Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

How Short Should I make My Chain?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-21, 07:06 AM
branbro4935
GT Aggressor Pro Upgrades

Bikes: GT Aggressor pro 27.5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My bike is a GT Aggressor Pro the front crank set is set up with 42/34/24T chain rings, my back is a 11-34T 8-speed cassette. I am upgrading my front crankset to a 1x, it is going to be a 32T Round, narrow wide chain ring. I would like to shorten my chain but to be honest I don't know how many links to shorten it. Can someone help me out? I can try to provide more info if you need it. I have no idea what my chain specs are in terms of spacing. My bike is brand new I just purchased it 2 weeks ago from Dick's Sporting goods, it's a GT Aggressor Pro 27.5 inch, with 21 inch frame.
Old 03-31-21, 07:21 AM
aggiegrads

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 309 Times in 180 Posts
I would start with enough chain to go into the largest (or only) gear in front and the largest cog in the back and then add two full links. Because you are new, maybe even go with three links. As long as there is no slack when you are in the two smallest gears, you will be fine. It is much better for the chain to be too long than too short, and it is better to make the chain shorter rather than longer.
Likes For aggiegrads:
Old 03-31-21, 07:41 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4201 Post(s)
Liked 3,859 Times in 2,307 Posts
Originally Posted by aggiegrads
I would start with enough chain to go into the largest (or only) gear in front and the largest cog in the back and then add two full links. Because you are new, maybe even go with three links. As long as there is no slack when you are in the two smallest gears, you will be fine. It is much better for the chain to be too long than too short, and it is better (sub easier) to make the chain shorter rather than longer.
I generally go with the longest chain that works as one can always shorten the chain later with less cost/hassle. Andy
Old 03-31-21, 08:07 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,809 Times in 3,317 Posts
Both replies work. I'd also go by what the manufacturer of your DR recommends. If Shimano, then look for the DM or SI for the exact model of your rear DR. Some of their models they have a different procedure depending on whether your front is 1x, 2x, or 3x.

https://si.shimano.com/#/

The important thing is that it not be so long that your rear DR cage hits it's rear stop or quits putting tension on the lower run of chain. And that it not be so short that the jockey wheel is in danger of trying to do a weird and dangerous mating ritual with any of the cogs. <grn>

There are a few links either way in length you can usually go from ideal.
Old 04-01-21, 05:48 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,822 Times in 1,541 Posts
I am curious as to why....go 1x without going to the big range cassette, seems like there will a lot of low end loss?

Old 04-02-21, 08:21 PM
cpach

Bikes: Too many. Giant Trance X 29, Surly Midnight Special get the most time.

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 236 Posts
Generally, for 1x you usually size the chain over the largest cog and the chainring and add 4 links (instead of 2 for most multi chainring drivetrains), which is what I'd recommend in this case.
Old 04-03-21, 05:44 PM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 448 Times in 337 Posts
Short enough so it doesn't double over itself when you run small-small (which you shouldn't) and long enough so it doesn't bind and tear the derailleur out of the hanger when you try to run big-big (which you shouldn't).. There are websites and books that teach this stuff. There's probably and FAQ for it somewhere on this site, too.