Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Where'd You Ride Today? (New & Improved)

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Where'd You Ride Today? (New & Improved)

Old 08-05-18, 12:53 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2925 Post(s)
Liked 2,921 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by curbtender
Took the Fisher out for a run and saw this tree. Reminded me of "It's a mad mad world". Wasn't the cash under the 'W'?

I sometimes miss my HK II from this era. Fishers were nice but slightly overbuilt bikes. I loved the idea of the Evolution HS but always though the the upper cup and locknut needed a few more threads

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 08-05-18, 01:32 PM
Sir_Name 

Bikes: are fun!

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 466 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 272 Posts

Last edited by Sir_Name; 08-05-18 at 01:35 PM.
Old 08-05-18, 01:35 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7345 Post(s)
Liked 2,450 Times in 1,429 Posts
I rode 20 miles round trip to buy a cassette extracting tool. It was gloriously beautiful, and I swam in the swimming hole, too. I just took my shoes off and went in with my clothes on. It felt great, and getting out and drying on the bike felt great, too.

GPS tracks

Where the Delaware and Hudson Canal used to be:

The Rondout Creek, running fast and high after lots of rain.

The downstream view:

The Catskill mountains in the distance:

I got some blueberries at Kelder's farm. Our friend built the world's largest garden gnome, as verified by the Guinness Book of World Records:

The swimming hole along Peter's Kill:

As I was leaving, some other cyclists pulled up, and I told them they should do what I did, because I had such a great time.

I don't know why my images are not displaying!

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.

Last edited by noglider; 08-05-18 at 01:38 PM.
Old 08-05-18, 04:27 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1604 Post(s)
Liked 2,569 Times in 1,217 Posts

I'm just amazed that you can still find areas around here, on a Sunday afternoon, and not another soul in sight.
Old 08-05-18, 05:27 PM
Raleigh74

Bikes: '74 Raleigh Professional, '73 Raleigh Grand Prix, '84 Nishiki Medalist, '85 Gazelle Champion Mondial AB, '81 Peugeot Course, '79 Univega Gran Rally, '85 Torpado Super Strada

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
I rode 20 miles round trip to buy a cassette extracting tool. It was gloriously beautiful, and I swam in the swimming hole, too. I just took my shoes off and went in with my clothes on. It felt great, and getting out and drying on the bike felt great, too.

Envious of your stomping ground, reminds me of the Asheville, NC/Blue Ridge Mountains area where I used to live. I’m still close, but not biking distance...not for me anyway. Only an hour and change away but substantially lower in elevation, a good 10 degrees warmer here on average...and the humidity, oh god the humidity.
Old 08-05-18, 08:49 PM
DQRider 
Old Boy

Bikes: Mostly 1st-generation, top-of-the-line, non-unicrown MTBs/ATBs: All 1984 models: Dawes Ranger, Peugeot Canyon Express, Ross Mt. Whitney (chrome), Schwinn High Sierra, and a 1983 Trek 850.

Mentioned: 134 Post(s)
Quoted: 984 Post(s)
Liked 1,715 Times in 611 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider

Where the Delaware and Hudson Canal used to be:

The Rondout Creek, running fast and high after lots of rain.

The downstream view:

The Catskill mountains in the distance:

I got some blueberries at Kelder's farm. Our friend built the world's largest garden gnome, as verified by the Guinness Book of World Records:

The swimming hole along Peter's Kill:
As I was leaving, some other cyclists pulled up, and I told them they should do what I did, because I had such a great time.
I don't know why my images are not displaying!
What an EPIC ride!

I saw your images just fine. This is what it's all about, IMHO. Get out there and explore your local world on a bicycle, just like we did when we were kids. Love the Gnome!

Thanks for the wonderful post.

Roulez pour la joie, jamais pour la douleur.

