Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Cheap Chinese Carbon Frames -- Opinions?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Cheap Chinese Carbon Frames -- Opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-09, 11:50 AM
dsx724
Enthusiastic Goon

Bikes: Rolling on dubz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here's a bike I built with a frame from eBay. I just finished it this morning actually. 52 cm T700 frame. $1750 for the entire bike and tools.

https://gal.12scenicpoint.com/v/cycli...ghlightId=3878

Psimet is awesome! (love the Rival group)

There are one or two cosmetic blemishes but nothing serious. I can see why factories rejected them and they go for so cheap. The frames are sold around at just about material costs but thats better than losing several hundred dollars which is hard to recover given the tight margins asian manufactures have to work with.

Last edited by dsx724; 08-07-09 at 12:09 PM.
Old 08-16-09, 04:59 PM
gjosuem
aka Josh

Bikes: Nashbar Hybrid, Scott CR1, Specialized Cross

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
the bike looks very nice, congrats
Old 08-16-09, 05:17 PM
BHBiker
CERVEL-LIZED!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If it breaks...who do you contact?
Old 08-16-09, 05:25 PM
Cue
Banned.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 477 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by BHBiker
It's less than $400, buy another one. If it ever breaks twice, you're still ahead of the person who shelled out $2000 on a frameset.
Old 08-16-09, 05:35 PM
dsx724
Enthusiastic Goon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BHBiker
The frame is 1100 grams, I highly doubt that it will break. If it does break, I'll email the guy back. They take their customer relations more seriously than some company's "Customer Service" here. Plus, I didn't spend a fortune on it.

And yes, $1600 is a damn expensive warranty, I hope injury is included in that insurance policy.

Last edited by dsx724; 08-16-09 at 05:41 PM.
Old 08-16-09, 05:40 PM
dauphin

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by dsx724
Here's a bike I built with a frame from eBay. I just finished it this morning actually. 52 cm T700 frame. $1750 for the entire bike and tools.

https://gal.12scenicpoint.com/v/cycli...ghlightId=3878

Psimet is awesome! (love the Rival group)

There are one or two cosmetic blemishes but nothing serious. I can see why factories rejected them and they go for so cheap. The frames are sold around at just about material costs but thats better than losing several hundred dollars which is hard to recover given the tight margins asian manufactures have to work with.
I've seen that frame on Ebay...that head tube should make it pretty identifiable as to what brand the bike was intended to be. Any idea on what it would have been?
Old 08-16-09, 06:00 PM
grafik1979

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How could you even consider this
Old 08-16-09, 06:04 PM
dauphin

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Is it just me or does the fork on this no name carbon frame look like the one on the Pinarello?

https://cgi.ebay.com/Full-Carbon-Road...#ht_2013wt_958

https://www.mallarte.com/Images/pinarello_paris.jpg
Old 08-16-09, 06:08 PM
markwebb
The Recycled Cycler

Bikes: Real Steel. Really. Ti is cool, too !

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
But ya don't ride a sax 40mph down a winding mountain pass and expect it to hold together

Originally Posted by Quel
Kind of interesting to me, because you are seeing the same thing with one of my other hobbies: saxophone. Sax production was historically based in Europe (Selmer) or the USA (Conn, etc), and then the japanese built a good industry out of it (Yamaha, Yanagisawa). Now a days, Chinese and Taiwanese horns are starting to be built up. For years they were trash, student level at best, but recently they've started to produce some very good horns that could be played by a professional. Tons of no-name branded horns shipped to the states and finalized by Americans before being rebranded, so lots of smaller shops.

Is there a difference between a $5-6000 horn made in Paris and the $1-1500 one built in Taiwan or China? Yes, there is. But is it 3-4 times better? No way. Same with lots of other high end equipment, you really start to pay out the butt to get marginal improvments once you reach a certain point. And the Asian horns are getting better every month.

Same thing could be happening with road bikes. Seems like a good business opportunity for some young bike pro to take advantage of. Get frames from China/Tiawn, inspect them to check for quality issues, rebrand them and sell. That's basically all the big brand manufacturers are doing now anyways, but with more overhead costs that add to the final cost.
Old 08-17-09, 08:15 AM
karesz3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Generic Carbon Frames

From listening to people in the bike business, it appears that there is a huge difference in quality between a factory in China vs. Taiwan. It's apples to oranges since the Taiwanese quality is way superior to anything coming out of China.

Cheers
Old 08-17-09, 08:32 AM
noise boy

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD9

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 498 Times in 300 Posts
Originally Posted by dauphin
Is it just me or does the fork on this no name carbon frame look like the one on the Pinarello?

https://cgi.ebay.com/Full-Carbon-Road...#ht_2013wt_958

https://www.mallarte.com/Images/pinarello_paris.jpg
they do look remarkably similar, especially the forks.
Old 08-17-09, 11:05 AM
logdrum
Headset-press carrier

Bikes: Kona with Campy 8, Lynskey Ti with Rival, Bianchi pista, Raleigh Team Frame with SRAM Red, Specialized Stump Jumper, Surley Big Dummy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Quel
Kind of interesting to me, because you are seeing the same thing with one of my other hobbies: saxophone. Sax production was historically based in Europe (Selmer) or the USA (Conn, etc), and then the japanese built a good industry out of it (Yamaha, Yanagisawa). Now a days, Chinese and Taiwanese horns are starting to be built up. For years they were trash, student level at best, but recently they've started to produce some very good horns that could be played by a professional. Tons of no-name branded horns shipped to the states and finalized by Americans before being rebranded, so lots of smaller shops.

Is there a difference between a $5-6000 horn made in Paris and the $1-1500 one built in Taiwan or China? Yes, there is. But is it 3-4 times better? No way. Same with lots of other high end equipment, you really start to pay out the butt to get marginal improvments once you reach a certain point. And the Asian horns are getting better every month.

Same thing could be happening with road bikes. Seems like a good business opportunity for some young bike pro to take advantage of. Get frames from China/Tiawn, inspect them to check for quality issues, rebrand them and sell. That's basically all the big brand manufacturers are doing now anyways, but with more overhead costs that add to the final cost.
Another sax player. I have to say Japanese horns had been good from the get go, not Chinese horns though
Old 08-17-09, 11:51 AM
phallenthoul

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by karesz3
From listening to people in the bike business, it appears that there is a huge difference in quality between a factory in China vs. Taiwan. It's apples to oranges since the Taiwanese quality is way superior to anything coming out of China.

Cheers
20 pro teams in TDF 2009.
11 use made-in-China frames.
6 made-in-Taiwan.
3 made-in-France.
1 made-in-USA.

09 Christmas Groupbuy Started
PM me to join My Mail List
Old 08-17-09, 12:22 PM
dsx724
Enthusiastic Goon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by phallenthoul
20 pro teams in TDF 2009.
11 use made-in-China frames.
6 made-in-Taiwan.
3 made-in-France.
1 made-in-USA.
Shhh! Its a secret only for people behind the curtain. Don't let them know that we're taking over the world.
Old 08-17-09, 12:30 PM
NormanF

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
I think it depends on whether people want to pay more for a prestige label. Nashbar and Performance have shown it isn't necessary. And the market seems to agree.
Old 08-17-09, 01:19 PM
DannoXYZ 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Well, $286 really is not that cheap for CF frame. Add in a gruppo and assembly labour, taxes, shipping and you're close to the retail price of many complete CF bikes.