Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

How to Lose Me As a Loyal Customer

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 03-14-21, 11:59 AM
Danhedonia

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 95 Posts

Long-ish post, patience sought. Also, I realize that this involves Wahoo, but ask mods to leave it here because for me this post is about a customer relationship around cycling. Their focus on electronics is (IMO) not relevant. If anyone wants to tell me that my expectations are unrealistic, please be polite and I'll listen.

Background: purchased KICKR CORE in August, 2019. Had a medical situation which meant it wasn't unboxed until mid 2020. Began riding on it. Had one hiccup, emailed Wahoo, they were super-nice. Loved the trainer and good support; bought other Wahoo products (speed and cadence sensors, bike computer, HR monitor) in short order.

Recently, started seeing iron dust collect beneath flywheel and opened a customer inquiry via the website.

1. Got a response from a rep giving me a list of 5 "to do's," and a 5-day deadline. I will spare you the novel, but as a teacher who is being asked these days to a) simultaneously teach virtual and in-person students - and yes, I do mean simultaneously; b) disinfect the classroom as well as common areas because our janitors quit (bcos COVID); and c) attend various 'extra support' sessions - this was not going to happen. Figured I'd wait 'til Sunday to get it done.

Ticket was closed; I was sent an email asking "how did we do?" I clicked that link on Sunday. Also closed.

2. Opened another ticket, griped about quick deadlines. Got polite response from "lead rep." Said "thanks, let's solve this," and provided some of the info they had originally sought. Also had 3 suggestions for how they might improve product registration (really, they were along the lines of "include a QR code launching point-of-purchase photo of receipt").

** In my email, I stated that I was not seeking a replacement trainer, just some cooperative problem-solving, maybe a new flywheel.

3. Got a response this morning from 'lead rep' that tersely told me to pack up my trainer and ship it back with the attached FedEx label. Language added that basically said "don't expect to see a replacement right away."

Hey: no. I'm riding 12-14 hours a week on that trainer. It's my sanity in an environment that is difficult at best. This is why I'm posting in the main forum: can you imagine being told to stop riding for 3-4 weeks? I can't. WTF, Wahoo?

What's really missing is any - ANY - sense of "how can we help?" I'd be glad to front them $900 for a new trainer, and ship the old one back and they could refund me when they receive it satisfactorily. Or I could try installing a new flywheel (less wasteful, and probably all that's needed). I could do a lot.

But having people email me with orders instead of questions .... honestly? Nah. I'll just keep the trainer, and replace it with a Saris I guess, when the time comes.

BTW, would like to point out: I'm one of those people who when they unbox/buy something, religious follow the mfr's start-up instructions. (I used to work at a company where people's failure to do this caused them to suffer - I learned a lesson from that).

I update firmware. I register my purchases. I don't take shortcuts.

My view is that all Wahoo had to do was say "hey, what's wrong?" and then "what's your solution?" (Also btw: I did suggest just trying to replace the flywheel).

I get that things are difficult. And this isn't Burger King - I know they can't just overnight me a new trainer, and frankly I don't believe that effort is warranted (no pun intended). I'd just like to be talked to like a regular old person.

I've had people be more than gracious about stuff, and the only other company that has seemed so incredibly irritated with me for simply wanting to get what I paid for is Waste Management (nuf sed).
Old 03-14-21, 12:29 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,910 Times in 1,884 Posts
Originally Posted by Danhedonia
3. Got a response this morning from 'lead rep' that tersely told me to pack up my trainer and ship it back with the attached FedEx label. Language added that basically said "don't expect to see a replacement right away."

Hey: no. I'm riding 12-14 hours a week on that trainer. It's my sanity in an environment that is difficult at best. This is why I'm posting in the main forum: can you imagine being told to stop riding for 3-4 weeks? I can't. WTF, Wahoo?

What's really missing is any - ANY - sense of "how can we help?" I'd be glad to front them $900 for a new trainer, and ship the old one back and they could refund me when they receive it satisfactorily. Or I could try installing a new flywheel (less wasteful, and probably all that's needed).
Why not make this [clearly] known to the "reps" up front? Ask them for an alternative way to resolve the issue that will keep you rolling if your suggestion is not feasible.
Old 03-14-21, 12:49 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6882 Post(s)
Liked 10,873 Times in 4,637 Posts
Okay, here goes. Only my opinions. And I apologize, in advance, if I missed some info in your post.

