Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

BMC Warranty Experiences?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 08-07-18, 03:24 PM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 94 Posts

My BMC TeamMachine SLR01 Disc frame self destructed. My LBS said, "That's definitely a warranty claim. The frame shouldn't do that under any circumstances. BMC will replace the frame. Bring it in." The problem is in the area of the beautiful, but problematic, hidden seatpost clamp. I took it in.

Fast forward 3 days. LBS has been "discussing" the issue with BMC for two days. That seems a little less than positive to me. So . . .

Does anyone here have experience dealing with a frame warranty from BMC? How were they do deal with? Should I expect a hassle or any surprises?
Old 08-07-18, 03:51 PM
chainwhip

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked 135 Times in 84 Posts
The problem is in the area of the beautiful, but problematic, hidden seatpost clamp.

Beautiful bike.
Not in a price range where the shop would want to alienate the customer.

Other than BF, is there internet buzz about the clamp area on this model frame?
Old 08-07-18, 04:04 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1813 Post(s)
Liked 1,691 Times in 972 Posts
I think that it is premature for you to worry. The "discussions" are probably more about what the distributor has in stock, whether the new frame has any compatibility issues with your current setup, and how quickly they can ship out a frame and how fast the shop can build it up. There might also be minor issues about compensation to the shop for their time
I think that it is a bit soon to worry
Lets say that your bike is a colour that you really, really like. Maybe the distributor doesn't have a replacement in stock. I don't know how BMC does things in the US. If they mainly sell complete bikes, they may not have many bare frames in stock. This can pose problems in a case like yours. Maybe you should ask the shop about the "discussions" that have been going on

Last edited by alcjphil; 08-07-18 at 04:08 PM.
Old 08-08-18, 01:54 AM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 425 Post(s)
Liked 452 Times in 311 Posts
I tried to warranty a cracked proprietary seat post that had failed from normal torque and couldn't even get a crash replacement price from BMC.
Old 08-08-18, 05:21 AM
em_525

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I was successful in getting a BMC Team Machine SLR01 warrantied, but it took a bit of back and forth and it wasn't a fun process. That's the only experience I've had with BMC but compared to other companies I've had to warranty things on, they were a bit difficult imo.
Old 08-08-18, 08:07 AM
Esthetic

Bikes: 2019 Felt FR2 Etap Disc*2017 Wilier Cento10Air Ramato Etap*2020 Trek Domane SL6**2018 Trek ProCaliber 8

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 10 Posts
Hopefully its sorted out soon.

Being an 02 grade owner, kind of felt going any lighter to 01 grade comes with compromises somewhere for that weight savings since its a more raceday oriented build. I'm not quite the lightest rider at 195lbs.
Old 08-08-18, 08:17 AM
chainwhip

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked 135 Times in 84 Posts
Flash-
If things don't proceed to your liking, perhaps a link to this thread sent to BMC's Director of Social Media might be useful.

Last edited by chainwhip; 08-08-18 at 08:26 AM.
Old 08-09-18, 12:41 PM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

Follow up . . . I think my LBS really went to bat for me. BMC is replacing the frame. My LBS is going the extra mile to make sure everything turns out the way I hope. It's going to take some time but, between BMC and my LBS, it appears that everything is coming together very well. Fortunately, I'm racing my TT bike twice in the next four weeks. I wouldn't have been on the TeamMachine much in those four weeks, anyway.

Hopefully, by mid-September, this story will have a happy conclusion.
Likes For FlashBazbo:
Old 08-09-18, 01:51 PM
Noctilux.95

Bikes: Bianchi Oltre XR4 Celeste, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Giant TCR SL, Giant Revolt Advanced Revolt 0 Gravel Bike, Trek Madone SLR, Cervelo R5 Disk

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked 124 Times in 65 Posts
Being Swiss, they are very neutral
Old 08-09-18, 02:49 PM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

Originally Posted by Noctilux.95
Being Swiss, they are very neutral
Yes, but they also own automatic weapons.
Old 08-09-18, 03:23 PM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
Interesting. I recently had a similar experience with getting Campy to warrant a shifter. Took a lot of back and forth by my LBS but they finally honored their warranty.

Say what you will about Specialized (and I don't like their intellectual property litigation practices), I have several friends who've had to make warranty claims with Specialized and they all had completely painless experiences.

Wait a minute -- BMC is Swiss, Campy is Italian. The Swiss Guard has served as the Pope's bodyguard for centuries. Pope Sixtus IV, who began using Swiss mercenaries in the 1470s, also built the Sistine Chapel. Michelangelo finished painting the Sistine Chapel in 1512. 15 plus 12 = 27. 27 is the atomic number of Cobalt. "Cobalt" was the name of a Fear the Walking Dead episode. Leading actress Kim Dickens played the character Sarah Kennedy in the 2000 action/horror film Hollow Man with co-star...

wait for it...

Kevin Bacon.

Need I say more?
Likes For ksryder:
Old 08-09-18, 03:52 PM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

Originally Posted by ksryder
Say what you will about Specialized (and I don't like their intellectual property litigation practices), I have several friends who've had to make warranty claims with Specialized and they all had completely painless experiences.
Okay, I will say what I will about Specialized. I was a hard core Specialized customer for decades. Then, about 6 or 7 years ago, my new S-Works Tarmac started steering funny. It wouldn't pivot smoothly from one side to the other. The bike was less than 30 days old so I dismantled the steering for inspection. I found that the headset was corroded as if it were raw carbon steel (which it probably was) left in sea water or Coca Cola until it became badly corroded and pitted. The bearing was ruined. Bad deal on a new bike that had never seen rain (or flooding). I pulled the headset and carried it to my LBS. They called in the claim and Specialized denied the claim . . . because the dealer hadn't removed the headset. They offered to reconsider, but only if I drove the 50 miles home, reinstalled the headset, then loaded up the bike and brought it back the 50 miles to my dealer, let the dealer re-remove the headset, let the dealer submit the claim (either using photos or, possibly, by mailing the headset in for evaluation), wait for the processing of the claim, then pay the dealer for removing and replacing the headset (which would have exceeded the cost of the headset by a multiple). Heck, the gasoline driving the 100-mile round trip would have cost more than the headset! Specialized knew I wouldn't go to the trouble.

So I bought a headset and took it home. Problem solved. (But I kicked my long term semi-annual S-Works purchase habit.)

Last edited by FlashBazbo; 08-09-18 at 04:03 PM.
Old 08-09-18, 04:29 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 1,001 Posts
Originally Posted by FlashBazbo
Okay, I will say what I will about Specialized. I was a hard core Specialized customer for decades. Then, about 6 or 7 years ago, my new S-Works Tarmac started steering funny. It wouldn't pivot smoothly from one side to the other. The bike was less than 30 days old so I dismantled the steering for inspection. I found that the headset was corroded as if it were raw carbon steel (which it probably was) left in sea water or Coca Cola until it became badly corroded and pitted. The bearing was ruined. Bad deal on a new bike that had never seen rain (or flooding). I pulled the headset and carried it to my LBS. They called in the claim and Specialized denied the claim . . . because the dealer hadn't removed the headset. They offered to reconsider, but only if I drove the 50 miles home, reinstalled the headset, then loaded up the bike and brought it back the 50 miles to my dealer, let the dealer re-remove the headset, let the dealer submit the claim (either using photos or, possibly, by mailing the headset in for evaluation), wait for the processing of the claim, then pay the dealer for removing and replacing the headset (which would have exceeded the cost of the headset by a multiple). Heck, the gasoline driving the 100-mile round trip would have cost more than the headset! Specialized knew I wouldn't go to the trouble.

