Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

1Up Rack Hitch Pin Won't Engage With Lock

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 09-03-20, 12:11 PM
GAtkins

Bikes: 2021 Trek Domane SLR7 Project One 62cm- 2010 Specialized Allez 61cm

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 44 Posts

All,

I can't get my 1Up hitch pin to engage with the inside of the lock mechanism. The pic below shows as far as it will go in before bottoming out on the internal female threads.

Of course the male screw thread is rectangular as well as the portion you can see right where it inters the lock. I think the non-threaded rectangular portion of the screw is supposed to go all the way in past the lip in the female side so that it can then be turned to engage the internal threads.

Seems that the pin bottoms out on the internal thread before the rectangular piece clears the opening in the lock.

The wheel locks have the same problem.

Any ideas?

Thanks much.

Glenn

Old 09-03-20, 01:01 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2731 Post(s)
Liked 3,361 Times in 2,034 Posts
https://www.1up-usa.com/services/#14...-e70d5c49-b88c
Old 09-03-20, 01:05 PM
GAtkins

That's awesome. I've already called and emailed them to no avail. I didn't see anything in your link related to my specific issue, but thanks for playing.

Glenn
Old 09-03-20, 01:25 PM
MikeEckhaus

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Seems strange that they all have the same problem. Stupid question, and please don't be mad at me for suggesting it, but have you made sure the key was turned counterclockwise all the way before inserting the male end? I know, it's like asking if the computer is actually on when you call Apple tech support, but I was just trying to think of what could cause all of them to have the same problem. Do they physically work and just not look right, or do they not work? IIRC, they do draw in a little as you are tightening the threads with the key. Also, I'm not totally sure they go all the way in when engaged. My 1up locks are at home, so I can see what mine look like when engaged later tonight.
Old 09-03-20, 01:48 PM
GAtkins

Originally Posted by MikeEckhaus
Seems strange that they all have the same problem. Stupid question, and please don't be mad at me for suggesting it, but have you made sure the key was turned counterclockwise all the way before inserting the male end? I know, it's like asking if the computer is actually on when you call Apple tech support, but I was just trying to think of what could cause all of them to have the same problem. Do they physically work and just not look right, or do they not work? IIRC, they do draw in a little as you are tightening the threads with the key. Also, I'm not totally sure they go all the way in when engaged. My 1up locks are at home, so I can see what mine look like when engaged later tonight.
Well, it turns out that the computer was off. Gawd! That worked. Thank you. That is the single-most counter intuitive situation I have encountered in a very long time - tightening a bolt with a key - unreal.

Either that wasn't in the instructions or I missed it (more likely). I can't tell you how much I appreciate your help. Is it safe to use the rack with just the Security Hitch Bolt screwed in with the Security wrench? It seems so, but then again, I'm not sure. Again, many thanks.

Glenn

Old 09-03-20, 02:29 PM
MikeEckhaus

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Glad it worked out. Free fixes are the best kind. On your security bolt/wrench question, I assume you mean the hex key/Allen wrench that fits into the end of the hitch and tightens the rack to the hitch? If so, yes, it's totally safe. Everything beyond that is just insurance. Just make sure it's tight. The keyed hitch lock isn't for attaching the hitch, it's just to keep someone from stealing it. Enjoy!
Old 09-03-20, 02:31 PM
GAtkins

Originally Posted by MikeEckhaus
Glad it worked out. Free fixes are the best kind. On your security bolt/wrench question, I assume you mean the hex key/Allen wrench that fits into the end of the hitch and tightens the rack to the hitch? If so, yes, it's totally safe. Everything beyond that is just insurance. Just make sure it's tight. The keyed hitch lock isn't for attaching the hitch, it's just to keep someone from stealing it. Enjoy!
OK, that's what I thought but wanted to make sure. Thanks again.

Glenn
Old 09-03-20, 02:52 PM
August West

Bikes: Domane SLR7 Project One

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by GAtkins
OK, that's what I thought but wanted to make sure. Thanks again.

Glenn
I'd make sure to attached the safety strap to the hitch also. It will keep the rack from detaching from the hitch and skidding down the road with your bike should the tightening mechanism ever loosen up.
Old 09-03-20, 09:05 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2749 Post(s)
Liked 2,516 Times in 1,422 Posts
Originally Posted by August West
I'd make sure to attached the safety strap to the hitch also. It will keep the rack from detaching from the hitch and skidding down the road with your bike should the tightening mechanism ever loosen up.
If the OP has the lock that goes through the hitch pin holes, then it will take care of that.
Old 09-04-20, 07:44 AM
GAtkins

What safety strap do you use?

Originally Posted by Kapusta
If the OP has the lock that goes through the hitch pin holes, then it will take care of that.
Yes I do have the locking hitch pin.

Thanks.

Glenn
Old 09-04-20, 09:01 AM
August West

Good point. Mine is one of the original 1 ¼" w/ 2" adapter bolted on so I wan't thinking of the 2" with the through pin.
Old 09-04-20, 09:06 AM
August West

What safety strap do you use?

