Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Odd Info about Nuts and Bolts

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-18, 07:44 PM
BikeAlmanac
BikeAlmanac

Bikes: several!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

In case you've ever wondered:

Inch-based sizing is controlled by the Society of Automotive Engineers, and sometimes inch-based sizing is referred to as "SAE." That organization sets the standards for machine parts, such as thread per inch on nuts and bolts, head sizes, and thread pitch angle (60 degrees).

You may hear a bolt referred to as 6x1 ("six by one"). That means it's outside diameter is six millimeters, and the threads are one millimeter apart.

Or, in an SAE bolt, you may come across 1/4x20 ("quarter twenty") which a quarter-inch in outside diameter, and has twenty threads per inch.

Metric nuts and bolts also use 60 degree angles, except for the Italian standard, which is 55 degrees.

55 degrees was also used in an old British standard called "Whitworth" or "British Standard Five," also known as "BSW" and "BS5." Most Whitworth wrench sizes are not interchangeable with SAE. In Whitworth, nuts and bolt heads are 5/3 of the major diameter of the bolt. You'll only find Whitworth nuts and bolts on old bicycles made in the United Kingdom.
Old 02-23-18, 01:33 AM
cpach

Bikes: Too many. Giant Trance X 29, Surly Midnight Special get the most time.

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 236 Posts
Dude, stop spamming the forum with random unsolicited information. This is a discussion forum and your post is not formulated to create a conversation.
Old 02-23-18, 01:56 AM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4373 Post(s)
Liked 1,551 Times in 1,016 Posts
Originally Posted by BikeAlmanac
In case you've ever wondered:

Inch-based sizing is controlled by the Society of Automotive Engineers, and sometimes inch-based sizing is referred to as "SAE." That organization sets the standards for machine parts, such as thread per inch on nuts and bolts, head sizes, and thread pitch angle (60 degrees).

You may hear a bolt referred to as 6x1 ("six by one"). That means it's outside diameter is six millimeters, and the threads are one millimeter apart.

Or, in an SAE bolt, you may come across 1/4x20 ("quarter twenty") which a quarter-inch in outside diameter, and has twenty threads per inch.

Metric nuts and bolts also use 60 degree angles, except for the Italian standard, which is 55 degrees.

55 degrees was also used in an old British standard called "Whitworth" or "British Standard Five," also known as "BSW" and "BS5." Most Whitworth wrench sizes are not interchangeable with SAE. In Whitworth, nuts and bolt heads are 5/3 of the major diameter of the bolt. You'll only find Whitworth nuts and bolts on old bicycles made in the United Kingdom.
"Did you know the human head weighs eight pounds?"

- Jerry Maguire
Old 02-23-18, 02:21 AM
02Giant 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1638 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 495 Posts
Originally Posted by Kontact
"Did you know the human head weighs eight pounds?"

- Jerry Maguire
Maybe I should stop calling people air-heads.
Old 02-23-18, 03:35 AM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

Bikes: 3 Chinese Gas Pipe Nerdcycles and 2 Chicago Electroforged Boat Anchors

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 2358 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 26 Posts

Yawn.........
Old 02-23-18, 06:43 AM
jj1091
Mike J

Bikes: 1975 Peugeot PX-50L, 1971 Peugeot PX-10, 1974 Peugeot PX-8

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
All of this sort of info you post can be found on Sheldon Brown's site, an already-existing sort of Bike Almanac. It's not helpful in the form you present, since you're providing info in want of an audience. It's like going into a park and doing handstands hoping people will be amazed. They won't, they'll just see you as annoying.
Old 02-23-18, 06:51 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3662 Post(s)
Liked 5,408 Times in 2,747 Posts
+100
Old 02-23-18, 07:03 AM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 818 Post(s)
Liked 1,652 Times in 779 Posts
You may find this useful as well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Bolt Chart.jpg (641.7 KB, 240 views)
Old 02-23-18, 07:48 AM
MePoocho
Always Learning

Bikes: Very Upgraded Denali 63.5cm

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bald Paul
Gotta put this on the wall next to my drill press for 'quick reference'. I've been dig'n everywhere for a guide like this. You are out of luck OP.
Old 02-23-18, 07:51 AM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked 629 Times in 472 Posts
"For holes countersunk wrong side"

Finally!
Old 02-23-18, 08:52 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Prestripped for easy overtorquing LoL.