You didn't give sufficient detail on your timeline, but it sounds like more than a year may have elapsed between the purchase and the warranty ticket; straightforward question: was your device still under warranty? If not, they are being gracious to work with you on anything other than a paid repair. (The health issue that kept you from using the device is irrelevant.) If it is under warranty, disregard this part.

As for your ideas about possible resolutions:
1) If this potentially is a warranty issue, of course Wahoo won't just send you a flywheel; they don't know that this will resolve the issue. They're not going to send you new parts without examining the device. And if they flywheel requires installation (I don't know how these things work), they will want to do the work themselves to ensure it's done properly.
2) You want them to send you a new device, you pay for it, and get reimbursed after returning your old one: this is how Apple resolves hardware problems. (Actually, they just take your CC info, and charge you IF the old device is not returned in the prepaid mailer.) This goes above and beyond what most companies will do, aside from Apple and a few others in my experience. Do you know that they actually have inventory to do this? b/c Covid, you know.

As for your frustrations about being without a device that is important to your sanity -- again, not Wahoo's problem, really. That's a personal issue. It doesn't change their procedure.

Honestly, and I offer this with the best intentions, I suspect that your frustration is coming through in your communications with them, and some of the "terseness" in their latest response may be, well, in response to your attitude. I know it's hard to keep your cool when you're upset, but it really helps in these situations. It's more likely to help you get a good resolution, and it also just makes life easier.

Let us know what happens.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 03-14-21, 12:51 PM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
This sort of response happens at every level of engagement. I've read several accounts of the events leading to the American Revolution for independence. You would think there would be not correspondence between your problem and that of the American colonist 245 years ago. The colonists beef was British Parliament had no authority to tax tax them, although they were loyal to the king. Their position was no taxation without representation. The result was that loyal colonists as early as 1750 or so slowly began to sour on Brtain and ultimately led to war. This short historic tale is not likely to be of comfort. It may be true that everyone today may be under pressure but if you are in business, it should not spill over into customer relations.
Old 03-14-21, 12:59 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul
Why not make this [clearly] known to the "reps" up front? Ask them for an alternative way to resolve the issue that will keep you rolling if your suggestion is not feasible.
Following along this line of thought, why not give them one more chance to make it right?

Just give a brief and dispassionate description of the facts and what Troul highlighted in red, and tell them you want to resolve this with minimum expense to them and disruption to your routine.

They seem like a good company and I am sure value customer satisfaction. Lots of people are going through some pretty serious stuff right now, so cutting slack might have to go both ways.
Old 03-14-21, 01:14 PM
Danhedonia

Troul and Koyote , totally appreciate the replies.

1. I never, ever mind being told "no, those are the rules." Multiple times - from initial product reg. to each of the two tickets I carefully mentioned the gap between purchase and unboxing. I did this not only because I do not want what I shouldn't have, but also because I know there are many iterations of the CORE.

2. It seems people missed where I said I wanted a simple back/forth problem-solve. I didn't tell them to send me a new flywheel - I suggested that I didn't require a whole, brand new trainer to feel OK about things. I was super nice about it.

3. In fact, I was super nice until the moment I got an email asking for a half dozen things to be done 'now.' Purchase record? Sure. But being told to provide a photo of the original receipt? C'mon, man. (Aside: I suggested that if this was important, they should ask for it when one registers one's product. Since you are basically compelled to do so on your phone (bcos firmware update), you could request customers photo the receipt 'as part of the process.')

Much more to the point the other stuff in the email indicated failure to read the ticket (I was asked to "photograph all rust" when the ticket mentioned DUST), and were time wasters (please describe history of use). Had it been a 15 minute request I'd have felt better. Without cutting/pasting, I'll also say the tone of the email was disconcertingly unpleasant.

4. My own attitude was fine. I know myself; I'm super-capable of pointing out when I rhyme with 'sick.' Expressing disappointment can be done without getting personal or accusatory.

5. Interesting point about my sanity vs. their process. I see both sides, and used to be part of a large business unit where we sold software to the public. Inevitably a lot of folks didn't follow directions and caused themselves heartache. My view on that has always been "if we can reasonably help them feel better, why not do it?"