So I bought a headset and took it home. Problem solved. (But I kicked my long term semi-annual S-Works purchase habit.)
So why didn't the LBS have enough of a clue to tell Spesh that they dismantled it.. especially as they were telling you to go home and reinstall and return again to them? Just a really odd story IMO.
Old 08-09-18, 04:53 PM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
I am lucky that my local bike shop is a Trek Corporate Store. The head mechanic is from Trek, Wisconsin. When my bottom bracket blew up, he was able to get me a $4,000.00 refund towards another frame or bike.
Old 08-10-18, 11:32 AM
nesposito

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 10 Posts
I had a VERY good experience with a BMC warranty claim. I had a 2014 SLR02. Following a Saturday morning ride i noticed what looked like chipped clear coat on the back of my seat tube but thought it may be a crack. I drove my bike down to the dealer who took photos and emailed them to BMC but said we wouldn't hear til the following week being it was Saturday. I was really concerned with what the reaction would be. While at lunch on Monday I got a call from the shop that BMC had reviewed the photos and was shipping a new frame that would be in Phoenix later that week. I did have to pay $150 for the shop to swap all components which I had no problem with. Not only did i have a bike to ride the following weekend but the frameset was one year newer model than the one that had cracked. I have nothing but praise for the way it was handled and I'm still riding that same frameset two years later.
Old 08-10-18, 12:13 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Originally Posted by nesposito
I had a VERY good experience with a BMC warranty claim. I had a 2014 SLR02. Following a Saturday morning ride i noticed what looked like chipped clear coat on the back of my seat tube but thought it may be a crack. I drove my bike down to the dealer who took photos and emailed them to BMC but said we wouldn't hear til the following week being it was Saturday. I was really concerned with what the reaction would be. While at lunch on Monday I got a call from the shop that BMC had reviewed the photos and was shipping a new frame that would be in Phoenix later that week. I did have to pay $150 for the shop to swap all components which I had no problem with. Not only did i have a bike to ride the following weekend but the frameset was one year newer model than the one that had cracked. I have nothing but praise for the way it was handled and I'm still riding that same frameset two years later.
Sounds like a better experience than OP who has to wait a month for a new frame.. then again maybe the wait is because like you, he'll get a 2019 model frame as they're all out of 2018s?
Old 09-05-18, 04:14 PM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

FOLLOW UP: We are almost a month into this. (The wait is no big deal because, in the last 3 weeks, I've had two triathlons. I've spent the month almost exclusively on my TT bike.) I go pick up the bike tomorrow afternoon and, if everything is as it's supposed to be, I will be a happy customer. But my happiness is very much due to extra measures taken by my LBS.

With BMC, if you have an approved frame warranty claim, BMC sends your dealer a frameset out of their "warranty frame inventory." The "warranty frame inventory" consists of framesets that are officially designated for warranty replacements. Color choices are limited. If it had been left strictly to BMC, they would have sent me a 2018 frameset in black and silver -- the only color available in "warranty frame inventory" -- my least favorite color and certainly no substitute (in my eyes) for the Team Red of my original frameset.

My dealer intervened. He ordered a 2019 bike in my choice of color and is transferring my components to the new 2019 frameset. I'm not sure how he's going to even things up, but I'm very happy with his solution. (And he will be selling me a new gravel bike as a result.) A good LBS is a valuable thing.

Last edited by FlashBazbo; 09-05-18 at 04:17 PM.
Old 09-05-18, 06:02 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Sounds like a better experience than OP who has to wait a month for a new frame.. then again maybe the wait is because like you, he'll get a 2019 model frame as they're all out of 2018s?
My dealer intervened. He ordered a 2019 bike in my choice of color and is transferring my components to the new 2019 frameset. I'm not sure how he's going to even things up, but I'm very happy with his solution. (And he will be selling me a new gravel bike as a result.) A good LBS is a valuable thing.
Nailed it! Way to go
Old 09-05-18, 10:16 PM
raria

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Glad it all worked out for you. But ...

This is one reason I'm really hesitant to buy a super expensive frameset. The company's handling of warranties don't fill me with confidence and would leave a bad taste in my mouth.

Given its highly unlikely that such specific damage was caused by a crash I'm surprised they made you and your LBS work for the warranty claim. It's also a bit of a shame you had to work to get the red frame color replacement.

That's a $5,000 frameset isn't it? For that price I'd expect an exact replacement with no messing about.

But really happy for you it worked out so well.

