Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Where do I find affordable disc-ready 20" wheels for a folding bike with disc brakes?

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Where do I find affordable disc-ready 20" wheels for a folding bike with disc brakes?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-21, 08:45 AM
Stan_W

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am looking to buy a folding bike with disc brakes on Amazon for less than $225. If I need a new wheel, how much will it cost? Where would I buy one?

The manufacturers that I am looking at are Foraging Dimple or Hiland/Huntaway. I am thinking that if I could live with non-disc brakes, new wheels would be cheap and easy to get. I don't usually damage a wheel, but you never know.
Old 04-11-21, 03:14 PM
Nyah
QR-disc must die!!!

Bikes: '99 Trek 520, '20 Kona Sutra (FOR SALE 48cm), '21 Simon-Bikes mini-velo and a chromoly-framed folding bicycle with drop-bars and V-brakes, that rolls even while folded.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 147 Posts
Originally Posted by Stan_W
I am looking to buy a folding bike with disc brakes on Amazon for less than $225. If I need a new wheel, how much will it cost? Where would I buy one?

The manufacturers that I am looking at are Foraging Dimple or Hiland/Huntaway. I am thinking that if I could live with non-disc brakes, new wheels would be cheap and easy to get. I don't usually damage a wheel, but you never know.
I recommend avoiding disc brake bicycles/frames/forks unless they have thru-axles. Since no mass-produced folding bicycle company has followed this advancement, I recommend choosing something with V-brakes instead. I think you'd be a lot happier with them in both the short term and the long, than with disc brakes that are bodged together with QR-skewers.

Last edited by Nyah; 04-11-21 at 03:53 PM.
Old 04-11-21, 03:35 PM
BikeLite

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 93 Posts
QR skewers are fine for most any folding bike.
Likes For BikeLite:
Old 04-11-21, 04:00 PM
Nyah
QR-disc must die!!!

Bikes: '99 Trek 520, '20 Kona Sutra (FOR SALE 48cm), '21 Simon-Bikes mini-velo and a chromoly-framed folding bicycle with drop-bars and V-brakes, that rolls even while folded.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 147 Posts
Sorry, I forgot to add the word folding. No mass-produced folding bicycle company has followed this advancement (thru-axles). The ones trying to sell disc brakes with QR-skewers are hoping that people don't catch on to them.
Old 04-11-21, 04:48 PM
Pinigis 

Bikes: Origami Gazelle, Origami Crane 8, Origami Cricket 7

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 241 Posts
Through axles are nice, but not necessary. QR skewers fave been used on bikes with disc brakes for decades, they work just fine.
Likes For Pinigis:
Old 04-11-21, 04:49 PM
Pinigis 

Bikes: Origami Gazelle, Origami Crane 8, Origami Cricket 7

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 241 Posts
Oh, you can pick up a set of wheels for under $50
Old 04-11-21, 06:44 PM
pinholecam

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 96 Posts
AliExpress will have lots of options or some other website that has sources to the cheap China wheels.
Over here in Singapore, there are many such options.
Quality varies of course from maker to maker.

Regarding QR skewers on disc brake wheels, been using them on my Change Bike for a year now and ridden extensively (and fast ) with them, no issues.
In fact QR skewers was what was available before thru axels on MTB and road bikes.
Likes For pinholecam:
Old 04-12-21, 02:54 AM
Geepig

Bikes: Romet Jubilat x 4, Wigry x 1, Turing x 1

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 151 Posts
Originally Posted by Nyah
I recommend avoiding disc brake bicycles/frames/forks unless they have thru-axles. Since no mass-produced folding bicycle company has followed this advancement, I recommend choosing something with V-brakes instead. I think you'd be a lot happier with them in both the short term and the long, than with disc brakes that are bodged together with QR-skewers.
The bodged mentions of 'no QR skewers for disk folders' are really tiresome. Our building maintenance services are like that: they post the message that we have to take everything off our balconies because they want to do maintenance, then they pat them themselves on the back - but take what off? Chairs, plants, tables, sure - but what about the bolted on awning, sat dish or clothes dryer? What do they want to maintain, how long will it take, will it be noisy or dusty? No mention.

Argue the QR point, or forget it.