USMC 1981-1991 Semper Fi!
Old 08-05-18, 10:03 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3897 Post(s)
Liked 4,824 Times in 2,227 Posts

I always have a hard time ordering pics quickly from my phone. But I wanted to try a new trail I had passed but not traveled. It was what I call a Jeep trail = hard surface embedded rocks and large rock in washout sections. After about 8 miles on a rigid frame with 30mm tires the trail was no fun for the wrists (mainly).

The trail takes off from the Carbon River Entrance to Rainier NP. It stays below the road and goes under the single lane bridge as you can see. Down to Orting then back to Buckley.

More fun than my typical regular rides.

Last edited by Wildwood; 08-05-18 at 10:10 PM.
Old 08-06-18, 05:47 AM
Vonruden

Bikes: Looking for a Baylis or Wizard in 59-62cm range

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 115 Posts
Spent the weekend in Philly for my sons basketball, I had a few hours to slip away and explore on the beater bike.

Pliny the Elder was on tap at Monks, had a couple as well as a La Fin du Monde and scallops.

Old 08-06-18, 07:29 AM
Ballenxj

Bikes: Diamond Back Apex, Mongoose IBOC Aluminum Road Bike, SR road bike

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 116 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood

I always have a hard time ordering pics quickly from my phone. But I wanted to try a new trail I had passed but not traveled. It was what I call a Jeep trail = hard surface embedded rocks and large rock in washout sections. After about 8 miles on a rigid frame with 30mm tires the trail was no fun for the wrists (mainly).

The trail takes off from the Carbon River Entrance to Rainier NP. It stays below the road and goes under the single lane bridge as you can see. Down to Orting then back to Buckley.

More fun than my typical regular rides.
NICE! I love seeing, reading, and hearing about historic sites such as this. Thanks for the photos.
Old 08-06-18, 08:48 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7345 Post(s)
Liked 2,450 Times in 1,429 Posts
@DQRider, it turned out that my Privacy Badger browser plug-in was withholding my images. I disabled it, and now I see them.

And @Raleigh74, my appreciation for Ulster County, NY continues to grow after six years there. I'm there on weekends and back in The City on weekends. We are very lucky. We recently showed some out-of-state guests the upstate area, and they were blown away. One of them said it's like Kentucky, which doesn't surprise me.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 08-06-18, 08:54 AM
-holiday76
No one cares

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 64 Posts
I rode from Penn Station to Chelsea Market via NYC citibike, as i've been doing for several weeks now.

Old 08-06-18, 12:57 PM
abshipp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 3349 Post(s)
Liked 3,599 Times in 1,238 Posts
I ended up with an unexpected night ride Friday. After work I was so exhausted that I laid down to rest my eyes for a bit, and all of a sudden two hours had passed.

I left the house around 8:15PM, almost right at sunset. Had a nice, cool, calm 22 mile ride out in the country. I did get passed by more cars than I expected, which is always a little nerve-wracking at night since its much harder to tell if they are moving over when you can't see the road behind you. Thankfully everyone was very courteous and gave me lots of room, which is also a resounding review for the tail-light I use! I have reflective bands on my ankles, but I do still need a reflective vest if I want to keep riding at night.

Saturday was a hot 32 miles on my Super Le Tour, my longest ride on it so far. I would like to ride it on an upcoming 100K this weekend, but I'm still not sure. It's not the most comfortable bike to be on, but I feel like I owe it to the bike to take it on a challenging ride, not just easy 20 mile evening loops.

Here's the only good picture from this weekend, I loved the texture of the road and the shine of the chrome:

Old 08-07-18, 05:33 AM
LucasHartong

Bikes: '83 Viner Special Professional, '91 Pinarello Asolo 'spumoni', '93 Trek 930, '94 Giant Cadex CFR3, '97 Giant Atlanta MTB, '99 B1 Weblite Cross , '16 Cube Peloton Race.