Yes I do have the locking hitch pin.

Thanks.

Glenn
Then you won't need the strap. Mine is has the 1 ¼" w/ 2" adapter where the locking hitch pin isn't an option. It came with a velcro strap that would keep the rack from sliding out if it came loose. I kind of wish my was the 2" and if I used it more than I do I'd probably upgrade it but since it doesn't get a ton of use I'm just keeping the 1 ¼" + adapter.
Old 09-04-20, 09:10 AM
GAtkins

Then you won't need the strap. Mine is has the 1 ¼" w/ 2" adapter where the locking hitch pin isn't an option. It came with a velcro strap that would keep the rack from sliding out if it came loose. I kind of wish my was the 2" and if I used it more than I do I'd probably upgrade it but since it doesn't get a ton of use I'm just keeping the 1 ¼" + adapter.
Good to know, thank you.

Glenn
Old 09-04-20, 12:31 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

I had the 1-1/4” version and upgraded it to 2” by buying the 2” hitch bar with side plates: https://www.1up-usa.com/product/2-hi...h-side-plates/
Old 09-04-20, 01:33 PM
sarhog

Bikes: GR300, Grail, Live Wire, 5010

Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 241 Times in 121 Posts
I had the 1-1/4” version and upgraded it to 2” by buying the 2” hitch bar with side plates: https://www.1up-usa.com/product/2-hi...h-side-plates/
I had to do the opposite. I originally had the 2” version, but I traded my truck for a VW GTI, and I had to go with a 1 1/4” receiver, so I bought the parts from One Up USA to convert the rack to a 1 1/4”.

Old 09-04-20, 01:38 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Originally Posted by sarhog
I had to do the opposite. I originally had the 2” version, but I traded my truck for a VW GTI, and I had to go with a 1 1/4” receiver, so I bought the parts from One Up USA to convert the rack to a 1 1/4”.

Well, shoot. We could have just traded.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 09-04-20, 02:53 PM
BoraxKid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 72 Posts
All,

I can't get my 1Up hitch pin to engage with the inside of the lock mechanism. The pic below shows as far as it will go in before bottoming out on the internal female threads.

Of course the male screw thread is rectangular as well as the portion you can see right where it inters the lock. I think the non-threaded rectangular portion of the screw is supposed to go all the way in past the lip in the female side so that it can then be turned to engage the internal threads.

Seems that the pin bottoms out on the internal thread before the rectangular piece clears the opening in the lock.

The wheel locks have the same problem.

Any ideas?

Thanks much.

Glenn
Those parts all look brand new. If they don't fit together easily, I would suspect a manufacturing defect from shoddy worksmanship. It might be best to return that rack and buy a Thule instead.
Old 09-04-20, 07:45 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Originally Posted by BoraxKid
Those parts all look brand new. If they don't fit together easily, I would suspect a manufacturing defect from shoddy worksmanship..
Nope
Old 09-04-20, 08:15 PM
Rogerogeroge

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR 9; Moots Routt YBB; Trek Fuel EX8+; LeMond Poprad

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 176 Times in 100 Posts

That is one of many reasons they are awesome, but sorry that in a way you had to 'downgrade'.
Old 09-04-20, 08:17 PM
Rogerogeroge

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR 9; Moots Routt YBB; Trek Fuel EX8+; LeMond Poprad

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 176 Times in 100 Posts
Originally Posted by BoraxKid
Those parts all look brand new. If they don't fit together easily, I would suspect a manufacturing defect from shoddy worksmanship. It might be best to return that rack and buy a Thule instead.
Really? OP already found the silly solution. Have you ever used a 1Up?
Likes For Rogerogeroge:
Old 09-04-20, 09:50 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 1,252 Times in 724 Posts
That's awesome. I've already called and emailed them to no avail. I didn't see anything in your link related to my specific issue, but thanks for playing.

Glenn
What a wonderful person you are to be so kind to someone who actually offered help. Wow.
Old 09-04-20, 11:00 PM
GAtkins

Originally Posted by phughes
What a wonderful person you are to be so kind to someone who actually offered help. Wow.
Thank you.

Glenn
Old 09-05-20, 01:58 PM
August West

Do you still have the 2" hitch and side plates that you want to get rid of?
Old 09-07-20, 07:11 AM
sarhog

Bikes: GR300, Grail, Live Wire, 5010

Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 241 Times in 121 Posts
Do you still have the 2" hitch and side plates that you want to get rid of?
I do. Are you interested in buying it?
Old 09-08-20, 11:23 AM
BoraxKid

Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 72 Posts
Originally Posted by Rogerogeroge
Really? OP already found the silly solution. Have you ever used a 1Up?
Haha, yeah I guess I should have read farther down the thread before smashing reply. Operator error strikes again!

Seriously though, IME if something doesn't work when it's brand new, it usually either operator error or a poorly designed product. OP's situation seems to be a product of both, as it is not common at all to use a key to screw something into place. If the 1UP rack were designed better, its operation would have been intuitive for OP and there would have been nothing to post about.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.