Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Looking for a low-cost alternative to presta rim grommet

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-21, 06:32 PM
aggiegrads

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 309 Times in 180 Posts

Does anybody have a low-cost but safe alternative to presta rim grommets? Something that they have used successfully like a washer, o-ring, or something else that doesn’t cost a buck and a half per tube?

I’m looking for a replacement for these to use a presta tube when I have a rim drilled for schrader.

Old 02-02-21, 06:36 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
Try a "rubber" insulating grommet. grommets | McMaster-Carr They have been used for decades for this bike application. However you'll find then a sorry sub for the Wheels Al version. Andy
Old 02-02-21, 06:41 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1787 Post(s)
Liked 1,260 Times in 869 Posts
$3/bike until you install Schraeder tubes.
Likes For Bill Kapaun:
Old 02-02-21, 06:45 PM
Juan el Boricua

Bikes: 1980's Royce Union "fixed wheel", 1995 Trek 370, 406 -wheeled " shopper/minivelo"for running errands, SS Raleigh M60

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 46 Posts
I made my set of "wheel savers" because I had the materials and basic tooling BITD; a buck and a half is pretty inexpensive for something reusable, specialized (as it's only purpose), and seldom needed in this time and age, and If I were to need them again, I'd bite the bullet and buy them. Just like Andrew said, anything else will not last as long, or work as good; just my $0.02.
Likes For Juan el Boricua:
Old 02-02-21, 06:51 PM
aggiegrads

Thanks all. It looks like the best options are not significantly cheaper. This is for refurb bikes where the bike already has presta tubes that are good, but are on 26 rims drilled for Schrader. I burned through my stock of 3 pairs last week refurbing bikes for the local non-profit.

I'll buy a handful of the grommets or pay more attention to the compatibility of what I pick up in the future from the co-op.
Old 02-02-21, 07:22 PM
mack_turtle
n00b

Bikes: Surly Karate Monkey, Twin Six Standard Rando

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 273 Posts
How cheap is cheap enough for you? Those adapters can be found at any be shop for pocket change.
Old 02-02-21, 07:59 PM
travbikeman

Bikes: State 4130 Custom, Giant Trance 29

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 123 Posts
Wal Mart even has these for only 89 cents:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Schrader-Presta-Rubber-Rim-Hole-and-Adaptor/

(never mind the $6 delivery fee) ​​​​​​​
Old 02-02-21, 08:16 PM
aggiegrads

Originally Posted by mack_turtle
How cheap is cheap enough for you? Those adapters can be found at any be shop for pocket change.
Well, I am refurbing bikes out of my own pocket, so I was hoping that I could get them for "shop supplies" prices rather than "spare parts" prices.

I have purchased lube, grease, 50m rolls of 4mm and 5mm housing, bottles of loose balls, cable tips, and ferrules. I don't mind donating the shop supplies, but replacement parts start to get expensive when you start adding cable inner wires, tubes, grips, bar tape, chains, etc. Grommets are cheaper than tubes, but more expensive than cable end caps.
Old 02-02-21, 09:27 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 2,977 Times in 1,614 Posts
Cheapest option of all... don't bother.

Works fine, lasts long time.
Likes For DiabloScott:
Old 02-02-21, 09:50 PM
Bimmer69

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 26 Posts
You could try just wrapping some tape around the lower part of the stem.
Or get a pack of rubber grommets (I’m not sure of the exact size).
Old 02-03-21, 08:48 AM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 674 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 429 Posts
I also vote for the don't bother approach. Or use the Continental tubes that have a threaded stem and the reversible nut with the adapter built in, but that's more expensive unless you need the tubes anyway.
Old 02-03-21, 09:42 AM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,058 Times in 742 Posts
Originally Posted by andrewclaus
I also vote for the don't bother approach. Or use the Continental tubes that have a threaded stem and the reversible nut with the adapter built in, but that's more expensive unless you need the tubes anyway.
+1 or 2? Check the tubes that you have as they may already have the reducer stem nut included. I'm pretty sure even Panaracer tubes include them and their tubes are on the less expensive side.
Old 02-03-21, 11:23 AM
aggiegrads

Originally Posted by Crankycrank
+1 or 2? Check the tubes that you have as they may already have the reducer stem nut included. I'm pretty sure even Panaracer tubes include them and their tubes are on the less expensive side.
I have plenty of "reducer" presta nuts. They help center the stem, but do not prevent tube herniation, which is the problem that I am trying to prevent. I worry that the recipients of these bikes will simply inflate to recommended sidewall pressures (~70 PSI for the commuter tires that we install).