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 375 Times in 97 Posts
Recently I rode with a couple of new friends in the south of The Netherlands on a glorious sunny day. Pictures were taken by one of the riders. I ride my steel Giovanni timetrial bike. Giovanni was made by Slikkersport (Dutch) and I really love these bikes. I own another one, in aluminium, but prefer the steel one. I bought this Giovanni as frame only and built it up with time-correct parts. The only problem: tracks were dry and my 23x700c got stuck in the sand several times... Well, no record time then.

Old 08-08-18, 08:43 AM
ButchA

Bikes: 1985 Fuji Del Rey, 25" frame, 12 speed

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
...Just a very quick 8.25 mi ride through the neighborhood side streets, before the heat & humidity started and next thing you know, it'll be 94°F and 80% humidity...

I went out around 9:30am this morning and it was already 82°F with a "feels like" temp of 90°F. As seen in the photo, I made the mistake of not bringing a water bottle with me, figuring it's just an easy peasy, very quick, 8 mile ride. Pffffttt... I'll be home in a half hour, you know what I mean? Lesson learned --- ALWAYS bring a water bottle with you, no matter what! Man, I was so thirsty by the time I got home. Oops...

Old 08-08-18, 08:41 PM
DQRider 
Old Boy

Bikes: Mostly 1st-generation, top-of-the-line, non-unicrown MTBs/ATBs: All 1984 models: Dawes Ranger, Peugeot Canyon Express, Ross Mt. Whitney (chrome), Schwinn High Sierra, and a 1983 Trek 850.

Mentioned: 134 Post(s)
Quoted: 984 Post(s)
Liked 1,715 Times in 611 Posts
Lemonade and the Nemesis Cloud

Back on July 15th, I posted about riding to see my Dad during his battle with cancer.

Well, on July 28th, he left us, peacefully, in his sleep. Now relatives are arriving from around the country to mourn his passing.

One of Dad's favorite sayings was, "When life throws you lemons, make lemonade."

My son Sean flew in from Hollywood to attend the funeral. My lemonade recipe included a ride with him down on my favorite paths in Hastings on Tuesday night.

I was extremely frustrated with the lighting conditions during our ride. It seemed that this particular cloud was determined to block the sun from illuminating any of my shots:

So I had to set a ludicrous ISO of 1600 - 3200 in order to get a fast enough shutter-speed to avoid blurring. This rendered all my photos grainy and dull - My apologies for the poor image quality.

Still, it was a beautiful ride, and we had a very poignant conversation about our memories with Dad. I was riding a bike that I just recently completed stage 1 construction on - a 1984 Peugeot Canyon Express:

Stage 1 construction means mechanically fitting all the components and testing them so I know that they will work together on the finished bike. Stage 2 is stripping it down to bare metal and painting. Stage 3 is final assembly.

This bike is one of the first generation mountain bikes from Peugeot; the top-of-the-line, above the "Orient Express" by virtue of being a lighter frame and having better components. So I am making only minimal modifications with the focus on comfort and reliability. I really like the way it rides so far. There is a lot of surface corrosion to repair, and I will be doing a full repaint and custom decal application over the winter.

We stopped at the usual places in Hastings...

Including my favorite restaurant in the old part of town, "El Mexican" - (Which Sean thought was a hilarious name for the place - and said he would have a lot of fun showing his Mexican friends out in CA.)

When we arrived they had been closed for 15 minutes. But when they saw us pawing at the door like lost puppies, they let us in and fed us "street tacos" with chips and salsa.

After thanking them profusely, we rode back to the truck and headed for home. This was a badly-needed break from the hassle of funeral arrangements and all the other crap I have to deal with in the wake of Dad's passing.

I look forward to the ABCE (All British Cycling Event) coming up next month, after all this unpleasantness is behind me.

Roulez pour la joie, jamais pour la douleur.

USMC 1981-1991 Semper Fi!
Old 08-08-18, 09:29 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3582 Post(s)
Liked 3,394 Times in 1,928 Posts
Originally Posted by DQRider

Back on July 15th, I posted about riding to see my Dad during his battle with cancer.

