Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Saddle Height

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Saddle Height

Old 07-11-10, 06:54 AM
Body_Fortress

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Saddle Height

I'm after getting my hands on my first proper road bike, which is a classic Pinarello, just like most things that come out of Italy, it is a sexy ass bike and I got it at a great price.

However, the seat is not adjustable and it is about 1/4 inch too high, I can still pedal with high cadence, my hips don't move and I'm not overextending my achilles.

But I still know that it is too high as my knee is locked when I put the pedal to the middle of my foot and go to the back of my pedal stroke. Also the saddle is killing me, especially going downhill, where I can't pedal due to restriction.

My first question is whether or not my speed is being hampered by this problem even though I'm a lot faster on this bike than my old one.

My second question is whether or not it is worth paying an extra €300-€500 to buy a bike with an adjustable seat.

Please help, I need to return it tommorrow if returning it is my best option
Old 07-11-10, 07:00 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by Body_Fortress
However, the seat is not adjustable and it is about 1/4 inch too high, I can still pedal with high cadence, my hips don't move and I'm not overextending my achilles.

But I still know that it is too high as my knee is locked when I put the pedal to the middle of my foot and go to the back of my pedal stroke. Also the saddle is killing me, especially going downhill, where I can't pedal due to restriction.
1. What makes you think the seat is not adjustable?

2. If it is too high, your achilles will feel it and you will damage them and not be able to ride or walk.

3. Why would you position your pedal in the middle of your foot?

4. You do know you can change the saddle, right?
Old 07-11-10, 07:11 AM
Body_Fortress

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1. It's a Bike that they started making around 1984 and the design never changed, the attention to detail on the saddle bar is great, but due to how skinny it gets, it makes it unjustable.

2. That's good to hear, it's not dangerously high to promote injury.

3. Putting the pedal to the middle of your foot is a test to see if the saddle is too high, it's hard to describe without photos, so I'll try find one to explain. I don't pedal with the middle of my foot.

4. The saddle is changable, the saddle bar might be a lot harder to change on this bike, plus it will lose its antique value if I change the saddle bar, I might be able to sell this bike off for a lot of money some day
Old 07-11-10, 07:47 AM
MajorMantra

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1. It's a Bike that they started making around 1984 and the design never changed, the attention to detail on the saddle bar is great, but due to how skinny it gets, it makes it unjustable.
BS. With the exception of integrated seatposts (which didn't become common until the last 5 years) all road bikes have adjustable saddle height, assuming you don't exceed the limits of safe seatpost clamping. Does it have a tapering aero post? Is that what you mean by "how skinny it gets"? If that's the issue, you can get a new seatpost - the sizes are standardised. However, if you need the saddle low enough to be encroaching on the aero section then it's very likely that the bike is too big for you.

Take a picture of the seatpost/saddle and we can tell you what you need to do.
Old 07-11-10, 09:45 AM
Loose Chain

Bikes: 84 Pinarello Trevisio, 86 Guerciotti SLX, 96 Specialized Stumpjumper, 2010 Surly Cross Check, 88 Centurion Prestige, 73 Raleigh Sports, GT Force, Bridgestone MB4

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 56 Posts
If you have a Pinarello, it has an adjustable seat post!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I think your issue is you have a bicycle that is way too large for you. I say this because if you have a Pinarello with one of several Campy "type" seat posts that are ovalized at the top section and you are having to drop the saddle down into the oval section to get your leg extension correct--the frame is way, way too big for you.

Here is a pic of one of my Pinarello bike (before an overhaul) and notice that the Pinarello pantographed Campy seat post is at the limit which is an indicator that my frame is correctly sized for me for racing, I have a 75.5cm saddle height. If I had to drop the post down onto the oval section, partially obscured in pic by the velcro strap, well, then the bike frame is too large.

Better pic of a Campy aero post set within the correct range, note oval section is not any where near the seat clamping section of the frame:

Last edited by Loose Chain; 07-11-10 at 09:56 AM.
Old 07-11-10, 09:52 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 995 Post(s)
Liked 1,203 Times in 689 Posts
If I read that correctly, you have an "aero post". You can probably find a non-aero one at a local shop for $30, or a used one on ebay (that might even be the correct time period) for the same or less. Go get that and keep the beautiful original post in your sock drawer should you ever sell the bike or put it in a showroom or something.
Old 07-11-10, 09:54 AM
Cat4Lifer
Velo Club La Grange

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Are you talking about the seatpost?
Like this:

Old 07-11-10, 03:36 PM
Body_Fortress

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the replies, the seat post looks exactly like your middle picture "Loose Chain" and yup I went past the oval part. Frame must be too big for me so.
Old 07-11-10, 03:59 PM
ciocc_cat
"Chooch"

Bikes: Late 1990s Ciocc Titan

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Back in the day, if a frame was properly sized then the nose of the saddle would be apx. 6 inches from the top of the top tube when set at the optimal saddle height (Source: The Custom Bicycle by Kolin & de La Rosa, 1979, page 192). This roughly corresponded to the "fistful of seatpost" rule which indicated the proper amount of post to be showing. My, how times have changed!

Sounds like your frame might be too large for you. I had a Raleigh Pro Mk IV in 1977 that was too large for me and it made for an uncomfortable ride due to the too long top tube.

How are you determining your saddle height? There are numerous methods/formulas, but they all result in a slight bend in the knee at the bottom of the pedal stroke.
Old 07-11-10, 05:11 PM
Loose Chain

Bikes: 84 Pinarello Trevisio, 86 Guerciotti SLX, 96 Specialized Stumpjumper, 2010 Surly Cross Check, 88 Centurion Prestige, 73 Raleigh Sports, GT Force, Bridgestone MB4

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 56 Posts
Well, the good news is that a classic bike is an easy sell. I hate that it is too big but seriously, if the seat post has to be shoved down into the frame into the oval area to get your leg extension/saddle height correct, the frame is too big.
Old 07-11-10, 05:35 PM
Eclectus

Bikes: Cervelo RS, Specialized Stumpy, Schwinn 974

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Getting a bike that is, "Ah this is reaaly niice," is a hard thing. You will know it when you get it.
Old 07-12-10, 12:00 PM
Body_Fortress

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think I'm getting a new saddle for now, if not I'll get my money back, I've to find out if I could sell it myself for more though, I've heard it can be worth a lot due to its history
Old 07-12-10, 05:18 PM
MajorMantra

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think I'm getting a new saddle for now, if not I'll get my money back, I've to find out if I could sell it myself for more though, I've heard it can be worth a lot due to its history
No! It's a new seatpost you need, assuming the saddle isn't horrendously uncomfortable.
Old 07-13-10, 11:00 AM
Body_Fortress

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry, I meant seat post, wrote that last one in a rush. The Bike is perfect now, thanks a lot for all your help, I'll def be active on these forums !!!!