Really, all I wanted was the exact same "what's going on?" that was provided by their other rep when I was confuzzled about the initial firmware update. It was easy-peasy, all my fault due to misunderstanding the directions, and no biggie.

Which makes #5 (thanks Koyote ) the real issue here: I agree that my sanity doesn't supercede their process, but c'mon, design a process that involves saying "what's happening?" I was actually weirded out how immediately they just wanted to replace the trainer.

berner Y'all got a weird metaphor but it works, in a way. I've had direct interaction with Shimano (awesome), Garneau (humiliated myself and THAT one was ALL my fault), SRAM (great), Specialized (corporate but fine, lol) and LBS's and co-ops. And REI's bike shop locally, FWIW. I like these people, and really feel like anything I get without a price tag is "extra."

In fact, I'd be willing to pay if not covered under warranty, and said so. It's not about money, it's just about helping me solve an issue - or, in Koyote's phrasing, not 100% forcing me into your business process.
Old 03-14-21, 01:24 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,910 Times in 1,884 Posts
Troul and Koyote , totally appreciate the replies.

1. I never, ever mind being told "no, those are the rules." Multiple times - from initial product reg. to each of the two tickets I carefully mentioned the gap between purchase and unboxing. I did this not only because I do not want what I shouldn't have, but also because I know there are many iterations of the CORE.

2. It seems people missed where I said I wanted a simple back/forth problem-solve. I didn't tell them to send me a new flywheel - I suggested that I didn't require a whole, brand new trainer to feel OK about things. I was super nice about it.

3. In fact, I was super nice until the moment I got an email asking for a half dozen things to be done 'now.' Purchase record? Sure. But being told to provide a photo of the original receipt? C'mon, man. (Aside: I suggested that if this was important, they should ask for it when one registers one's product. Since you are basically compelled to do so on your phone (bcos firmware update), you could request customers photo the receipt 'as part of the process.')

Much more to the point the other stuff in the email indicated failure to read the ticket (I was asked to "photograph all rust" when the ticket mentioned DUST), and were time wasters (please describe history of use). Had it been a 15 minute request I'd have felt better. Without cutting/pasting, I'll also say the tone of the email was disconcertingly unpleasant.

4. My own attitude was fine. I know myself; I'm super-capable of pointing out when I rhyme with 'sick.' Expressing disappointment can be done without getting personal or accusatory.

5. Interesting point about my sanity vs. their process. I see both sides, and used to be part of a large business unit where we sold software to the public. Inevitably a lot of folks didn't follow directions and caused themselves heartache. My view on that has always been "if we can reasonably help them feel better, why not do it?"

Really, all I wanted was the exact same "what's going on?" that was provided by their other rep when I was confuzzled about the initial firmware update. It was easy-peasy, all my fault due to misunderstanding the directions, and no biggie.

Which makes #5 (thanks Koyote ) the real issue here: I agree that my sanity doesn't supercede their process, but c'mon, design a process that involves saying "what's happening?" I was actually weirded out how immediately they just wanted to replace the trainer.

berner Y'all got a weird metaphor but it works, in a way. I've had direct interaction with Shimano (awesome), Garneau (humiliated myself and THAT one was ALL my fault), SRAM (great), Specialized (corporate but fine, lol) and LBS's and co-ops. And REI's bike shop locally, FWIW. I like these people, and really feel like anything I get without a price tag is "extra."

In fact, I'd be willing to pay if not covered under warranty, and said so. It's not about money, it's just about helping me solve an issue - or, in Koyote's phrasing, not 100% forcing me into your business process.
Buying the newest version or other brand & later, after receiving the new item, sending the old unit in for replacement seems fastest & least downtime. You could then repurpose the warrantied unit to someone that is in sanity distress need or experiment with accuracy of the two different brands.
Old 03-14-21, 01:28 PM
Koyote

I'm still not clear: is it under warranty, or not?

