Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

What did I do wrong with this tire? Was it my liners?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 02-04-21, 05:12 PM
5 mph

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 50 Posts

I was riding along on my Bianchi Pista andI heard a thumping noise in my rear tire.
I got off and saw a bulge on the side of the tire, near the rim and so big that it was hitting my frame.
It was freezing rain, 37 degrees, and I had 5 miles to home so yes I got on (no spare) and kept on riding. The bulge was so big the tire was jamming in the rear frame.
I got off and a few seconds later the tube blew. This is what it looks like. now
I used this tire for at almost 1000 miles with no issues. . I had Mr. Tuffy Tire liners inside .the tire. Tire pressure was okay, not high or low.
What did I do wrong? The Tire was a Schwalbe Durano, which is supposed to be a really tough tire. I only had it for three months.

Last edited by 5 mph; 02-04-21 at 11:47 PM.
Old 02-04-21, 05:21 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
Does every bad thing have to have a cause and reason? Change it and ride.

Or focus camera and try again!

Edit:
Excellent pic now. But why haven't you changed it yet for your next ride?

Last edited by Iride01; 02-05-21 at 09:23 AM.
Old 02-04-21, 05:45 PM
aggiegrads

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 309 Times in 180 Posts
Make sure that your brake pads don't contact the tire at any point in their travel.
Likes For aggiegrads:
Old 02-04-21, 06:13 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6147 Post(s)
Liked 4,093 Times in 2,325 Posts
Originally Posted by aggiegrads
Make sure that your brake pads don't contact the tire at any point in their travel.
+1. Given the location and length, that’s the most likely reason.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 02-04-21, 06:17 PM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Bikes: Giant Quasar & Fuji Roubaix

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 244 Posts
Originally Posted by aggiegrads
+2---Or you got a defective tire. But the last time I saw that scenario it was the brake pad touching the tire. Good luck
Old 02-04-21, 08:28 PM
kingjason

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Bigbus
+2---Or you got a defective tire. But the last time I saw that scenario it was the brake pad touching the tire. Good luck
Oddly enough I had a beach cruiser bulge a couple of tires. I think, and I mean think, probably a few pounds low on pressure and the garage lip caused it.
Old 02-04-21, 10:00 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
I'm also voting for brake pad hitting the tire. And jesus...how can you take a photo that bad w/ the quality of phone cameras these days? It's almost like you tried to screw it up.
Old 02-04-21, 10:59 PM
5 mph

Originally Posted by cxwrench
I'm also voting for brake pad hitting the tire. And jesus...how can you take a photo that bad w/ the quality of phone cameras these days? It's almost like you tried to screw it up.
I have no rear brake. So it was low tire pressure?
Old 02-04-21, 11:00 PM
5 mph

Originally Posted by Bigbus
No rear brake. I am assuming it was low tire pressure. Those tires are rated for 100 psi.
Old 02-05-21, 01:35 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4253 Post(s)
Liked 3,866 Times in 2,579 Posts
You should see some of my photos...I am terrible, granted my phone is rather old (we have moved forward 6 phones in the time mine has existed.

It could have been those hard tire liners and not enough pressure. I certainly wouldn't want to run things like Mr. Tuffys in any of my tires. It also could have been a defect but defective Schwalbe tires are few and far between.

If I am really desperate to not have flats I will make sure I have installed a good rim strip properly, used decent tubes and a good puncture resistant tire (like a Continental Gator HardShell) in the widest width I can fit on the bike and make sure it is at the proper pressure. I would also check the tires regularly for any wear or damage and replace them as needed. I would also make sure to have brakes on the bike (set up properly) just so I can stop instead of potentially wearing out a tire by leaving skid marks in my undies.
Old 02-05-21, 09:20 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
<grin> You must be younger than 45 or are one of the few that doesn't need readers <grin>

I quite often am guilty of snapping pics that don't auto-focus on the right thing and don't know till I examine the pic later when I have access to my reading glasses.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 02-05-21, 10:30 AM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
Riding any distance with an underinflated tire can cause this to happen. Narrow tires need a lot of pressure, and unless you are checking with a gauge you might not even realize you are underinflated.

I also have seen defective tires where the sidewalls where it meets the bead cannot handle its rated pressure long term, but that is rare, and was generally only one manufacturer that you would most commonly get it (Specialized), in my experience.
Old 02-05-21, 11:05 AM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 835 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 741 Posts
I'm guessing the tube was caught under the tire bead which started the bulge and you kept riding it which caused the tire/tube to hit the frame causing damage to the tire and blowing the tube. Just a guess though. Check your rim for any sharp edges or gouges or other damage, mount new tire and make sure the tube is not pinched under the bead and be done with it. It could possibly be a defective tire too so you should contact Schwalbe with a photo of the unmounted tire and see what they say. Who knows, you may get the tire replaced under a warranty. New photo looks much better.
Old 02-05-21, 05:27 PM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 241 Posts
My guess is it's a bad idea to use a stiff cold liner. Are there really thorns about in winter?
Let's see the inside of the tire. Bound to show more than the outside.
Old 02-05-21, 08:23 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 978 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 395 Posts
Originally Posted by GamblerGORD53
My guess is it's a bad idea to use a stiff cold liner.
I've been using Mr. Tuffy tire liners for years in my commuter bike's tires. I have never had a flat since I've been using them.
This is my "winter" commuter, so the liners probably can't be much stiffer. Ironically, the reason I use them is because the studded tires ("Marathon Winter") on my bike eventually have "wear-through" of the studs into the inside of the tire. This would (and did) cause flats, and there's not much worse than a flat during a snowy winter commute. The liners prevent these flats, do not cause their own flats, and extend the service life of the studded tires by at least one or two seasons.

EDIT: Here's an image of the inside of a Marathon Winter tire near the end of its service life; you can see why a liner would help!

This is what salt and slush do to a studded tire after a couple or three winters. It might last another season with a liner.

Last edited by sweeks; 02-05-21 at 08:29 PM.
Likes For sweeks: