Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Dork disc

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway
View Poll Results: Keep dork disc or remove it
Keep it
16.41%
Remove it
83.59%
Voters: 128. You may not vote on this poll

Dork disc

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-19, 06:25 PM
Duragrouch

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 726 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 323 Posts
Originally Posted by hagak
Sounds more like you need to fix your RD, most likely just the limit screws, but you could have a something bent or loose. I shift my gears extremely fast under load and never had this issue as do many many other riders.
It's a cheap derailleur, plus works worse because a Dahon "compact" derailleur mounted further forward. Even where the limit screws are right now, it shifts with difficulty into the big cog. Because the cogs are not real hyperglide but a super cheap copy without good ramps.

I ran my '89 Cannondale road with early 105 7 speed with no hyperglide for years with no dork disc. But cheaper systems are less tolerant. The dork disc is there for a reason.

I just overhauled a Litespeed road for a friend, the wheels have PBO (ultra high strength plastic) spokes. Really expensive to replace, and not carried locally. I put on a very unobtrusive dork disc, completely clear, barely visable.
Old 10-08-19, 07:25 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10153 Post(s)
Liked 5,849 Times in 3,150 Posts
Originally Posted by Duragrouch

I just overhauled a Litespeed road for a friend, the wheels have PBO (ultra high strength plastic) spokes. Really expensive to replace, and not carried locally. I put on a very unobtrusive dork disc, completely clear, barely visable.
Wow. Do the spokes have a cover to protect them from UV and moisture? That’s a big concern with PBO rigging on boats.
Old 10-08-19, 07:51 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
Wow. Do the spokes have a cover to protect them from UV and moisture? That’s a big concern with PBO rigging on boats.
Maybe he only rides at night.
Old 10-09-19, 10:05 AM
Duragrouch

They do have a plastic sheath covering the PBO fibers. What is a pain is the spoke nipples are a bastard configuration, requiring a special Park Tool wrench, which I have not yet obtained. But the wheels were dead true. Which probably speaks well of the spokes.

I also sail. The new high tech rigging appears great, not only to reduce weight aloft, but on boats I have seen using AmSteel and such (not quite as strong as PBO, only about 7X the strength of steel by weight instead of 10X like PBO), instead of turnbuckles, it appears they tension the lines by running through multiple purchase using simple rings. Thus, they are easily replaced at sea from a bulk spool of the stuff, without the need for swaging equipment or having shrouds already swaged to length. And that also makes it more economical.
Old 10-09-19, 10:11 AM
Duragrouch

Originally Posted by GlennR
Maybe he only rides at night.
So far, he doesn't ride it at all! I picked up the bike for a song late last fall for a friend (saw it while looking for a bike for his daughter), was a great deal because the seller was in a remote part of the state, we couldn't pass it up. I did a complete overhaul (for free) just because I couldn't stand such a work of art to be anything less than pristine, and he has yet to ride it! I told him if he ever doesn't want it, I'd take it off his hands. These days I don't ride road bikes with skinny tires, I need a townie with lots of panniers, but I would hang it up just to look at it, sculpture.
Old 10-09-19, 10:18 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Reynolds
Remove it, except if it's one of these:
I don't know Campy made steering wheels.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 10-09-19, 11:43 AM
MoAlpha
• —

They do have a plastic sheath covering the PBO fibers. What is a pain is the spoke nipples are a bastard configuration, requiring a special Park Tool wrench, which I have not yet obtained. But the wheels were dead true. Which probably speaks well of the spokes.

I also sail. The new high tech rigging appears great, not only to reduce weight aloft, but on boats I have seen using AmSteel and such (not quite as strong as PBO, only about 7X the strength of steel by weight instead of 10X like PBO), instead of turnbuckles, it appears they tension the lines by running through multiple purchase using simple rings. Thus, they are easily replaced at sea from a bulk spool of the stuff, without the need for swaging equipment or having shrouds already swaged to length. And that also makes it more economical.
I have wire, big, fat, 13mm wire on my uppers. I'll probably replace my lifelines with dyneema fairly soon.
Old 10-09-19, 06:41 PM
Wileyrat

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix, 1983 Team Fuji, 2019 Marin Nail Trail 6

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 225 Times in 136 Posts
Just bought a new mtn bike a couple of weeks ago. It's had two shakeout rides now, and after the second ride it became dork disc free.

