Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

What can be done with my chrome fork that developed rust?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-21, 09:34 AM
h_curtis

Bikes: 80's Roberts road bike, Nashiki, ECR, Guerciotti and Penny Farthing

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 24 Posts

Not sure what to do about this situation. I rode this bike as my commuter for years and the salt took its toll. Can someone fix this? The fork is actually pretty unique on this Guerciotti track bike. The fork is more rounded than any fork I have seen and also quite straight with very little rack, so replacement would be wildly hard to find. Not to mention it is a 60cm, so large. Thanks for any help.

Old 03-15-21, 09:37 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
You could try evaporust gel. I've had good luck with it. Also try aluminum foil dipped in salt water:

Slippery Rock Gazette | Restoring Chrome? How to Remove Rust from Chrome Using Aluminum Foil.
Likes For bikemig:
Old 03-15-21, 09:47 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1143 Post(s)
Liked 1,740 Times in 961 Posts
First I would try spit and finger nail, second would be foil and water, next for me would chemical navel jelly or similar type.

Can we see the whole bike? That's the size I wish my track frame was.
Likes For Mr. 66:
Old 03-15-21, 10:34 AM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 2,181 Times in 1,183 Posts
OP,
There is no chrome left underneath the rust so any of the above would work....My concern would be to get the rust out of the inside of the fork, maybe an evapor-rust bath would be better in this case. You might also want to consider some preventive maintenance on the entire frame. There is corrosion going on in the internals so it's best to keep it at bay.
Note in the future clean the salt of the bike every so often, I know there isn't Ziebart for bikes, but frame saver or a similar product might keep it on the road a bit longer....
Good Luck, Ben

Voice recognition may sometimes create odd spelling and grammatical errors

Likes For xiaoman1:
Old 03-15-21, 10:43 AM
thinktubes 
weapons-grade bolognium

Bikes: Battaglin Cromor, Ciocc Designer 84, Schwinn Superior 1981

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 2,378 Times in 891 Posts
The fork on my Ciocc looked like this when I got it. Cleaned up OK in an Oxalic Acid bath. As xiaoman1 mentioned, the chrome was gone, but it removed the rust, and allowed me to maintain things.

Old 03-15-21, 10:48 AM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Quoted: 3015 Post(s)
Liked 3,804 Times in 1,408 Posts
Remove the rust. Pick whatever method floats your boat. Simple car wax will protect any bare metal from further rust. Needs to be reapplied on occasion. Clear coat will work too, but I prefer not to be so evasive.

If your concern is cosmetic, the most expensive option is to rechrome. A cheaper option option is to polish the bare metal, it will be pretty close to looking like the remaining chrome. Buy yourself some 220, 400, 600, 800, 1000, 1500 and 2000 grit sandpaper. Spend the next available 4 hours or so sanding/polishing and Bob's yer uncle.
Likes For iab:
Old 03-15-21, 10:53 AM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4512 Post(s)
Liked 6,383 Times in 3,669 Posts
Originally Posted by h_curtis
Not sure what to do about this situation. I rode this bike as my commuter for years and the salt took its toll. Can someone fix this? The fork is actually pretty unique on this Guerciotti track bike. The fork is more rounded than any fork I have seen and also quite straight with very little rack, so replacement would be wildly hard to find. Not to mention it is a 60cm, so large. Thanks for any help.

Send it to Franklin frame or Yellow Jersey, they will have it rechromed $$$$.
Old 03-15-21, 11:01 AM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 2,181 Times in 1,183 Posts
Originally Posted by thinktubes
The fork on my Ciocc looked like this when I got it. Cleaned up OK in an Oxalic Acid bath. As xiaoman1 mentioned, the chrome was gone, but it removed the rust, and allowed me to maintain things.