My BMC TeamMachine SLR01 Disc frame self destructed. My LBS said, "That's definitely a warranty claim. The frame shouldn't do that under any circumstances. BMC will replace the frame. Bring it in." The problem is in the area of the beautiful, but problematic, hidden seatpost clamp. I took it in.

Fast forward 3 days. LBS has been "discussing" the issue with BMC for two days. That seems a little less than positive to me. So . . .

Does anyone here have experience dealing with a frame warranty from BMC? How were they do deal with? Should I expect a hassle or any surprises?

Last edited by raria; 09-06-18 at 08:04 AM.
Old 09-06-18, 07:17 AM
JasonD67

Bikes: BMC Teammachine SLR02 Disc, Cannondale CAAD 4

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 10 Posts
This thread makes it much less likely that my new bike will be a BMC.
Old 09-09-18, 04:53 PM
Shuffleman

Bikes: Colnago CLX,GT Karakoram,Giant Revel, Kona Honk_ Tonk

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by JasonD67
This thread makes it much less likely that my new bike will be a BMC.
It is very rare for bike frames to go bad. It happens but it is rare. If you look hard enough you will find good and bad warranty situations from all the major companies. Personally, I never worry much about a bike companies warranty. It would suck to be on the bad end of one but the odds are not likely.
Old 10-12-19, 04:29 PM
evansWV

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Given my good experience so far, I was compelled to contribute to this forum. My Roadmachine 02 frame cracked during regular use. I took it down to my friendly, local bike shop. They examined the damage and called in a warranty replacement. The process took about 14 days from them contacting BMC to receiving the brand new frame. As reported here or elsewhere, the frames are pulled from back stock. As a result, you may not get the same color, but it will be brand-new and of the same or better quality. The key point is to have the bicycle shop staff lean on BMC to provide a credit for the labor involved in the components switch which they sometimes, but not always, will do.

Cheers, E
Likes For evansWV:
Old 10-12-19, 08:23 PM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
Originally Posted by evansWV
Given my good experience so far, I was compelled to contribute to this forum. My Roadmachine 02 frame cracked during regular use. I took it down to my friendly, local bike shop. They examined the damage and called in a warranty replacement. The process took about 14 days from them contacting BMC to receiving the brand new frame. As reported here or elsewhere, the frames are pulled from back stock. As a result, you may not get the same color, but it will be brand-new and of the same or better quality. The key point is to have the bicycle shop staff lean on BMC to provide a credit for the labor involved in the components switch which they sometimes, but not always, will do.

Cheers, E
Glad things worked out for you. How did you happen to come upon the crack?
Old 10-12-19, 09:14 PM
UsedToBeFaster

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts
Exactly

If its so rare just make the customer whole.

Some of these bikes cost as much as a newish car after all.

Originally Posted by Shuffleman

It is very rare for bike frames to go bad. It happens but it is rare. If you look hard enough you will find good and bad warranty situations from all the major companies. Personally, I never worry much about a bike companies warranty. It would suck to be on the bad end of one but the odds are not likely.
Likes For UsedToBeFaster:
Old 10-15-19, 07:42 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,279 Times in 739 Posts
Originally Posted by ksryder
Interesting. I recently had a similar experience with getting Campy to warrant a shifter. Took a lot of back and forth by my LBS but they finally honored their warranty.

Wait a minute -- BMC is Swiss, Campy is Italian. The Swiss Guard has served as the Pope's bodyguard for centuries. Pope Sixtus IV, who began using Swiss mercenaries in the 1470s, also built the Sistine Chapel. Michelangelo finished painting the Sistine Chapel in 1512. 15 plus 12 = 27. 27 is the atomic number of Cobalt. "Cobalt" was the name of a Fear the Walking Dead episode. Leading actress Kim Dickens played the character Sarah Kennedy in the 2000 action/horror film Hollow Man with co-star...

wait for it...

Kevin Bacon.

Need I say more?
I'll have what you're smoking. Please send to Lewis Carroll...1 Toadstool Rd.....Wonderland.
Likes For bruce19:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.