That graphic is pretty funny.
Old 02-23-18, 10:55 AM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 658 Times in 371 Posts
Thanks, you just salvaged this thread.
Old 02-23-18, 11:27 AM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

It's very funny, and very sad, that I am familiar with too many of those special requirements.
Old 02-23-18, 11:42 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Originally Posted by SquidPuppet
It's very funny, and very sad, that I am familiar with too many of those special requirements.
As are most of us.
Old 02-23-18, 12:33 PM
cny-bikeman
Mechanic/Tourist

Bikes: 2008 Novara Randonee - love it. Previous bikes:Motobecane Mirage, 1972 Moto Grand Jubilee (my fave), Jackson Rake 16, 1983 C'dale ST500.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
I guess I'm no longer looking like a troll by initially questioning the value of the OP's posts.
Old 02-23-18, 12:36 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Originally Posted by cny-bikeman
I guess I'm no longer looking like a troll by initially questioning the value of the OP's posts.
1. You never did appear to be a troll.
2. Lots of us agree with your assessment.
Old 02-23-18, 01:42 PM
bikingbrit

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
55 degrees was also used in an old British standard called "Whitworth" or "British Standard Five," also known as "BSW" and "BS5."
Balderdash! I think you are confused with "British Standard Fine" (BSF) which was a fine thread version of Whitworth.
Old 02-23-18, 02:18 PM
wheelreason

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked 626 Times in 370 Posts
Wait, SAE and metric are different? Maybe the Earth IS flat...
Old 02-23-18, 02:34 PM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 658 Times in 371 Posts
It occurs to me that the OP is getting beat up here because he tried to short cut the usual route to credibility. Had he joined the forum to participate and share his knowledge by answering questions, he could have put a link to his web site in his signature line and driven traffic to it
Others on here have done this, and we don't beat up on them.
Old 02-23-18, 05:41 PM
gsa103

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito (Celeste, of course)

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan Burkhart
It occurs to me that the OP is getting beat up here because he tried to short cut the usual route to credibility. Had he joined the forum to participate and share his knowledge by answering questions, he could have put a link to his web site in his signature line and driven traffic to it
Others on here have done this, and we don't beat up on them.
Correct, and had he done that, he would probably be lauded and welcomed.

Instead he's basically just spamming basic or largely irrelevant information trying to drive web traffic. This is targeted click-bait, nothing more. If he wants to refine and become a contributing member, there's nothing wrong with driving traffic to his site. But this is just spam.

I've seen nothing in his posts that would lead me to conclude that his site is a better source of bike information than wikipedia, let alone an actual source like Park Tool or Sheldon Brown.
Old 02-23-18, 08:30 PM
Ghrumpy

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by gsa103
Correct, and had he done that, he would probably be lauded and welcomed.

Instead he's basically just spamming basic or largely irrelevant information trying to drive web traffic. This is targeted click-bait, nothing more. If he wants to refine and become a contributing member, there's nothing wrong with driving traffic to his site. But this is just spam.

I've seen nothing in his posts that would lead me to conclude that his site is a better source of bike information than wikipedia, let alone an actual source like Park Tool or Sheldon Brown.
While they are both good, they are far from infallible. I'd consider Park Tool and Sheldon Brown to be secondary or even tertiary sources, no offense. (I've found a few errors on Sheldon's site over the years.) Wikipedia at least provides bibliographies and sources to allow its content to be checked, and it can be corrected.

But back to Mr. Almanac. Cursory searches will show much of the information in his post to be incomplete, if not inaccurate. Allow me to offer some corrections and clarifications, which you are free to quote me on at your own risk:

Not exactly. Standards organizations do not "control" anything. They are collaborative, collative organizations that consult with companies and other organizations to compile and arrive at agreed-upon standards, based on what is in common use and suits engineering needs. They accredit standards but have no enforcement power.

