Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Why does Trek get bashed so much?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-06, 07:56 PM
Trev Doyle
Hamburger Pimp

Bikes: BMC SLT O1 Team Full Record, Kuips SuperNova Ultegra & DuraAce, Rocky Mountain Team Scandium full XTR w sids & dope parts, Guerciotti Khaybar Full Record.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I admit I am guilty of a little Trek badmouthing, I have never liked them. Although I did like my LeMond Zurich. But the ride was totally different. It seems that Trek is the overwhelming choice company to bash whenever something goes wrong, and that's why I don't understand........Does anyone really think Trek is a great quality bike? Or Bontarager? When someone asks what would be your dream bike, does ANYONE ever say Trek? I don't think too many would. Why does everyone knock them so much then, it's kind of like-if you already know they are crappy bikes, what do you expect? Does anyone really worship Nike, or Oakley? Or Ford? Whatever.
Old 04-10-06, 07:57 PM
edzo

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
because Hincapie just lost his chance in teh Paris Roubaix because his Trek fork head snapped and his handlebars went haywire sending him face down. this is 2006...recent..

maybe THAT IS WHY you reckon ????

The American was diagnosed with a fracture of about three centimetres between his collarbone and right shoulder on Sunday after he crashed head first when his handlebars came loose at the cobbled Mons-en-Pévèle within 50 kilometres of the race's finish.

the steerer tube just came apart and sheared off right under the stem.

now THAT is Trek Professional Kwality

Last edited by edzo; 04-10-06 at 08:02 PM.
Old 04-10-06, 08:01 PM
Trev Doyle
Hamburger Pimp

Bikes: BMC SLT O1 Team Full Record, Kuips SuperNova Ultegra & DuraAce, Rocky Mountain Team Scandium full XTR w sids & dope parts, Guerciotti Khaybar Full Record.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I know, that's my point.
Old 04-10-06, 08:04 PM
edzo

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Trev Doyle
I know, that's my point.

although...my Trek 5900 rides great an no problems yet.

it is a replacement for a 5500 which did crack under me.

when they work, the ride is phenomenal. really.
Old 04-10-06, 08:12 PM
johnny99

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Trev Doyle
I admit I am guilty of a little Trek badmouthing, I have never liked them. Although I did like my LeMond Zurich. But the ride was totally different. It seems that Trek is the overwhelming choice company to bash whenever something goes wrong, and that's why I don't understand........Does anyone really think Trek is a great quality bike?
People bash Trek for the same reason they bash Lance Armstrong. They are big, easy targets. No one would care if you bash Schwinn.
Old 04-10-06, 08:14 PM
Trev Doyle
Hamburger Pimp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's cool. I have ridden a couple though, and not really thought much of them.
Old 04-10-06, 08:14 PM
Blackberry
In Memory of One Cool Cat

Bikes: Lemond Victoire, Cannondale.Mountain Bike, two 1980s lugged steel Treks, ancient 1980-something Giant mountain bike converted into a slick tired commuter with mustache handlebars, 1960-something Raleigh Sports

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have a couple of Treks from their old lugged steel days (1983) and have no interest in their modern road bikes, but, in fairness, Hincapie was in a crash earlier in the day. Can it be reasonably claimed that the prior crash weakened the fork head?
Old 04-10-06, 10:43 PM
MattC

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Kind of like most people in the 70's loved the Cowboy's but the people that had to be cool hated them. Don't get me wrong I don't have one and also get irritated seeing so many 40 year old guys that have never ridden a road bike before riding them(talking about the guys with brand new 5.9Sl's). But only a dipsh*t could actually say the frames are crap.
Old 04-10-06, 10:46 PM
Patriot
Faith-Vigilance-Service

Bikes: Trinity, Paradisus, Centurion, Mongoose, Trek

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
TREK... big evil corporate montser.
Old 04-10-06, 10:51 PM
UmneyDurak
RacingBear

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 36 Posts
Because I think their bikes are overpriced, and I had a bad experience with one of their rep. F*king incompetent a@@#$@#$
Old 04-10-06, 10:51 PM
goldbam
Wanna race?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Trek is run of the mill, way way way to ordinary. Even their madone has nothing on the best Giant, Bianchi, or Specialized bike. Bontrager really has nothing to do with trek though, they outfit many brands, similiar to ritchey or thompson... Personally, I would just rather have a much different bike than a trek.
Old 04-10-06, 10:52 PM
baj32161
Behind EVERYone!!!