Whomever set it up at the factory did a good job of adjusting the limit screws ( Sram NX).
Old 10-09-19, 10:01 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Call it an aero-disk,

& make it from carbon fiber....
Old 10-14-19, 11:46 AM
Duragrouch

I have wire, big, fat, 13mm wire on my uppers. I'll probably replace my lifelines with dyneema fairly soon.
Keerist! That's big. OK I gotta ask, what size boat, and if you're so inclined, what model? I sail dinghies, but know way more about keelboats than I should, I research them heavy, find good deals for friends. I'd have one myself except for the cost of moorage. The boat cost and maintenance I can handle.
Old 10-14-19, 03:52 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Keerist! That's big. OK I gotta ask, what size boat, and if you're so inclined, what model? I sail dinghies, but know way more about keelboats than I should, I research them heavy, find good deals for friends. I'd have one myself except for the cost of moorage. The boat cost and maintenance I can handle.
Ever met a sailor who didn’t want to discuss their boat?

Dufour 40. All the important stuff is reassuringly over-spec’d, at least for a French production racer-cruiser.

Last edited by MoAlpha; 10-14-19 at 03:57 PM.
Old 10-14-19, 08:41 PM
Duragrouch

I guessed 40', many cruisers seem to populate that length these days. Gonna look it up on sailboatdata.
Old 10-15-19, 06:05 PM
kshepherd

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Dufour makes beautiful boats! Nice!
Old 10-15-19, 06:50 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Originally Posted by kshepherd
Dufour makes beautiful boats! Nice!
Thanks!
Old 10-16-19, 07:49 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 873 Post(s)
Liked 2,279 Times in 1,276 Posts
Ever met a sailor who didn’t want to discuss their boat?

Dufour 40. All the important stuff is reassuringly over-spec’d, at least for a French production racer-cruiser.

Nice Boat!! It kind of resembles a Benetau and although I don't know much about French boats , my wife and I spent 12 years living and sailing on an Ericson 35 MK2 . I have raced on a lot of different boats from 50+ feet to 30 feet . My favorite was a Swan 52 we delivered for the owner from San Diego to Channel Islands , it was a Frers design and sailed like nothing I had ever been on. It was part of the "Big Boat" series in San Fransisco in the eighties.
Old 10-16-19, 09:35 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Originally Posted by Kabuki12
Nice Boat!!
Thanks!!

It kind of resembles a Benetau
Oh, God, don't say that! It's like saying someone's fairly well made, competent, fast, efficient, aluminum bike with 105 components resembles a dept store bike with a kick stand.

My favorite was a Swan 52 we delivered for the owner from San Diego to Channel Islands , it was a Frers design and sailed like nothing I had ever been on. It was part of the "Big Boat" series in San Fransisco in the eighties.
Never sailed one, but they are certainly fast, beautiful, and known to be quite a handful with those powered-up rigs and running backstays.
Old 10-16-19, 10:04 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 873 Post(s)
Liked 2,279 Times in 1,276 Posts
[QUOTE=MoAlpha;21166099]Thanks!!

Sorry! I don't know my French Boat pecking order. That Swan was the most incredible boat I had ever been on. The guy who ordered the boat was bent on winning the big boat series so it had the racing rig with the triple spreaders and we were only allowed to use the "delivery sails " which were mylar ,I think. And the headsail was about 110% . The boat reach 14+ kts with a 15 knot offshore breeze . It made the trip very exciting and fast. There were only three of us on board for that trip so we DID have our hands full. It was my wife , myself, and one other guy. Sail on , Joe
Likes For Kabuki12: