure whether or not to put it on, however, because I wish I could find the original 531 decals it had. I looked on the Reynolds history page and couldn't find anything like it either, but then again they don't have the "A Quality Tubing" decals on there either, so it could have been something just for the Spanish market? Anyhow at least I narrowed it down to butted and 531.
Old 03-12-09, 11:26 AM
devinfan

Originally Posted by brooklyn_bike
i just scored a really nice zeus mystery bike late last night from CL. couldn't find a tubing decal either. has nervex lugs though. i'll post some photos soon and get CVs feedback...
Can't wait to see it. Maybe I will start a "Show us your Zeus bikes" thread and we can get them all together.
Old 03-12-09, 03:46 PM
Night Tiger

Bikes: 1983 Cilo, 1980 Mercier, 1981 Viner

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Just out of curiosity, what kind of rims are on the bike? And is there any Spanish text on it at all?

Absolutely excellent find, by the way!
Old 03-12-09, 10:36 PM
melon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thats a great looking bike. i wouldnt be able to control myself getting a respray to restore the finish. but the patina of time has made it nice too.
Old 03-13-09, 12:23 AM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1440 Post(s)
Liked 1,055 Times in 782 Posts
just for the record, here's what a Reynolds "A Quality" decal looks like (this was on a Diamant, presumably an East German, not a Belgian Diamant)
PS, great looking Zeus!
Attached Images
ReynoldsAdecal_50s Diamant.jpg (77.0 KB, 112 views)
Old 03-13-09, 08:04 AM
dbakl

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by unworthy1
here's what a Reynolds "A Quality" decal looks like
Boxlined frame and ziptie cable clamps!

When/where was that Reynolds used? I've never seen.
Old 03-13-09, 08:12 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Boxlined frame and ziptie cable clamps!

When/where was that Reynolds used? I've never seen.
"A" tubing was a cut below 531. IIRC, it was used from the 30s through the 60s.
Old 03-13-09, 09:17 AM
bigwoo

Bikes: March [B]'71 Schwinn Sports Tourer [/B] [B]

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
It's gorgeous Devinfan! Love the Emerald Green
Old 03-13-09, 11:57 AM
devinfan

Originally Posted by Night Tiger
Just out of curiosity, what kind of rims are on the bike? And is there any Spanish text on it at all?

Absolutely excellent find, by the way!
Thanks! The rims are the original Spanish "Akront" tubular rims, laced to Zeus Criterium high flange hubs. They have lost their decals, but still have script. This is what they looked like new, if for some reason you have an interest in Spanish rims!:

https://cgi.ebay.com/RARE-VINTAGE-NOS...3A1%7C294%3A50

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.