Well, on July 28th, he left us, peacefully, in his sleep.
I'm sorry for your loss. Memory is what sustains us. About a week before my Dad died (also from cancer), he drew a self-portrait:

Old 08-11-18, 10:35 AM
ButchA

Bikes: 1985 Fuji Del Rey, 25" frame, 12 speed

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
@DQRider Oh man, sorry to hear that. You have my sympathy.

I just got back from a quick 13.65 mile ride (my normal ride, same thing every time...) down to the James River and along Riverside Drive and back. 55:19 was the time, including the nasty hill near the Univ of Richmond, but I make it up it like "the little engine that could".

The route....

Anyone want some Sushi? Ironic photo... My '85 Fuji was made in Japan, so look across the street, and you'll see Osaka Restaurant & Sushi Bar!

Lastly, here's the new traffic circle/roundabout that they build last year at the end of Riverside Drive.

Old 08-11-18, 12:34 PM
Bianchi84

Bikes: 1984 Bianchi Tipo Corsa, 1985 Cannondale SM600 (24/26)

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked 349 Times in 190 Posts
Short Greenway Ride

I just installed new Campy brake pads and Continental Grand Prix Classic tires and went for a test-ride on a Greenway by me. I was skeptical about the tires since they insalled so wide compared to my old 23c tires, but I am more than happy with how they handle. And miraculously, no brake squeal!

Old 08-11-18, 02:20 PM
ryansu

Bikes: 2009 Handsome Devil, 1987 Trek 520 Cirrus, 1978 Motobecane Grand Touring, 1987 Nishiki Cresta GT, 1989 Specialized Allez Former bikes; 1986 Miyata Trail Runner, 1979 Miyata 912, 2011 VO Rando, 1999 Cannondale R800, 1986 Schwinn Passage

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 367 Posts
@DQRider so sorry for your loss. My father passed in 2012 just shy of his 82nd birthday and I miss him and think of him most every day. I am glad you had your son and bike rides to occupy you during this time and I hope the family gathering is fun in addition to the mourning, my siblings and mother and I had alot of laughs through the tears remembering dad at his memorial. I joked that I grew up in a bilingual household ; English and Ron oddly I knew what he meant by thing or whatsit even when my Mom didn't. Seattle has been graced with many talented Japanese baseball players and I don't think he ever pronounced their names the same way twice.

Nice Peugeot I missed out on a lower end Montreal Express that was dirt cheap so I am always on the look out for an 80's Pug MTB. From 10 feet away that bike doesn't appear to need a repaint but based on your past bikes I am sure it will turn out to be a beauty when you are done.

Peace be with you sir.

Last edited by ryansu; 08-11-18 at 02:24 PM.
Old 08-12-18, 11:20 AM
obrentharris 

Bikes: Indeed!

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1506 Post(s)
Liked 3,461 Times in 1,129 Posts
Back on the Bike at Last!
I've been battling "the cold that refuses to die" for the last month. Finally I felt well enough for a ride yesterday. My wife and I took the tandem and our son-in-law joined us with our two grandchildren in tow. Even when he's towing 95 pounds of kids, trailer, blankets, and diapers we still work hard to keep up.

We all celebrated with cupcakes halfway through the ride.

Brent
Old 08-12-18, 04:10 PM
Korax

Bikes: 2016 Specialized Roll Sport Step Thru, 2020 Trek Verve+ 2 Low Step

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Hanalei Bay

Cloudy day but nice ride to Hanalei Bay on my 95 Trek
Old 08-12-18, 06:37 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4509 Post(s)
Liked 6,374 Times in 3,666 Posts
Normally don't ride except to commute for the most part and that sucks but it is what it is.

Today I went on the Providence Bridge Pedal, they kick the cars off of I5 and I405 so we can ride on Interstate freeways, pretty cool to have them to ourselves. They run the route back and forth over a bunch of the other bridges too. Basic route was 18mi starting at the top of the Marquam bridge of I5 and going the wrong way down it to also go the wrong way over the I405 Fremont bridge.

