Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Show Your Vintage MTB Drop Bar Conversions

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Show Your Vintage MTB Drop Bar Conversions

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-20, 02:14 AM
Niall Dublin

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
Cannondale M800 Stem

Originally Posted by rmplum
couple of $25 or so Diamond Back quill stems on ebay right now - they are long but with the 1-1/4 quill size you need...,
Thanks, Unfortunately they are much the same as the original stem on the bike, i.e. Low and Long. I need to get a taller and shorter alternative.
Old 05-19-20, 02:18 AM
Niall Dublin

Cannondale M800 Stem

Originally Posted by tricky
Looks like Nitto makes an adapter to adapt to a threadless stem (second one down): https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...s.php?id=23896
Thanks, That's the one I referred to in my original post, and it's still looking like the best option, but then I have to put something on it to give me a taller and shorter reach stem than the original. The Stem extenders all look pretty rubbish when you add a stem onto them, just too many bolts ! I'm looking at the Soma Crane CrMo Stem which looks like a possibility, although it's not the nicest looking stem on the market !
https://www.somafab.com/archives/pro...rane-crmo-stem

Last edited by Niall Dublin; 05-19-20 at 02:33 AM. Reason: add link
Likes For Niall Dublin:
Old 05-19-20, 06:31 AM
rmplum

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 9 Posts
I think that Nitto adapter looks like your best bet and it actually looks pretty clean - plus it then gives you infinite options with 1-1/8" threadless stems to dial in the fit. That Soma stem might work, but it also lacks a removable faceplate - which may or may not make bar changes a pain?

Good luck!
Old 05-19-20, 06:34 AM
rmplum

Here's my dirt dropped Slingshot

Due to it being a singlespeed I can swap over to a flat bar setup in about 5-10 minutes
Likes For rmplum:
Old 05-19-20, 06:40 AM
rmplum

My old Rock Combo that I converted to a Shimano M735 kit

Old 05-19-20, 08:37 AM
Niall Dublin

Lovely jobs on both of them, thankfully the Cannondale is quite a tall frame so I don't need to gain as much height as you did on the Slingshot. When I was buying the Cannondale on holidays in Florida, I think the other one I was considering was a Stumpjumper, which might have made life a bit easier.
Old 05-19-20, 03:09 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,528 Times in 916 Posts
Originally Posted by Niall Dublin
Lovely jobs on both of them, thankfully the Cannondale is quite a tall frame so I don't need to gain as much height as you did on the Slingshot. When I was buying the Cannondale on holidays in Florida, I think the other one I was considering was a Stumpjumper, which might have made life a bit easier.
Any chance this would work?

Old 05-19-20, 04:01 PM
Niall Dublin

Cannondale M800

Originally Posted by Korina
Any chance this would work?

Hi Korina, That's a very similar bike to my M800, it's even the same colour ! I'm not sure what you're asking though ? Do you mean would the bike be suitable for a drop bar conversion ? If so, then you would have the same problem I have, as it looks like it has the same 1 1/4" Pepperoni Forks. The best option seems to be a Nitto MTC-023 Quill to Threadless Adapter, and then some sort of suitable riser stem on top of that.
Old 05-19-20, 06:41 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Hi Korina, That's a very similar bike to my M800, it's even the same colour ! I'm not sure what you're asking though ? Do you mean would the bike be suitable for a drop bar conversion ? If so, then you would have the same problem I have, as it looks like it has the same 1 1/4" Pepperoni Forks. The best option seems to be a Nitto MTC-023 Quill to Threadless Adapter, and then some sort of suitable riser stem on top of that.
Oh, sorry. It's on CL for the low low price of $300. Worth probably $50, as there's a considerable amount of rust. I thought you might be able to use the fork.

ETA: Oh wait, you were looking for a stem. This one looks alarmingly rusted, so never mind.
Old 05-21-20, 05:00 AM
Niall Dublin

Cannondale M800 Stem

Oh, sorry. It's on CL for the low low price of $300. Worth probably $50, as there's a considerable amount of rust. I thought you might be able to use the fork.