Great photo of what is underneath the rust....once it appears if it is not very corroded a light clean and polish will make it less noticeable. When it gets to this stage only options are re-chroming (expensive!) sand primer and paint to match frame or sand and clearcoat.
I guess you could also use a metal foil tope that AC contractors use if careful with the application. I have used it as a chain protector on the rear stay of a few of my bikes and it looks like chrome if applied

The surface will need to be sanded completely smooth in order to have a maximum positive effect...it also wrinkles quite easily.
It does wrinkle if one is not careful.
Best, Ben

Voice recognition may sometimes create odd spelling and grammatical errors

Old 03-15-21, 11:01 AM
jeirvine 

Bikes: '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '72 Gitane tandem, '72 Raleigh Super Course, '73 Raleigh Gran Sport, '73 Colnago Super, '76 Fiorelli Coppi, '78 Raleigh SBDU Team Pro, '78 Trek 930, '81 Holdsworth Special 650B, '86 Masi GC, ’94 Bridgestone RB-T

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 786 Post(s)
Liked 520 Times in 281 Posts
Franklin Frame re-chromed my Colnago fork for $120. Only the crown needed to be presentable, so a whole fork may be more - esp one with pitting. Worth asking though.
Old 03-15-21, 04:09 PM
h_curtis

Originally Posted by Mr. 66
First I would try spit and finger nail, second would be foil and water, next for me would chemical navel jelly or similar type.

Can we see the whole bike? That's the size I wish my track frame was.
Here it is when I bought it.

Old 03-15-21, 04:10 PM
h_curtis

Originally Posted by jeirvine
Franklin Frame re-chromed my Colnago fork for $120. Only the crown needed to be presentable, so a whole fork may be more - esp one with pitting. Worth asking though.
Thanks. Seems like a good option.
Old 03-15-21, 05:14 PM
Pcampeau

Bikes: 1968 Raleigh Super Course, 1972 Raleigh Professional, 1975 Raleigh International, 1978 Raleigh Professional, 1985 Raleigh Prestige, 1972 Schwinn Paramount, 1980 Schwinn Voyageur 11.8, 1960 Carlton Franco Suisse Peugeot PX10, 1972 Motobecane Le Champ

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 351 Posts
In this case, with the fork being so difficult to replace, and the bike being worthy, I’d go for the rechrome if it were mine.
Old 03-15-21, 06:38 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1303 Post(s)
Liked 1,911 Times in 1,141 Posts
h_curtis,
I currently have a Masi fork out for re-chroming in a shop about 60 miles from me. When it come back I can post pics of the finished product and I am going to put them in the powder coaters you like thread. Smiles, MH
Old 03-15-21, 07:48 PM
h_curtis

Originally Posted by Pcampeau
In this case, with the fork being so difficult to replace, and the bike being worthy, I’d go for the rechrome if it were mine.
Yeah, I am thinking that as well thanks to all the replies here. My bike is used and has some little dings and scratches, but I ride all my bikes. Still it is one heck of a great fixed track bike that is nice and tall for me. One of my favorite bikes to ride for sure.
Old 03-15-21, 07:49 PM
h_curtis

Originally Posted by Mad Honk
h_curtis,
I currently have a Masi fork out for re-chroming in a shop about 60 miles from me. When it come back I can post pics of the finished product and I am going to put them in the powder coaters you like thread. Smiles, MH
That would be great. What kind of turnaround time if you send it out to them? I hate to be without my fixed in the summer months.
Old 03-16-21, 08:34 AM
tiger1964 

Bikes: Drysdale/Gitane/Zeus/Masi/Falcon/Palo Alto/Raleigh/Legnano

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 984 Post(s)
Liked 634 Times in 404 Posts
Originally Posted by xiaoman1
I guess you could also use a metal foil tope that AC contractors use if careful with the application. I have used it as a chain protector on the rear stay of a few of my bikes and it looks like chrome if applied
Well, isn't that clever! And I have a roll here. Interestingly, I was shopping online for chain stay protectors recently, expecting to see the stick-on chrome finish molded plastic ones I recall from my youth... and all I see now is basically a film. I would not expect much protection from that. That said, your solution would cost me $0.00

Old 03-16-21, 08:42 AM
CoachPerry19

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Agree with iAB

Think iAB has the right approach, sand it up and polish that puppy. End up with something like SimiChrome and it'll shine. Might even go deeper with the sand paper to a 2500 or 3000 grit