Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

What is the oldest tool that you use frequently?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-21, 02:31 PM
aggiegrads

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 309 Times in 180 Posts

What is your oldest tool that you use frequently? Bonus points for a cool backstory.

The oldest tool on my main workbench is my vise. It is a Craftsman branded model 5184 which is a rebranded Reed 203R. The date stamp tells me that it was manufactured in June of 1944. A worker in Erie, PA set that date stamp a few days before or a few days after Allied forces stormed Normandy.

Unfortunately, I don’t know the history of this vise, but is has help up extremely well. There are some signs of hammering, sawing or grinding on the tops of the jaws, but the slide is in near perfect condition. It still has most of the original blue paint, with some platters of paint dripped off of some project long ago.

My oldest bike specific tool is my Park 3 sided SW2 spoke wrench. I am the original owner. If I had to estimate, I purchased it around 1985 to care for my abused BMX wheels. No great stories; I wished I used it more, but most of my current wheel sets use the smaller SW0 key.

So what is your oldest tool?
Likes For aggiegrads:
Old 02-06-21, 03:08 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1787 Post(s)
Liked 1,261 Times in 870 Posts
I purchased most of my common wrenches/sockets 50+ years ago.
Likes For Bill Kapaun:
Old 02-06-21, 03:26 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
My Craftsman 1/4" and 3/8" socket sets, ratchets. combination wrench set and screwdrivers purchased in 1970 when I got my driver license and bought a car I had to service.
Old 02-06-21, 03:29 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Campy crank puller that's probably 30+ years old. Campy peanut butter wrench that's about 20 years old.
Old 02-06-21, 03:56 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3657 Post(s)
Liked 5,394 Times in 2,739 Posts
This small screwdriver belonged to my grandfather. I guess he could have acquired it from around 1900 to the early 1950s. I don't know what he might have used it for but I use it for derailleur limit screws. Probably some way to date it but I don't have a clue.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 02-06-21, 05:03 PM
surveyor6

Bikes: 1961 Higgins Flightliner

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 70 Posts
A big adjustable crescent wrench that I use on threaded headsets.
Old 02-06-21, 05:10 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Dad bought me a 10 speed Nishiki to go to high school in the mid 70s. I rode that bike everywhere. I bought myself a set of bike tools and a bike book, Richard's Bike Book. I didn't know much about tools but I'd read that you wanted wrenches that were at least "drop forged." The Hozan wrenches that came with the set of bike tools I bought are drop forged. I've bought "better" tools since then but these just fit my hands better. I took that bike apart to overhaul it. It took me one day to pull it apart. It took me a week or two to figure out how to put it back together again. The Nishiki is long gone but I picked up a Sekine SHS 271 that reminds me of the Nishiki with its turkey levers and "rat" trap pedals; it's a classic 70s bike. The Sekine SHS 271 with its chrome moly tubing, forged drop outs, and alloy wheels is nicer than my old Nishiki but I'm not getting rid of those turkey levers because they remind me of my old bike,

Last edited by bikemig; 02-06-21 at 05:16 PM.
Likes For bikemig:
Old 02-06-21, 07:35 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3583 Post(s)
Liked 3,395 Times in 1,929 Posts
The Gian Robert chain pliers is probably the oldest one in regular use here. Or maybe the VAR 3rd hand.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
gianrobert.jpg (13.7 KB, 204 views)
File Type: jpg
var-02.jpg (29.7 KB, 206 views)
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 02-06-21, 07:59 PM
elcraft
elcraft

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 72 Posts
Had my tools stolen on a two occasions. None of my tools are older than a 70’svintage Raleigh/ Rampar tool kit with Hozan double ended wrenches like Bikemig’s. Came with a cheap third hand/ brake shoe compressing spring, too.
Likes For elcraft:
Old 02-06-21, 08:08 PM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2152 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,203 Posts
Set of teeny ignition wrenches purchased to work on my Kawasaki S2; bought a dial indicator at the same time for the same purpose but don’t use it as much as the 8 and 10mm ignition wrenches.
Have a bunch of tools inherited from my father, most of the are of unknown provenance. Nice to think of him each time one of them is used.
Old 02-06-21, 08:59 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
I didn't start riding seriously until 1985 so many of my tool far predate that. Most of my common household and automobile tool were purchased in the late 1960's when we moved into our house and many, like metric wrenches, sockets, etc., have since been used for bike building, repairs and overhauls.
Old 02-06-21, 10:10 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4792 Post(s)
Liked 3,918 Times in 2,548 Posts
I just inherited a drill press vise that was my dad's. No idea on its age. It is now bolted to my press table. Wow. does it make drilling accurately easy! Even with old eyes. And I can take my glasses off to line the work up, then put them on to protect my eyes and nothing wanders while I cannot see so well! Love it. Frequently used? Well only about a dozen times so far, but probably 3/4s of my drillings the rest of my life.

The Stanley 9 1/2 block plane my dad gave me 50(?) years ago. (Fun tidbit: My dad gave my brother the same plane, only a Craftsman a couple of years later. He went on to become a carpenter with that plane one of his workhorses. We sat down one night and took our planes apart and compared. About 2/3rds of the parts, including the blade were tooled on the same machine with identical scratches.

Bike tools? I have some VAR tools from the '70s. A SunTour FW vise that gets used anytime I change FW cogs. A wire brake 3rd hand I've had forever. Park spoke wrenches? I occasionally misplace them and buy new. Their ages? Who knows? I built my first wheel with them around 1973. (I haven't used my red and green ones a long time so they might be my originals.) Adjust my headsets with a 12" non Crescent crescent wrench I've had since the '70s.

And recently acquired - also from my dad though he obtained it through family. Not super old but not recent by any measure. A grindstone. A classic grindstone; maybe 2 1/2" wide by 2' diameter mounted on old bearings bolted to a sawhorse-like mount. (The bearings look really old but also look and feel like very good ones.) Stone moves through a water tray. Driven with a foot pedal. Just set it up but I used it in its previous location when I had to lug my knives across country.
Old 02-06-21, 10:17 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 1,019 Times in 719 Posts
I've got a host of old tools I use regularly.
I've got 2 EC Stearns 30" bar clamps from 1883, I really like them and have tried to find more but they're a rarer version. They were a gift from a family friend who passed away the day before thanksgiving at the age of 91. He got them from his father in law.

Couple of hand planes, including a Stanley 220 block plane from 1880s that was gone over by someone who is a master gun etcher. Beautiful work, stays sharp enough to always get that slight swipe to perfect a fit.

Another hand plane is a rarer type stanley skew block plane with a removable side to double as a rabbit plane. Got this from my mother's father and belonged to my great grandfather who was a woodworker in the Brooklyn Navel Yard back in the 20s.

Have a fairly common Stanley 5 from the other side also belonged to a great grandfather.

Course all of them are kept sharp and in ready to work shape. Haven't been in the shop to work in about a year but I'm nearing the end of my thesis and I'll be starting to teach some homeschool kids how to do wood working in the spring.
Old 02-07-21, 12:34 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
I do have some old tools, like a hand drill but sadly nothing really that heavily used by me. I guess my Kingsbridge and Sugino Cone Wrenches would be the oldest in use and I do have an old Dura Ace Headset Wrench but I have used it once I think and that was before I got it at the shop from one of our ex-mechanics. Nothing against old tools I just hadn't started collecting them seriously till more recently.

There are some vintage tools I want to own just to own, like a English/BSA Campy Tool Kit, Dura Ace TL-RD10 (I would rather have the Abbey HAG for the actual job) and a Phil Wood Spoke Cutter (I may at some point try to buy the one at our other shop and get it repaired it is a lower serial number)
Old 02-07-21, 06:58 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2742 Post(s)
Liked 3,389 Times in 2,052 Posts
My hands.
Likes For dedhed:
Old 02-07-21, 07:07 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Originally Posted by elcraft
Had my tools stolen on a two occasions. None of my tools are older than a 70’svintage Raleigh/ Rampar tool kit with Hozan double ended wrenches like Bikemig’s. Came with a cheap third hand/ brake shoe compressing spring, too.
Yep I bought the exact same Raleigh/Rampar tool kit from a local shop that sold Raleighs. I so liked the Reynolds 531 Raleighs that were sold there especially the Grand Sports with the blue and white color scheme. Not that I could afford those in high school,
Old 02-07-21, 08:32 AM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 674 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 430 Posts
Originally Posted by elcraft
Had my tools stolen on a two occasions....
That's one of my biggest worries, getting any of my tool boxes stolen. Take my car, bike, anything in my house, but please leave my tools. They're not intrinsically very valuable, but they're irreplaceable and full of memories. Some of them have been handed down two generations, from the 1800s, like the block planes. Even the "modern" tools from the 1960s on that my dad bought for me as I became a teenager can't be replaced.

One of the power tools Dad gave me is one of the first variable speed reversible hand drills Black and Decker made, with a grounded metal case. I've tried to kill that drill on several jobs, but it keeps working. I check the brushes when I replace the power cord, and they're still good.

I was heartbroken when I had to replace the Channellock pliers he gave me. They were just too dull to use. I've replaced the jaws and springs on his old Ridgid pipe wrenches--those are good tools.

In the bike box, I think I still have my first spoke wrench and cone wrenches, from the 70s. Some metal tire irons from way back. I was the first and only family member to work on bikes, so no hand-me-downs there.
Old 02-07-21, 08:35 AM
aggiegrads

Originally Posted by veganbikes
There are some vintage tools I want to own just to own, like a English/BSA Campy Tool Kit, Dura Ace TL-RD10 (I would rather have the Abbey HAG for the actual job) and a Phil Wood Spoke Cutter (I may at some point try to buy the one at our other shop and get it repaired it is a lower serial number)
It looks like Park is finally coming out with an update to the DAG 2.2 which appears to address the usability issues. Keep an eye out for the DAG-3. The pivot loos the same, but the measuring pin looks more like the one one the EVT Ultra-true arc. It was a blurry photo, but it looks like a major improvement.
Old 02-07-21, 10:38 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Some of my common tools that I used are over 60 years old.
Old 02-07-21, 12:23 PM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 251 Posts
Originally Posted by dedhed
My hands.
Yeah, I was gonna say "I can't tell you but I know its mine".

On a more serious note I have a bunch of tools from my Dad's mfg shop. A set of Starrett punches from the 50s or 60s. A full set of Armstrong combination wrenches, probably from the same era. I still have some tools like cheapie (stamped steel) cone wrenhes and a crank puller from the 70s.
Old 02-07-21, 01:01 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

I just remembered a tool I use all the time. A French kitchen knife I inherited from my mom's aunt right after college. (I "wear" her name as my middle.) It was an old working kitchen knife then. From the moment I moved to my first apartment it became my day in and day out knife for almost everything. 10 years later my brother made me a knife that slowly took over most tasks, partly because the old knife was developing a hollow and no longed working on my cutting boards (which had their respective hollows). A re-shaping on an old grindstone brought it back to preferred status.

Wikipedia says the name on the blade dates back to the early to mid 1800s, been used continuously and by many knife manufacturers running from the very best to very mediocre. I could not find anything that identifies this knife. A list of 30 current and unique names was formalized in 1979 but I acquired this in 1975 and it was decades old then. How many? 3? 5? 7? I have no idea.

I love the knife, I have to be careful with it. The blade is very thin. It is easy to bend. Was not fully straight when I got it. Sharpens quickly to shave edge. Veggie greens part before contact! (Well ...) Fresh bread! Old, hard crust breads get my other knife. I stab hard crust fresh breads with the other knife then finish with this. Again, bending that old blade is easy.
Old 02-07-21, 01:11 PM
79pmooney

Originally Posted by andrewclaus

One of the power tools Dad gave me is one of the first variable speed reversible hand drills Black and Decker made, with a grounded metal case. I've tried to kill that drill on several jobs, but it keeps working. I check the brushes when I replace the power cord, and they're still good.

Early '80 when I was building boats, my boss gave me his well worn similar Milwaukee. It's since been my workhorse until I purchased an 18V cordless. Still gets used for bigger jobs and when several drill bits are needed. When this pandemic thing passes. its going to out local tool repair for a new cord. (They enjoy working on good stuff that gets used.)
Old 02-07-21, 02:06 PM
aggiegrads

Originally Posted by 79pmooney
Early '80 when I was building boats, my boss gave me his well worn similar Milwaukee. It's since been my workhorse until I purchased an 18V cordless. Still gets used for bigger jobs and when several drill bits are needed. When this pandemic thing passes. its going to out local tool repair for a new cord. (They enjoy working on good stuff that gets used.)
Ben, the knife and drill sound awesome. I have a Milwaukee drill that I got about 25 years ago and although it has a plastic handle, the working guts are all metal and the gear case is polished. I would love to have one of the old all-metal Milwaukee drills.

There are knife forums that are just as active as this one, you might be able to get more info there, even for a chef’s knife.
Old 02-07-21, 03:08 PM
Charliekeet

Bikes: S-Works Stumpjumper HT Disc, Fuji Absolute, Kona Jake the Snake, '85 Cannondale SR900

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 142 Posts
Some Bonney sockets/wrenches, and Nicholson files (not that I actually know what I’m doing with those, lol).
Old 02-07-21, 03:46 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2742 Post(s)
Liked 3,389 Times in 2,052 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
I have my Dad's ancient 1/2" Dunlap electric drill. Total torque machine. That thing will break your wrist if the bit catches and you're not holding it tight.
Also have his complete collection of various size Yankee screwdrivers, the original cordless screwdriver.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.