ETA: Oh wait, you were looking for a stem. This one looks alarmingly rusted, so never mind.
Ah, right, I see. Thanks for the thought. It's probably not worth $300, but it's quite a nice bike, would be easily tidied up. The frame and fork look sound, and are aluminium so wouldn't be rusty, the stem etc would be easily replaced with similar ones. Problem arises when you want to convert to drops. The Nitto Adapters I mentioned are hard to find, they may not be making them any longer, or maybe it's just Covid supply-chain issues. I think I have one on the way from Tokyo, hopefully it will get here, and I sourced an adjustable stem that should give some extra height. Loads of bits ordered now, waiting for various packages to arrive, Tyres, Mudguards, Shifters, Brake Levers, Bars, Stem and Nitto Adapter from various sources. Lots of postman visits coming up.
Old 05-21-20, 05:15 AM
zenolee

Bikes: '97 Specialized RockHopper, '84 Trek 620, '78 Zebrakenko Record Tour, Crust Canti Lightning Bolt

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
'94 Rockhopper rebirth

I had this bike since new. It was neglected in the garage occasionally used by my dad. I decided to give it a second lease on life by converting it to drop bars.

So far it rides well. I'm thinking of upgrading the wheels. I see some Rhyno Lites on eBay for $200. Worth it? Any other recs?
Likes For zenolee:
Old 05-21-20, 12:32 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Ah, right, I see. Thanks for the thought. It's probably not worth $300, but it's quite a nice bike, would be easily tidied up. The frame and fork look sound, and are aluminium so wouldn't be rusty, the stem etc would be easily replaced with similar ones. Problem arises when you want to convert to drops. The Nitto Adapters I mentioned are hard to find, they may not be making them any longer, or maybe it's just Covid supply-chain issues. I think I have one on the way from Tokyo, hopefully it will get here, and I sourced an adjustable stem that should give some extra height. Loads of bits ordered now, waiting for various packages to arrive, Tyres, Mudguards, Shifters, Brake Levers, Bars, Stem and Nitto Adapter from various sources. Lots of postman visits coming up.
I see what you're doing there! Nope, my stable is full to overflowing. I'll let someone else pick it up, assuming it hasn't already. Lots of ads left up after the sale.

Is it weird that I like quill stems? Super easy to adjust, and they just look pretty. FYI, Factory Five makes a 1" quill stem that takes 31.8mm handlebars. A bit spendy, but very cool.
Old 05-21-20, 12:48 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Originally Posted by zenolee
I had this bike since new. It was neglected in the garage occasionally used by my dad. I decided to give it a second lease on life by converting it to drop bars.

So far it rides well. I'm thinking of upgrading the wheels. I see some Rhyno Lites on eBay for $200. Worth it? Any other recs?
Nice bike, though I might be biased. If you're looking to sell it, no, new wheels aren't worth it. If you're looking to ride it, then hells yeah! I'd say get the wheels, ride it, see if you want to change anything, ride it some more to be sure, change what you want, and ride it.
Old 05-21-20, 01:17 PM
zenolee

Bikes: '97 Specialized RockHopper, '84 Trek 620, '78 Zebrakenko Record Tour, Crust Canti Lightning Bolt

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
Nice bike, though I might be biased. If you're looking to sell it, no, new wheels aren't worth it. If you're looking to ride it, then hells yeah! I'd say get the wheels, ride it, see if you want to change anything, ride it some more to be sure, change what you want, and ride it.
I should have mentioned my current rims' brake surfaces are scored to the point where braking power has been reduced. I'm looking for quality replacement wheels for myself. I will never recoup the money I've put into reviving it so far. That's not the issue. Also thinking of converting to Linear Pull brakes, like Paul Motolites
Likes For zenolee:
Old 05-21-20, 02:21 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Originally Posted by zenolee
I should have mentioned my current rims' brake surfaces are scored to the point where braking power has been reduced. I'm looking for quality replacement wheels for myself. I will never recoup the money I've put into reviving it so far. That's not the issue. Also thinking of converting to Linear Pull brakes, like Paul Motolites
Sounds like a fun project. Pics, of course.
Old 05-23-20, 03:22 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Originally Posted by KlunkerBiker
Great build on the Stumpy there! Any updates on it? Ride reports with the gearing etc? Any more pictures?

I have an '84 as well and I'm trying to figure out what to do with it. I originally built it up as a drop bar tourer, but my weight and load caused that bike to climb like spaghetti noodles. My paint is oxidized, but was hesitant to paint over original. I think yours pushed me to do it.
There's another thread for vintage mtb. upright/urban conversions. Check it out.
Old 05-23-20, 06:47 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1974 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
Great build on the Stumpy there! Any updates on it? Ride reports with the gearing etc?
I haven't made any major changes since. The new gearing works pretty much as expected; better bottom-end gear, and I don't have to make the big shift to the small ring as often because the middle ring has more range.

At this exact moment, it's basically a 48-24 double. Upon my most recent chain replacement - earlier this week - the middle ring apparently no longer meshes with new chains. Not a surprise, looking at it:

So I'll need to fix that.