And, with apologies (again) in case I missed this detail, but have all of these communications been via email? If so, try to get someone on the phone. If you are nice as you claim to be, that is a much better way to communicate. Synchronous communication tends to be both more courteous and more productive in solving problems.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 03-14-21, 03:16 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Quoted: 3638 Post(s)
Liked 5,315 Times in 2,700 Posts
There was a special section for complaints about businesses https://www.bikeforums.net/manufactu...umer-feedback/ but it seems to have gone dormant
Old 03-14-21, 05:14 PM
guachi

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 179 Posts
I can't see a manufacturer just sending out parts to customers and letting them fix it. It's probably far easier for Wahoo to do things the way they do: the customers sends the entire unit back and Wahoo sends an entirely different unit to the customer. That's what happened when I had my Kickr Core serviced for belt whine. I sent a short video to customer service and was told to send the unit to Atlanta. I still had the original box so it was easy to send the unit off. Got a new Core in about ten days. And I'm not really finding the fault with how Wahoo is handling your issue.
Likes For guachi:
Old 03-14-21, 06:43 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked 999 Times in 710 Posts
When it comes to mechanical aptitude its easiest to assume the average consumer is completely incapable of troubleshooting a problem mostly because they usually are. You're seeing metal dust, the easiest thing is to have you send it back since it will clearly need work, and they're willing to do that, be glad they've got decent enough customer service to do so.
Old 03-14-21, 07:14 PM
Koyote

Originally Posted by Koyote
I'm still not clear: is it under warranty, or not?
Never got a response to this, so double-checked the original post: unit was purchased in August 2019. OP reports seeing a problem "recently." And the device comes with a one-year warranty.

So, problems were pretty obviously reported AFTER warranty expired. Mfr still sent a FedEx label for return, but told OP "don't expect to see a replacement right away," suggesting that they will actually replace it, even though it is out-of-warranty...But it might take a while, like pretty much everything in the Covid era. And the OP is pissed about this?

Shoot, I regret taking this seriously and offering input in the first place. Wish I had read more carefully.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 03-14-21, 09:18 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4252 Post(s)
Liked 3,866 Times in 2,579 Posts
So they are providing you a label to send the unit back and it sounds like they are sending you a new unit...that sounds like excellent news! I would say congrats on that because normally to most people that is excellent news but it seems like that is not good for you?

Getting warranty parts these days is tough but the fact someone said hey we got you after the warranty period had ended is awesome. Not everyone will do that and some manufacturers are quite strict on that. I have had customers who got shot down weeks after the warranty period was over and there was nothing we could do after arguing with them for a bit and getting nowhere.

In terms of replacement parts they may not have replacement parts or may have policies in place to not have a normal person replace them for fear of them getting hurt installing it wrong. Heck we have stuff we know how to do at the shop but the manufacturer won't let us do it until we can officially get certified by them so we have to box it and send it back. It happens, it can suck sometimes but it happens (and yes we are trying to get certified but COVID and lack of certifications can make that difficult) They might also recognize the problem and that one part may not fix it and trying to fix it may not be feasible.

I am unsure where you live but the weather last week was fairly decent in a good number of places in the U.S. so riding outside is getting doable. It could still be cold near you but in that case I would find something to do while they try to get you a new one or fix your old one. Cycling is a good activity that can help reduce stress and do a lot of other great things but sometimes we may not be able to do it or do it in the same way we are accustomed to but it is important to have other hobbies and other ways to enjoy life.

Thank you for teaching the youth, we really need it and it is especially stressful these days, my cousin is a teacher and I have several friends and clients who are also teachers and they are stressed. Most of us on the frontlines are stressing and it sucks and will probably suck for a while but we will get through this. Keep your chin up and be thankful they are supporting you. It may not be the exact answer you want but it sounds like they have your back even after their back having period is over.
Old 03-14-21, 09:27 PM
Fastfingaz

Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 13 Posts
Dear fellow cyclists I would just like to say that I did not read the entire opening post I also did not read all of your responses to the complaint and I would also like to,,,,,,,,
Old 03-14-21, 09:58 PM
Bmach

Quoted: 439 Post(s)
Liked 263 Times in 161 Posts
As far as the “don’t expect to see a replacement right away” that is normal for these COVID times. It is hard to get parts and supplies.
Old 03-14-21, 10:12 PM
Danhedonia

Yeah, I was unaware that the warranty period is a year.

Not sure why I 'did something wrong' by expressing a strong preference for dialog vs. insertion into business process. Then again, people always like to feel superior, I guess.