If I choose the "Do nothing" option, at what pressures do I need to worry about herniation? I'm looking for someone who already has data points, I prefer to not do my own experiments here.
Old 02-03-21, 11:34 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6200 Post(s)
Liked 4,202 Times in 2,358 Posts
Originally Posted by aggiegrads
I have plenty of "reducer" presta nuts. They help center the stem, but do not prevent tube herniation, which is the problem that I am trying to prevent. I worry that the recipients of these bikes will simply inflate to recommended sidewall pressures (~70 PSI for the commuter tires that we install).

If I choose the "Do nothing" option, at what pressures do I need to worry about herniation? I'm looking for someone who already has data points, I prefer to not do my own experiments here.
If you are worried about tube herniation, use two nuts. One on the under the rim and one on top. If you use two stepped ones, the stem should be locked in place even better.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 02-03-21, 12:31 PM
aggiegrads

Originally Posted by cyccommute
If you are worried about tube herniation, use two nuts. One on the under the rim and one on top. If you use two stepped ones, the stem should be locked in place even better.
Ah. Now this is a low cost solution. If a presta nut under the rim isn't a risk, then I will use that. I may also pick up a few 010 and 108 o-rings to see if either of those work.

Would small tube movements in the tube rub a hole on the knurled edge of the presta nut? Am I overthinking it?
Old 02-03-21, 12:50 PM
Bimmer69

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 26 Posts
Or a flat nylon washer on the rim side.
the nylon will have less of a chance of cutting the tube.
Likes For Bimmer69:
Old 02-03-21, 02:35 PM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,058 Times in 742 Posts

Another suggestion for this along with the others above is to use the stem nut on the outer rim side and make a washer from an old inner tube and put it on the stem on the inside of the rim. I've done this a couple of times for your same situation with 100 psi pressures and no issues. Just snug the stem nut lightly, super tight is not necessary.
Old 02-03-21, 03:10 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 2,977 Times in 1,614 Posts
Well my data point is 90psi is no problem in the last 6 years.
Likes For DiabloScott:
Old 02-03-21, 03:29 PM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 674 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 429 Posts
My wife has had Presta stems in Shrader rims with 90+ psi inflation for almost two decades. Never an issue.
Likes For andrewclaus:
Old 02-03-21, 04:10 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6200 Post(s)
Liked 4,202 Times in 2,358 Posts
Ah. Now this is a low cost solution. If a presta nut under the rim isn't a risk, then I will use that. I may also pick up a few 010 and 108 o-rings to see if either of those work.

Would small tube movements in the tube rub a hole on the knurled edge of the presta nut? Am I overthinking it?
Probably overthinking. Tubes don’t really move around that much.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 02-03-21, 05:59 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6177 Post(s)
Liked 4,794 Times in 3,306 Posts
Is there a community college or vo-tech that teaches CNC machining? Check and see if they have a CNC lathe and will let a student run you some of those you pictured in the OP. Those are simple to make, will be good experience for the student. Material cost is very low. The big cost comes in tooling setup which is essentially time.

Back in the days of CRT displays, I used to take bad CRT's to the local community college that had an electronics repair course and got them fixed for just the cost of the transistor or capacitor they needed.
Old 02-04-21, 12:56 AM
Geepig

Bikes: Romet Jubilat x 4, Wigry x 1, Turing x 1

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 151 Posts
I try to plan the bikes I purchase for resale along with the ones I accept in part exchange etc to minimise any outlays.

I am not sure how you arrange to get the bikes you work on, but for example I picked up three bikes recently where one was mostly good, one was so-so and the other rough, but by the time I had broken the rough one down to components I had most of what I needed for the good and so-so bikes. Anything left over that I don't think I will need gets sold on as parts. As you know, tires, tubes and cables soon get expensive, so I really look hard at the rough ones for good hubs and things to sell. Often they are rough only because they have been left to rust in a basement, while under that surface they are still a low mileage bike.
Old 02-04-21, 10:29 AM
BikeLite

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 93 Posts
The Panaracer Schrader-presta Valve Nut is sold in at least bags of 10 on ebay. It may be cheapest production thingy, but more practical may be nothing or wrap tape as others stated.
https://www.ebay.com/p/2255925853