Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Helmet Cameras - Do they Change Drivers' Behavior?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-12, 09:05 AM
ChrisM2097

Bikes: 2007 Specialized Rockhopper Disc; Trek 7.5 FX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So, due to the fact that I was nearly run off the road a week or so ago (there's another thread about it), I purchased a Contour HD 1080 and strapped it to my helmet.

Yesterday was my first commute using it, and I noticed that many more drivers than usual were giving me plenty of space - staying back when I had to take the lane, or giving me lots of room when passing (at least 6' for most).

Maybe it was just a coincidence. Either way, it was a nice, peaceful commute.

What do you think - does the sight of a helmet camera change peoples behavior?
Old 07-24-12, 09:21 AM
RobertFrapples
all-weather commuter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I suspect that most drivers are not paying any attention to the specifics of your equipment. They are merely processing your general shape, size, and velocity so they can avoid hitting you, just as they do with any other object in the roadway.
Old 07-24-12, 09:31 AM
dynodonn 
Banned

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1268 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 67 Posts
Originally Posted by ChrisM2097
So, due to the fact that I was nearly run off the road a week or so ago (there's another thread about it), I purchased a Contour HD 1080 and strapped it to my helmet.

Yesterday was my first commute using it, and I noticed that many more drivers than usual were giving me plenty of space - staying back when I had to take the lane, or giving me lots of room when passing (at least 6' for most).

In your area, I'd suspect that motorists might be more camera savvy, especially after the incident with Berkley cyclists making the rounds in the media.
Old 07-24-12, 09:52 AM
ckaspar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I used to think they were better behaved but I changed my opinion based on a few close calls last week. My camera is prominently mounted and visible 360* and some people still drive like jerks. I imagine if someone is going to have a bad day they could care less about whether you have a camera or not. I now use my camera as a learning tool for me and anyone else interested. In my accident a few weeks back I told my insurance and the cops I had video of the incident and neither wanted/needed it. Perhaps if it was a little more severe or challengeable they would have wanted it.
Old 07-24-12, 10:26 AM
dynodonn 
Banned

Originally Posted by ckaspar
I used to think they were better behaved but I changed my opinion based on a few close calls last week.

At speed, motorists still drive the same, but waiting at stop lights and stop signs, the harassment has diminished to the point of almost being nil since I added cameras to the bike. Though my rear camera is small, it seems that some motorists maybe quick to spot a lens pointed back at them.
Old 07-24-12, 10:46 AM
ckaspar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dynodonn
At speed, motorists still drive the same, but waiting at stop lights and stop signs, the harassment has diminished to the point of almost being nil since I added cameras to the bike. Though my rear camera is small, it seems that some motorists maybe quick to spot a lens pointed back at them.
I was never harassed at a light before or after the camera but I have been hooted and hollared at because of the camera. One group of kids, while they were making a left turn and I was in the right lane, yelled at me then said, "Pop a wheelie man!!" I just looked in amazement at them. lol

I do see many people who notice the camera and they make comments but nothing derogatory and I imagine those same people would have ignored me otherwise. My point is that the camera does draw attention but I think jerks will be jerks regardless of the cameras presence.
Old 07-24-12, 11:07 AM
dynodonn 
Banned

I was never harassed at a light before or after the camera but I have been hooted and hollared at because of the camera. One group of kids, while they were making a left turn and I was in the right lane, yelled at me then said, "Pop a wheelie man!!" I just looked in amazement at them. lol

I do see many people who notice the camera and they make comments but nothing derogatory and I imagine those same people would have ignored me otherwise. My point is that the camera does draw attention but I think jerks will be jerks regardless of the cameras presence.
I would much rather have a group of teens ask me to do a wheel stand than adults sitting behind me yelling derogatory comments about myself and my bike, and what their version of how a cyclist should ride a bicycle.
Old 07-24-12, 11:13 AM
Bluish Green
Bicycle Commuter

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I was wondering how useful a rear camera might be. I don't have the funds now to buy a camera, but I was thinking it might be enlightening to try it both fore and aft and see what I can learn.

Although I ride in the traffic lanes for most of my commute, I am fortunate to have full-width lanes and fairly light traffic to share them with on my route, compared with so many here on the Forum. So conflicts are a rare occurrence for me. But still, it is an interesting concept and I might try filming some day. Thanks for the posts, they are interesting to follow.
Old 07-24-12, 11:15 AM
ckaspar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would much rather have a group of teens ask me to do a wheel stand than adults sitting behind me yelling derogatory comments about myself and my bike, and what their version of how a cyclist should ride a bicycle.
I totally agree but can't relate. I have yet to encounter such a situation. Perhaps it is because I have had the camera nearly since day one or the people in my area are more tolerant of riders or whatever. I suppose the main reason for my original comment was because the OP mentioned driving situation where drivers where more courteous. I was not thinking about being harassed at a light because it has never happened to me before but I still think jerks will be jerks regardless of the camera. Watch Youtube videos of people who are pissed at the world about a cyclist. They could care less if there is a camera involved. I have yet to see a video where a driver harasses a cyclist and when they realize a camera is present then they apologize and move along.

I would like to add that I am a big proponent of personal mounted cameras. I just want people to know what they can expect fully. The camera is not a "Get out of a wreck" card or a "Stop a driver from being a prick" card. It is just a tool to document a situation.
Old 07-24-12, 11:37 AM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 35 Posts
The camera is not a "Get out of a wreck" card or a "Stop a driver from being a prick" card. It is just a tool to document a situation.
Or just something to share cool things that you see -- I find a lot more need for that than documenting asshattery.

