Search
Notices
Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling Do you enjoy centuries, double centuries, brevets, randonnees, and 24-hour time trials? Share ride reports, and exchange training, equipment, and nutrition information specific to long distance cycling. This isn't for tours, this is for endurance events cycling

3rd woman ever

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-19, 12:39 PM
Grishnak

Bikes: Ridgeback Steel Tourer,Recumbent SWB,Steel Road,,Raleigh Twenty,Elephant Bike,Pashley Pronto TNT.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
3rd woman ever

https://road.cc/content/news/265816-...st-paris-fixie

Last edited by Grishnak; 08-24-19 at 12:42 PM. Reason: Pound sign instead of 3
Old 08-25-19, 10:12 PM
StephenH
Uber Goober

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
I'm actually kind of surprised that anyone would know how many women have done PBP on fixed gear, as I assume there are no official records of who rode what bike and when.
Old 09-02-19, 01:04 AM
Grishnak

Bikes: Ridgeback Steel Tourer,Recumbent SWB,Steel Road,,Raleigh Twenty,Elephant Bike,Pashley Pronto TNT.

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by StephenH
I'm actually kind of surprised that anyone would know how many women have done PBP on fixed gear, as I assume there are no official records of who rode what bike and when.
I think they log everything.I`m just not sure where the records are online.
Old 09-02-19, 02:40 AM
atwl77
Kamen Rider

Bikes: Fuji Transonic Elite, Marechal Soul Ultimate, Dahon Dash Altena

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 164 Posts
Certainly not the ACP. Unless they had someone who's job was to (secretly) observe and record everyone's bike during the bike check, the only options you had when registering for PBP were:
- Bicycle
- Tandem
- Triplet
- Trike
- Special Bike
Old 09-02-19, 06:37 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,696 Times in 2,517 Posts
they don't keep track of this and i doubt she was the 3rd woman ever.
Old 09-02-19, 12:04 PM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
they don't keep track of this and i doubt she was the 3rd woman ever.
Well yeah, before about 1930 just about everyone was riding a single speed bike, many of them fixed. I don't know how many women did PBP back then but I think it safe guess that there were a few who did.
Old 09-03-19, 11:34 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3886 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
I don't really care if she was 3rd or not. OTOH, I care a great deal that this feat is featured in the media. I also care about the denigration of her feat which I observe here. I don't suppose anyone has noticed that the big tennis news in the media these days is women's tennis? How long has that been the case, eh? Or women's soccer news? How 'bout that female placekicker, Lloyd ? She's not the first woman to ever kick a field goal, just the first one to get national notice. The news isn't that she can kick. The news is that we know that. Same with this fixed rider. We know she did it. That's news.

What's not new is the denigration. That's still around.
Old 09-03-19, 01:35 PM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
I don't really care if she was 3rd or not. OTOH, I care a great deal that this feat is featured in the media. I also care about the denigration of her feat which I observe here. I don't suppose anyone has noticed that the big tennis news in the media these days is women's tennis? How long has that been the case, eh? Or women's soccer news? How 'bout that female placekicker, Lloyd ? She's not the first woman to ever kick a field goal, just the first one to get national notice. The news isn't that she can kick. The news is that we know that. Same with this fixed rider. We know she did it. That's news.

What's not new is the denigration. That's still around.
Hmm... . Seems to me women's tennis has been in the news since I was a kid, and the only one I remember denigrating it was Bobby Riggs.

Who's denigrating the woman who did PBP on fixed gear?
Old 09-03-19, 02:45 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,696 Times in 2,517 Posts
yes, absolutely no denigration here at all. Finishing PBP on a fixed gear is an accomplishment. As is finishing it on a geared bike. I think I'm more impressed by Sophie Matter finishing on her commuter though.
Old 09-03-19, 03:14 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
I thought I'd replied to this thread, but it was the copy in SS/FG: https://www.bikeforums.net/singlespe...oman-ever.html Cool article at the end of the thread about Eleanor, her bike, and some of the challenges she faced along the way.

Originally Posted by unterhausen
yes, absolutely no denigration here at all. Finishing PBP on a fixed gear is an accomplishment. As is finishing it on a geared bike. I think I'm more impressed by Sophie Matter finishing on her commuter though.
+1. Any excuses I might have about my bike being too heavy, or my kit not aero enough, or whatever, go out the window when I remember she did it on a Dutch bike, sitting upright, with flappy clothes. What an inspiration!

People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 09-03-19, 04:39 PM
GadgetGirlIL

Bikes: 2003 Litespeed Vortex, 2017 All-City Mr. Pink, ~1997 Trek Multitrack 700

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 57 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
I thought I'd replied to this thread, but it was the copy in SS/FG: https://www.bikeforums.net/singlespe...oman-ever.html Cool article at the end of the thread about Eleanor, her bike, and some of the challenges she faced along the way.

+1. Any excuses I might have about my bike being too heavy, or my kit not aero enough, or whatever, go out the window when I remember she did it on a Dutch bike, sitting upright, with flappy clothes. What an inspiration!

And best of all, look how happy and relaxed she is! She is just out for a pleasant jaunt through the countryside. She is my hero!
Old 09-05-19, 08:53 PM
k7baixo

Bikes: Bacchetta CA2.0

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
When you think about the number of recreational riders and the number who have ridden a 1200, it’s a tiny, tiny percentage. Because it’s common-place in our circles, it’s easy to forget what a feat it is on any bike much less something we consider...inferior!

We were on a club ride Saturday and we came to an intersection and a decision. One way led us around Mummy Mt, the other way took us up Mummy Mt. While making a decision, Anne, our 81 year old, 4-time senior Olympic national gold metal winner rode by us, and up towards the mountain.

*That* was enough to motivate us to follow her. Lol