Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Knee Compression Sleeve Support

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-17, 11:14 AM
geneg

Bikes: Cannondale BadBoy 2001, BadBoy Ultra 2005

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Looking to buy a Knee Compression Sleeve Support.

Any suggestion for 50 miles a week rider (over 60)?

Just to protect my knees.

Thanks
Old 11-14-17, 06:18 PM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
They are all over the place. Personal preference on materials and fit differences mean that what one person loves another will hate.

The good news is they are relatively cheap, so try a few, and once you find the one you like, buy a few of that exact one. (Because as soon as you find one you like, if you wait a while to purchase a replacement it either won’t be available or they will have new and improved it.)

-mr. bill
Old 11-14-17, 07:42 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3886 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
What's wrong with your knees, where's the pain, etc? I'm 72, ride 100 in winter, 150 or so in summer. Knee and other problems are always issues, and the solution to different issues is well, different.
Old 11-14-17, 08:29 PM
rodteague
Enjoying the ride

Bikes: 1986 Raleigh Technium 440, 1989 Bianchi Alante, 1991 Specialized Sirrus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
geneg

I highly recommend these folks https://www.antibodywear.com .

My experience as a ER Trauma nurse, and a strength coach for a local high school wrestling program, led me to this company. I deal with injuries on a daily basis and when my oldest son went down with a rotator cuff injury at the end of his junior year I was at a loss. I stumbled on Antibodywear during an extensive internet search. I called the owner and had a very long discussion regarding the merits of his brace and was quickly sold on his technology and enthusiasm. The list is long, on the number of athletes, both professional and amature, wearing Antibodywear braces, who's carriers have been brought back from ruin due to injury. They are the best without question. They quietly go about their business with no hype and make a truly great product. My son was looking at surgery right before his senior year( he was the #1 seed at the state tournament his junior year) and that would have been disastrous. We measured and ordered his shoulder brace prior to the season. The brace lived up to everything the company promised and he managed to place second at regions and qualify for state which would never have happened with the surgery option.

The brace supported well enough that his rotator cuff has healed to the point he passes PT without issue for ROTC and will be going active duty next year in the Army as an officer. I recommend this company all the time and have yet to hear anything negative from my friends, athletes and patients who have used Antibodywear. They are more costly than off the shelf products; but they are well worth the investment. Give them a look.

Best Regards

Rod

Last edited by rodteague; 11-14-17 at 09:56 PM.
Old 11-15-17, 10:38 AM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 1,276 Times in 706 Posts
I've heard varying degrees of success or horror stories about cycling with knee compression sleeves, ranging from Don't Do It! to Best Thing I Ever Did!... none of which struck me as being more than anecdotal. The most authoritative comment I heard came from an orthopedic surgeon who said if you are going to cycle with a knee compression sleeve absolutely make sure you get one with the open patella.
Old 11-16-17, 04:09 PM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Bikes: 1948 P. Barnard & Son, 1962 Rudge Sports, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1980 Manufrance Hirondelle, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1989 Raleigh Technium Pre, 2001 Raleigh M80

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1297 Post(s)
Liked 940 Times in 490 Posts
Not a compression sleeve, strictly-speaking, but if you need bang for the buck, Mueller makes some great braces. I have the 3333, which has hinges to stabilize your lateral ligaments and an open patella. I had to stick some foam rubber in the open back of the knee to prevent the velcro flap from chafing, but that was a simple fix.
Old 11-17-17, 08:14 AM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 818 Post(s)
Liked 1,652 Times in 779 Posts
Do you have a particular injury or condition with your knees, or are you just looking for something that may prevent one?

I have a knee that was operated on many years ago (major surgery.) To this day I cannot pivot or put side loads on that knee without pain. I've found that close attention to proper cleat setup solves any issues I had with pain while riding.