The Sellers thread was the "original" American thread standard, presented in 1864. It had a 60° included angle, with flattened roots and tops. It was the basis of the USS standard thread. The SAE standard came later, and was the finer pitch version of the USS standard thread. The needs of automobile engineering precipitated the finer pitches of the SAE series.
The American SAE and USS standards were merged into and superseded by the Unified Thread series accepted by Canadian, British, and American standards organizations after WWII. The "SAE" designation is as obsolete as the "USS" designation, though its use persists. The ANSI is now the arbiter of the Unified Thread series in the USA. They are known as Unified National Coarse, Fine, and Extra Fine (UNC, UNF, and UNEF.)
Factually correct but incomplete. The measurement unit is important, especially since there is a Unified series #6 screw size.
And "it's" is a contraction of "it is" not a possessive form of "it."

No. A 1/4" x 20tpi screw or bolt would be USS series, as it's a coarse pitch. The "SAE" would be 1/4" x 28tpi. But see above.
And honestly, nobody I've ever known refers to such a screw or bolt as a "quarter twenty." Better to call it "one quarter by twenty tpi."

Again, factually correct, but incomplete.
The Whitworth standard was proposed in 1841. Italian standard cycle threads use the Whitworth thread form but none of the sizes interchange with any British ones, because Italians used metric diameters with threads-per-inch pitches. That is why, for example, Campagnolo headsets in Italian thread read "25.4 x 24F" instead of "1" x 24tpi" as the BSC ones do. Different thread forms, same nominal size and pitch.

55 degrees was also used in an old British standard called "Whitworth" or "British Standard Five," also known as "BSW" and "BS5."
It's not "British Standard Five" or "BS5," it's "British Standard FINE" or BSF.

Most Whitworth wrench sizes are not interchangeable with SAE. In Whitworth, nuts and bolt heads are 5/3 of the major diameter of the bolt. You'll only find Whitworth nuts and bolts on old bicycles made in the United Kingdom.
Whitworth fasteners are too coarse to be useful for bicycle applications. So you will not likely ever find a Whitworth threaded parts even on British bicycles. Maybe a BSF, or even a BA (British Association) screw.
Because the Whitworth series were unsuited to bicycle needs, the CEI (Cycle Engineers Institute) standardized British bicycle threads in 1901, using the 60° "Sellers" thread angle, but with "Whitworth" rounded roots and tops, and the cycle industry adopted them pretty quickly (with few exceptions, Raleigh retaining their proprietary BB and headset threads until the bitter end.) Head sizes were not specified, because most threaded bicycle fittings are not nuts and bolts. So only the diameters and pitches were part of the standard. When CEI/BSC standard nuts and bolts exist, they tended to follow the Whitworth across-flats sizes as that's what people had in their toolboxes.
Eventually in 1908 the Fine series was added with the Whitworth thread form but the CEI standards were already in near-universal use by then, and the BSF series offered no advantage that made it worth changing the whole industry over to them.
Those CEI standards were updated and revised after WWII and renamed BSC (British Standard Cycle.) They have a 60° included angle, same as ISO and Unified thread fasteners, but with a slightly different thread form.
Old 02-23-18, 09:01 PM
gsa103

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito (Celeste, of course)

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by Ghrumpy
And honestly, nobody I've ever known refers to such a screw or bolt as a "quarter twenty." Better to call it "one quarter by twenty tpi."
I work in the optics industry. "Quarter twenty" is the standard terminology for a 1/4"-20 thread, which is the typical American thread pattern for an optical table. It's probably an industry specific thing.

Metric tables use M6x1 on a 25mm pattern. US tables are 1/4"-20 on a 1" pattern. And that 0.4mm difference is a NIGHTMARE!
Old 02-23-18, 09:11 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2744 Post(s)
Liked 3,390 Times in 2,053 Posts
Originally Posted by Ghrumpy
Honestly everybody I know and deal with calls it a "quarter twenty" or half thirteen or whatever, including the fastener vendors. If I'm ordering I'm saying, "Give me 500 half thirteen by 3" 304SS hex head cap screws" and get exactly that delivered.
Old 02-23-18, 10:08 PM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

Old 02-23-18, 10:31 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by SquidPuppet
Got any soda pop to go with that popcorn?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.