I did almost two loops of the route and rode both of these three times. Pretty cool, I had never done it before, Although we used to go up to the top of the Fremont and fly into downtown back in the day

Sorry, no pic's, forgot the camera, thought it was in my pack where it normally is but no.
Old 08-12-18, 08:10 PM
Kdogbikes

Bikes: Gitane tdf,Schwinn 12.2,2 continentals,miyata310,univega supra soort,couple peugeots,ou8,ou10,a few mtb's and other bikes

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked 148 Times in 74 Posts

Got in a nice evening ride to meet up with my wife and kids at a cool spot to get fries and hot fudge sundae.
Old 08-13-18, 02:11 PM
MezzoLew

Bikes: Mezzo D9, Nigel Dean Tour Master

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 30 Posts
Just returned from a short break in Norfolk, England. Cromer was our base - well known for its crabs. Yes we did buy some fresh crab. Also enjoyed some very special ice-cream - Christmas Pudding flavour (https://www.ronaldo-ices.co.uk/news-a...e-creams-2014/) Took my sons bike and mine for a ride and here are some photos of the morning ride.

All packed up ready for our cycle ride in Norfolk - Upper Sheringham Park! The Honda Stepwagon is a great vehicle and can swallow a lot considering it is a Japanese van.

Close to Welbourne Station - spot the train!

The North Sea coast

And the steam train is now approaching

A short break with my Nigel Dean touring Reynolds 531ST steel framed road bike. A great ride even over some non surfaced roads.

Last edited by MezzoLew; 08-13-18 at 02:15 PM.
Old 08-13-18, 07:40 PM
nesteel 

Bikes: See the signature....

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 191 Times in 114 Posts
Originally Posted by DQRider

Well, on July 28th, he left us, peacefully, in his sleep. Now relatives are arriving from around the country to mourn his passing.

One of Dad's favorite sayings was, "When life throws you lemons, make lemonade."

My son Sean flew in from Hollywood to attend the funeral. My lemonade recipe included a ride with him down on my favorite paths in Hastings on Tuesday night.

I was extremely frustrated with the lighting conditions during our ride. It seemed that this particular cloud was determined to block the sun from illuminating any of my shots:

So I had to set a ludicrous ISO of 1600 - 3200 in order to get a fast enough shutter-speed to avoid blurring. This rendered all my photos grainy and dull - My apologies for the poor image quality.

Still, it was a beautiful ride, and we had a very poignant conversation about our memories with Dad. I was riding a bike that I just recently completed stage 1 construction on - a 1984 Peugeot Canyon Express:

Stage 1 construction means mechanically fitting all the components and testing them so I know that they will work together on the finished bike. Stage 2 is stripping it down to bare metal and painting. Stage 3 is final assembly.

This bike is one of the first generation mountain bikes from Peugeot; the top-of-the-line, above the "Orient Express" by virtue of being a lighter frame and having better components. So I am making only minimal modifications with the focus on comfort and reliability. I really like the way it rides so far. There is a lot of surface corrosion to repair, and I will be doing a full repaint and custom decal application over the winter.

We stopped at the usual places in Hastings...

Including my favorite restaurant in the old part of town, "El Mexican" - (Which Sean thought was a hilarious name for the place - and said he would have a lot of fun showing his Mexican friends out in CA.)

When we arrived they had been closed for 15 minutes. But when they saw us pawing at the door like lost puppies, they let us in and fed us "street tacos" with chips and salsa.

After thanking them profusely, we rode back to the truck and headed for home. This was a badly-needed break from the hassle of funeral arrangements and all the other crap I have to deal with in the wake of Dad's passing.

I look forward to the ABCE (All British Cycling Event) coming up next month, after all this unpleasantness is behind me.

If there was ever a single photo to define a life lived to its fullest, that first one would be it. My condolences.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.