If you were asked to stop riding for a month, how would you feel?

I like Troul's idea of getting another, and having this one wind up going to where it can do some good. I essentially give away lots of guitars and amps to students - I can find a home for this, once fixed.
Old 03-14-21, 10:36 PM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Quoted: 848 Post(s)
Liked 1,161 Times in 671 Posts
I had issues with a Wahoo Headwind fan. I could use it manually, but Bluetooth was not functional.
They offered a return label and upon receipt would ship as replacement as soon as one became available.

I asked if I might guarantee a cross ship with a credit card, then when the new one finally arrived, I could reuse their packing to return mine.
This would also permit me to continue to use mine manually while waiting.

They approved and two weeks later I had a new one in hand.
credit card refund followed a couple day after they received my return.

customer service was top notch.

I understand some people might not wish to use a credit card for the cross ship. For such an expensive item is not unreasonable to expect you to return the item prior to replacement.

Barry
Old 03-14-21, 10:40 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4252 Post(s)
Liked 3,866 Times in 2,579 Posts

Not sure why I 'did something wrong' by expressing a strong preference for dialog vs. insertion into business process. Then again, people always like to feel superior, I guess.

I like Troul's idea of getting another, and having this one wind up going to where it can do some good. I essentially give away lots of guitars and amps to students - I can find a home for this, once fixed.
I don't know that I saw anyone saying you did something wrong. It sounds like Wahoo did something right and stood by you even when they didn't have to. I think people are saying the reaction you are having to them supporting you is way off base for sure. Also a interesting slightly non-sequitur on the American Revolution.

If I had to stop riding for a month that would suck, if I had to stop riding on a trainer for a month, that could suck if Spring weren't right around the corner and riding outside wasn't better. Plus if the option was having the manufacturer send me a brand new trainer under warranty vs not having that I would rather have the new trainer even if it meant some waiting. I could go jogging, hiking, biking outside, yoga, Sweatin' to the Oldies, power walking, rollerblading, roller skating, dancing, Jazzercise, parkour, crab walking and probably a whole host of other fun activities while I wait. Or do what Troul said and get another trainer maybe even see if the local thrift store has one to use in the interim (or buy a new one and donate the warrantied one to those in need)

Giving away guitars and amps is a good thing. It is also a good reminder I need to play more.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 03-15-21, 12:00 AM
Danhedonia

Thanks - truly appreciate it. You're right - I should be grateful instead of resentful. I wondered why I felt so salty, and went back and just really didn't like the first email. The rest is me just being ... dehydrated, and stressed out about giving up riding for even a moment.

Which has to do more with work than Wahoo Fitness. Thanks for helping screw my head back on straight.
Old 03-15-21, 04:56 AM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1726 Post(s)
Liked 1,350 Times in 705 Posts
Late to the party here, but do have some input with this example. This summer a customer came in with a Kickr that was three years old and had a bearing problem. I contacted Wahoo and arranged a fix. They sent a replacement Kickr. It took 3 weeks. Yep, even this past summer the shortage started.
Old 03-15-21, 05:25 AM
Koyote

You keep suggesting that your feelings should dictate Wahoo’s business practices. I think this belief is the source of your difficulties.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 03-15-21, 07:58 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 997 Posts
Originally Posted by Bmach
As far as the “don’t expect to see a replacement right away” that is normal for these COVID times. It is hard to get parts and supplies.
FWIW, the Kickr Core seems available (in stock) to purchase on Wahoo's site at the moment. Though perhaps especially with out of warranty replacements, the replacement unit would be a refurb, not new.
Old 03-15-21, 08:06 AM
Mojo31
-------

Quoted: 9529 Post(s)
Liked 6,269 Times in 3,457 Posts

If asked to stop riding a trainer for a month? Well, okay, I'd just ride outside. It's better in every respect.
Old 03-15-21, 10:14 AM
La Tortue

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 27 Posts
This is just another example why I love my LBS. I buy from them and take any problems back to them. They always take care of me no questions asked.
Old 03-15-21, 11:38 AM
Penmakerar

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
We, and I include myself, have become such an "Instant gratification" society that we get upset when we're told we have to wait. We all need to learn to be more patient. Everything isn't instant.
Likes For Penmakerar:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.