I have an '84 as well and I'm trying to figure out what to do with it. I originally built it up as a drop bar tourer, but my weight and load caused that bike to climb like spaghetti noodles.
Interesting. I've thought about using it as a tourer. The frame doesn't feel noodly to me besides the effects of the steering geometry (and with its weight I figured it *should* be fairly stiff), but I've never used it loaded and I weigh ~160lbs.

My paint is oxidized, but was hesitant to paint over original. I think yours pushed me to do it.

I didn't actually paint mine; the powder coat was done by the previous owner. Which is actually a bit unfortunate because, although the color works nicely, it wasn't done entirely well. The underlying steel is poking through in places like lug edges.

Any more pictures?

Likes For HTupolev:
Old 05-29-20, 02:09 PM
CrowSeph

Bikes: BMC SLR01; Cannondale Trail; Lot's of project and vintage bikes..

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked 168 Times in 101 Posts
Finally i can post some photos of my last creation. Half mtb and half roadbike , i love it.

Likes For CrowSeph:
Old 05-31-20, 04:32 PM
jlaw

Bikes: 2015 Spec. AWOL Elite,2022 Spec. Diverge, 1984 Trek 620 1985 Trek 620, 1979 Trek 710

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 110 Posts

A good-looking go-anywhere, do-anything bike! Old MTB frames offer so many possibilities.
Likes For jlaw:
Old 05-31-20, 04:39 PM
jlaw

Bikes: 2015 Spec. AWOL Elite,2022 Spec. Diverge, 1984 Trek 620 1985 Trek 620, 1979 Trek 710

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 110 Posts
Originally Posted by CrowSeph

I like the slammed seat post and stem - reminds me of a 1950's coupe hot rod with a chop top.

Likes For jlaw:
Old 06-01-20, 01:21 AM
spedrunr

Bikes: Bianchi: '89 Celeste Campione d'Italia, '89 Celeste Incline, 80's Grizzly, 90's Volpe, Bridgestone(90's): CB-0, MB-3 Comp, Klein road, Cannondale road

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
[QUOTE=KlunkerBiker;21500584]So, here are some pics of my 83 Stumpy. The only one I have of it finished is the second to last one unfortunately. The last picture is of it's current state. I think I will build it as a flat bar city style bike next.

/QUOTE]
The reach looks mighty short(?)
Likes For spedrunr:
Old 06-02-20, 04:19 PM
bOsscO
bOsscO

Bikes: 2024 Spec Crux, 2015 Norco Search S1, 93 Mongoose IBOC COMP

Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked 355 Times in 212 Posts
Hey it's been awhile but with COVID-19 I have more time to jump onto bike forums for ****s and giggles.
I'm liking a lot of these older MTB with drop bars. I just purchased an older MTB off Craigslist that I was planning on turning into a crusty, nondescript (read 'not worth stealing') town bike. The seller didn't have much info on the bike; its been painted over at least once and doesn't have many original parts left.
I've started stripping it down as I intend on replacing the basics (cables, housing, brake pads, etc.) and clean it up a bit before I start riding it. Maybe I'll throw some drop bars on it.
Likes For bOsscO:
Old 06-02-20, 11:14 PM
spedrunr

Bikes: Bianchi: '89 Celeste Campione d'Italia, '89 Celeste Incline, 80's Grizzly, 90's Volpe, Bridgestone(90's): CB-0, MB-3 Comp, Klein road, Cannondale road

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
What is the Grant Peterson fit philosophy? Never heard of it.
Old 06-03-20, 11:13 AM
bOsscO
bOsscO

Bikes: 2024 Spec Crux, 2015 Norco Search S1, 93 Mongoose IBOC COMP

Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked 355 Times in 212 Posts
Definitely share some pics if you do
Will do!
I've managed to get most of the components off. A friend/coworker of mine who has way more tools and experience wrenching bikes helped by removing the headset and bottom bracket.
The frame is starting to reveal itself (and perhaps it's next iteration) now that it's naked. I'll be stripping paint next.
Oh yeah it also appears to be an early 90's Mongoose MTB but I have no idea what model. Any guesses?

What is this frame?
Likes For bOsscO:
Old 06-03-20, 11:29 AM
wesmamyke

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 76 Posts
Mongoose IBOC, don't know the years super well. Mine has the loop tail stays like that, but no cutouts, and no stamping.

Edit again: Though early '90's, could actually be pretty late.

Last edited by wesmamyke; 06-03-20 at 11:36 AM.
Likes For wesmamyke:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.