Bikes: 2010 Specialized Tricross Comp 105 Double

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 29 Posts
I suppose it is because they are so popular and seem to be under the butts of half of the road cyclists out there. Personally I see alot more Cannondales than Treks around here (whenever I even see another roadie). I don't own a Trek but I would have no problem doing so. From what I have seen they are a good quality bike and a good value for the money. I agree with one poster who mentioned the Lance thing. I ride a LeMond and I have heard people say they hate LeMonds and wouldn't ride one because of what they perceive Greg said about Lance. I think people like this are stupid and childish.

Just my 0.02

― Bruce Lee
Old 04-10-06, 10:58 PM
Warblade
Beko = Touring God.

Bikes: Too many.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hincapie did crash earlier in the race which probably cracked his steerer tube. It was aluminum or some type of alloy so it really isn't Trek's fault. This is why Boonen used a steel steerer tube.
Old 04-10-06, 10:59 PM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
Because the idiot factor on this forum is beyond calculation.
Old 04-10-06, 11:07 PM
Trekke
Lets Ride

Bikes: Trek 1200, Lemond Sarthe, Gary Fisher Tass

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by goldbam
Trek is run of the mill, way way way to ordinary. Even their madone has nothing on the best Giant, Bianchi, or Specialized bike. Bontrager really has nothing to do with trek though, they outfit many brands, similiar to ritchey or thompson... Personally, I would just rather have a much different bike than a trek.
Ok I agree that you will find Bontrager components on other brands. Other brands such as Lemond, Gary Fisher and Klein which are all Trek owned. I can't ever recall a Bontrager component on a non Trek owned brand. I may be wrong. For the Bontrager components I have had experience with the actual component is made by someone else. For example Truvati makes some (or all) of their chain rings.
Old 04-10-06, 11:09 PM
ViperZ
Baby it's cold outside...

Bikes: Trek 5000, Rocky Mountain Wedge, GT Karakoram K2, Litespeed Tuscany

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When your at the top, everybody wants to bring you down a notch or two...
Old 04-10-06, 11:16 PM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by goldbam
Umm... Trek OWNS Bontrager. That's why they spec so much Bontrager stuff. I guess their OEM costs are lower and since they OWN the component supplier they make money on both ends. That's pretty smart if you ask me. Mostly. Kind of pushed me away from Trek (I prefer Mavic wheels and FSA handlebars and the like to Bontrager components) but generally I think it works. If the fact that their sales have DOUBLED since 1999 are any indication. Maybe they're not as dumb as you all think they are, eh?

Keep bashing Trek you morons. They're the BIGGEST and most profitable bicycle company in this country. Which isn't saying much since they don't even crack one billion dollars in annual sales. That's Bill Gates' bar tab. I'm not sure what's more pathetic, the bicycle industry or the lunkheads on this forum
Old 04-10-06, 11:20 PM
the beef
100% USDA certified

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Trekke
I can't ever recall a Bontrager component on a non Trek owned brand. I may be wrong.
I've got a pair of Bontrager Race wheels on my Bianchi Got a great deal on them. They're a great wheelset, I can't complain.

But otherwise.. well, Trek lacks passion There's nothing too technically wrong with their bikes. It's just that you don't get that rush of excitement or feeling from knowing that you're sitting on a Trek. I've owned one before.
Old 04-10-06, 11:29 PM
iamtim

Bikes: 2012 Motobecane Vent Noir; 2016 Mercier Kilo TT Pro

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Because people are dumb and consider riding a Trek to be some sort of conformity; by badmouthing Trek they think they are unique in their non-conformity, not realizing that they are conforming with the non-conformists.

You don't like Trek? Cool. There are people that do, though -- does that make them any less of a rider than those who don't like Trek? Nah. I don't like Schwinn... wouldn't ride one. Does that make me a better rider than one who rides a Schwinn? Nah. It's all personal taste.

Besides... what's it all about? Is it all about getting out there and riding your bike regardless of brand, or is it about nutting up on someone because they ride a brand you don't like?

I tell you what -- I ride a Trek 1000 that I've upgraded to a consistent 9-speed Tiagra group throughout. That's a double whammy right there -- an upgraded Trek 1000, and with Tiagra, not 105 or Ultegra. Go ahead, talk smack... I'll just laugh at you as I ride away. Because that's what I do with my bike -- ride it.
Old 04-10-06, 11:33 PM
the beef
100% USDA certified

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by iamtim
I tell you what -- I ride a Trek 1000 that I've upgraded to a consistent 9-speed Tiagra group throughout. That's a double whammy right there -- an upgraded Trek 1000, and with Tiagra, not 105 or Ultegra. Go ahead, talk smack... I'll just laugh at you as I ride away. Because that's what I do with my bike -- ride it.
Ayiyi. Don't get too worked up Trek is a good brand. I was considering the 1000 before I bought my Brava.
Old 04-10-06, 11:37 PM
EricDJ
Airborne Titanium

Bikes: Airborne Ti Upright, Raleigh M-20 beater, Peugeot Folding

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Trekke
Ok I agree that you will find Bontrager components on other brands. Other brands such as Lemond, Gary Fisher and Klein which are all Trek owned. I can't ever recall a Bontrager component on a non Trek owned brand. I may be wrong. For the Bontrager components I have had experience with the actual component is made by someone else. For example Truvati makes some (or all) of their chain rings.

Airborne did and Bontrager comes on Flyte as an option too.
Old 04-10-06, 11:38 PM
iamtim

Bikes: 2012 Motobecane Vent Noir; 2016 Mercier Kilo TT Pro

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by the beef
I was considering the 1000 before I bought my Brava.
Well, for what it's worth, had *ANY* local bike store in my area sold Bianchi, I'd be riding a Brava today instead of my Trek. I'm very passionate about Bianchi -- they just strike a chord with me, and have ever since I sold my late 80s Shimano 600 powered Brava to fund a bootie call.

Recently I picked up an 86/87 Strada that I am converting to a fixie.

My next roadie will be a new Bianchi.
Old 04-10-06, 11:39 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 692 Posts
Originally Posted by baj32161
I suppose it is because they are so popular and seem to be under the butts of half of the road cyclists out there. Personally I see alot more Cannondales than Treks around here (whenever I even see another roadie).
You're onto more than you think. Cannondales were the run-of-the-mill bike about 10 years ago. It seemed that everyone owned one, road, velodrome AND mtb. People made fun of them all the time, "Crack 'n fail" was their nickname. Now Trek has taken the market and is now the target.

Another possible reason is that Treks seem to be love 'em or hate 'em bikes. I don't know many people in the middle ground, which is probably due to their unusual geometry which people either find comfortable or impossible to fit properly. I don't like Trek carbon frames because they flexed way more than they ever should have under my 120 lb body (back then, not now ). However, it did fit quite well with my long arms and short legs. I just couldn't handle the swaying BB shell on climbs and the fork looking like it was rubber on the descents.
Old 04-10-06, 11:40 PM
the beef
100% USDA certified

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by iamtim
Well, for what it's worth, had *ANY* local bike store in my area sold Bianchi, I'd be riding a Brava today instead of my Trek. I'm very passionate about Bianchi -- they just strike a chord with me, and have ever since I sold my late 80s Shimano 600 powered Brava to fund a bootie call.

Recently I picked up an 86/87 Strada that I am converting to a fixie.

My next roadie will be a new Bianchi.
Awesome to hear that. The Strada's an awesome ride; I have an old one as well. It's got the same frame as the Brava.

Anyway, Bianchi's great, you can't go wrong with an Italian bike. You could say that I'm very passionate about Bianchi as well.
Old 04-10-06, 11:42 PM
Trekke
Lets Ride

Bikes: Trek 1200, Lemond Sarthe, Gary Fisher Tass

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by the beef
Ayiyi. Don't get too worked up Trek is a good brand. I was considering the 1000 before I bought my Brava.
I have had a Trek 1200 for 6 years. My first road bike. My son rides it now. The bike has 25,000 plus mles on it with no problems. I don't ride a Trek now but it is not because I found anything wrong with my first bike experience. I have since owned several Trek owned bikes (Lemond, Gary fisher etc..) as well as other bike brands.

You can say what you want about their bikes but I have have had nothing but top rated service on any issue I have ever had with Trek. I had a crank issue that happened on the 364th day of a 1 yr warranty and they replaced the entire crank, chain rings and BB no questions asked in less that 3 days. I broke the bracket on a Trek brand flashing LED light. Called Trek directly (willing to pay for the bracket) but they sent me an entire light no charge and no questions asked.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.