I think cameras are useful tools, but anyone who finds them handy on a regular basis for recording issues with motorists is probably doing something wrong.
Old 07-24-12, 11:46 AM
mtb123

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cameras Are Cyclists’ ‘Black Boxes’ in Accidents

Here is an interesting article on the subject that was recently in the nytimes:

https://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/21/te....html?_r=4&hpw
Old 07-24-12, 11:47 AM
ckaspar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by banerjek
Or just something to share cool things that you see -- I find a lot more need for that than documenting asshattery.

I think cameras are useful tools, but anyone who finds them handy on a regular basis for recording issues with motorists is probably doing something wrong.
By "situation" I meant the ride as a whole not just asshattery but ya what he said ^^
Old 07-24-12, 11:49 AM
ckaspar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mtb123
Here is an interesting article on the subject that was recently in the nytimes:

https://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/21/te....html?_r=4&hpw
I think there is a thread in A&S about this article as well.
Old 07-24-12, 01:12 PM
degnaw

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
One data point does not a trend make - At times I've gone weeks without a single incident, and at other times I've met 3-4 angry/impatient drivers in a single one-way commute.

I pretty much always ride with a camera, so I can't comment on its effect on driver behavior. That said, it is pretty hard to notice that it's there unless you're less than ~10 feet away.
Old 07-24-12, 01:49 PM
kookaburra1701

Bikes: 2014 Specialized Dolce Triple, 1987 Schwinn Tempo, 2012 Windsor Kensington 8

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by banerjek
If I had a camera I could have had an awesome video of the two osprey fighting over a fish from last week's ride. And a small rabbit with a deathwish that darted out in front of me when I was zooming down a hill.
Old 07-24-12, 01:52 PM
cehowardGS
Motorcycle RoadRacer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Don't know about the helmet camera changing driver's behavoir toward bicycles, but I can tell you the my HELMET LIGHT, changes driver's behavoir, big time!! They stay out of my way, they give me room, no left turns in front of me, and they don't take my rightofway..
Maybe I should go with my light and a camera!!
Old 07-24-12, 01:55 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
.. well if the camera clip is accepted as evidence against them , in a trial court,
the Judge, banging the gavel down and declaring the driver "Guilty",

Does change their behavior .. but, after the fact..
Old 07-24-12, 02:06 PM
ChrisM2097

Bikes: 2007 Specialized Rockhopper Disc; Trek 7.5 FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by degnaw
One data point does not a trend make
I understand that. I've been commuting by bike on and off for several years, and I just happened to notice that yesterday drivers were keeping their distance much more than usual. Maybe it was just coincidence. Maybe it was just all in my head.

I'll continue to use it, and hope that I'll never need to use data from it as evidence. Or maybe I'll capture some incredible moment that warrants a YouTube upload.
Old 07-24-12, 02:10 PM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
If you use a camera, do it right, like Google Maps. 360 degrees. Front and rear helmet mounted and six on the bike. Drivers might even notice your cameras, which could potentially affect their behavior.
Old 07-24-12, 03:04 PM
mulveyr 

Bikes: Specialized Diverge, Box Dog Pelican, 1991 Cannondale tandem

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 4 Posts
I suspect most motorists haven't the slightest idea what a helmet cam is.

Motorist behavior seems to vary all over the place. Some days I won't have a single close pass, right-hook attempt, horn honk, or other egregious behavior. On other days, I can't seem to ride 100 yards without all of that happening.

I wouldn't ascribe better behavior to the camera. You're probably just having a run of good luck. ;-)
Old 07-24-12, 04:19 PM
modernjess
ride for a change

Bikes: Surly Cross-check & Moonlander, Pivot Mach 429, Ted Wojcik Sof-Trac, Ridley Orion. Santa Cruz Stigmata

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I can't imagine it does. Hell, most of them don't even see you on a bike most of the time, forget about noticing that GoPro on your helmet.
Old 07-24-12, 07:05 PM
dynodonn 
Banned

Originally Posted by Bluish Green
I was wondering how useful a rear camera might be. I don't have the funds now to buy a camera, but I was thinking it might be enlightening to try it both fore and aft and see what I can learn.

........ conflicts are a rare occurrence for me.

Personally, I would save my money, unless you are into chronicling your commute for posterity, which I happen to do so as well since my commute route has gone through and is still going through some major urban landscape changes.
Old 07-24-12, 07:15 PM
dynodonn 
Banned

Originally Posted by degnaw
it is pretty hard to notice that it's there unless you're less than ~10 feet away.
At speed, motorists barely notice anything on my bike, but it's been two years since a motorist, sitting in their vehicle behind me at a stop light or stop sign, has yelled any derogatory remark towards me, where it was happening several times a year prior to the installation of my cameras.
Old 07-24-12, 07:21 PM
dynodonn 
Banned

Originally Posted by kookaburra1701
If I had a camera I could have had an awesome video of the two osprey fighting over a fish from last week's ride. And a small rabbit with a deathwish that darted out in front of me when I was zooming down a hill.

Damn, I wish I had a commute like that. Makes me wish I had a chest mounted camera for the time when I came face to face with a cow moose protecting her two calves.
Old 07-24-12, 10:34 PM
BassNotBass
master of bottom licks

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
IMHO most motorists are clueless and wouldn't recognize a camera much less a cyclist occupying a whole lane. However a camera captures proof of how motorists treat cyclists and I've found it to deter some motorists from escalating a 'mere' traffic incident to physical assault. So far it has been my experience that people act differently when they think/realize that they are being watched or recorded.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.